My encounter with Doug Whaley

gfalk87

A group of friends and myself were at a downtown bar before going to the Sabres-Flyers Game 4 last Wednesday when in walked Doug Whaley (Bills assistant GM for those who dont know). After a few minutes of wondering whether to approach him or not, my friend and I went up and introduced ourselves. Although he didn't tell us any earth shattering or secret news about the team, he was a very nice guy that did dive into a few football topics. Here is what he had to say: (paraphrasing everything)

On the lockout: He doesn't think any games will get canceled, but he does see the lockout lasting until July or August.

If Newton and Dareus are gone at three will you be looking at offense or defense?: He said I would look towards defense.

On Shawne Merriman's health: He said from every report they've gotten he's 100 percent.

On Aaron Maybin's status with the team: After a laugh, he said he wasn't in good standing, but Dave Wannstedt has plans to utilize him better.

Are Dareus and Miller as advertised: Yes they are both legit!

The difference between Fairley and Dareus: He said Fairley is a good pass rusher, but for the defense the Bills are looking to run Dareus is a much better fit.

This is all I have and like I said its nothing earth shattering, but I figured I would share it. It was a cool experience and I was glad he took a few minutes to discuss football.

Thanks for sharing gfalk. Interesting stuff.

In about two years Whaley will likely be our GM. Nice to know he is fan friendly.

Interesting comment about Wanny having plans for Maybin since Wanny is technically only ILB coach--this must be other duties as assigned as Assistant Head Coach.

Chan (showing Wanny film of Maybin): Dave--see what you can do with 58.

Wanny: Since when do we give slow cornerbacks jerseys in the 50's? I didn't know you wanted me to work with the secondary?

Edited by JoeF

A group of friends and myself were at a downtown bar before going to the Sabres-Flyers Game 4 last Wednesday when in walked Doug Whaley (Bills assistant GM for those who dont know). After a few minutes of wondering whether to approach him or not, my friend and I went up and introduced ourselves. Although he didn't tell us any earth shattering or secret news about the team, he was a very nice guy that did dive into a few football topics. Here is what he had to say: (paraphrasing everything)

On the lockout: He doesn't think any games will get canceled, but he does see the lockout lasting until July or August.

If Newton and Dareus are gone at three will you be looking at offense or defense?: He said I would look towards defense.

On Shawne Merriman's health: He said from every report they've gotten he's 100 percent.

On Aaron Maybin's status with the team: After a laugh, he said he wasn't in good standing, but Dave Wannstedt has plans to utilize him better.

The difference between Fairley and Dareus: He said Fairley is a good pass rusher, but for the defense the Bills are looking to run Dareus is a much better fit.

This is all I have and like I said its nothing earth shattering, but I figured I would share it. It was a cool experience and I was glad he took a few minutes to discuss football.

Terrific ! Not surprisingly, he did not divulge much but the bolded is quite telling about what he thinks of the QB prospects at that pick position.

In any case, nice to read about actual encounters with the FO folks.

Thanks for sharing gfalk. Interesting stuff.

In about two years Whaley will likely be our GM. Nice to know he is fan friendly.

Interesting comment about Wanny having plans for Maybin since Wanny is technically only ILB coach--this must be other duties as assigned as Assistant Head Coach.

Chan (showing Wanny film of Maybin): Dave--see what you can do with 58.

Wanny: Since when do we give slow cornerbacks jerseys in the 50's? I didn't know you wanted me to work with the secondary?

Considering the Pitt-PSU ties, maybe waterboy? Or designated stadium cleaner?

Pretty cool. I do hope we go Von Miller. It's looking more and more like that's the case.

Years ago I was on some commuter flight and Ted Cottrell sat across the aisle from me. After a couple minutes of conversation I thought to myself how would I feel if some guy comes up to me and starts talking "shop" about JIT & Lean Mfg & Kaizen, etc..........it would suck

Of course Cottrells & Whaleys job are much COOLER than mine

This is the most interesting part I think. We know Buddy has said they want to play and draft for a 3-4, but we don’t know exactly if it’s the Wade Phillips type of penetrating 3-4 or the more traditional Pitt style 2 gap 3-4. By saying Dareus fits what they want to do more than Fairley, that pretty much indicates we are doing the 2 gap Pitt style.

I wonder what the means for KW. He is our best player but he doesn’t fit the mold of a 2 gap NG. I am not just talking height and weight here, but how he plays. I think he needs to make the switch to DE to be the best he can be and help our team the most. I also wonder with Whaley on the staff, will we follow the Steelers method of drafting defensive players and tend to spend 1st rounder’s on lineman and later rounder’s on LBs. We did that last year and the Steelers have been very successful doing it that way, I guess we will see if it continues.

He also laughed when you asked about Maybin hahaha. He was with the Steelers at the time and I bet they had him as a 5th rounder hahaha.

Years ago I was on some commuter flight and Ted Cottrell sat across the aisle from me. After a couple minutes of conversation I thought to myself how would I feel if some guy comes up to me and starts talking "shop" about JIT & Lean Mfg & Kaizen, etc..........it would suck

Of course Cottrells & Whaleys job are much COOLER than mine

I spent an unreasonable amount of time trying to figure out exactly it is that you do. And after that 15 seconds was over, I just used Google.

This is the most interesting part I think. We know Buddy has said they want to play and draft for a 3-4, but we don’t know exactly if it’s the Wade Phillips type of penetrating 3-4 or the more traditional Pitt style 2 gap 3-4. By saying Dareus fits what they want to do more than Fairley, that pretty much indicates we are doing the 2 gap Pitt style.

I wonder what the means for KW. He is our best player but he doesn’t fit the mold of a 2 gap NG. I am not just talking height and weight here, but how he plays. I think he needs to make the switch to DE to be the best he can be and help our team the most. I also wonder with Whaley on the staff, will we follow the Steelers method of drafting defensive players and tend to spend 1st rounder’s on lineman and later rounder’s on LBs. We did that last year and the Steelers have been very successful doing it that way, I guess we will see if it continues.

He also laughed when you asked about Maybin hahaha. He was with the Steelers at the time and I bet they had him as a 5th rounder hahaha.

Pitt has actually been split with their high picks. The last 2 drafts they have drafted the lines high, but the previous few years, their high picks included RB, WR, and a number of DBs and LBs.

Since it's wanny who has plans for Maybin, can we infer that he will line up as an inside backer? Maybe rush from there.

I just figured that Wanny plans for Maybin to get him his coffee every morning and become his full time chauffeur.

Since it's wanny who has plans for Maybin, can we infer that he will line up as an inside backer? Maybe rush from there.

I'm not sure why any Bills Fan is paying much attention to Wanny's title...Regardless of title He'll have the last word on the Defense...You can pretty much bank on it... B-)

I don't think it means what you think. The feeling we get is that they are going to run variable fronts. Dareus gives them the flexibility to play him at DE in 30 fronts and then kick him inside next to KW when they go to four man fronts. He can dominate from either position. Much like Seymour did for the Pats*.

I'd be surprised if they didn't continue to play to KW's strengths.

GO BILLS!!!

Pitt has actually been split with their high picks. The last 2 drafts they have drafted the lines high, but the previous few years, their high picks included RB, WR, and a number of DBs and LBs.

Yea I know they have taken a lot of other positions, I just meant DL v LB. There was an article someone posted recently about how teh Steelers target late round LBs. I think their only 1st rounder in maybe ten years is Timmons, but they take late rounders all the time. maybe its jsut coincidence, but the article made it seem otherwise.

I don't think it means what you think. The feeling we get is that they are going to run variable fronts. Dareus gives them the flexibility to play him at DE in 30 fronts and then kick him inside next to KW when they go to four man fronts. He can dominate from either position. Much like Seymour did for the Pats*.

I'd be surprised if they didn't continue to play to KW's strengths.

GO BILLS!!!

I didnt think of it that way but I guess that could be what he meant. I guess I am assuming they think Fairley is a multi front player and maybe they dont. very good point K-9

Edited by Thoner7