The birther issue

Peace

Is there a non-Troll person here who is in the 70% of registered Republicans who questions whether Obama was born here? If so, why? And have you see nthe copy of the birth certificate that is all over the Internet?

Serious responses will be considered as applications for the ignore button.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there a non-Troll person here who is in the 70% of registered Republicans who questions whether Obama was born here? If so, why? And have you see nthe copy of the birth certificate that is all over the Internet?

:lol: :lol:

Seventy percent of registered Republicans are birthers?

Really?

You get that from a DailyKos poll?

PS: Brewer vetoed the bill.

CBS-NYTimes poll last week. 1/3 of Republicans believe he was born here. Embarrassing.

CBS-NYTimes poll last week. 1/3 of Republicans believe he was born here. Embarrassing.

I had to wonder at that poll - specifically, if it was registered Republicans, or if it included independents who vote conservative, or if it's people who "self-identified" as Republicans in the poll itself? Or even if CBS-NYT cherry-picked their sample set (e.g. performing the poll at "Birther" gatherings).

Or maybe it's an honest and accurate poll - I don't know, I haven't seen it, just heard the results reported. I can just think of more than a few ways that could be a bull **** number.

A third of something equals 70%?

You're right. That is embarrassing.

And actually, according to the poll you mentioned linked here, a full 25% of Americans don't believe he was born in the US.

And here, of course, is the DailyKOS/PPP "Shocker" poll (all PPP polls are somehow Shocker polls) that shows 58% of Republicans are birthers.

That, of course, is followed by this 2007 poll showing that 35% of Democrats believe George Bush knew about 9/11 in advance.

In other words, all of those numbers would drop to below 10% if people didn't find the need to keep mixing hyperbole with talking and having polls about these stupid topics.

Edited by LABillzFan

And actually, according to the poll you mentioned linked here, a full 25% of Americans don't believe he was born in the US.

And here, of course, is the DailyKOS/PPP "Shocker" poll (all PPP polls are somehow Shocker polls) that shows 58% of Republicans are birthers.

That, of course, is followed by this 2007 poll showing that 35% of Democrats believe George Bush knew about 9/11 in advance.

In other words, all of those numbers would drop to below 10% if people didn't find the need to keep mixing hyperbole with talking and having polls about these stupid topics.

Oh Come on! Don't ruin it for him, hardly a difference between a 1/3 and 70%.

Only dipshits focus in on these sort of things, the only thing that this poll tells me is that there are a bunch of dumbasses in this world that will believe anything.

Here's another (*^*&%^$^#poll for peace and his kind to focus in on.

There aren't a lot of great public numbers on the partisan breakdown of adherents to that conspiracy theory, but the University of Ohio yesterday shared with us the crosstabs of a 2006 poll they did with Scripps Howard that's useful in that regard.

"How likely is it that people in the federal government either assisted in the 9/11 attacks or took no action to stop the attacks because they wanted the United States to go to war in the Middle East?" the poll asked.

A full 22.6% of Democrats said it was "very likely." Another 28.2% called it "somewhat likely."

That is: More than half of Democrats, according to a neutral survey, said they believed Bush was complicit in the 9/11 terror attacks.

Edited by Magox

Not for nothin' but he said 1/3 of Republicans believe he was born here.

Still not 70%, but 2/3 is closer to 70% than is 1/3.

I think what it boils down to, as it usually does: people believe what they want to believe. They embrace preposterous ideas like (Obama's birth or 9/11 conspiracy) which support their worldview and shun factual arguments which fly in the face of their worldview. It's human nature, plain and simple. We're all guilty of it at occasionally, some more than others.

Not for nothin' but he said 1/3 of Republicans believe he was born here.

Still not 70%, but 2/3 is closer to 70% than is 1/3.

I think what it boils down to, as it usually does: people believe what they want to believe. They embrace preposterous ideas like (Obama's birth or 9/11 conspiracy) which support their worldview and shun factual arguments which fly in the face of their worldview. It's human nature, plain and simple. We're all guilty of it at occasionally, some more than others.

Magox isn't bright enough to realize 67 is a pretty close approximation of 70. He prefers to shout that he's right before engaging his brain.

Magox isn't bright enough to realize 67 is a pretty close approximation of 70. He prefers to shout that he's right before engaging his brain.

But 67% isn't 2/3, either.

In both cases, it's called "rounding up".

I'm feeling generous today so let's round up and give "Peace" his IQ of 100.

Despite what you may have heard, all men may not actually be created equal, so you shouldn't feel intimidated. :rolleyes:

What's missing from the talking points here is the "I don't know/don't give a crap" contingent, which is probably around 25%-30%, which brings the number who question the legitimacy of birth at around 30%. But hey, they're just numbers.

Imagine that, the National White People's Party doesn't think the dark skinned president is a legitimate citizen??

Given the resources and sensitivity/importance, documents like birth certificates can potentially be fabricated. So you'll get the skeptics.

But while Obama may not have been born here, but since his mother was a US citizen and lived in the country most of her life, he was born a US citizen wherever he was born. Why this isn't mentioned more is puzzling.

Given the resources and sensitivity/importance, documents like birth certificates can potentially be fabricated. So you'll get the skeptics.

But while Obama may not have been born here, but since his mother was a US citizen and lived in the country most of her life, he was born a US citizen wherever he was born. Why this isn't mentioned more is puzzling.

It's not mentioned because the Constitution says you have to be naturally born in the US, ie, you must pop out of your mom's womb in the USA. (I think there is a military base exception or something like that but I could be wrong.)