Buddy Nix: Perfect time for Bills to draft a quarterback

Scrappy

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Perfect time to draft a QB" can also mean we can snag one at #34 and let him sit for a season or 2 since we have Fitz. He means "perfect" because there appears to be a number of quality prospects, and a QB wouldn't need to start right away.

"Perfect time to draft a QB" can also mean we can snag one at #34 and let him sit for a season or 2 since we have Fitz. He means "perfect" because there appears to be a number of quality prospects, and a QB wouldn't need to start right away.

agreed, that's what i'm thinkin...

uhhh...the best time to pick a quarterback with the third overall pick is..

When you have the worst defense in the league

When you can't stop the run to get your offense on the field.

When your offensive line can't protect the quarterback

When your running game is less than adequate

When you already have a quarterback who is performing pretty well in spite of the shortcomings listed above.

Yup...go ahead thinking like that Buddy. :wallbash:

uhhh...the best time to pick a quarterback with the third overall pick is..

When you have the worst defense in the league

Using 1 of our 9 draft picks to get a potential franchise QB doesn't mean you can't address the defense. I'm not sure why people think that drafting a defensive player at 3rd overall automatically means that player will succeed and make our defensive tremendously better.

When you can't stop the run to get your offense on the field.

Again, you can still address stopping the run after the 1st round. 3-4 DEs don't need to be taken in the 1st round to do their job. A big part of our inability to stop the run was because of our linebacking corps. This draft is very deep with lineman where you can get excellent value in the later rounds. Unfortunately this isn't a great draft for linebackers. Basically, the point is that we can address our run defense in rounds 2-5 with some pretty good players to choose from.

When your offensive line can't protect the quarterback

There isn't an offensive lineman good enough to go 3rd overall. Bell was inconsistent last year but I'm hoping with an off season of strength and conditioning that he'll be better next season (even though I think we still need a franchise LT). Our right side of the line was terrible. Hopefully Urbik can solidify the RG spot and we finally find a good RT. Again, none of these positions would/should be addressed at #3 because there's no elite lineman really.

When your running game is less than adequate

Our offensive line can't run block. That'll tend to hurt the running game. Ironically, our offensive line was better at pass blocking than run blocking.

When you already have a quarterback who is performing pretty well in spite of the shortcomings listed above.

Fitz's 13 games last season should not have convinced anybody that we don't need to address the QB position. He's not a franchise QB and was relatively average to below average in half of the games he played in, if not more.

Yup...go ahead thinking like that Buddy. :wallbash:

It's actually sound logical thinking by our GM. You draft a potential franchise QB who you don't have to throw out on the field right away. The player we draft can learn behind Fitz and Chan for a year while our offensive line hopefully gets better, our running game gets better, and our WRs get better. I don't see what the problem is. By the time this QB is ready to take over, Nix will have already had the 2012 draft to address any further needs that needed to be addressed. This is a multi year rebuild and waiting until Fitz is a free agent and all you have is Levi Brown before you draft a franchise QB so you can throw him out to the wolves day 1 isn't exactly a recipe for success.

I believe Cam is a lock to go #1. Which is perfect because I desperately did not want us to draft him.

At this point in Charlotte it would be a HUGE surprise if Newton does not go #1 Overall...I'd say if you polled 10 people in this City 9 would say they fully expect Newton to be the Pick... B-)

Can anybody say "SMOKE SCREEN"? Only believe 10% of anything you read or hear 3 weeks before draft time. Seriously. Which 10% to believe is up to you, but it's all posturing and smoke right now.

Buddy absolutely does not want anyone to know exactly what the war room is thinking - showing your hand before the betting can begin is bad.

Can anybody say "SMOKE SCREEN"? Only believe 10% of anything you read or hear 3 weeks before draft time. Seriously. Which 10% to believe is up to you, but it's all posturing and smoke right now.

Buddy absolutely does not want anyone to know exactly what the war room is thinking - showing your hand before the betting can begin is bad.

If last years Draft was any indication then I would have to disagree...The Bills made zero effort to hide their love for Spiller, even though half the world thought there was no way they would go that way because it was not a need...If Buddy was so coy he could have completely blindsided the NFL with the Spiller Pick. And as it turned out no one was really surprised by the time they took him...I just don't see Buddy or Chan being the type that wants to play these "smokescreen" Games...When they say they like a Kid you can bet your bottom dollar they mean it...They are not going to volunteer much info, but if you ask them they shoot as straight as they can without giving up exactly what they are going to do... B-)

Cam has won just about everything he could, I wouldn't discount his ability to fail in the NFL.

Winning all that crp doesnt mean anything. Who cares about JUCO and who cares what he accomplished in college. Some of the best QBs in NFL history never did anything in college and some of the WORST QBs in NFL history had stellar college careers. So stop bringing up his college accomplishments. :wallbash:

But, the context of the discussion was 1st round, franchise QB selections, so this thought would be a non sequitor. Is that a little green man over there?

When Nix said he wanted a scatback in last year's draft, that was clearly a smokescreen too. :rolleyes:

GO GIT GABBERT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! B-)

When Nix said he wanted a scatback in last year's draft, that was clearly a smokescreen too. :rolleyes:

GO GIT GABBERT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! B-)

Just like in seasons gone by, what you think they are going to do and what they actually are 2 polar opposites. Don't be suprised by another WTF moment at the #3 spot. I love the way we are not using the free agent market at all...even before the lockout. :thumbdown:

Did anyone watch that conference yesterday? I did, and I got the distinct impression that we will not be drafting a QB with our first pick. I know there are a few soundbites about QBs, but keep in mind they were being asked questions about QBs. Truth? Smokescreen? Truthscreen? 8 more days?

Just like in seasons gone by, what you think they are going to do and what they actually are 2 polar opposites. Don't be suprised by another WTF moment at the #3 spot. I love the way we are not using the free agent market at all...even before the lockout. :thumbdown:

When was the last time the Packers and Steelers made a big free agent signing? I like that we're not super aggressive in the FA market. Our problem is that we're inept at drafting players on draft day. Great teams build through the draft and find ways to KEEP their players. We don't draft well and don't keep our players. Complete opposite of what good teams should do.