Buddy Nix: Perfect time for Bills to draft a quarterback

Scrappy

uhhh...the best time to pick a quarterback with the third overall pick is..

When you have the worst defense in the league

When you can't stop the run to get your offense on the field.

When your offensive line can't protect the quarterback

When your running game is less than adequate

When you already have a quarterback who is performing pretty well in spite of the shortcomings listed above.

Yup...go ahead thinking like that Buddy. :wallbash:

+1

Also, the Bills have a real shot at Andrew Luck, next year. If Cam Newton goes to Carolina, Gabbert to Arizona, and Tebow already in Denver we only have to compete with the Bengals for the first overall pick next year. That's only 1 team out of this draft's top 5. I'd say we have an excellent chance at a true franchise QB. We need come Luck in Buffalo!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

+1

Also, the Bills have a real shot at Andrew Luck, next year. If Cam Newton goes to Carolina, Gabbert to Arizona, and Tebow already in Denver we only have to compete with the Bengals for the first overall pick next year. That's only 1 team out of this draft's top 5. I'd say we have an excellent chance at a true franchise QB. We need come Luck in Buffalo!

So what you're saying is you hope to be the worst team in the NFL next year? I'm sorry but I'd rather not be that bad again. And Luck may be amazing in a few years but I honestly think that Gabbert can succeed under the leadership of Gailey and Fitzpatrick. If fitzy can throw for 3000 yards in this offense imagine what Gabbert can do. But I dont want to hear about luck until January 2nd 2012 when the season is over.

uhhh...the best time to pick a quarterback with the third overall pick is..

When you have the worst defense in the league

When you can't stop the run to get your offense on the field.

When your offensive line can't protect the quarterback

When your running game is less than adequate

When you already have a quarterback who is performing pretty well in spite of the shortcomings listed above.

Yup...go ahead thinking like that Buddy. :wallbash:

THe flip side is the offense was terrible. 38% converting on 3rd downs. THe offense was on the field, just as much as the Colts or Pats offense. They ran 2 plays less per game than the super bowl champs. The offense avg 5.1 yards per play. Pathetic.

The D was on the field a lot bc they sucked, but also the offense couldnt stay on the field.

This is why there is discussion of taking a QB.

So what you're saying is you hope to be the worst team in the NFL next year? I'm sorry but I'd rather not be that bad again. And Luck may be amazing in a few years but I honestly think that Gabbert can succeed under the leadership of Gailey and Fitzpatrick. If fitzy can throw for 3000 yards in this offense imagine what Gabbert can do. But I dont want to hear about luck until January 2nd 2012 when the season is over.

I never said I was hoping for that. I'm hoping for a Super Bowl victory, but let's be real, here, the Bills are no where near being a contending team, yet.

Here's how I'd re-write the opening quote in this thread:

"Bills General Manager Buddy Nix is talking like a man who wants to take a quarterback with the third overall pick in the NFL draft understands that his most valuable commodity right about now is the third overall pick in the NFL draft. Buddy is wisely trying with all his might, to leverage other teams' desperation for a QB into gaining highly valuable additional picks for a Bills roster that needs to fill multiple holes."

I love the way we are not using the free agent market at all...even before the lockout. :thumbdown:

What free agent market? No CBA, no free agency.

THe flip side is the offense was terrible. 38% converting on 3rd downs. THe offense was on the field, just as much as the Colts or Pats offense. They ran 2 plays less per game than the super bowl champs. The offense avg 5.1 yards per play. Pathetic.

The D was on the field a lot bc they sucked, but also the offense couldnt stay on the field.

I think you might have posted this same information yesterday and as another poster pointed out, if you eliminate the first two games of the season which Trent Edwards started and the final game of the season which Brian Brohm started, the Bills under Fitzgerald were actually better than average on 3rd down conversions.

Also, Fitz was a very effective passer on 3rd downs:

3rd-down passer rating

117.4 - Tom Brady

113.9 - Ben Roethlisberger

106.1 - Michael Vick

101.9 - Matt Ryan

100.0 - Drew Brees

96.2 - Philip Rivers

95.0 - Aaron Rodgers

93.2 - Ryan Fitzpatrick

91.8 - Matt Cassel

90.9 - Josh Freeman

85.9 - Matt Schaub

85.0 - Joe Flacco

84.9 - Jason Campbell

81.8 - David Garrard

79.1 - Sam Bradford

76.9 - Matt Hasselbeck

76.8 - Jay Cutler

74.9 - Carson Palmer

71.7 - Peyton Manning

64.8 - Mark Sanchez

59.4 - Brett Favre

58.0 - Kyle Orton

55.8 - Donovan McNabb

55.4 - Eli Manning

This thread is like something out of FOX News, where the "reporters" take a fairly uncontroversial remark out of a much larger conversation that states the exact opposite then make that innocuous remark the entire point. Please, go and watch the entire interview with Nix and Modrak. Please. Yes, it was said that #3 was an ideal place to pick a QB. But it was clear that they weren't at all convinced that there was a QB in this draft worthy of that pick. And they made it as clear as could be that it was much more important to stop the run(Nix, I believe it was, went so far as to say that even a pass rusher was secondary to a run stuffer).

I never said I was hoping for that. I'm hoping for a Super Bowl victory, but let's be real, here, the Bills are no where near being a contending team, yet.

But by hoping for Luck you're hoping for being the number one worst team in the league. I can't imagine a season worse than the one we just had and that would be the only way to get Luck. If you want a pocket passer that will fit Buffalo I think Gabbert should be the pick.

What free agent market? No CBA, no free agency.

I think you might have posted this same information yesterday and as another poster pointed out, if you eliminate the first two games of the season which Trent Edwards started and the final game of the season which Brian Brohm started, the Bills under Fitzgerald were actually better than average on 3rd down conversions.

Also, Fitz was a very effective passer on 3rd downs:

3rd-down passer rating

117.4 - Tom Brady

113.9 - Ben Roethlisberger

106.1 - Michael Vick

101.9 - Matt Ryan

100.0 - Drew Brees

96.2 - Philip Rivers

95.0 - Aaron Rodgers

93.2 - Ryan Fitzpatrick

91.8 - Matt Cassel

90.9 - Josh Freeman

85.9 - Matt Schaub

85.0 - Joe Flacco

84.9 - Jason Campbell

81.8 - David Garrard

79.1 - Sam Bradford

76.9 - Matt Hasselbeck

76.8 - Jay Cutler

74.9 - Carson Palmer

71.7 - Peyton Manning

64.8 - Mark Sanchez

59.4 - Brett Favre

58.0 - Kyle Orton

55.8 - Donovan McNabb

55.4 - Eli Manning

That stat is almost meaningless because I believe it does not take proficiency into account. A QB can have 3rd and 20 every time and complete 2 yard passes every time and have a great passer rating. Does the team absolutely no good however.

Here is another stat, overall QB rating. Fitz ranks 22 there with a 81.8.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/passing/sort/quarterbackRating/year/2010/seasontype/2

But by hoping for Luck you're hoping for being the number one worst team in the league. I can't imagine a season worse than the one we just had and that would be the only way to get Luck. If you want a pocket passer that will fit Buffalo I think Gabbert should be the pick.

Gabbert is a smart guy, no doubt about that, but his stats in college are concerning, to me. Why hasn't he produced more?

That stat is almost meaningless because I believe it does not take proficiency into account. A QB can have 3rd and 20 every time and complete 2 yard passes every time and have a great passer rating. Does the team absolutely no good however.

Here is another stat, overall QB rating. Fitz ranks 22 there with a 81.8.

http://espn.go.com/n...10/seasontype/2

Except I was responding to the allegation that the Bills were not a good third down team. In that context, 3rd down passer rating is more relevant than overall passer rating.

Or to argue from your perspective, if 3rd down passer rating is irrelevant, then overall passer rating is less relevant.

Gabbert is a smart guy, no doubt about that, but his stats in college are concerning, to me. Why hasn't he produced more?

Based on what Modrak hinted yesterday and what Mike Mayock has come right out and said Gabbert did not have a ton of help last Season...Mayock basically said his O-Line was brutal... B-)

am i the only one who worries that fitz turns back to the 09 fitz?

No...You are definitely not the only one...

Though I do think the fact that Gailey is the HC will help him from reverting too far... B-)

Except I was responding to the allegation that the Bills were not a good third down team. In that context, 3rd down passer rating is more relevant than overall passer rating.

Or to argue from your perspective, if 3rd down passer rating is irrelevant, then overall passer rating is less relevant.

As the other guy said, passer rating on third down is not the same as conversion rate, which means moving the chains.

Again, the Bills still had the ball enough, at least compared to the best offenses. They simply cant score enough when they do meaning the weak defense gets exposed even more.

This thread is like something out of FOX News, where the "reporters" take a fairly uncontroversial remark out of a much larger conversation that states the exact opposite then make that innocuous remark the entire point. Please, go and watch the entire interview with Nix and Modrak. Please. Yes, it was said that #3 was an ideal place to pick a QB. But it was clear that they weren't at all convinced that there was a QB in this draft worthy of that pick. And they made it as clear as could be that it was much more important to stop the run(Nix, I believe it was, went so far as to say that even a pass rusher was secondary to a run stuffer).

+1

How many of us actually watched the conference? After watching it, you would come away thinking that the Bills will not draft a quarterback. Like I said earlier, we can debate over whether this is: truth, smokescreen, or the strategic truthscreen.

Whoever qb's this year has a poor offensive line and a less than adequate run game. George Allen used to say that "the future is now". The best way to turn the team around is to turn it around in the present by making the team better and better each year. In an era of free agency and limited shelf life for players you don't draft three years into the future. We have nine or ten excellent defensive linemen, our area of biggestneed right now and we should grab the best of them. We will be getting one of the best offensive tackles in the second round, might get lucky with an OLB in round three, and another defensive lineman or even offensive lineman or very good tight end in round four.

I gaurantee you that we will have a better team going into next season with that draft I just described than a quarterback pick is going to get us.

Fitz's offense was not terrible. It was middling in spite of no real tight end, a poor offensive line and less than stellar running. Is Fitz the guy for the long haul? I don't know, but he will do while we get a passable defense and good solid offensive line.

Whoever qb's this year has a poor offensive line and a less than adequate run game. George Allen used to say that "the future is now". The best way to turn the team around is to turn it around in the present by making the team better and better each year. In an era of free agency and limited shelf life for players you don't draft three years into the future. We have nine or ten excellent defensive linemen, our area of biggestneed right now and we should grab the best of them. We will be getting one of the best offensive tackles in the second round, might get lucky with an OLB in round three, and another defensive lineman or even offensive lineman or very good tight end in round four.

I gaurantee you that we will have a better team going into next season with that draft I just described than a quarterback pick is going to get us.

Fitz's offense was not terrible. It was middling in spite of no real tight end, a poor offensive line and less than stellar running. Is Fitz the guy for the long haul? I don't know, but he will do while we get a passable defense and good solid offensive line.

Fitz was middling at best, he threw a lot of TD's and INTs. otherwise his numbers were pretty poor.

You dont draft for need. The best franchises arent built that way, not how Bill Polian built the Bills of the 90's or the Colts. Google it he's on record of how he drafts. Bellidick is as well.

The best player may fit the Bills' needs bc there are so many holes.

btw Fitz is only a band aid, his contract is up this year.

Fitz was middling at best, he threw a lot of TD's and INTs. otherwise his numbers were pretty poor.

You dont draft for need. The best franchises arent built that way, not how Bill Polian built the Bills of the 90's or the Colts. Google it he's on record of how he drafts. Bellidick is as well.

The best player may fit the Bills' needs bc there are so many holes.

btw Fitz is only a band aid, his contract is up this year.

From wikipedia:

Polian's skill as a GM was apparent as he "traded down" from the #3 slot in the first round to the #8 slot (linebacker Shane Conlan) while also acquiring the #36 slot, which he then traded to Tampa to select cornerback Nate Odomes. On October 31, 1987, Polian orchestrated one of the biggest trades in Bills history by acquiring linebacker Cornelius Bennett. In 1988, without the luxury of a first round pick, Polian drafted running back Thurman Thomas in the second round. Polian had expertly put the pieces together that would make the Bills a "championship caliber team," appearing in an NFL record four straight Super Bowls. Because of his accomplishments, Polian won the NFL Executive of the Year Award twice in 1988 and in 1991.

Hmmm..traded down to get a linebacker and a defensive back out of a first round pick. Sounds like a way to get a winner. Now if we would only do that and get an defensive lineman and perhaps an outside linebacker.

Missouri isn't exactly an Alabama, Florida, or USC. They don't get 1A recruiting classes. Consider the talent around Gabbert before examining his stats. The first round isn't littered with Missouri players.