Official 2011 NBA Playoffs thread

ieatcrayonz

Once my team is out of the race, hate is my greatest motivation for rooting, in pretty much any situation...in other words, it is almost never a situation where I always liked the team I am rooting for, but that I hate the team they are playing against. :P

I got back from my meeting in Switzerland just in time to see the finish. Any chance you think the NBA might be scripted?

P.S. Congrats to the Heat on their 2012 championship. The only thing that can stop them is a strike.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Michelle Beadle is already tweeting crap at him.

I actually wish I wasn't on twitter at the time. In the same minute I realized that the Heat were going to lose, I saw Clarence Clemons trending and knew it couldn't be good.......He's had a stroke and it sounds very serious.

I didn't even get a minute of unrestrained joy! (I am about as big of a Bruce and ESB fan as you'll ever find).

No ****. It doesn't even make sense.

Wow, sorry to hear that...

Wow, sorry to hear that...

It really sucks. He had a lot of mobility problems on the last tour, but had some hip replacement or something and was doing a lot better and ready to tour again. He did a few songs on Gaga's album and played with on American Idol.

Ironically, all these stories merge that we are talking about here. I did a google news search and there were hundreds of stories on this, but there was one from earlier in the week, where Clarence was going to play the national anthem at Game 2 of this series. It says he is a mainstay at Heat games. He didn't play because he hurt his hand.

But, look at what it says about Heat fans, even the celebrity kind:

Clemons watched much of the game seated with former Heat stars Tim Hardaway and Alonzo Mourning.

The only other intrigue on the celebrity beat was whether Sean "Diddy" Combs might arrive, perhaps making up for another lackluster showing by South Florida's boldfaced names.

Celebrity turntablist DJ Irie, who was hosting a major after-party at the W South Beach, was at a loss to explain the lack of interest.

"It is strange," Irie said while scanning the crowd while the Heat and Mavs did their pregame shooting. "But after (the Heat) won the first game, it'll be better tonight."

But Irie thought Diddy might show. He didn't. Ditto iconic Heat fan Jimmy Buffett.

Read more: http://www.bellinghamherald.com/2011/06/03/2043004/clarence-clemons-cant-play-so.html#ixzz1P8xJUfsY

Wow - that's a new one. It added that link to "read more" even though it wasn't part of what I copy and pasted.

In February 2009 I disclosed that the Lakers would beat either the Magic or Hawks in 5 in 2009; and also noted that they would beat the Celtics in 7 in 2010 and that LeBron James team would win in 2012. Congrats to the Lakers and Heat on their pre-ordained victories.

2011 is tricky as I have mentioned. It will be managed by Stern to be certain, but just how is another matter. I have stated that it will be a "feel good" story. This can be pretty open ended as is not as specific as my previous/future declarations. I would like to be as specific as I can so here are the teams that I think are candidates. Remember, it is not about basketball but about what makes the best story.

Strong candidates in no particular order. I have bolded the strongest:

New York Knicks - Listed in this category just because they are the only real good story line from the East

[b]OK City[/b] - Small market, budding stars, young team makes a run all the way and cements the new market

Dallas - Cuban's recent statements and stint on Stern influenced ABC makes me think something is in the works

Denver - Crazy I know but the George Karl story and lack of Melo would be heartwarming

Lakers - Phil Jackson's last year? Barf. Still a good story line but does not open things up for an unusual team.

Moderate candidates:

Chicago - Tie in to Jordan years? I'm not sure I see the story line but the east is short on them and Chicago coming back would be interesting. Maybe Stern is cuddling up to Obama.

Portland - Tie in to Bill Walton?

Almost no chance but not zero:

New Orleans - If the Saints hadn't already won the Super Bowl Stern might do this.

Indiana- Just wishful thinking on my part really but an 8 seed would make a story.

No chance at all:

San Antonio, Memphis, Orlando, Atlanta, Boston, Miami, Philly. Sorry Buftex; it just isn't there.

That's my summary. If I had to pick one team it would be difficult but I think I would lean Dallas only slightly. My gut tells me the Lakers because of Jackson, but a miss could be used to sell story lines down the road and the Lakers are hardly an unusual team. The circumstance is unusual though and it could be set up as a passing of the torch from the Lakers to Miami next year. OK City is another real possibility. Those three to me make the most sense.

Feel free to use this thread for discussion, not just predictions. Have fun following the "competition".

Updated

If I had to point to one moment when I decided to put Dallas on top, it would be when Mark Cuban was announced as a guest on ABC's show called Shark Tank. It pointed out that he was moving in the right direction for Stern and probably traded a little behavior for a trophy. I always like Cuban and am happy for him.

I also find it interesting that the Heat are being set up as big time bad guys going into next year. Stern has really taken a page from the wrestling stuff. Walking down a hall, camera's rolling and mocking the opposition? Really?

Then today the quote from Lebron that the haters have to go back to their miserable lives and he is still rich or whatever. Really?

All the people that were rooting on me to fail, at the end of the day they have to wake up tomorrow and have the same life that they had before they woke up today. They have the same personal problems they had today. I'm going to continue to live the way I want to live and continue to do the things that I want to do with me and my family and be happy with that. So they can get a few days or a few months or whatever the case may be on being happy about not only myself, but the Miami Heat not accomplishing their goal. But they got to get back to the real world at some point."

Reminds me of this.

They have a big marketing department and should be more original.

Anyway, I am thinking the Jimmer thing may be a good theory. He helps them win, they don't like the attention he gets and strife ensues. Just a theory, there are a lot of ways it could go.

Dallas Mavericks/

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

bump

Edited by ieatcrayonz

Updated

If I had to point to one moment when I decided to put Dallas on top, it would be when Mark Cuban was announced as a guest on ABC's show called Shark Tank. It pointed out that he was moving in the right direction for Stern and probably traded a little behavior for a trophy. I always like Cuban and am happy for him.

I also find it interesting that the Heat are being set up as big time bad guys going into next year. Stern has really taken a page from the wrestling stuff. Walking down a hall, camera's rolling and mocking the opposition? Really?

Then today the quote from Lebron that the haters have to go back to their miserable lives and he is still rich or whatever. Really?

Reminds me of this.

They have a big marketing department and should be more original.

Anyway, I am thinking the Jimmer thing may be a good theory. He helps them win, they don't like the attention he gets and strife ensues. Just a theory, there are a lot of ways it could go.

bump

Good call Crayonz...

Updated

Let us know if I can ever hope for a Magic win. I'm patient, so no hurry. But sooner or later a story of line of that cursed team (I'm fully expecting Howard to bolt) has to come around, no?

Edited by Faustus

Congrats to the Mavs! I don't really have anything against LeBron personally, but all the hype they themselves created over the course of the season caused me to really want to see them crash and burn. As for last night's game, I honestly think Jason Terry should have won the MVP for the series. When Dirk was going through a cold stretch, Terry kept that team scoring and he was CLUTCH time and time again. On the other hand, how did that Marion guy ever make the team? I've seen him miss like four layups in the last few games and make some totally boneheaded turnovers....oh well, they won in spite of him. I"m really glad for J.Kidd, Dirk, J.Terry and the boys...I loved the comments of the coach after the game. He's like, "we're an old school team...we can't jump, and we're not fast, but we trusted the pass and each other". That's a great quote...I want to see them make another run next year. In fact, I'd love to see a finals between them and the Celtics :thumbsup:...and then after that, it should be just about time for my Sixers to make another run at the title :devil:

LeChoke will never be anything more than scottie pippen. D-Wade is the real man in Miami.

The next MJ? :lol: :lol: :lol: Jordan's dingleberries are more clutch than LeChoke.

Edited by Ramius

Congrats to the Mavs! I don't really have anything against LeBron personally, but all the hype they themselves created over the course of the season caused me to really want to see them crash and burn. As for last night's game, I honestly think Jason Terry should have won the MVP for the series. When Dirk was going through a cold stretch, Terry kept that team scoring and he was CLUTCH time and time again. On the other hand, how did that Marion guy ever make the team? I've seen him miss like four layups in the last few games and make some totally boneheaded turnovers....oh well, they won in spite of him. I"m really glad for J.Kidd, Dirk, J.Terry and the boys...I loved the comments of the coach after the game. He's like, "we're an old school team...we can't jump, and we're not fast, but we trusted the pass and each other". That's a great quote...I want to see them make another run next year. In fact, I'd love to see a finals between them and the Celtics :thumbsup:...and then after that, it should be just about time for my Sixers to make another run at the title :devil:

Thanks for the congrats!!

Congrats to the Mavs and in particular to Derik N.....who is a class act player and has been very good for a very long time....

Did anyone catch in the trophy presentation the commentator was talking to Mark Cuban about how he has been very outspoken in the past but not so much this you and Cuban VERY quickly change the subject to someone else?

LOL

Congrats to the Mavs and in particular to Derik N.....who is a class act player and has been very good for a very long time....

Did anyone catch in the trophy presentation the commentator was talking to Mark Cuban about how he has been very outspoken in the past but not so much this you and Cuban VERY quickly change the subject to someone else?

LOL

A favor..it is Dirk N.

In case this didn't get posted and anybody needed even more reason to hate Lebron:

“All the people that were rooting on me to fail, at the end of the day, they have to wake up tomorrow and have the same life that they had before they woke up today. They have the same personal problems they had today. I’m going to continue to live the way I want to live and continue to do the things that I want to do with me and my family and be happy with that. They can get a few days or a few months or whatever the case may be on being happy about not only myself, but the Miami Heat not accomplishing their goal. But they have to get back to the real world at some point.”