Official 2011 NBA Playoffs thread

ieatcrayonz

In February 2009 I disclosed that the Lakers would beat either the Magic or Hawks in 5 in 2009; and also noted that they would beat the Celtics in 7 in 2010 and that LeBron James team would win in 2012. Congrats to the Lakers and Heat on their pre-ordained victories.

2011 is tricky as I have mentioned. It will be managed by Stern to be certain, but just how is another matter. I have stated that it will be a "feel good" story. This can be pretty open ended as is not as specific as my previous/future declarations. I would like to be as specific as I can so here are the teams that I think are candidates. Remember, it is not about basketball but about what makes the best story.

Strong candidates in no particular order. I have bolded the strongest:

New York Knicks - Listed in this category just because they are the only real good story line from the East

OK City - Small market, budding stars, young team makes a run all the way and cements the new market

Dallas - Cuban's recent statements and stint on Stern influenced ABC makes me think something is in the works

Denver - Crazy I know but the George Karl story and lack of Melo would be heartwarming

Lakers - Phil Jackson's last year? Barf. Still a good story line but does not open things up for an unusual team.

Moderate candidates:

Chicago - Tie in to Jordan years? I'm not sure I see the story line but the east is short on them and Chicago coming back would be interesting. Maybe Stern is cuddling up to Obama.

Portland - Tie in to Bill Walton?

Almost no chance but not zero:

New Orleans - If the Saints hadn't already won the Super Bowl Stern might do this.

Indiana- Just wishful thinking on my part really but an 8 seed would make a story.

No chance at all:

San Antonio, Memphis, Orlando, Atlanta, Boston, Miami, Philly. Sorry Buftex; it just isn't there.

That's my summary. If I had to pick one team it would be difficult but I think I would lean Dallas only slightly. My gut tells me the Lakers because of Jackson, but a miss could be used to sell story lines down the road and the Lakers are hardly an unusual team. The circumstance is unusual though and it could be set up as a passing of the torch from the Lakers to Miami next year. OK City is another real possibility. Those three to me make the most sense.

Feel free to use this thread for discussion, not just predictions. Have fun following the "competition".

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What!!!! Miami has no chance? Insanity. I'm saying it right now, Miami for the win. At this point here's the way I see it shaking out:

IN THE EAST

Round 1

Chicago beats down Indiana easily from now on (Indana is not going to recover from that meltdown)

Orlando recovers and squeaks by Atlanta

Boston manages to get by New York but it takes a lot out of them...too much actually

Miami, despite the close game, rolls Philly

Round 2

Chicago beats Orlando in what will be a close and fantastic series.

Miami shuts everyone up about the regular season and beats Boston surprisingly handily...the mojo official appears and now everyone talks about them

Round 3

Miami D's up Rose and sends the Bulls packing...so sorry Chitown maybe next year? (eh...probably not)

IN THE WEST

Round 1

San Antonio will recover and beat Memphis, gotta assume that

Oklahoma easily dispatches with Denver

Dallas beats Portland

New Orleans beast the Los Angles and that whole thing falls about out there for LA (ya heard)

Round 2

Oklahoma beats San Antonio

Dallas beats New Orleans

Round 3

Oklahoma beats Dallas

NBA Championship

Miami Heat win it all and send home a hungry young Oklahoma team that looks to take the West for years to come

Can't wait to see how wrong I was! lol

Edited by dayman

While you may have read it apparently you didn't understand it.

Miami is under the "no chance at all" category. I understood just right. I don't give a **** about next years playoffs. I'm not talking about that.

Edited by dayman

While you may have read it apparently you didn't understand it.

Don't worry there were people doubting these foregone conclusions as far back as 2009. I remember people saying no one on the Celtics would get a fake injury impacting the 09-10 playoff run. :oops:

Anyway, I'm sure there will be doubters even if I reveal the script the next 20 years in a row.

Edited by ieatcrayonz

Why is thread so inactive? No Buftex even.

Oh, I have seen it...and I have been watching the playoffs as much as I can...the Sabres are garnering a bit of my attention too...Celtics and Sabres are on at the same time, tonight and Sunday...Sabres are my priority...have to watch the C's on tape delay.

That said, if your theory holds true, it looks the only team from the East that can make it to the finals is the Knicks of Bulls? Sorry, Knicks fans, I don't see that happening this year...even if they knock of the Celtics (very small chance: Celtics are deeper, more experienced, not as injured), you really think the Knicks could believably beat the Heat in a 7 game series? How would Stern sell that? Would Miami have to have a major injury? Knicks are still at least one guy away from being to pull that off...if it does happen, I will give you all the credit you want!

So, if you buy what I am saying about the Knicks, it would have to be Chicago in the East...if this whole thing is scripted, as you suggest, it would be a new turn...Chicago, while improved the last 2 or 3 years, hasn't won a big playoff series yet...in the NBA, teams to tend to have to take a step forward every year...

I think we are going to see a Lakers/Heat final.

Oh, I have seen it...and I have been watching the playoffs as much as I can...the Sabres are garnering a bit of my attention too...Celtics and Sabres are on at the same time, tonight and Sunday...Sabres are my priority...have to watch the C's on tape delay.

That said, if your theory holds true, it looks the only team from the East that can make it to the finals is the Knicks of Bulls? Sorry, Knicks fans, I don't see that happening this year...even if they knock of the Celtics (very small chance: Celtics are deeper, more experienced, not as injured), you really think the Knicks could believably beat the Heat in a 7 game series? How would Stern sell that? Would Miami have to have a major injury? Knicks are still at least one guy away from being to pull that off...if it does happen, I will give you all the credit you want!

So, if you buy what I am saying about the Knicks, it would have to be Chicago in the East...if this whole thing is scripted, as you suggest, it would be a new turn...Chicago, while improved the last 2 or 3 years, hasn't won a big playoff series yet...in the NBA, teams to tend to have to take a step forward every year...

I think we are going to see a Lakers/Heat final.

I originally said it would be an unusual team and/or a cinderella/heartwarming story. On paper I would never like the Knicks but they are a potential good story line. The same to an extent with the Bulls. Truth is, I don't think the winner is from the East as I noted. If the Knicks beat the Heat if would be a good guy, bad guy story line. I don't think it will happen.

Strong candidates in no particular order. I have bolded the strongest:

New York Knicks - Listed in this category just because they are the only real good story line from the East

OK City - Small market, budding stars, young team makes a run all the way and cements the new market

Dallas - Cuban's recent statements and stint on Stern influenced ABC makes me think something is in the works

Denver - Crazy I know but the George Karl story and lack of Melo would be heartwarming

Lakers - Phil Jackson's last year? Barf. Still a good story line but does not open things up for an unusual team.

Moderate candidates:

Chicago - Tie in to Jordan years? I'm not sure I see the story line but the east is short on them and Chicago coming back would be interesting. Maybe Stern is cuddling up to Obama.

Portland - Tie in to Bill Walton?

Almost no chance but not zero:

New Orleans - If the Saints hadn't already won the Super Bowl Stern might do this.

Indiana- Just wishful thinking on my part really but an 8 seed would make a story.

No chance at all:

San Antonio, Memphis, Orlando, Atlanta, Boston, Miami, Philly. Sorry Buftex; it just isn't there.

Updated with strike through to reflect round 1 results.....will update Mem/SA when done. All three top choices remain.

Edited by ieatcrayonz

Updated with strike through to reflect round 1 results.....will update Mem/SA when done. All three top choices remain.

So, if your conspiracy theory holds true, Chicago will face either LA, Dallas or OKC in the finals? Or, are you just saying that LA, Dallas or OKC will win it all...the loser in the finals has not been scripted yet?

So, if your conspiracy theory holds true, Chicago will face either LA, Dallas or OKC in the finals? Or, are you just saying that LA, Dallas or OKC will win it all...the loser in the finals has not been scripted yet?

I have consistently said that this is the year that an "unusual" team will win and/or a team with a heartwarming/compelling story would win. That does not mean Chicago is the only candidate to be the Eastern finalist, just that they are the only Eastern team that could win in the Finals if they make it. If another Eastern team has been selected to lose in the Finals it could possibly be Miami to set up the story for next year, but I'm not sure Stern will go that route.

As you well know, my "conspiracy theory" has held true since February 2009 when I gave the Finals winners for 09, 10, 11 and 12. At some point even you have to realize that my "theory" is much like the "theory" of gravity.

I had three top candidates based on the criteria I spelled out in 2009. All three are past round 1 alive. Would a serious basketball handicapper have had Dallas as one of his top three teams with a chance at winning it all? Watch and learn as one of those three or Chicago will win it. Chicago's best chance is a Jordan or Obama tie in with both seeming less plausible than the Jackson retirement/young superstars in new market/Cuban finally gets his ring scenarios. At least to me it does.