some interesting commments in PFW audibles

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He is up to 250 according to his twitter account...for what it's worth. Fact is the guy is a footballer with a great work ethic and leadership skills based on the numerous articles out there. If Dareus is not there at 3 then Miller should be the pick. Please, Please don't take Cam Newton!!!!!!!! Cam Newton = Vince Young, and he is essentially a one year wonder. The success stats for one year wonders are not good throughout the league let alone our own little experiment with Maybin.

I have serious concerns about Miller's size. That's fair, right?

If the Bills do take Miller then I'll be happy in knowing we got a very highly rated, thoroughly vetted player in a position of need. Ok?

At least we'll know right away if he's the real deal or not. I like that factor a lot! He's a senior, he's already being treated like a veteran.

There shouldn't be any excuses made for Miller in his first year. If Patrick Willis can do it right away, so to can Miller.

Yes, it's fair that you have concerns about his weight. As comparing Willis and Miller, like I've been told, "they play different positions, you can't compare them".

Thanks for not asking us if the pats or steelers would take Miller over Quinn again. No one knows, yet you guaranteed they would they would take Quinn. It's posts like that, that get a rise out of me. Thanks for taking a more logical approach.

Matthews plays at 6-3, 255lbs. The concern is that Miller, like Matthews, will have to gain weight to get to a typical playing weight for an NFL OLB. He weighed in at the senior bowl in the low 230's. However I think it is more the exception than the rule that players play at the same weight that they did in college.

Matthews weighed 240# at the 2009 Combine, compared to Miller who was 246#, and Miller blew away Matthews stats both in individual drills AND college production (Miller has over 7 times as many sacks as Matthews did). They're both the same height, and Matthews was able to get to 255#. Miller is already at 250#.

What does it all mean? Hard to know until Miller plays in the NFL.

Lots of really interesting stuff here, about prospects that we care about.

Take Von Miller for one:

ALL the scouts are saying he's going to be special. I really don't get the Von Miller hate around here...

And on Cam Newton:

One of the many reasons I prefer Blaine Gabbert.

On the Von Miller front....this happens because fans have a certain guy they like....and so you have to look for reasons to demean another to prop your guy up.

Von Miller is at 250 pounds without really even trying.....is considered "special" by far too many draft pundits for it not to probably be true and except for being 265 pounds and stopping running attacks by himself fits every other check box you could think of for a dominant football player.

And WE will have the opportunity to get him.

Yes, it's fair that you have concerns about his weight. As comparing Willis and Miller, like I've been told, "they play different positions, you can't compare them".

Thanks for not asking us if the pats or steelers would take Miller over Quinn again. No one knows, yet you guaranteed they would they would take Quinn. It's posts like that, that get a rise out of me. Thanks for taking a more logical approach.

I second that 1billsfan......a much more sensible approach this time around.

And yes....I get the uneasy about his weight.....because Maybin is still giving us all nightmares

On the Von Miller front....this happens because fans have a certain guy they like....and so you have to look for reasons to demean another to prop your guy up.

Von Miller is at 250 pounds without really even trying.....is considered "special" by far too many draft pundits for it not to probably be true and except for being 265 pounds and stopping running attacks by himself fits every other check box you could think of for a dominant football player.

And WE will have the opportunity to get him.

"and we MAY have the opportunity to draft him" is more like it. I wouldn't be surprised if he was taken by the Broncos, or dare I say it, the panthers.

After all the talk thats been going on recently, it sounds like Miller would be a great pick at #3 (if he is there)

I still think a true franchise QB is one of the bigger needs as Fitzpatrick is good for now, but they need a true franchise type guy. Teams that are consistently good have franchise guys. Although with Fitz playing the way he has, it should allow them to take a guy and let him sit and learn instead of rushing him into the starting job immediatly. For some reason I have a feeling that Kaepernick (sp?) might be the guy later (2nd or 3rd) if he lasts.

In order to draft a "true franchise quarterback" there has to be one to draft. This draft, despite what people would want you think, is severely lacking in that department. Gabbert and Newton are not "Sure Thing Franchise Quarterbacks" like Ryan, Bradford, Stafford and Peyton. They just aren't. They are very good, so is Fitz. So is Matt Cassell. They aren't superstars, they aren't worth the #3 overall selection. This draft just doesn't have a can't miss QB at the top 10. Some team will take one or both of those guys, I just hope its not us because it will set this franchise back another 10 years.

"The following quotes are from NFL scouts, coaches and front-office personnel, speaking on the condition of anonymity."

Or in other words, don't believe anything you read in this article.

Seriously, what would be the purpose of team reps talking up and throwing praise on players that they love and hope to draft? I will believe nothing said from team reps, especially anonymous ones.

This ^. Anything published is misinformation, or spoken by folks just dying to get fired. Why would teams pay scouting departments dearly, only to give away the info for free? They are trying to game other teams into making choices that result in the outcomes favorable to them.

I've only been saying this for months now.

For similar reasons, I always thought Aaron Schobel was overrated. He'd have 2 or 3 games of multiple sacks but then only a couple more over the remaining games. Too many times he was handled by just the OT across from him.

For those jumping on the "He's not too small" bandwagon I challenge you to look at ANY highlight video of Von Miller and tell me he's not a small LB. Here's one to get you started. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoQII6vrPHE

If you can watch this video and tell me that's still the player you want the Bills to draft then I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

For those jumping on the "He's not too small" bandwagon I challenge you to look at ANY highlight video of Von Miller and tell me he's not a small LB. Here's one to get you started. youtube.com/watch?v=qoQII6vrPHE

If you can watch this video and tell me that's still the player you want the Bills to draft then I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Oh wow!!! After watching that one video, i have come to my senses!! What was I thinking. How did I not get that after the first 5 times I watched the same video! Thanks FONG!! Say NO to Von Miller. You shouldve posted that photo of miller standing next to Vincent Jackson to even further prove your point.

Oh wow!!! After watching that one video, i have come to my senses!! What was I thinking. How did I not get that after the first 5 times I watched the same video! Thanks FONG!! Say NO to Von Miller. You shouldve posted that photo of miller standing next to Vincent Jackson to even further prove your point.

Just a preview of what lies in store for Miller in the NFL. If he gets on a team with a solid defensive line he has a chance to be a great LB. On the Bills he's Aaron Maybin 2.0.

For similar reasons, I always thought Aaron Schobel was overrated. He'd have 2 or 3 games of multiple sacks but then only a couple more over the remaining games. Too many times he was handled by just the OT across from him.

And yet…I think it's pretty clear that the Bills missed Schobel last year.

Lots of really interesting stuff here, about prospects that we care about.

Take Von Miller for one:

ALL the scouts are saying he's going to be special. I really don't get the Von Miller hate around here...

And on Cam Newton:

One of the many reasons I prefer Blaine Gabbert.

I am not a von miller fan yet but i can be persuaded. I just think we need beef upfront. Von will not do much with our current Dline. Kyle Williams makes plays but he does not tie up two O linemen on running plays. Troupe and Carrington are big question marks and I do not expect either to make big progressions next year. Miller will have a linemen on him on every running play and we do not have linemen that demand double teams on pass plays so the offense will be able to pick up Miller. If you can guarantee that we get Taylor, Paea, Wilkerson , or Liuget in round 2 then I am okay with Miller in rd 1. If we go Miller then a QB in rd 2 I will puke.

Edited by jumbalaya

Have you guys seens Von's Measureables from his Combine Workout compared to Clay Matthew's?

Miller's Pre-draft measureables

Ht Wt Arm length Hand size 40-yd dash 10-yd split 20-yd split 20-ss 3-cone Vert Broad BP Wonderlic

6 ft 3 in 246 lb 33½ in 9¼ in 4.53 s 1.57 s 2.57 s 4.06 s 6.7 s 37 in 10 ft 6 in 21 rep N/A

All values from NFL Combine

Matthew'sre-draft measureables

Ht Wt 40-yd dash 10-yd split 20-yd split 20-ss 3-cone Vert Broad BP Wonderlic

6 ft 3⅛ in 240 lb 4.62 s 1.58 s 2.68 s 4.18 s 6.90 s 35½ in 10 ft 1 in 23 rep 26

All values from NFL Combine except 40-yard dash (and splits) from USC Pro Day

So, Miller is Bigger, Faster, and more explosive. You could argue that Matthews was stronger based on BP, but its minimal. A 5" difference in the broad jump is a big deal, and 4.5 in the 40 vs. 4.6... You be the judge, but I think Matthews has been ok. Why wouldn't Miller?

Am I reading this correctly? Miller had a 4.06 short shuttle time? That is staggeringly good.