some interesting commments in PFW audibles

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• "Go back and look at (North Carolina DE) Robert Quinn's 11 sacks two years ago — eight of them came in three games, and he had one each against The Citadel and Georgia Southern (plus one vs. Boston College). There are a lot of production scouts in this league — you have to look beyond the production. I get that. But someone has to sell me hard on that kid. He's going to go a lot higher than the third-round grade I gave him, but we'll see what he does in three years."

I've only been saying this for months now.

Lots of really interesting stuff here, about prospects that we care about.

Take Von Miller for one:

"I like everything about (Texas A&M OLB) Von Miller. The only thing that worries me a little bit is his size. He's got everything else you could want. His pro day was sickening. I'm telling you — I've never seen anyone work out like that. I don't care if you run a 4-3 (defense) or a 3-4 — the guy is a football player. He'll fit in any defense. You find a place for guys like that. He's got some special traits. He's going to be a great one."

ALL the scouts are saying he's going to be special. I really don't get the Von Miller hate around here...

And on Cam Newton:

"If you polled the entire league, I would guess the opinions are split on (Auburn QB) Cam Newton. Anyone that really knows the kid and did their homework will have him down on their board. We had him at the very top of our board before the Combine. He's got talent — you have to give it to him. But I wouldn't think about him until the end of the first (round), and even there, I'm not sure I'd want him. Now it's a little different when you're in the hunt for a quarterback. We got a good one. ... I just think you're asking for too much trouble with a guy like him. It's just like Vince Young — all the warning signs were there. The lower (Newton) goes, the better his chances will be."

One of the many reasons I prefer Blaine Gabbert.

Thanks for the link. No matter how much I am trying to let some of the guys around here convince me otherwise I can't help but be satisfied if Miller is the pick.

Edited by Erik

ALL the scouts are saying he's going to be special. I really don't get the Von Miller hate around here...

I've seen the same YouTube highlights that everyone else has, and it certainly worries me. But outside of fans (more than just on this site), I haven't heard one bad thing about him. Everyone loves him. Hard to ignore that.

I've seen the same YouTube highlights that everyone else has, and it certainly worries me. But outside of fans (more than just on this site), I haven't heard one bad thing about him. Everyone loves him. Hard to ignore that.

No, it's not. Watch me, HE'S TOO SMALL AND HAS CHARACTER FLAWS! DON'T DRAFT VON MILLER OR VAN HELSING!

"(Georgia OLB) Justin Houston is very talented, but he could be the next Vernon Gholston. It's scary, but he shuts it down way too much. He's one of the draft's great magicians. He can disappear with the best of them.

Love that term: "Draft magician"

"The following quotes are from NFL scouts, coaches and front-office personnel, speaking on the condition of anonymity."

Or in other words, don't believe anything you read in this article.

Seriously, what would be the purpose of team reps talking up and throwing praise on players that they love and hope to draft? I will believe nothing said from team reps, especially anonymous ones.

Edited by 1billsfan

He's a life long Cowboys fan.... That is a pretty big character flaw with me! :-)

While I think he's an exceptional talent, I would much rather have a significant improvement in the run defense (esp. up the gut) and Von just isn't going to help with that as much as a DL would. Personally I would love to have Von Miller's name called, but would be THRILLED if we call Dareus!

"The following quotes are from NFL scouts, coaches and front-office personnel, speaking on the condition of anonymity."

Or in other words, don't believe anything you read in this article.

Seriously, what would be the purpose of team reps talking up and throwing praise on players that they love and hope to draft? I will believe nothing said from team reps, especially anonymous ones.

Yeah, we should listen to you. We should ask the pats and steelers who they would pick. Oh and we should watch the YouTube clip of Von miller vs Nebraska. Why would anything else matter.

I guess you haven't thrown that glass of cold water on your face yet. Same old same old. No one in the NFL likes Von Miller. He's obviously to small.

Have you guys seens Von's Measureables from his Combine Workout compared to Clay Matthew's?

Miller's Pre-draft measureables

Ht Wt Arm length Hand size 40-yd dash 10-yd split 20-yd split 20-ss 3-cone Vert Broad BP Wonderlic

6 ft 3 in 246 lb 33½ in 9¼ in 4.53 s 1.57 s 2.57 s 4.06 s 6.7 s 37 in 10 ft 6 in 21 rep N/A

All values from NFL Combine

Matthew'sre-draft measureables

Ht Wt 40-yd dash 10-yd split 20-yd split 20-ss 3-cone Vert Broad BP Wonderlic

6 ft 3⅛ in 240 lb 4.62 s 1.58 s 2.68 s 4.18 s 6.90 s 35½ in 10 ft 1 in 23 rep 26

All values from NFL Combine except 40-yard dash (and splits) from USC Pro Day

So, Miller is Bigger, Faster, and more explosive. You could argue that Matthews was stronger based on BP, but its minimal. A 5" difference in the broad jump is a big deal, and 4.5 in the 40 vs. 4.6... You be the judge, but I think Matthews has been ok. Why wouldn't Miller?

Yeah, we should listen to you. We should ask the pats and steelers who they would pick. Oh and we should watch the YouTube clip of Von miller vs Nebraska. Why would anything else matter.

I guess you haven't thrown that glass of cold water on your face yet. Same old same old. No one in the NFL likes Von Miller. He's obviously to small.

I have serious concerns about Miller's size. That's fair, right?

If the Bills do take Miller then I'll be happy in knowing we got a very highly rated, thoroughly vetted player in a position of need. Ok?

At least we'll know right away if he's the real deal or not. I like that factor a lot! He's a senior, he's already being treated like a veteran.

There shouldn't be any excuses made for Miller in his first year. If Patrick Willis can do it right away, so to can Miller.

1Billsfan: What are your concerns about his size? He is the same height as Matthews and weighs more...

Matthews plays at 6-3, 255lbs. The concern is that Miller, like Matthews, will have to gain weight to get to a typical playing weight for an NFL OLB. He weighed in at the senior bowl in the low 230's. However I think it is more the exception than the rule that players play at the same weight that they did in college.

I am one of those people who was (past tense) not a Von Miller fan. My thinking on that has changed the more research I do on him. He has been called the cleanest person in the draft by multiple sources. He was very productive football player. A poster earlier mentioned character concerns with this player. I have heard of none. Sure he stood with the NFL players with there anti-trust suit. This does not make him a militant or bad guy.

My top 3 wish list in this draft are as follows in order of preference

1 Cam Newton

2 Von Miller

3 Patrick Peterson

1Billsfan: What are your concerns about his size? He is the same height as Matthews and weighs more...

Check out this page in the Von Miller thread and DrDank's stats. Von Miller is smaller than most good OLBs and that is after he added weight

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/128886-von-miller-discussion/page__st__500__p__2130335#entry2130335

Edited by Fan in Chicago

Matthews plays at 6-3, 255lbs. The concern is that Miller, like Matthews, will have to gain weight to get to a typical playing weight for an NFL OLB. He weighed in at the senior bowl in the low 230's. However I think it is more the exception than the rule that players play at the same weight that they did in college.

Von Miller weighed in at the Senior Bowl at 237. He put on an additional 9 pounds before the combine.