buffal bills on espn are about to be on

mjohns85

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Im sorry, but Maybin was never good. He didnt start in college. He may have had a few sacks by going unabated to the QB, but he was beat like a rag doll on the other 65 snaps a game.

It has nothing to do with effort. He was just never any good. Its just more proof the McShay and the Bills dont have the slightest clue.

I've always felt it would be a decent idea to give Maybin a shot @ another position. The kid has talent, he's got decent size, great speed.....id give the kid a shot at being a tightend. He has the body of a TE....see if the kid can catch a football. He's proven he can't play on defense, so what the Bills have invested in him, I think it would be wise to try him elsewhere. You just never know!

you see it in baseball all the time, players playing one position then to add more life on their career play another spot....granted football is a different beast.....all I'm saying is, the kid has some type of talent @ football...throw an 80's number jersey on him....see what happens. Can't be any worse then he is now!

I wish the kid luck!

I actually do have hope for maybin. As stated he would be entering this draft if he had stayed in school. Has he done anything to this point in his career? No. However being 22 I'm not ready to give up on him yet. The positives are 2 years of nfl coaching and weight training as well as a supposed excellent work ethic. So hope.. Yes. Suprised if he doesn't materialize? No.

I've always felt it would be a decent idea to give Maybin a shot @ another position. The kid has talent, he's got decent size, great speed.....id give the kid a shot at being a tightend. He has the body of a TE....see if the kid can catch a football. He's proven he can't play on defense, so what the Bills have invested in him, I think it would be wise to try him elsewhere. You just never know!

you see it in baseball all the time, players playing one position then to add more life on their career play another spot....granted football is a different beast.....all I'm saying is, the kid has some type of talent @ football...throw an 80's number jersey on him....see what happens. Can't be any worse then he is now!

I wish the kid luck!

Tight ends need to be able to block. Maybin could not block a beer vendor

Does anyone have any hope that Maybin can actually be a good football player for us?

If he was drafted that early and hasn't made an impact within the first year and a half, or 2 years, he's not gonna show anything now. Good pass rushers should show something early. There isn't a big learning curve on pass rushers. Either you do it, or you just don't. I would've been happy with 3 or 4 sacks in his rookie year.

Maybin brings something to mind. If the "new" CBA does not address the Rookie Salary, which currently goes between 20-50 mil for the first few top picks - do we really want to spend that money on anything but a franchise potential QB? We need D badly, very badly. But that's a ton of cash for a D-lineman now days, expecially one that hasn't taken a snap in the NFL.

Maybin hit the lottery due to a few good plays and a whole lotta talk from the experts that our Draft Gurus bought hook line and sinker.

I did not see the interview, but I have thought for a few months that Maybin would look damn good as a TE for us. I don't know his ability to catch, but if the guy can run a route and block (he sure knows how to block a guy in the NFL, seeing as thats all that happens to him, he could be a player for us). I think there is a lot of athleticism in that body of his, and he just needs to find a way to use it. He is an NFL caliber athlete, I just think he is in the wrong position. Aaron Maybin, TE, Buffalo Bills... Think about it...

A month or so ago in an interview Gailey was pretty emphatic that Maybin was a hard worker. So, I think we have to take him on his word (coupled with Stevie's defense of Maybin) that this is true. In a way, I find that even more alarming than McShay's refuted suggestion about Maybin's work ethic.

That is, if the problem did center around a laziness issue, then at least that would be something that Maybin himself could correct with added maturity and motivation. However, if he really is doing the best he can, that means he either doesn't "get it" -- or he physically cannot do the job.

If it is the latter, then the blame rests 100% on the scouts/front office folks who made the decision to draft him 11th overall back in 2009. If it is the former, then there could be a number of factors at play:

-- Is he just not coachable (code word for "stupid")?

-- Is he a poor fit for the defensive schemes?

-- Is it an experience issue -- given his lack of playing of meaningful playing time in college?

-- Has he been hindered by the rookie hold-out, coupled with the change in schemes in his second year?

Probably a combination of all of the above. I wonder if Maybin may become something of a pet project for Wanny? Remember last year, Gailey commented that Maybin was unlikley to see much individual coaching once training camp was over. Also, I suspect that we will know more about what the coaches REALLY think of him based on what choices are made in the draft. If they do (as appears to be the growing consensus) select Miller at #3, given their apparent faith in Merriman and the glimpses that Moats showed last year, I would have to believe that the writing is on the wall that the odds of Maybin making it onto the final roster are slim.

Edited by 2003Contenders

I did not see the interview, but I have thought for a few months that Maybin would look damn good as a TE for us. I don't know his ability to catch, but if the guy can run a route and block (he sure knows how to block a guy in the NFL, seeing as thats all that happens to him, he could be a player for us). I think there is a lot of athleticism in that body of his, and he just needs to find a way to use it. He is an NFL caliber athlete, I just think he is in the wrong position. Aaron Maybin, TE, Buffalo Bills... Think about it...

This post, better than most, speaks to the utter desperation amongst some Bills Fans...When I read stuff like this it just makes me sad... ;)

I hear you KoK, but I don't think its a desperation move or feeling from me. I am simply looking at an athlete that we have on this team, which Maybin certainly is, and trying to find where he could best help the team. That is not desperation, its creativity. We have a guy under contract. His contract, Im pretty certain, does not state which position he must play. George Wilson was a guy we had on Offense, that has turned into a nice defender and ST for us. Its not impossible. TE is a position where we need some better athletes. I am sure Stupar is a great guy. He doesn't sniff Maybin's god-given athleticism. If Maybin can catch, and is willing to change position, I think TE would suit him very well. Why waste all that money because he can't play DE. We're paying him, we might as well use him.

Edited by Champjb10

I hear you KoK, but I don't think its a desperation move or feeling from me. I am simply looking at an athlete that we have on this team, which Maybin certainly is, and trying to find where he could best help the team. That is not desperation, its creativity. We have a guy under contract. His contract, Im pretty certain, does not state which position he must play. George Wilson was a guy we had on Offense, that has turned into a nice defender and ST for us. Its not impossible. TE is a position where we need some better athletes. I am sure Stupar is a great guy. He doesn't sniff Maybin's god-given athleticism. If Maybin can catch, and is willing to change position, I think TE would suit him very well. Why waste all that money because he can't play DE. We're paying him, we might as well use him.

Or they could stop paying him and draft a real TE.

But hey, if he can block and catch he's a TE, right? Can he kick?

+1 Why not? It's worth a shot if it looks like nothing is ever going to happen on the other side of the ball.

Probably a combination of all of the above.

Gailey's recent comments were interesting. He said stuff like "We told him what he has to do to get there." "He's working at it." This can be interpreted in many ways but I'm wondering if it's his weight & strength. Also, a major criticism has been that he had only one move. Once it was seen on film, he had nothing else.

Maybin has been written off by almost all Bills fans. Whatever he turns into is a bonus for the Bills. I hope he can at least become a somewhat productive NFL player. Not hoping for him to be a 10 sack a year guy of anything like that but if he could be a decent rotational/situational pass rusher getting like 4-5 sacks a year in a supporting role.

Still I am not holding my breath on Aaron Maybin becoming anything for the Bills.

So you believe in Maybin's ability to make the transition to TE, you just aren't sure whether he can catch, run routes, or block?