Kiper Mock v4.0

Comparing him to maybin is ridiculous, because they are very very different. Sure, they are both small guys that had great speed. But they are very different football players. Maybin was a one year wonder that hardly played any football. Miller has played all 4 years, and wasn't just a one year wonder.

Bulking up might make him a bit of a reach, but it is small potatoes compared to all the other top players with issues. Bowers knee injury? Now there is a Gamble. Quinn not even playing last year? Man, now there is a red flag. Fairly not having good work ethic? Sounds like a mike williams situation. Almost all the top players have an issue. Who woulda thunk there wouldn't be all perfect players? well, there is a perfect player if you want to draft patrick peterson, but let's not open THAT can of worms now. Sure, dareus would be a pretty swell choice, and I prefer him to miller, but will he even be there when we pick? I doubt it, even with the 3rd overall choice.

In the end, if the only thing wrong with the kid is that he has to "bulk up" and improve against the run, then there really isn't that much risk in him compared to the others. Maybin was a huge risk/project being a one year wonder who hardly played football. This guy is different. Not saying he is a future superstar, but he looks like he would be a worth using a top 5 pick on him. And really, it is not hard for him to get to a clay mathews size.

If you want a player with nothing wrong, take peterson...... but see how much that helps this team.

What's wrong with Cam Jordan?

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Comparing him to maybin is ridiculous, because they are very very different. Sure, they are both small guys that had great speed. But they are very different football players. Maybin was a one year wonder that hardly played any football. Miller has played all 4 years, and wasn't just a one year wonder.

Bulking up might make him a bit of a reach, but it is small potatoes compared to all the other top players with issues. Bowers knee injury? Now there is a Gamble. Quinn not even playing last year? Man, now there is a red flag. Fairly not having good work ethic? Sounds like a mike williams situation. Almost all the top players have an issue. Who woulda thunk there wouldn't be all perfect players? well, there is a perfect player if you want to draft patrick peterson, but let's not open THAT can of worms now. Sure, dareus would be a pretty swell choice, and I prefer him to miller, but will he even be there when we pick? I doubt it, even with the 3rd overall choice.

In the end, if the only thing wrong with the kid is that he has to "bulk up" and improve against the run, then there really isn't that much risk in him compared to the others. Maybin was a huge risk/project being a one year wonder who hardly played football. This guy is different. Not saying he is a future superstar, but he looks like he would be a worth using a top 5 pick on him. And really, it is not hard for him to get to a clay mathews size.

If you want a player with nothing wrong, take peterson...... but see how much that helps this team.

I have to disagree with you about the highlighted part. He is so quick he makes players run where they don't want to which is right into the teeth of the D. Our outside LB's last year were to slow and they RB's just ran around them with one juke move. If you watch Miller against the Big 12 (which is no push over conference) the last two season he dominated both rushing and passing. No he didn't make all the tackles last year but to be a good run defender do you have to make all the tackles, I don't think so as long as you dont get beat and can contain the RB so you team mates can make plays that is all i want. I think he does that and doing so makes players around him better. I mean the A&M Defense is full of no names and I bet nobody else from that Defense gets drafted, that just says alot about Miller IMO.

I'll be curious to hear your reaction if, you know, Miller turns out to be good.

It's impossible. 1billsfan already told us he's gonna suck.

Size Nazis, you mean people that realize appropriate size of NFL players? You can't just play anyone at any position because "they're a football player."

An outside LB has to go against LTs regularly. Which because I'm size Nazi, I know, are bigger stronger and faster than interior offensive lineman. Meaning, generally that OLB have to be bigger, faster, and stronger.

But we can pretend size doesn't matter in your utopian gold star for everyone "you can do IT!" because you heart football-ville.

I did. What I worry is the Bills take him at #3 overall then spend two years trying to fit a square peg into a round hole at OLB. Doesn't help the team and holds the defense back.

I actually doubt that OBD is going to make this pick, its such a clearly bad pick with so much risk and so little upside over what you can get later in the draft any professional worth their salt wouldn't make that pick. There is a reason actually NFL teams don't take LBs that high. And the last two AJ Hawk and Aaron Curry didn't exactly live up to their draft position.

By size nazis I mean, people that think a 246 lb OLB can't succeed in the NFL because hes too small. James Harrison weighs 242 btw. And he's nowhere near as fast or explosive as miller. Is there a chance he doesn't succeed? Sure, but the same can be said for anyone we draft. He just so happens to play a position that we desperately need, so it makes sense to take a chance IMO.

Edited by NewEra

What's wrong with Cam Jordan?

http://www.draftcountdown.com/ScoutingReports/DE/Cameron-Jordan.php

Weaknesses:

• Is not overly fast or explosive and lacks a burst

• Is not necessarily a dangerous threat off the edge

• Will struggle in space and doesn't look comfortable

• Will play out of control and lose contain at times

• Ran into some trouble off the field at one point

• Might be a bit of a positional / schematic 'tweener

I think he's a stud and will be a very good player. I'd love to try and trade down and pick up another pick or two and grab him due to the fact that many of the teams that draft after us may be looking to add different positons. I still think that we're gonna draft whoevers left between newton and gabbert.

I think with all the invites the Front Office is trying to find a reason not to pick Miller, and can't. I like this Miller in the first but I also think if Phil Taylor is there in the second we take him over Wilson. We only need to add one LB in my maybe two in the draft, don't forget we have Merriman and Batten coming back from injury; also Moats and I think we should resign Poz. I would just like to see us get Taylor, I think a good rotation for NT Troupe and Taylor, you can also put Williams in there but I think with his motor he would be just as good if not better at DE.

+1 Phil Taylor

I actually doubt that OBD is going to make this pick, its such a clearly bad pick with so much risk and so little upside over what you can get later in the draft any professional worth their salt wouldn't make that pick.

This made me chuckle.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft2011/insider/news/story?page=KiperMockDraft4.0

Kiper has us picking Von Miller @ #3 and Illinois ILB Martez Wilson @ #34

Not a bad haul if you ask me....addresses two immediate needs.

I'd like to get a DT in one of the 1st two rounds personally.

What say you?

Gabbert, Reed

<In the voice of Jeff Foxworthy>

When a wide receiver looks like he could kick your OLB's ass...you may need a bigger OLB…

http://long-island.newsday.com/topics/Texas

Yes, let's draft a flea-sized malcontent who's more focused on player issues than becoming the Bills first defensive superstar since Bruce Smith. Maybe it's just me, but I like the fact that Robert Quinn isn't in playing dress up in Minnesota on April 6th. FYI, Miller was directly behind the press podium during the interviews. Sorry, I want a football player, not Norma Rae.

Von Miller will be a major bust. His little body "speed" OLB game doesn't translate to the NFL and he over pursues on running plays.

I've literally been laughing at the Kiper "expert" types this draft season. I think they're all on some seriously heavy dope.

No, you're waaaay off man. The guy will come in and be a major factor. He will be an immediate starter and will never get off the field, barring injury... This guy can play NFL Football and has the potential to be Rookie of the year.

<In the voice of Jeff Foxworthy>

When a wide receiver looks like he could kick your OLB's ass...you may need a bigger OLB…

http://long-island.newsday.com/topics/Texas

Yes, let's draft a flea-sized malcontent who's more focused on player issues than becoming the Bills first defensive superstar since Bruce Smith. Maybe it's just me, but I like the fact that Robert Quinn isn't in playing dress up in Minnesota on April 6th. FYI, Miller was directly behind the press podium during the interviews. Sorry, I want a football player, not Norma Rae.

I just see a guy who knows how to dress and has a good tailor and one who buys a suit off the rack...

Also, VJax was suspended for juicing last year. Amazing what those things will do.

But then again, you want the guy who hasn't played in a year AND you want to change his position.

Edited by stony

Here is a little exerpt I found:

Standing up on nearly every snap, Miller had 17 1/2 tackles for loss, 10 1/2 sacks and three forced fumbles in 2010 while playing through an early-season ankle injury. His true explosion was on display in a junior season in which he racked up a nation-high 17 sacks to go with four forced fumbles and 21 1/2 tackles for loss

People (not you) are belittling Von Miller because of drop off in production from Jr. year to Sr. year. a. He had an injury and b. His junior year stats are so ridiculous it was actually hard to repeat them....SEVENTEEN SACKS and TWENTY ONE tackles for loss. This is a kid that lives in a offenses backfield......

We draft big uglies in Troup and Carrington last year......Von Miller could be scary good. I would also like the guy that talked aobut Maybin's body composition (I remember reading this) to see if he could give thoughts on Von as to whether he could add weight and sustain it. I could be proven right or wrong on that area it just seems to me that Von's physic could allow him to carry more weight and keep it on.

Oh and....

Lawrence Timmons | #94 | LB

Pittsburgh Steelers | Official Team Site

Height: 6-1 Weight: 234 Age: 24

Born: 5/14/1986 Florence , SC

That is incorrect. Von Miller was a DE for his first 3 seasons, including his most impressive Junior year. He has his had on the ground 95% of the time.

Texas A&M switched to a 3-4 his Senior year where he played Joker and had his hand on the ground or speed rush from the Edge more than 50% of the time.

If drafted #3 he would be drafted to play that Joker role in the NFL, some may say a Mini-Joker.

Edited by Why So Serious?

Just because they're the same body size coming out of college doesn't mean that they play the same way. I see Miller over pursuing plays and getting pushed around way too often to suggest that he's the next Clay Matthews.

And by this comment you mean its not ok to compare him to similar sized good players (Matthews), but it is ok to compare similar sized bad players (maybin).

Actually, Quinn has more in common with Maybin than Miller. Both were one year wonders who racked up huge numbers against inferior competition, and did little against the top teams in their conferences. But Quinn is going to be good simply because he's bigger?

I just see a guy who knows how to dress and has a good tailor and one who buys a suit off the rack...

Also, VJax was suspended for juicing last year. Amazing what those things will do.

But then again, you want the guy who hasn't played in a year AND you want to change his position.

I don't man, That picture looks like he can't keep the extra 8-10 pounds he put on for the combine on.

Not that I work at Carnival, but the guy with the glasses looks under 240 to me.

I don't man, That picture looks like he can't keep the extra 8-10 pounds he put on for the combine on.

Not that I work at Carnival, but the guy with the glasses looks under 240 to me.

No, I agree. He looks a bit small there, I was just being a smart ass about their suits. Von Miller has a good tailor. VJax isn't your normal WR though. That's like putting nearly every LB in this years draft next to Cam and saying the same thing.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft2011/insider/news/story?page=KiperMockDraft4.0

What say you?

He got one of the picks right ;) LOL. *See Below*

By size nazis I mean, people that think a 246 lb OLB can't succeed in the NFL because hes too small. James Harrison weighs 242 btw. And he's nowhere near as fast or explosive as miller. Is there a chance he doesn't succeed? Sure, but the same can be said for anyone we draft. He just so happens to play a position that we desperately need, so it makes sense to take a chance IMO.

Im not saying he CANT succeed in the NFL, I just think he WONT succeed at that size.

You reference James Harrison. Are you familiar with Harrison's entire 9 year career, or only the last 3 seasons?

Due to his size, Harrison went undrafted. He was picked up by the Steelers, and sat on their practice squad for TWO YEARS, being released three times before being signed by Baltimore who also cut him. He then played in NFL Europe.

He finally came back to the Steelers in 2004, struggled to get on the field, spent a couple more years developing and FINALLY had a good season in 2007. FIVE YEARS AFTER being drafted.

But since he is small, you use that as proof we SHOULD draft Miller at #3 OVERALL?!?!?!??

:wallbash:

For the millionth time. The exception is not the rule. Doesn't mean Miller can't be successful. It just means there is more risk drafting a smaller guy. By the way your example Harrison is 6'0" and thick. Miller is 6'3" and wiry. Harrison has also suffered from what most smaller guys suffer from in that they get injured because they are small.

It is admirable that these guys give it their all and can over come their lack of size. The "little engine that could" , "rudy, rudy, rudy", david can slay goliath guys need to give it a rest. Next you will be telling me we should give a long hard look at every 5'10" QB prospect because Doug Flutie did it. It's become a joke.

Just like in football if a woman ever tells you "size doesn't matter"...she is lying.

Im not saying he CANT succeed in the NFL, I just think he WONT succeed at that size.

You reference James Harrison. Are you familiar with Harrison's entire 9 year career, or only the last 3 seasons?

Due to his size, Harrison went undrafted. He was picked up by the Steelers, and sat on their practice squad for TWO YEARS, being released three times before being signed by Baltimore who also cut him. He then played in NFL Europe.

He finally came back to the Steelers in 2004, struggled to get on the field, spent a couple more years developing and FINALLY had a good season in 2007. FIVE YEARS AFTER being drafted.

But since he is small, you use that as proof we SHOULD draft Miller at #3 OVERALL?!?!?!??

:wallbash:

GET EM DANK!!!

What say you?

I agree with both of your points, particularly if Dareus is gone.