which smart phone do you prefer?

Pete

20 members have voted

1. 1. which smart phone do you prefer?

• Iphone 4
    • Thunderbolt
    • wait for the Bionic

It also seems to be the most popular, especially with kids which suits our business model (yes, we have an app).

Actually, it's currently in 3rd place behind Android and Symbian...

http://www.neowin.ne...-iphone-by-2015

love how people say the Xoom is better.... yeah, have fun with your 20 apps. Apple simply does it better. It's not being a fanboy to praise what is great.

You obviously have never used the Xoom or you would know that the "20 apps" comment is completely and utterly false. I already have 21 apps installed, and have only had it for a couple of days. Now granted the Xoom is a tablet, not a phone -- but stop buying into the Apple-biased blogs that keep spewing the "20 apps" comments because it's just not true.

Other things to like about the Xoom over the iPad (and I assume other Android phones vs the iPhone) - Flash support. SD card slot for extra storage. Non-proprietary HDMI connector. USB connection to PC to drag/drop files/music/videos. Ability to load programs that Apple doesn't take their 30% cut from (ie: cheaper apps from Amazon's Android App store).

The iPhone's fine, but it's funny when the fanboys realize that it isn't the #1 phone in the world - it's third. That's due to Apple wanting to control everything, so I prefer a more open system.

Most of my coworkers have iPhones because the choice was the iPhone or the Blackberry Bold. Half of them are hoping we switch to Android when we renegotiate our contract next year. (keep in mind I work in IT)

My suggestion is avoid brand new phones. Wait a few months so the bugs get worked out. I made the mistake of running out and getting a Samsung Fascinate on day one. The phone is okay but it needed several software updates to get right. Also if the sales rep tells you "...that operating system upgrade will be coming to your phone in a week or two" they are lying. Android 2.2 (Froyo) was supposed to arrive for the Fascinate since October and its still not here. Some Android phones will have 2.3 while the Fascinate still runs 2.1. If a phone doesn't have the latest operating system when you buy it, it will NEVER get it.

PTR

My suggestion is avoid brand new phones. Wait a few months so the bugs get worked out. I made the mistake of running out and getting a Samsung Fascinate on day one. The phone is okay but it needed several software updates to get right. Also if the sales rep tells you "...that operating system upgrade will be coming to your phone in a week or two" they are lying. Android 2.2 (Froyo) was supposed to arrive for the Fascinate since October and its still not here. Some Android phones will have 2.3 while the Fascinate still runs 2.1. If a phone doesn't have the latest operating system when you buy it, it will NEVER get it.

PTR

If you root you can. It really is easy to root and install. Don't have to be I.T. to do it. Like I said in my other post, next Android phone I get it will be the like the Nexus S which is pure Android. Not Sense, Moto Blur or any other skin that just seems to get in the way.

If you root you can. It really is easy to root and install. Don't have to be I.T. to do it. Like I said in my other post, next Android phone I get it will be the like the Nexus S which is pure Android. Not Sense, Moto Blur or any other skin that just seems to get in the way.

It would be nice if Verizon would allow a true Android phone to come out or at least cut down on the bloatware that you have to root to get rid of. I don't mind sense that much but motoblur is crap.

You guys are right. Having a removable battery is VERY important, especially when:

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2011/03/18/htc-thunderbolt-battery-life/

This post is awesome. You complain about people calling you a fanboy, then act exactly like a fanboy! :lol:

There are many positives to the iPhone, but you've chosen to take its weak points and portray them as a strength. Then, you proceed to make ridiculous untrue statements about the competition. If that's not fanboyism, I'm not sure what is.

Touché. :) I am what I am.

I've got an EVO good Internet tool but too big and heavy for a phone. Hate it for email. I just bought an iPad so I will return to a blackberry for phone and email.

Blackberries are probably still the best email devices out there. Beats both Android and iPhones for email. I hate it for everything else though.

My contract is up next month and I can't stand ATT and can't wait to switch back to Verizon. I played around with the Thunderbolt a little today and it doesnt seem as intuitive as the Iphone. But I keep reading rave reviews. I appreciate your thoughts, thank you

I like my crackberry, but mostly because I don't care for touch-screen phones. Downside is that the screeen is on the small side.

:) I assume this is referring to CNETs absolutely infatuation with everything Apple. I used to use CNET for all my tech reviews, but they have become so biased towards apple it's nearly unreadable.

I like engadget, Techcrunch, and Gizmodo much better.

Back in the day, Apple couldn't buy a good review there.

It used to annoy me.

Funny how things have changed.

I know how the WinTel crowd feels.

Back in the day, Apple couldn't buy a good review there.

It used to annoy me.

Funny how things have changed.

I know how the WinTel crowd feels.

Agreed. years ago, you'd have places like that review the latest software or computers... and not even a mention of an Apple product. Now... Apple seems to get tons of press and people claim bias. Funny how that works.

You guys are right. Having a removable battery is VERY important, especially when:

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2011/03/18/htc-thunderbolt-battery-life/

Touché. :) I am what I am.

sigh. Vibrant I get a full day no problem with normal use. If I don't game on it or use gps I get up to 32 hours. For example going to the horse races today. Will take the extra battery. Probably won't need it but its nice to know if I want to use my phones features heavily I don't have to worry about charging, Guys I work with use Iphones and they constantly have them charging in the office. No thanks

Edited by Dante

I love how loving the best makes you a fanboy.

Apple is the first major player (note I didn't say first company altogether) to make a full touchscreen phone for the mainstream. EVERY phone after that has been playing catch up (see: copying Apple). Apple comes out with the first mainstream tablet computer, and once again, followers trying to catch up. I love how people say the Xoom is better.... yeah, have fun with your 20 apps. Apple simply does it better. It's not being a fanboy to praise what is great.

I've posted this before but I have had well over 30 cellp hones. The iPhone is THE BEST. I've had the Droid X, The droid Incredible, the first Droid, I've had blackberrys, including the AWFUL blackberry strom (whoa, it clicks) and I actually owned the palm pre (that lasted 4 days).

The fact is it comes down to Apps. And I LOVE that apple must approve all apps. One of the biggest arguments FOR having a droid is the "open market". Exactly how many fart apps do you need? There's a reason every company you see advertising an app has it on the Apple App Store.

The fact that I have the iPhone on Verizon makes it just so much better.

But keep on hating.

I don't hate the iPhone. I probably would have one myself but I didn't want to give up the Verizon network. When my contract is up in November, I will give the iPhone and Android based phones an even look.

I looked a an Xoom but have decided to wait a few months for some more tablets to come out and hopefully bring the price down or a Xoom II to come out. It that doesn't happen, I'll compare the Xoom to the iPad 2 and probably end up with the iPad 2.

I don't buy into your obvious bias however. This apps, apps, apps nonsense is overblown. I heard this when I bought my droid but found plenty of apps for my droid. I've only paid for one of them. I've compared apps with my sister's iPhone and a co-worker and found nothing they have that I can't get on the Droid with the exception of iTunes. I am confident that now that there is a real tablet for the Android market that more apps will be built for it, just as what happened with the phones.

One real nice thing about the Android phones in you can root them and turn your phone into a WiFi hot spot for a tablet or PC. Can you do that with an iPhone?

I have only 1 fart app left. I removed the rest to make room for the Charlie Sheen apps.

I don't hate the iPhone. I probably would have one myself but I didn't want to give up the Verizon network. When my contract is up in November, I will give the iPhone and Android based phones an even look.

I looked a an Xoom but have decided to wait a few months for some more tablets to come out and hopefully bring the price down or a Xoom II to come out. It that doesn't happen, I'll compare the Xoom to the iPad 2 and probably end up with the iPad 2.

I don't buy into your obvious bias however. This apps, apps, apps nonsense is overblown. I heard this when I bought my droid but found plenty of apps for my droid. I've only paid for one of them. I've compared apps with my sister's iPhone and a co-worker and found nothing they have that I can't get on the Droid with the exception of iTunes. I am confident that now that there is a real tablet for the Android market that more apps will be built for it, just as what happened with the phones.

One real nice thing about the Android phones in you can root them and turn your phone into a WiFi hot spot for a tablet or PC. Can you do that with an iPhone?

I have only 1 fart app left. I removed the rest to make room for the Charlie Sheen apps.

Well the apps are everything b/c that's what the interface is. Apps. Iphone has the best working apps. And the Itunes store is vastly superior to the Droid alternative. I know those are fighting words, but it's true. I'm not even an Apple guy I love PCs and would never get a Mac but when it comes to MP3 players and Phones Apple is the way to go. Plus the machine just looks and feels better to me. The actual hardware is always good looking w/ Apple.

The wifi hotspot 1) drains battery and 2) requires a special additional fee to be able to do it!!! I thought that was just the absolute coolest feature I had ever seen in my life...until my friend said he got one and doesn't even have that ability b/c it would be more money each month to do it! Lame.

Anyway it's all my opinion but I think the Iphone is better. About half my friends have Iphone, half have Droid or some other smart phone. Most agree the Iphone is the best, even those w/ out it. Bottom line though, they all work great.

Well the apps are everything b/c that's what the interface is. Apps. Iphone has the best working apps.

Such as?? What am I missing on my Droid that is so great on the Iphone? Comparing apps with my sister or my co-worker hasn't convinced me I missing much of anything.

The wifi hotspot 1) drains battery and 2) requires a special additional fee to be able to do it!!! I thought that was just the absolute coolest feature I had ever seen in my life...until my friend said he got one and doesn't even have that ability b/c it would be more money each month to do it! Lame.

What additional fee in necessary if you root the phone?

Edited by Scraps

Well the apps are everything b/c that's what the interface is. Apps. Iphone has the best working apps. And the Itunes store is vastly superior to the Droid alternative. I know those are fighting words, but it's true. I'm not even an Apple guy I love PCs and would never get a Mac but when it comes to MP3 players and Phones Apple is the way to go. Plus the machine just looks and feels better to me. The actual hardware is always good looking w/ Apple.

Anyway it's all my opinion but I think the Iphone is better. About half my friends have Iphone, half have Droid or some other smart phone. Most agree the Iphone is the best, even those w/ out it. Bottom line though, they all work great.

The Android marketplace does need some more refinement, that's for sure. That said, like Scraps, I haven't seen an app on an iPhone/iPad that gave better functionality than I can get on an Android... Many of my coworkers who have iPhones wish they could get Android instead as well (that wasn't a corporate option last year, but may be one next year).

And there's one huge feature that Apple doesn't have -- WIDGETS! They're freak'n awesome. Basically they're apps that instead of displaying a single icon to launch, contain a preview of information for you. The ESPN app for android can display scores of your favorite team without having to load the app. The CNN app shows the top five articles and you scroll through them with your finger. Click it if you want to read. Bookmarks work the same way, as does the USA Today app. The earthquake monitoring app shows me the last quake in the world and what the severity was. All without having to load the app. That's a huge benefit that I haven't seen many people talk about.

The Xoom really rocks, and Amazon's Android App store gives away a free application every day which is also really nice. No competition from Apple's store - it's Apple or nobody. That's both a plus and a minus.

Such as?? What am I missing on my Droid that the Iphone is so great on the Iphone? Comparing apps with my sister or my co-worker hasn't convinced me I missing much of anything.

What additional fee in necessary if you root the phone?

Well I have to admit I have an iphone. So, it's natural I don't spend a lot of time using the droid system. Only a bit....perhaps I'm just turned off at the way I see some of my friends actually GET their apps...seems like more of a hassle looking for them. Also, I do remember when my buddy first got his 'droid there were a few apps he got that were not working well...this was a while ago but it stuck with me. It's just the same old give-take you always get w/ apple...it's locked down...their way or the highway...but their way is guaranteed to work and work well.

I do not know the specifics but that one phone that had the commercial where everyone is in the car and he makes a hotspot...my friend got that exact phone and told me there was an extra monthly fee to have the ability to create that hotspot therefore he cannot do it b/c it wasn't worth it to him. That's all I know.

The Android marketplace does need some more refinement, that's for sure. That said, like Scraps, I haven't seen an app on an iPhone/iPad that gave better functionality than I can get on an Android... Many of my coworkers who have iPhones wish they could get Android instead as well (that wasn't a corporate option last year, but may be one next year).

And there's one huge feature that Apple doesn't have -- WIDGETS! They're freak'n awesome. Basically they're apps that instead of displaying a single icon to launch, contain a preview of information for you. The ESPN app for android can display scores of your favorite team without having to load the app. The CNN app shows the top five articles and you scroll through them with your finger. Click it if you want to read. Bookmarks work the same way, as does the USA Today app. The earthquake monitoring app shows me the last quake in the world and what the severity was. All without having to load the app. That's a huge benefit that I haven't seen many people talk about.

The Xoom really rocks, and Amazon's Android App store gives away a free application every day which is also really nice. No competition from Apple's store - it's Apple or nobody. That's both a plus and a minus.

Not an app but one function that to me is clearly better is simply the touch tech. I mean, the Iphone scrolls and responds better than the android models I've used...then again that's a hardware thing and I havne't tried every phone that uses the droid system.

PLUS, one thing worth noting is the "droid" market-share is actually a grouping of many different operating systems. So often times when you compare the iphone OS to the "droid" you are actually comparing it to multiple different versions/types of systems...which is a little unfair in that all the positives of various droid OS are being imputed with against the single apple OS.

The idea that these apps have this ability to sort of "always be on" as you said sounds good but honestly the aps load so quickly it's a non-issue to have to load up the app to me. Any important things I want to know give me push notifications anyway so the things I care about most aren't hiding inside a dormant app anyway.

Most apps I have were free anyway on iphone too. I do have a few mac daddy apps that were expensive (for instance I have a $10 app! Lol...it's by far my greatest app though it's for guitar (and every other stringed instrument) it has chord charts, a tuner, metronome, scales ect...it's the exception not the rule though).

But anyway I admit no phone expert. Like most I haven't used my friends phones constantly I just messed with them a bit usually when they first get them. There's something intimate about a person's relationship w/ their phone lol...I don't just go asking for people's phone and scrolling through like crazy all the time. Most of what I know is from a few google news articles I've read and just talking to friends as opposed to using their phone myself.

Blackberries are probably still the best email devices out there. Beats both Android and iPhones for email. I hate it for everything else though.

Yep .... I opened the browser with that tiny screen and it was pitiful. I still love the efficiency of email on blackberry for my old fingers a small touchscreen just never worked. I love the combination of having an IPad to surf the web and the blackberry as my phone and email tool. iPad is pretty good for email also.

• 3 months later...

been a couple months since this topic had any activity...i am eligible for an upgrade now, or can wait til october to get the extra $30 off on an upgrade..have the droid eris & verizon...eris is a battery hog and i can't take it anymore....plus i can't use spotify because the firmware is stuck at 2.1....is the iphone the best of the bunch? now that its been out in the market against other models....what is considered the best bang for your buck...good battery life...storage for music...etc....thoughts????

been a couple months since this topic had any activity...i am eligible for an upgrade now, or can wait til october to get the extra $30 off on an upgrade..have the droid eris & verizon...eris is a battery hog and i can't take it anymore....plus i can't use spotify because the firmware is stuck at 2.1....is the iphone the best of the bunch? now that its been out in the market against other models....what is considered the best bang for your buck...good battery life...storage for music...etc....thoughts????

I just got a Droid Charge (coming from an original Droid) and I'm enjoying the hell out of it. I walked into the Verizon store convinced I was going to get a Thunderbolt and walked out with the Charge. Key factor was battery life of which the Thunderbolt has very little. The fix is a bigger battery pack but the bigger battery is GINORMOUS! Makes it look almost as big the phone Michael Douglas uses in Wall Street.

Anyway, I like my Droid Charge. Only complaint so far is that it doesn't have an LED indicator light on the front so I've got to flick the screen on to see if I've missed any calls/email/texts. This is kind of annoying, but I'm adjusting.

Disclaimer: I work for Microsoft, but not in the mobile division or on any mobile product. I own an HD7 on T-Mobile.

You really can't go wrong with most choices. First pick the form factor you want. Physical keyboard, large or small screen, battery life, etc. That itself should narrow you down to a few choices from a few manufacturers. Identify which carriers offer the phones you're interested in and VISIT STORES IN PERSON to try them out yourself. I can't emphasize that last point enough - so many people just buy on the internet and then return their phone a few weeks later because they picked one that they thought they might like. You don't have to purchase in person... but at least try the phones out and get a feel for them.

OS-wise I would go with Android or wait for the Mango release of Windows Phone 7. Google is kicking Apple's ass right now... they have an energized developer community and they have a variety of form factors to fit a lot of different needs. Where Android lags IMO is the UI. I really like the live tiles on WP7 and ease of use is where the iPhone really shines. WP7's problem is that there aren't a whole lot of apps and the OS lacks many features that iOS and Android have. However, Mango catches WP7 up in a lot of ways and while WP7 doesn't excel in many categories, I tend to think Mango will make it one of the better overall phone choices assuming people start writing apps for it.