say we select QB Blaine Gabbert with our 1st

papazoid

lets say Carolina picks Dareus, Denver picks Fairly or Peterson.

we pick Gabbert, he sits all year. we finish dead last and have 1st overall pick next year.

would you select Andrew Luck assuming he continues to be the obvious best player.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

we pick Gabbert, he sits all year. we finish dead last and have 1st overall pick next year.

would you select Andrew Luck assuming he continues to be the obvious best player.

Well first of all, and I know it's a hypothetical, but there is no way we finish dead last this season. Even last year when a third of the board was screaming we wouldn't win a game, we won 4 and easily(for lack of a better word) could have won 7 or 8. But if that scenario were ever to turn out, picking Gabbert at 3 means the top brass thinks he is a franchise qb which in turn means that they wouldn't pick another one next year.

The answer is yes, because you can trade the lesser of the 2 QBs. It worked for Jimmy Johnson when he selected Troy Aikman & Steve Walsh in the same year and decided to keep Aikman & traded Walsh to NO. The problem is if the lesser is a bust & they keep him too long, then his trade value goes way down. Now if the bust is Gabbert-they better draft Luck.

So the idea here is to spend a #3 pick this year on a QB we may never use--and then trade him next year for, what, a 3rd or 4th round pick?

How bout we don't pick a QB this year and if we have the first pick next year we take Luck.

So the idea here is to spend a #3 pick this year on a QB we may never use--and then trade him next year for, what, a 3rd or 4th round pick?

How bout we don't pick a QB this year and if we have the first pick next year we take Luck.

its a hypothetical stay with the program. THis team will never be a serious playoff team until they improve QB.

here's possible problem.....we do NOT pick a QB with our first round pick this year. between the draft and free agency we improve to 6 - 8 wins. we have no shot at Luck or any other franchise QB next year. i'm fine with Fitz for a year or two....but at some point this team needs a franchise QB.

btw- Gabbert just had a very high +40 Wonderlic.

common papa...stop the madness

its a hypothetical stay with the program. THis team will never be a serious playoff team until they improve QB.

I'm with the program of improving at QB, but the logic of taking a #3 first round pick and turning it into a future 3rd or 4th rounder escapes me--unless you think he will take over from Fitz for most or all of the season--and will lead us to the first pick in the 2012 draft.

common papa...stop the madness

i'm trying to increase page hits....lol.....seriously tho.....assume we pick a QB #1 this year. that player most likely sits all year. that hurts our chances of improving our team and record, while other teams are improving by adding a starter. we will likely be picking very high again next year and possibly #1 overall.

for me, my dream player is Andrew Luck, i really think he's going to be special. i think he could start day 1. i am also very high on Gabbert, but think he will need a year of seasoning. i am not a fan of Cam Newton. the bills are in a tough spot because they will absolutely be picking a QB this year by round 3. there is nobody backing up Fitz. they also MUST get a franchise QB this year or next. either way, the path is frought with risk, we could pass on a QB this year and get screwed next year...or grab a franchise QB this year and then have my dream player Luck, fall in our lap.

I'm with the program of improving at QB, but the logic of taking a #3 first round pick and turning it into a future 3rd or 4th rounder escapes me--unless you think he will take over from Fitz for most or all of the season--and will lead us to the first pick in the 2012 draft.

You take a QB at #3 if you think he is your guy. If by some small chance you finish last and have a shot at one of the best QB prospects in the past 15 years, you take him too.

The best franchises are built on picking the best players. You can keep Luck and trade Gabbert. It's not something you strategize to do but it would be the right move. Youre not taking him with the thoguht of turning him into a 3rd rounder---its quite possible you would get more for him btw.

QBs have higher value than any other position and the return would be worth it.

You take a QB at #3 if you think he is your guy. If by some small chance you finish last and have a shot at one of the best QB prospects in the past 15 years, you take him too.

The best franchises are built on picking the best players. You can keep Luck and trade Gabbert. It's not something you strategize to do but it would be the right move. Youre not taking him with the thoguht of turning him into a 3rd rounder---its quite possible you would get more for him btw.

QBs have higher value than any other position and the return would be worth it.

I agree that QB has the highest value, but if we pick him and we are the worst team in the league because of that choice, how does his value go up?

Not going to take him - they won't pick a guy who wasn't even the best QB in the division of his conference much less the nation. I don't think anyone will touch him until the third round. He was the fifth best QB in the big 12. That said regardless of who you draft if your in position to take Luck you take him.

Not going to take him - they won't pick a guy who wasn't even the best QB in the division of his conference much less the nation. I don't think anyone will touch him until the third round. He was the fifth best QB in the big 12. That said regardless of who you draft if your in position to take Luck you take him.

What if Luck turns into Jake Locker next year?

If the Bills have the #1 overall when Andrew Luck comes out, you take Andrew Luck, or you trade the pick for the entire draft class of a team 1-7 (and probably a few picks the next year) a la the Ricky Williams trade. There will be multiple teams lining up to make that trade.

The smarter play would be to take Luck and trade Gabbert for a 2nd.

2 No.1 picks on QBs two drafts in a row? Really? If we finish dead last we will need more help than another rookie QB.