Cameron Jordan

I have no idea what the most important stats are, but I would think the 10 and 20 yard splits, especially the 10 which measure how fast your first step or two are would be the most important for D linemen. Second I would rate ability to drive/lower back n hips strength, which I heard they don't even do at the combine anymore. (sled push, 325 lbs, how far and fast can you move it)

Players that rise or fall at the combine has always been a mystery to me unless they're injury assessments, guys without much playing time in college, or interviews for character/team player evaluations etc. After that, how can you not judge dudes by actual game film?

My prediction: Bills are taking Dareus or Fairley in what will prove to be the first draft in a decade where they actually took who we thought they were going to take in the first round.

Cameron Jordan is a sure thing at a position of need.

He will be a top 10 pick. I will bet any amount of money on that.

I keep seeing him at #17 to the Pats. That would be horrible :sick:

For a franchise that needs a sure thing why not take the sure thing. Its not a reach when you draft a sure thing.

I think come April the draft will work out.

1. Cam Newton

2. Marcell Dareus

3. Cam Jordan.

This is what a Top 5 pick looks like:

If there was ever a draft to try to trade down A LITTLE BIT...not a lot.....and try to pick up an additional high 2nd rounder this would be the draft to do it.....there are so many good defensive players in this draft it just make sense to do that......Fairley could fall to us.....Quinn......Camron?

We will be so thankful if we can pull that off when some quality defensive player falls into the high second or some guy like Carimi and then we still have a 2nd rounder to take a QB to hand the clip board to.......

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-combine/09000d5d81e8001e/Cameron-Jordan-talks-to-press

I have no idea how reliable these guys are but here it is:

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/index.php?app=forums&module=post&section=post&do=new_post&f=1

Hopefully NeverGiveUp can get us some more insight? Last report was that they were leaning toward Von Miller.

I like the idea of Jordan, and I have heard he is really good (I didn’t see any Cal games this year myself). I would not be upset with him at 3 at all.

The Link goes back to TwoBillsDrive.com

I think this is the link you meant to post:

http://www.buffalosportsdaily.com/source-bills-remain-very-high-on-cameron-jordan/

Based on Bills draft history of taking the guy, that everyone calls a "reach" I fully expect Cam Jordan to be the pick.

If it happens, I also fully expect this is to be the first time in a long time that the Bills get it right.

Cam Jordan is not going to be a sack master, but he will be a pocket collapser with a High Motor. Paired with Kyle Williams you have 2 guys like that on the D-Line that require atleast 3 Offensive lineman's attention and probably a TE to help as well.

It will allow the Moats, Poz and the LBs we draft in the 2nd and 3rd round to make plays.

Yes Marcell Dareaus, and Fairely maybe better pure talent but we're splitting hairs here in the Top10. Neither Dareaus or Fairely have it upstairs in the mental department like Cameron Jordan. Cam Jordan is entering the draft after completing is Senior year, was a team captain at Cal, and has NFl bloodlines. He is a Buddy Nix kinda guy if there ever were one in my opinion. Get to know this possible future Buffalo Bill before you push the "reach" button.

Think of this way. What are the risks associated with Bowers, Quinn, Fairely & Dareaus?

What are the risks associated with Cameron Jordan?

For a team that needs a sure thing, Cameron Jordan looks to me as the closest you can get to a sure thing, and that is never a "reach."

I put this in the other thread about Cam Jordan to help people get familiar with this guy:

Jake Locker, Barkley, Foles, and Andrew Luck all make guest appearances in this one:

Wouldn't you love hearing how "he loved hitting Brady and hearing the wind come out of his chest" after the first Bills win over the Pats in almost a decade.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-combine/09000d5d81e8001e/Cameron-Jordan-talks-to-press

He is a top 10 player no doubt. Yes it will be a "reach" but he just seems like a Buddy Nix kind of guy to me. This guy can be the face of the franchise.

Edited by Why So Serious?

The Link goes back to TwoBillsDrive.com

I think this is the link you meant to post:

http://www.buffalosportsdaily.com/source-bills-remain-very-high-on-cameron-jordan/

Based on Bills draft history of taking the guy, that everyone calls a "reach" I fully expect Cam Jordan to be the pick.

If it happens, I also fully expect this is to be the first time in a long time that the Bills get it right.

Cam Jordan is not going to be a sack master, but he will be a pocket collapser with a High Motor. Paired with Kyle Williams you have 2 guys like that on the D-Line that require atleast 3 Offensive lineman's attention and probably a TE to help as well.

It will allow the Moats, Poz and the LBs we draft in the 2nd and 3rd round to make plays.

Yes Marcell Dareaus, and Fairely maybe better pure talent but we're splitting hairs here in the Top10. Neither Dareaus or Fairely have it upstairs in the mental department like Cameron Jordan. Cam Jordan is entering the draft after completing is Senior year, was a team captain at Cal, and has NFl bloodlines. He is a Buddy Nix kinda guy if there ever were one in my opinion. Get to know this possible future Buffalo Bill before you push the "reach" button.

Think of this way. What are the risks associated with Bowers, Quinn, Fairely & Dareaus?

What are the risks associated with Cameron Jordan?

For a team that needs a sure thing, Cameron Jordan looks to me as the closest you can get to a sure thing, and that is never a "reach."

I put this in the other thread about Cam Jordan to help people get familiar with this guy:

NICE! :thumbsup:

I won't really pretend to know jack about how any of these guys will translate from college to pro ball, but I have liked what I have seen of this kid.

A good scenario would be someone trading up to get a chance at one of the QB's......and we get Jordan and a 2nd. Which we turn into a QB

It would have to be a top 10 to get Jordan. No matter many mocks have him in the teens, dude will be a top10 pick, you take that two the bank.

I'm in favor of almost any tradedown where we get Top 15, an additional second and it would probably have to be 2 more mid round picks either in 2011 or 2012, JJ Watt should be there from 10-15.

By no means do I claim to have any special insight into Cam Jordan. But if you feel he's not going to become a "sack master" but merely a "pocket collapser," then how do you justify taking him third overall? I feel the third overall pick should be an elite difference-maker--the kind of guy who earns lots of frequent flyer miles because of his trips to the Pro Bowl. If Cam Jordan can give us that, if he's more of a sure thing than any of the other front-7 defensive players available, and if there isn't some player at some other position you like more, maybe it would make sense to pull the trigger. But I don't see using the third overall pick on him unless he's going to be one of the five or seven best RDEs in the league.

By no means do I claim to have any special insight into Cam Jordan. But if you feel he's not going to become a "sack master" but merely a "pocket collapser," then how do you justify taking him third overall? I feel the third overall pick should be an elite difference-maker--the kind of guy who earns lots of frequent flyer miles because of his trips to the Pro Bowl. If Cam Jordan can give us that, if he's more of a sure thing than any of the other front-7 defensive players available, and if there isn't some player at some other position you like more, maybe it would make sense to pull the trigger. But I don't see using the third overall pick on him unless he's going to be one of the five or seven best RDEs in the league.

3-4 DEs don't get alot of sacks. They go to the pro bowl when they collapse pockets and require the offensive line to use atleast two players to block them, like our current Pro Bowler at NT.

Fairely, or Dareus won't be sack masters in the NFL but will be top 5 picks too.

"Merely a pocket collapser" like the NFL is filled with unblockable defenders that require offenses to adjust and allow the rest of the defense to get 1 on 1s or left unblocked.

A pocket collapser is an elite player that is one of the hardest players to find that's why they generally go in the top 10, and WRs, CBs and LBs don't generally go that high.

5 technique ends like Jordan are not taken high historically, I think I remember hearing something that Tyson Jackson was the first one taken in the top ten in the last 10 years or so. I don't think the positional value is there in the 3-4, it would be sort of like picking a rb that high. Not that Jordan wouldn't work out, I just think the perception is the dropoff from #1 to #10 3-4 DE is not as great as the dropoff from #1 to #10 qb, lt, wr, cb, etc.

5 technique ends like Jordan are not taken high historically, I think I remember hearing something that Tyson Jackson was the first one taken in the top ten in the last 10 years or so. I don't think the positional value is there in the 3-4, it would be sort of like picking a rb that high. Not that Jordan wouldn't work out, I just think the perception is the dropoff from #1 to #10 3-4 DE is not as great as the dropoff from #1 to #10 qb, lt, wr, cb, etc.

Agreed but Cam Jordan is a 3 down lineman that can be put in in the inside in the Nickel, and has played in a 3-4 and 4-3, and a hybrid system in college and been productive and a disruptive force.

I don't know if you can pigeon hole him as a 5 technique.

I'd agree with the Drop off statement as well.

The 10th ranked 3-4 DE can probably make a roster and contribute. The 10th ranked QB might not make a roster or just be a practice squad QB. RB and CB may be a different story and I think the 10th ranked LT is called a RT. You have categories of RB & CB, In my opinion there are ones that can walk in and start and ones that need to be coached up to contribute. The difference between the 5th ranked RB & CB and 15th ranked RB & CB is probably negligible. In my opinion its the top of the class that can contribute right away where there is probably the biggest difference.

• 5 weeks later...

Honestly there wasn't much separation all the guys who actually ran the shuttle (except for Clayborne and Watt who kicked everyone else's ass). His vertical leap was a lot better than Dareus's (who only jumped 27 inches).

So the question becomes (and I like Cameron Jordon to) why not just take JJ Watt

Honestly this is why unless you have Von Miller pegged at 3 (which the bills may very well have) why not trade down a bit and take either Cam Jordon or JJ Watt

Listen, I'm not knocking Jordan as a player and I like Moran's stuff. I don't doubt that he could be considered a top 10 prospect by certain teams, but drafting with the 3rd pick is a big responsibility. I think Mayock has him at 11, mainly bc of his scheme versatility. But, lets not fool ourselves. He's a poor man's Marcel Dareus. I just can't figure out how you take him at 3. Maybe the Bills can trade down and take him, but as we all know, thats way easier said than done. I think taking him inside the top 5 would be a huge reach.

The top rated 3-4 DE who can stop the run and rush the passer/collapse the pocket at #3 Overall, is way less of a reach than picking an undersized, one dimensional OLB. IMO.

Not even considering his years of production, his bloodline, and his top-notch upbringing/character.

I agree that Dareus should be our first choice. But if he is already gone, wouldnt the best pick available be a trench player that can play both facets of the game (pass and run)?

Who says he is the top rated 3-4 DE? I think that is very debatable. Very few people reputable talent evaluators have him as a top 5 talent. Jordan is good, no doubt about it. But, how can you take him ahead of Miller, Quinn, Fairley or Bowers? I mean, come on. If the Bills were sitting at 12 like usual, I'd be all for it. But, they aren't. And if they aren't going QB (an idea that I'm warming too), they need to take a guy with a higher upside than Jordan. IMO, Miller, Fairley, Quinn and even Bowers are more talented. If Bowers didn't have those injury concerns, would we even be having this conversation? The Jordan love is totally based around the fact that he can play end in a 3-4. That's really, in my opinion, overemphasizing how important scheme is to the Bills. They play a hybrid. They'll find a role for any of these defenders we keep talking about.

From that list, easy:

Miller - undersized, one dimensional player who wont help with our Run Defense

Quinn - huge risk as he only has 1 productive season from 2 years ago, hasnt seen the field in over a year.

Bowers - injured, and never liked him anyways. He's all the way out of the top 10 rankings from a number of analysts.

Fairley is the only player Id pick from that list over Jordan, if it were up to me.

Nix has stated numerous times that while they are going to run a hybrid this year, they are drafting to build a 3-4 defense. He said you "must" pick a scheme and draft for it and that the Bills are picking the 3-4.

I know you are down on Miller, and I'm not trying to pick a fight here, but outside of amateur talent evaluators on message boards, who backs up that opinion on Miller? I'm not saying that the Mike Mayocks of the world are always right. I'm well aware of the Curry/Maybin issues that come with talking about linebackers as high as 3. Personally, I'd take Dareus over Miller and I wouldn't be upset with Fairley over him either (I just don't know where he fits on the Bills). But Cameron Jordan? I mean, just how much better is Jordan than Heyward? I'm serious, that isn't meant to be sarcastic. They look the same on paper and overall, they have the same strengths. Bc Heyward might be there for us in the 2nd. So why take Jordan at 3?

I understand Im in the vast minority of not being completely in love with Miller. And Im ok with that. It's all opinions for now. And Ive also said that Miller may very well go on to have a good/great career, it's just that there are other players available that kill more birds with one stone.

We agree that Dareus and Fairley would be better picks for this team than Miller. I kind of use the same logic behind those thoughts to apply it to Jordan.

Sure, Heyward MAY be there in the 2nd. But he also might not. And all it takes is a run to start on DL, and then by the time we get to #34, we'll be picking out of a lesser group.

Trench players can and do effect EVERY play they are on the field for. And there are a handful of very good DLs available in the draft. Personally, I take one of those DLs first since we'll just about have our choice of the group, and then once we have the Front Line addressed, we can pick LBs later in the draft.

I cant specifically answer which player will be better in the NFL, because as you are aware, we wont know for another 2 years or so. But there is a LOT to like about Jordan. It's just my researched and planned out opinion on how I would do it.

Edited by DrDankenstein

I think Jordan would be a reach at 3, yes, for a few reasons.

One is that I think there are better 5-tech DEs in this draft; I personally prefer JJ Watt to Jordan (I think Dareus will be gone at 2).

Mostly though, I don't think there's a big dropoff between a guy like Jordan and some of the 5-tech prospects the team could draft in the 2nd round. There's sure to be one of the following available at pick 34, all of whom I feel can be almost as effective as Jordan:

Cameron Heyward

Muhammad Wilkerson

Adrian Clayborn

Marvin Austin

Jurrell Casey

Steven Paea

Christian Ballard

Allen Bailey

One is that I think there are better 5-tech DEs in this draft; I personally prefer JJ Watt to Jordan (I think Dareus will be gone at 2).

Mostly though, I don't think there's a big dropoff between a guy like Jordan and some of the 5-tech prospects the team could draft in the 2nd round. There's sure to be one of the following available at pick 34, all of whom I feel can be almost as effective as Jordan:

Cameron Heyward

Muhammad Wilkerson

Adrian Clayborn

Marvin Austin

Jurrell Casey

Steven Paea

Christian Ballard

Allen Bailey

I have to run out quickly, so I dont have time to analyze your entire list. However, from a first glance, you have a few players listed who most certainly will NOT play the 5-tech in a 3-4.

Marvin Austin and Steven Paea are the first two to jump out.

Back in a bit...

Cameron Heyward

Muhammad Wilkerson

Adrian Clayborn

Marvin Austin

Jurrell Casey

Steven Paea

Christian Ballard

Allen Bailey

That's essentially my point. I mean, as I just posted in another thread, I literally have no clue who the Bills will pick, and to be honest, I'm not even sure I know who I'd WANT them to pick. The lack of free agency made this draft 10x more difficult to predict, and I'm sure it made planning by the FO of each team 20x harder (for example, if the Bills added depth at linebacker via FA and re-signed Poz, would we even be talking about Miller). I imagine each team is going to leave FA out of the equation and just assume that whoever they don't have under contract for 2011, can't be accounted for as a member of the team. That is why I THOUGHT the Bills would go hard for defense, until I realized that there aren't many teams with a top 3 pick and no long term QB, who skip over having a chance to draft a high grade QB.

But at least in terms of Jordan, with so many options for the Bills later in the draft, they better see a huge difference between him and say, Adrian Clayborn, for the Bills to take that risk. Id you're the Bills, I honestly think you need to swing for the fences. That wouldn't mean picking Jordan at 3.

Edited by Union2008

I think we can all agree that the game of Football is won and lost in the trenches. Everything starts and stops at the line of scrimmage. Control the line, control the game.

Last year, the Bills decided to take a "behind the line" player instead of addressing their trenches. Specifically, the glaring hole at OT. They were afraid of "reaching" for an OT and instead took "the most talented Running Back". What we quickly found out was simple, even the most talented RB cant run the ball through the OLine when they suck. It's something we've been seeing in Buffalo for the past decade. Meanwhile, the OT we were "afraid to reach for" went on to start the entire season for the SUPER BOWL CHAMPS.

This year, the experts and most fans want us to take ANOTHER "behind the line" player instead of addressing the obvious needs in the trenches. Von Miller, as a speed specialist is almost a perfect defensive analogy for CJ Spiller. His play will be directly effected by our Line in front of him, and our DLine is no where near complete. Miller will only be successful if our DLine already poses a greater threat than even he does, and they simply do not.

Now Im hearing that we are "afraid of reaching" for a DLineman in one of the best DL drafts in recent history. This blows my mind.

I would much rather take Jordan at #3 overall than Von Miller. Miller may be the more talented player. Miller may go on to have a great career somewhere else. But I simply do not think he'll be able to translate his game to the NFL without a TOP NOTCH DLine in front of him.

I also do not think taking a DL in the 2nd or 3rd will be the answer needed for creating that Top Notch DL. Get one of the top 5 ranked DLinemen at #3 and go from there. They will singlehandedly make our LBs better. Much like a good OLine making good RBs "great" (see: Emmitt Smith, Thurman Thomas).

If a guy is good enough to be taken at 10, he's good enough to be taken at 3.

The jags "reached" for Alualu last year and look how that turned out. I dont think you can go wrong with Jordan.

If Dareus is gone, i've got no problem with Miller/Jordan at #3.

I have to run out quickly, so I dont have time to analyze your entire list. However, from a first glance, you have a few players listed who most certainly will NOT play the 5-tech in a 3-4.

Marvin Austin and Steven Paea are the first two to jump out.

Back in a bit...

I don't necessarily mean that's where each of those guys will end up, but rather that I think they could play the position. The only downside I could see to a guy like Austin or Paea playing 5-tech is that they both lack ideal arm length, but I think that's splitting hairs. Either could make a good oustide run defender on 1st/2nd down, and could kick inside on 3rd downs or when we move to a 4-3 alignment.

I think we can all agree that the game of Football is won and lost in the trenches. Everything starts and stops at the line of scrimmage. Control the line, control the game.

Last year, the Bills decided to take a "behind the line" player instead of addressing their trenches. Specifically, the glaring hole at OT. They were afraid of "reaching" for an OT and instead took "the most talented Running Back". What we quickly found out was simple, even the most talented RB cant run the ball through the OLine when they suck. It's something we've been seeing in Buffalo for the past decade. Meanwhile, the OT we were "afraid to reach for" went on to start the entire season for the SUPER BOWL CHAMPS.

This year, the experts and most fans want us to take ANOTHER "behind the line" player instead of addressing the obvious needs in the trenches. Von Miller, as a speed specialist is almost a perfect defensive analogy for CJ Spiller. His play will be directly effected by our Line in front of him, and our DLine is no where near complete. Miller will only be successful if our DLine already poses a greater threat than even he does, and they simply do not.

Now Im hearing that we are "afraid of reaching" for a DLineman in one of the best DL drafts in recent history. This blows my mind.

I would much rather take Jordan at #3 overall than Von Miller. Miller may be the more talented player. Miller may go on to have a great career somewhere else. But I simply do not think he'll be able to translate his game to the NFL without a TOP NOTCH DLine in front of him.

I also do not think taking a DL in the 2nd or 3rd will be the answer needed for creating that Top Notch DL. Get one of the top 5 ranked DLinemen at #3 and go from there. They will singlehandedly make our LBs better. Much like a good OLine making good RBs "great" (see: Emmitt Smith, Thurman Thomas).

I definitely hear and respect that logic. I've been arguing for years that the biggest problem facing the Bills' rebuilding efforts has been the lack of emphasis they've placed on rebuilding the defensive/offensive lines. So, in so far as THAT should be given focus, I agree. And I actually concur with the Miller/Spiller comparison, in that both of their respective successes will depend on the ability of both the D-Line/O-Line to hold up their end of the bargain (though I think this is much more of an issue with a RB than with a linebacker). At the same time, I have no problem with the Spiller pick, bc there were no offensive lineman worth reaching for at his slot (look back in the draft and tell me who'd you prefer, its easy to criticize the choice, but who would have been the better pick in retrospect? There is no clear cut better choice). And regarding this current draft, I completely disagree with the notion that if a guy is good enough to take at 10, he is good enough to take at 3. What!? Having a top 3 choice is not the same as having the number 10 overall pick. A number 3 draft choice is not the time to follow a pre-set methodology that says: "No matter who is on the board, we are going to take defensive/offensive lineman". If you have a number 3 draft pick, you better strongly consider taking the best player on your board, regardless of position. Hell, I'd prefer Peterson or AJ Green over Cameron Jordan. I think that is what you need to focus on when you pick that high. Not "who's going to fix a problem", but rather "who are we not going to have the chance to pick again". And I know that AJ Green and Peterson would be the epitome of luxury picks! But, this is just the beginning of whats going to be a 2-3 year rebuilding process. So I'm okay with the Bills taking the best guy out there for the time being.

Edited by Union2008

During WWII, an American general in what would later become the U.S. Air Force said (not an exact quote), "I will not go so far as to say we can win the war with air superiority alone. But I will say that the war will not be won without it."

I think a similar argument can be made about the trenches. If your offensive line fails to provide decent pass protection or run-blocking, your offense as a whole is likely to collapse. Similarly, if you can't get a decent pass rush from your front-4 (in a 4-3) or your front 3 + 1 (3-4), you're setting your defense up to have a lot of problems.

But once your front lines are playing at least as well as those of the other team, the skill positions begin to matter considerably more than they otherwise would have. Consider the Ravens of 2000. It's safe to say that their lines were good to dominant on both sides of the ball. But their offense went five straight games without scoring a touchdown. They had a very good OL led by a Hall of Fame-level LT in Jon Ogden. Unfortunately for them, they also had Tony Banks at quarterback for the first few of those touchdown-less games. Even after Trent Dilfer provided an upgrade at QB, their QB situation still wasn't anything to write home about.

If you have an offense with a good OL--which the Ravens did--and if you add good weapons, it's like building a high quality Ferrari. But then, if you put a Tony Banks in at quarterback, it's like handing the keys to that Ferrari to someone's grandmother. You're not going to win too many races with her in the driver's seat, no matter how good a job you did in building that Ferrari in the first place! The better your car, the better the driver it deserves to have.

An offensive line which can give the QB five seconds to throw is a thing of beauty. Giving all that pass protection to a Tony Banks or a Trent Dilfer is a squandering of your offense's great potential. You are much better off giving those five seconds of pass protection to a Kurt Warner or an Aaron Rodgers. Trust me--a Kurt Warner with five seconds of pass protection will do much more damage to the defense than Tony Banks or Trent Dilfer would have!

Also--while I agree your WRs are less important than your OL or your QB, they still do matter. If nothing else, you at least want WRs who are reasonably good at avoiding dropped passes. Not to mention a TE who's a good outlet receiver for a QB that's in trouble. Obviously you want a receiving corps that can do more than just that. But you at least need that.