Buddy high on Troup

Aloha22

Think about this for a minute. The run D last year wasn't pounded into submission -- and RBs didn't have great success running it up the gut. The run D took most of its lumps in pursuit and in allowing RBs to cut-back. That is more on the DEs and LBs in my mind. And that is why I tend to agree that we need more help at LB and DE (especially LB) than we do at DT.

Sorry - you lost most of the board with that first sentence. :rolleyes:

Seriously - you're raising a great point:

Our LB play last year was epic bad. I could see them going with Dareus as a DE though.

They need the next Patrick Wills more than anything - sadly there doesn't appear to be one in the draft.

As for OLB - Nix's comments still seem to be pointing at Merriman and Moats as the reasons they will be better at OLB in 2011 than they were in 2010.

I still have no idea what position Kelsay is really supposed to play in a 3-4.

Edited by BobChalmers

Nix was asked specifically about having two defensive tackles in Pro Bowler Kyle Williams and Torell Troup and flatly replied, "I don't think that's an area of need. I don't." Nix added that Troup, last year's second-round draft pick, would rate "probably first or second" on this year's draft board at nose tackle.

Further evidence that this franchise doesn't have a damn clue and is going nowhere. :wallbash:

Think about this for a minute. The run D last year wasn't pounded into submission -- and RBs didn't have great success running it up the gut. The run D took most of its lumps in pursuit and in allowing RBs to cut-back. That is more on the DEs and LBs in my mind. And that is why I tend to agree that we need more help at LB and DE (especially LB) than we do at DT.

+1 (at least)

I'm glad there are others that actually watch the games. Our LB and DE play last season was abysmal. They fed off each other. DEs that can't set an edge, LBs that over-pursue the cutback, etc.

GO BILLS!!!

+1 (at least)

I'm glad there are others that actually watch the games. Our LB and DE play last season was abysmal. They fed off each other. DEs that can't set an edge, LBs that over-pursue the cutback, etc.

GO BILLS!!!

+2

This. It's time to pick a real difference maker in Dareus.

Marcell Dareous, Nick Fairley, Muhommad Wilkerson, Corey Liuget, Stephen Paea, Phil Taylor, and Marvin Austin. This is one of the deepest DL drafts I have ever seen. If Buddy is truthful and truly believes Troup would rank #1 or 2 in this class- that is indeed high praise

He said that Troup would be the #1 or #2 Nose Tackle, not necessarily DT... big difference.

Yeah, I think you guys who think saying "we are set at DT with Kyle and Troup" means that they wouldn't pick Fairley or Dareus are missing the point. He was clearly talking about base 3-4 NT's as opposed to hybrid DE/DT that our defense would use.

Back to the point at hand, I don't see the issue with giving the kid a chance. If nothing else you have to love his attitude...he tweeted this shortly after the de-certification:

TorellTroup torell troup

Im not unemployed becuz my job is the weight room this off season anyway. Football will work it self out. So ill be at work bright and early

With all the switching between 3-4 and 4-3 fronts I cannot tell exactly what player is the best fit but to me it is obvious that the run defense was very bad and the pass rush was just as bad. That spells DE and LB.

If he is happy with William and Troup at DT that is great. Now please draft someone that can play DE in a 3-4. I am not sold on Carrington, Kelsey, Moats, Dwan Edwards, or Spencer Johnson. Get someone that can play with an impact, that can stop the run and rush the passer. PLEASE.

Look at the logic they used to draft Spiller when we already had Jackson and Lynch. Just because we drafted two DLs and two LBs last year does not mean we should not draft more this year.

In addition, the LB crew we have is very poor across the board and counting on Merriman to return to past form is a big risk.

Nix was asked specifically about having two defensive tackles in Pro Bowler Kyle Williams and Torell Troup and flatly replied, "I don't think that's an area of need. I don't." Nix added that Troup, last year's second-round draft pick, would rate "probably first or second" on this year's draft board at nose tackle.

Further evidence that this franchise doesn't have a damn clue and is going nowhere. :wallbash:

No, interior DL is not an area of need after being the 32nd ranked team in the NFL against the run at more than 10 yards worse than Denver at 31. Perhaps Buddy missed some games last year or just plain forgot how bad that defense was. After all, the season ended more than 2 months ago.

So this just in: Buddy Nix isn't prepared to give up on his 2nd rounder last season not becoming a strong starter at his only position - NT.

Yeah - like I've been saying for a while - whatever people on this board think about our DL, Nix just invested the lion's share of last offseason to upgrade it (Troup, Carrington, Dwan Edwards) - he's not about to do that all over again just so last year's acquisitions can ride the bench.

They might go DE given that Stroud's gone - but they'll have to find a spot for Kelsay, Edwards, and Carrington.

If they don't think Williams is moving to DE (and maybe even if they do move him), there is no freaking way they take Dareus or Fairley.

I wouldn't rule out Bowers/Quinn if they think they can play OLB and aren't convinced Merriman can come back, but more likely Miller, Green, Gabbert, or Peterson - whichever they see as this year's Spiller (BPA).

Dareus will play a 3-4 end in the NFL. He would be perfect for this team especially in running situations. Kelsay is garbage. A rotatoin of Carrington, Edwards, and Dareus would be quite good at DE. Dareus can also move inside to and line up next to either Williams or Troup when they want to switch to a 4-3.

Personally I want a trade down to 8-10 and take Quinn or Cam Jordan, or stay at 3 and take Gabbert or Von Miller. I would be fine with Dareus though. I want no part of Fairley and his bumb shoulder or the Newton experiment, no thank you.

No, interior DL is not an area of need after being the 32nd ranked team in the NFL against the run at more than 10 yards worse than Denver at 31. Perhaps Buddy missed some games last year or just plain forgot how bad that defense was. After all, the season ended more than 2 months ago.

This is an easy message to read imo. Ralph wants a qb at #3. Period.

Imo, if Nix were to draft anything else, he would be fired immediately. Spiller sucked and he failed to sell tickets. He was a stupid selection. A QB, even if he doesn't start right away, WILL sell tickets. It is also very possible that drafting a qb would be the right move, assuming there is a great one at #3.

I am thinking that this time around, even the Bills wouldn't be stupid enough to draft a RB, WR or CB at #3. Ralph is a good buisnessman. He makes money but doesn't have a clue about football. That said, he is in charge. My guess is that he clicks this time in round 1, and leaves the rest of the draft up to football people.

Who really knows?

If Troup fails it won't be for lack of effort. But because he wasn't dominant as a rookie he will be an awful player moving forward.

So ready to hit the gym but i have to wait on my workout partner

13 hours ago vía Echofon

Im not unemployed becuz my job is the weight room this off season anyway. Football will work it self out. So ill be at work bright and early

2:01 AM Mar 12th vía Echofon

Walking out the gym. How yall doin

8:31 PM Mar 11th vía Echofon

Headed to work

6:04 PM Mar 11th vía Echofon

Today was a great day in the gym. Check out the shrugs. Light weight, high reps.. Dad first..

8:02 PM Mar 10th vía TwitVid iPhone

http://twitter.com/TorellTroup

I'd find it a lot scarier if we had a GM who was giving up on his top picks every year and starting over with more picks at the same position.

There has been a GM like that in the NFL recently - his name was Matt Millen. Your mileage may vary, but most view him as the worst GM ever.

Thumbs up on this post

While we still might be going defensive heavy in this draft....I think people should be just as ready for offensive picks early....

Who would you rank 1 and 2 at 3-4 NOSE tackle?