Mallet 5.4 in the 40 does it matter?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL. I really can't see that being a factor at all.

I agree that QB 40 time is not a big factor, but I don't know if he even has the subtle

movement skill to avoid rushers within the pocket. Combine that with questions about

his character, work ethic and judgement and I'm not very interested (though, he has

so much arm talent that top o the 3rd I might be tempted).

I just dont see Mallet becoming a Bill. Nix and Gailey pushed for high character guys in the last draft, guys without a drug issue hanging over their heads (rightly or wrongly). Also Gailey has been known for excelling with mobile QB's and with Mallet being timed at 5.4 secs for the 40 that doesn't describe him. However, I think in years to come, this guy will be looked upon as the best QB in the draft and will be yet another "why did we take ......... when we could have gotten Mallet". It's all about personal opinion, and I trust in what Gailey and Nix are doing, but I think this guy is going to be the real deal.

I don't think anyone expected him to be fast but 5.4 is slow for a OT does this drop him out of the second round?

No. His game was never based on his mobility. He's a classic pocket passer. If he goes in 2nd it's because of football knowledge

issues or character concerns. He needs to go to a team with a good offensive line.

Edited by purple haze

I agree that QB 40 time is not a big factor, but I don't know if he even has the subtle

movement skill to avoid rushers within the pocket. Combine that with questions about

his character, work ethic and judgement and I'm not very interested (though, he has

ya, i'm not sure if i'd be interested in mallett much either..but i realistically can't see him lasting until the 3rd round. He'll be gone in the high 2nd round at worst. The numbers he put up in college, combined with his arm and size will be too hard to for a team to pass up on 2 times. But again, I wouldn't be very interested in the guy

Edited by bobobonators

The question is, do we pick him up if he's there in the second (assuming we address our run defense)

Mallett:

Intangibles: Some have concerns over his maturity level. Has a brash personality that has caused some to question whether he possesses the leadership to handle an NFL huddle. Was never voted a team captain with the Razorbacks despite the fact that quarterbacks are often pushed by coaching staffs as such. Very confident in his own talent and early in his career wasn't known for his dedication to the film room. Arrested for public intoxication on March 1, 2009, in Fayetteville.

No thanks. I'll gladly defer that potential headache to another franchise.

I guess I'm not sure why you don't think he can shuffle 3-4 steps in any direction to avoid the rush? Athletically that's easy - a mental issue not a speed one.

I guess I'm not sure why you don't think he can shuffle 3-4 steps in any direction to avoid the rush? Athletically that's easy - a mental issue not a speed one.

I'm just saying that it isn't a given that he can. That type of mobility is sort of innate and is as much

mental ability as it is physical. If it was easy, then guys like Drew Bledsoe would have mastered it. Anyone

who remembers Bledsoe being a complete statue behind the Bills' OL can readily say that he didn't.

I'm just saying that it isn't a given that he can. That type of mobility is sort of innate and is as much

mental ability as it is physical. If it was easy, then guys like Drew Bledsoe would have mastered it. Anyone

who remembers Bledsoe being a complete statue behind the Bills' OL can readily say that he didn't.

My argument being he didn't know where to step not that he wasn't fast enough to shuffle a couple feet. It takes little to no speed to move a little. This time effects things like bootlegs much more. Pocket presence is about your head more then speed.

Edited by NoSaint

Mallett is an absolute no-brainer pick in the 2nd round. He is by far the best pure passer in this QB class. If he turns out to be coachable, he has the potential to be the best player to come out of this draft. He would have great mentors in Gailey, Cortez, and Fitzy. IMO...it would be well worth the risk. :thumbsup:

I read Brady was a 5.23. Mallet reminds me of him in the pocket, appearance and mannerisms only. The combine seemed to hurt his stock even without the 40 time.

I thought Mallett performed rather well at the combine. What did you see from him that might have hurt his stock?

Edited by Johnny Hammersticks

5.4 forty is crazy slow. Can he feel the heat and step up or out and see down field and will he know the blitz is coming and be able to hit the hot receiver. These would be better skill sets but in todays NFL with eloborate blitz packages and over loads he could have some real trouble unless he plays behind the best O line and blocking RBs in the league. Sadly that does not describe the Bills. A 5.4/40 would likely make him one of the slowest Qbs in the league and that time will get worse not better with time.