Go figure

gjv001

The Bills Brass not only determined Chris Kelsay was worth keeping on the roster, they actually extyended him for 6 mil a season. Go figure.

Is there one positive post you can show me that you have written??? I'm confused why you are a Bills fan... Unless I'm foolish and you have some inside source of the FO, why are you so negative?????? Just sayin!!!

:blink:

Is there one positive post you can show me that you have written??? I'm confused why you are a Bills fan... Unless I'm foolish and you have some inside source of the FO, why are you so negative?????? Just sayin!!!

That was a positive post!

O, and I actually hate being a Bills fan. Its a hopeless addiction I wish I could free myself of - but I cant. If you can show me one reason to be more positive, I promise Ill try to be more positive, I just dont see any reason to!

That was a positive post!

O, and I actually hate being a Bills fan. Its a hopeless addiction I wish I could free myself of - but I cant. If you can show me one reason to be more positive, I promise Ill try to be more positive, I just dont see any reason to!

I have to admit, at least your not a band wagon hopper. The positive thing about the Bills right now is at least we were in a lot of those games last year and they showed us signs of hope. IMO... Other than the Packers, Vikings, last Patriots game and both Jets games, we were in all of those games. We did much better than the past few years. I think if we could have stopped the run :wallbash: , we would have won a lot more of those games...

It's hard to be positive when you've got 1 winning season in 11, the GM hypes a 1st round RB who gains 440 yards from the LOS his rookie season, they don't know which defense they're running, and they've won 31 games in 5 years. A fan can be and should be critical, unless they're casual fans or started watching within the past few years.

Stroud is strictly a penetrating 4-3 DT. The Pats run a 3-4 and their run defense was poor last year. If he makes the team, he'll only play a handful of snaps at best.

NE can and does play a 4-3 at times. Marginalize them all you want, but they are improving with Mayo, McCourty, Warren, Meriweather and of course Wilfork along with having Belichick.

Then again, you've never been wrong on this board, so I'll just bow to your omniscience.

Edited by BillsVet

NE can and does play a 4-3 at times. Marginalize them all you want, but they are improving with Mayo, McCourty, Warren, Meriweather and of course Wilfork along with having Belichick.

Then again, you've never been wrong on this board, so I'll just bow to your omniscience.

Yes, they play a 4-3 at times, which is why I said that Stroud would probably see a handful of snaps a game, because he'd only play as a DT in a 4-3 alignment on obvious passing downs. But where you got that I "marginalized them," or claimed I am never wrong, is anyone's guess. :rolleyes:

It's hard to be positive when you've got 1 winning season in 11, the GM hypes a 1st round RB who gains 440 yards from the LOS his rookie season, they don't know which defense they're running, and they've won 31 games in 5 years. A fan can be and should be critical, unless they're casual fans or started watching within the past few years.

Actually I've been watching since we lost to cleveland in the playoffs. 88? I think we are heading in a good direction. Did you see the same games I did?? Am I wrong in saying we played better than we have in the past? Other than not stopping the run, our D kept us in some of those games. Put Fitz in good positions to make plays. As for the rookie RB you talk of, come on!!! He was a rookie with a brand new offense that everybody was learning. I think the guy deserves at least 2 years to develop.

:beer:

Yes, they play a 4-3 at times, which is why I said that Stroud would probably see a handful of snaps a game, because he'd only play as a DT in a 4-3 alignment on obvious passing downs. But where you got that I "marginalized them," or claimed I am never wrong, is anyone's guess. :rolleyes:

You and I don't agree on much, but I'm willing to trust Belichick more than anyone at OBD for obvious reasons. We don't know the details of Stroud's contract, but it's for 2 years. A team doesn't give 2 years to a soon to be 33 year old unless A) they see something the player can do B) the deal is reasonable or C) It's Buddy Nix looking for an OT from the Raiders

The point to all of this remains that Buffalo doesn't have a good track record in anything while NE does in almost everything. Until the Bills prove themselves capable of winning in the regular season by making smart moves, they're going to be questioned. It didn't help that Nix got off to a rousing start signing players like mid-season cut Cornell Green and then drafts a RB 9th overall who gains 440 yards from scrimmage.

The two teams are in entirely different modes, no? The Bills, as they've said publicly more than once, are building for the future, 3 or 4 years from now. The Patriots time is the present. I'm sure they are thinking about the future as well, but they also are looking to win championships right now. An aging 33 year old, 3-technique DT doesn't really figure prominently in the plans of the Bills 3-4 D down the road 3 or 4 years, but at the right contract he could be a real asset for a team that's willing to spend a little money on insurance as they make yet another run at the Lombardi. (At the right contract, they give him a chance, and if he is totally done then just cut him and move on.)

You and I don't agree on much, but I'm willing to trust Belichick more than anyone at OBD for obvious reasons. We don't know the details of Stroud's contract, but it's for 2 years. A team doesn't give 2 years to a soon to be 33 year old unless A) they see something the player can do B) the deal is reasonable or C) It's Buddy Nix looking for an OT from the Raiders

The point to all of this remains that Buffalo doesn't have a good track record in anything while NE does in almost everything. Until the Bills prove themselves capable of winning in the regular season by making smart moves, they're going to be questioned. It didn't help that Nix got off to a rousing start signing players like mid-season cut Cornell Green and then drafts a RB 9th overall who gains 440 yards from scrimmage.

Marcus Stroud: A big name, but is there anything left?

February 16th, 2011 | Author: Sam Monson

Hot Start

2008 was Stroud’s first season as a Bill, and by far his most successful. His season featured two of the best graded games we have ever given to a defensive tackle. Opening the season at home to Seattle he recorded a pair of sacks and added another six pressures. Then in Week 11, when the Bills hosted the Browns he was able to knock down the passer twice and add five more pressures. These games were as dominant as anything we had seen from an interior lineman (until his former Bill teammate Kyle Williams redefined dominance against the Steelers in 2010).

He finished the season inside the top 10 of our DT rankings that year with a +17.1 PFF grade on the season, but Stroud scored a +19.2 grade from those two monster games alone. For the 14 other games Stroud actually graded out below average. The signs were there for the Bills that sinking money into Stroud might not have been the best plan. Especially since in the same year, much less heralded defensive tackle Kyle Williams finished with a +26.5 PFF grade and since gone on to become one of the leagues’ standouts at the position.

Never justifying the money

After the Bills extended Stroud’s contract, he has never looked likely to justify the salary. 2009 saw his play drive over a cliff. From being ranked in the top 10 the previous season, albeit on the back of a pair of huge games, Stroud found himself rooted near the bottom of our DT rankings in ’09. Stroud’s -17.7 PFF grade for the season was bad enough to rank him 83rd amongst DTs, just two spots better off than Ryan Sims, a name synonymous with defensive tackle bust.......

Worth a look?

As with all big names that get released, the first question thousands of fans ask is “Is he worth bringing in”? In the case of Marcus Stroud, you can probably get your answer from looking at who released him.

Buffalo had the worst run defense in the NFL in 2010, and they decided that they were better off without him. Stroud is now 32 years old, and like so many NFL players, his career has taken a steep nosedive in flight-path after his 30th birthday.

more.............

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2011/02/16/marcus-stroud-a-big-name-but-is-there-anything-left/

Like Pat Williams?

Some people age differently, I guess. Who knows? All I know is Stroud was not being effective for us, for the hybrid defense that he will also play in NE. We will see how this plays out, I wish him all the luck in the world (except against us), he is a classy guy

The Patriots aren't infallible when signing fading stars/name players. Annually they add about 3-4 players who some Bills fans (ahem) lament "why didn't the Bills sign him?!" only to see them prove they were finished. Will this happen with Stroud? Given his age and play the past year or so, the answer is "probably yes." But we'll have to see, and if I'm wrong, I'll admit it.

And don't get me wrong, I loved it when the Bills traded for Stroud since he still had something left in the tank and he was a great locker room presence. But it's undeniable that his play has fallen-off severely since coming to Buffalo in 2008. And that's no knock on Stroud-it happens with age.

Stroud was easily taken out of runs plays last year. To his credit, he was not blocked by the TE like Kelsay. NE is going to pay him a lot less to be a rotation guy than the star pay he got in Buffalo. My issue is Littman and Ralph will not take the salary and pick up another starter.