I'm Gaining Interest in Blaine Gabbert

I wish the Bills weren't picking at 3. Too many good choices, too many needs, too few picks to fill them. And then there are the talented players who don't fill the Bills biggest needs, but who would be great additions. Anywhere but #3.

Blaine Gabbert's in that category, in my view.

Defense is our biggest need. And Dareus is an enticing pick. I like Cameron Jordan, too, but not that high. Ditto Quinn. But if not Dareus at #3 -- and if that's too high for Jordan or Quinn -- then what? Take a flyer on Newton?

I'd rather have Gabbert.

Did you read this month's Sporting News? He was originally a pro-style quarterback -- he only switched to the spread at Missouri. And he's worked with a quarterback coach who has helped groom Bradford, Stafford, and Matt Ryan, and that coach feels Gabbert is cut from the same cloth.

But again...is he worth it at #3? Are we patient enough to let him develop under Fitz? Or will he win the starting job? Are we willing to accept modest defensive upgrades in rounds 2-7, instead of a potential stud in round 1?

For once, that #9 overall pick we're used to from recent years sounds like the better position.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Blaine Gabbert's in that category, in my view.

I'd rather have Gabbert.

I agree, but the real problem for that now is that the media experts are expecting Carolina to take Gabbert at #1 so it may be a moot point what the Bills think of him.

They'll probably take the best available front-7 defender (though I'd be OK with AJ Green too).

I agree with your post up until you had mentioned that it would be better to have the 9th pick. That is if I read it correctly. If a trade down is possible then I'm in favor of having a pick later in the first round. I wish the Bills were better and we weren't picking at number 3 but they are not very good. The odds of them picking a blue chip player are much higher with the 3rd pick versus the 9th pick. I'm assuming you are saying that because there are so many choices at number 3 and it makes it hard as a fan to narrow down who they'll pick. I'm sure it had nothing to do with money since the Bills haven't been close to the salary cap for many years.

He ran a spread at Parkway West high school here in St. Louis.. Im not sure he ever ran a pro style offense.

You and your negativity. :)

I agree with your post up until you had mentioned that it would be better to have the 9th pick. That is if I read it correctly. If a trade down is possible then I'm in favor of having a pick later in the first round. I wish the Bills were better and we weren't picking at number 3 but they are not very good. The odds of them picking a blue chip player are much higher with the 3rd pick versus the 9th pick. I'm assuming you are saying that because there are so many choices at number 3 and it makes it hard as a fan to narrow down who they'll pick. I'm sure it had nothing to do with money since the Bills haven't been close to the salary cap for many years.

I'd love a trade down…but not that far. There are five players (none of them QBs) that I consider elite and if Gabbert goes first, I would want the Bills to be no lower than the 6th pick.

I know this isn't the common theme, but I think with one more year working with Chan, & some studs around him, I believe Fitz can get it done. He's got a quick release...something we haven't seen in a very long time, & he's a good decision maker. He won me over last year. Also, I believe Brown will be a fine #2 (smooth release & a good head on his shoulders). So let's pick pick up a #3 off the garbage heap & beef up with some studs this year...starting with Dareus.

I know this isn't the common theme, but I think with one more year working with Chan, & some studs around him, I believe Fitz can get it done. He's got a quick release...something we haven't seen in a very long time, & he's a good decision maker. He won me over last year. Also, I believe Brown will be a fine #2 (smooth release & a good head on his shoulders). So let's pick pick up a #3 off the garbage heap & beef up with some studs this year...starting with Dareus.

Trent had a quick release. I saw it on Sports Science with John Brenkus.

Edited by Peter Griffin

Trent had a quick release.

Yeah - Trent was famous for his lightning quick release in his first couple of years. He was dramatically quick compared to Losman and Bledsoe who preceded him, but his quick release was also the first thing all the national pundits lauded about him.

What he lost was his confidence to scan the field and his receivrers to get open, so his quick releases were all to short-range targets, and teams could crowd those out after a while, leaving him nothing.

Fitz is quick enough, but that's not why he was an upgrade.

If he could get more accurate he could be excellent. That's a heck of a big "if" though.

Edited by BobChalmers

I disagree with the notion that QB is not the Bills' biggest need. I like Fitzpatrick and I respect

him a great deal. Heck, I hope that he proves me wrong, but IMHO he is not a top 15 QB in the

NFL. I know that people hold up Trent Dilfer and Mark Rypien as examples of Super Bowl

winning QBs who weren't considered very good-to-great QBs, but Fitz (again, imo) is not in

their category in terms of physical skills. Now, I think he is great at getting the team into

good plays against the defense, he can direct the OL's blocking schemes and he makes good

quick decisions with where to go with the ball. However, he is more akin to the junk-ball

pitcher in MLB than he is to the front-line #1 or #2 starter. He might be the NFL's version

of Tim Redding.

I don't know if Blaine Gabbert is that elusive top 1/2 of the league starting QB or not, but if

the Bills believe he is, then I think the Bills MUST pick him (if he is available). I know that their

D is awful (and I don't want to watch a debacle like that again), but the opportunity to pick

an answer at QB is too much to pass on for any reason (again, if they are very confident

in Gabbert's ability, desire, effort, intelligence, etc).

IMHO, Cam Newton is too much of an uncertainty to consider at the Bills' pick.

Trent had a quick release. I saw it on Sports Science with John Brenkus.

I have seen this video before. It is entertaining, but means very little when real bullets are flying. I should have said that Fitz reads defenses well & knows what's going on...& therefore can get rid of the ball at the correct moment (most of the time), unlike Trent. I'm not saying Fitz is the next Jim Kelly...but I think he can get us to the playoffs with a solid team around him & some more time working with Gailey. The last thing we need right now is another QB project. I say we beef up in this draft...that's all. Yeah...Gabbert is intriguing, but I just don't feel it's the direction we should go this year. We simply have too many other needs.

This board makes me chuckle sometimes. For years the bills were thoroughly mediocre, going 7-9 over and over again. People then complained that it hurt our draft prospects because we picked just a bit too late to get truly elite talent.

Now the Bills finally bottom out and have the 3rd pick, where they will be able to nab almost any elite player they want, and people still complain like the OP is here. Posters left and right clamoring for them to trade down.

It's almost as if people are fans of complaining more than they are fans of the team.

DE at #3 and take Ponder early 2nd round. He has thrived in the pro offense and is a good decision maker. He would rate much higher had he had a defense that could win with 30 points on the board every game...

My concern about Gabbert is that before Luck announced he was going back to school, Gabbert wasn't even considered a 1st round pick,suddenly he is a top 10 pick. He hasn't played any games between now and then, what has changed? I hope Nix and Gailey don't fall for the hype. Go defense.

Yeah, I was a little confusing on that, but you got it about right: I'm not crazy about 3rd because it's like have pick of the litter when we actually need the whole litter. Strange as it sounds, at least if we were in our traditional 9 spot (or 8 or 7 or 6...) it'd be a little clearer who the best player available is at a position of need. At 3, you could argue four or five are best players available, and that there are 8-10 darn good players who fill a position of need. So, trade down? Sure, sounds obvious, but we all no finding a dance partner isn't as easy as it sounds. And we don't even know if Buddy and Chan would even consider it.

How's that...clear as mud? ;)

Spot on assessment of Fitz. His quick release (indeed, refreshing) and decision-making/leadership (ditto) and confidence are all great. It's like he's got the best of Trent (release) and JP (confidence). Now if only he had the arm of Kelly and the accuracy of...I dunno, whoever we know that was accurate.

Of course, he had the beard, too. I think we could get a 3rd rounder for the beard.

But again...is he worth it at #3? Are we patient enough to let him develop under Fitz? Or will he win the starting job? Are we willing to accept modest defensive upgrades in rounds 2-7, instead of a potential stud in round 1?

For once, that #9 overall pick we're used to from recent years sounds like the better position.

Good post. Anybody can be a superstar, but more are busts. Can we afford Gabbert being the latter knowing Fitz can get us decent production?