When Pols & Unions Sleep Together This is the

City workers were entitled to annual wage increases at four times the inflation rate

What...the...!@#$...? :blink:

Still...gotta give the city government a large share of the blame in this case. That's a pretty outlandish demand to cave to.

What...the...!@#$...? :blink:

Still...gotta give the city government a large share of the blame in this case. That's a pretty outlandish demand to cave to.

You're right. This kind of crap is what happens when you have two parties that can help each other negotiating with other peoples money. The unions get outlandish benefits and the politicians get the votes......................and the taxpayer gets screwed.

Screw those unions they have all of the benefits we wish we had!!! HAHAHAHA!!

Sounds like sour grapes. I will admit that is ridiculous. I think I would be able to max out at 4 weeks vacation after 15 years or so of service.

The private sector WOULD have all those benefits if, say, we were forced to have dues deducted from our payrolls by the state government, then given to a group of people who turn around and give it back to he government in exchange for the government providing lavish benefits the state can't afford.

Helluva scheme going on there. Helluva scheme.

Sounds like sour grapes. I will admit that is ridiculous. I think I would be able to max out at 4 weeks vacation after 15 years or so of service.

Yeah... I only get 7.8 weeks sick and vacation a year after 20... I also have to kick into my health and fund my retirement too! Also, the wife's IMRF (Illinois Municipal Retirement Fund) pension is NOT funded by taxpayers... Bummer!

IMRF

"...There are 93,298 other Illinois municipal workers who do receive pensions from IMRF. An average IMRF member retiring in 2009 had 20 years of service and receives a monthly benefit of $1,248. Importantly, there are another 181,380 municipal employees who perform valuable services for towns and villages across the state.

Individually managed 401(k) programs were never meant to be the sole source of an individual's retirement fund, are flawed and are much more expensive than defined benefit pensions. In fact, IMRF's total annual administrative cost to run our 2,900-plus funds is approximately one-third of one percent of assets. That's substantially less than what you are charged by most no-load index funds in your 401(k)..."

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Yeah... I only get 7.8 weeks sick and vacation a year after 20... I also have to kick into my health and fund my retirement too! Also, the wife's IMRF (Illinois Municipal Retirement Fund) pension is NOT funded by taxpayers... Bummer!

Did you really say only?? :wallbash:

and one paid birthday.

Get the !@#$ out of here.

Did you really say only?? :wallbash:

Get the !@#$ out of here.

:lol: Of course I was being sarcastic... It is pretty generous... Where do you think I am a lot of the time? Yet, considering what I would make in private industry as an operating engineer, I am way underpaid when it comes to hourly wage.

Yeah... 208 hours annual... Can't have more than 240 carried over to the next leave year... And 104 sick leave a year that can be carried over... I got almost 1,800 hours of that on the books. 2080 is a working year.

I work in an "open" shop... You don't have to kick into the union with dues if you choose. If you choose to pay dues, 60% of your first hour's wage are the union dues for the pay period (every two weeks).

People didn't want these jobs 20 years ago... Whent he "big bucks" were to be had. Now they are all clamoring for them.

Oh... Chef, where did you get the "paid birthday" from? I don't get that.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

I just checked the calendar. My birthday this year (my 50th) is on a Wednesday and Wednesday's are my long day. So I'll be here for 12-14 hours. Big deal.

You have your own business so you obviously have a say in how many hours you work and obviously there is a trade off in terms of profit sharing vs vacation time.

As a general rule or just a few of the old timers? Does that have something to do with radiation exposure limits?

Just the senior docs get that much. It doesn't take long in some practices to get 13 or more though. With radiologists in the US, it doesn't have anything to do with exposure as far as I know, because they don't get exposed to very much radiation at all. They generally just read the resulting images once they're captured, usually in a dark room with huge computer monitors. They rarely even see patients anymore. The peons (techs) do have hard-and-fast exposure limits and their schedule rotations are built around that fact. Most of the time, techs also wear radiation badges, which turn black as they're exposed to more and more radiation.

Edited by Gene Frenkle

You're right. This kind of crap is what happens when you have two parties that can help each other negotiating with other peoples money. The unions get outlandish benefits and the politicians get the votes......................and the taxpayer gets screwed.

This is what happens when you have people negotiating with other people's money. Fact is the so-called 'management' side in gov't doesn't give a damn how much money they give away because a) it's not their money and b) they are not held in any way accountable to how they spending it or rewarded for spending it intelligently.

Thus you have union scumbags threatening to vote them out of their cushy job at the next election if they don't give the union everything it wants.

As a general rule or just a few of the old timers? Does that have something to do with radiation exposure limits?

Just the senior docs get that much. It doesn't take long in some practices to get 13 or more though. With radiologists in the US, it doesn't have anything to do with exposure as far as I know, because they don't get exposed to very much radiation at all. They generally just read the resulting images once they're captured, usually in a dark room with huge computer monitors. They rarely even see patients anymore. The peons (techs) do have hard-and-fast exposure limits and their schedule rotations are built around that fact. Most of the time, techs also wear radiation badges, which turn black as they're exposed to more and more radiation.

If you don't care about the (lost) money and have someone willing to work, you can "sell" your work weeks.