What are the Odds that the Bills

flomoe

I know that there needs to be a new CBA in place before anyone even thinks about Free Agency this year but I am wondering what the chances would be for the Bills to actually be a major player in Free Agency this year.

I'm not thinking that they go after 4 or 5 guys but what if they went after the top prize this year...Asoumagha?

I know it's a pipe dream but since they were relatively quiet last year, would, or could they actually get off the wallet and pony up for him?

I know it's going to take a pretty good size signing bonus but the thought of him on our D with the possibility of us going D for the first couple of rounds is an exciting prospect.

A trade down scenario and grabbing multiple front 7 players with the knowledge that you have upgraded an already pretty fair secondary is very exciting.

The season ticket sales would probably go back up into the high 50,000 range and merchandise sales could go through the roof.

I know it's a pipe dream but there are so many positives to come out of this that it would be a pretty good investment overall.

Now we just need Ralph to leave the wallet on the table and have that mischievious kid Buddy to go in and grab a few bucks out of it.

A better question to ask is, will there be a FA period this year. There's a strong possibility that there will be none. Zero. Zippo. Nada.

I believe that once the CBA gets done (which it will), there will have to be a FA period of some sort. Even if it is very short, like 7-14 days. What else are they going to do with players who have expired contracts?

The issue will most likely be that the FA period will be so short, we'll have to concentrate on just getting our own guys signed (Poz, Whitner, Wilson, etc) and wont be able to go hard at some available players.

That being said, I doubt the Bills would do much in FA this year anyways. We're still in "build through the draft" mode. Maybe next year, after Nix has 2 full drafts of getting his guys and with a full FA period, then the Bills will go after 1 or 2 "missing pieces". Or it may even be after a 3rd year. Just my opinion.

A better question to ask is, will there be a FA period this year. There's a strong possibility that there will be none. Zero. Zippo. Nada.

No way the layers will ever settle for no FA period. They'd have to go back to their original teams and wait until next year. There is 0 chance current FAs will give up their FA status and chance to cash in for another year, and then you'd face a 2012 with an extremely diluted pool of FAs (since the 2011 and 2012 FAs would all hit in the same year)

I believe that once the CBA gets done (which it will), there will have to be a FA period of some sort. Even if it is very short, like 7-14 days. What else are they going to do with players who have expired contracts?

The issue will most likely be that the FA period will be so short, we'll have to concentrate on just getting our own guys signed (Poz, Whitner, Wilson, etc) and wont be able to go hard at some available players.

That being said, I doubt the Bills would do much in FA this year anyways. We're still in "build through the draft" mode. Maybe next year, after Nix has 2 full drafts of getting his guys and with a full FA period, then the Bills will go after 1 or 2 "missing pieces". Or it may even be after a 3rd year. Just my opinion.

DrD, have you been sitting in on FO meetings at One Bills Dr.? I think you're spot on here. Yea we're all just playing hunches on this post, but from what I've gathered from reading about & listening to Nix the past year plus, this sounds precisely where his head is at (aka, "the plan") for the team. Yes, the CBA is going to influence a lot of things, but I think what you've posted is going to be REAL ClOSE to what follows suit. I guess we'll see. Nevertheless, good prediction Dr.

The Bills are a bad team, play in a small market and aren't the biggest spenders (though not the lowest either)... there is no way that we will be big in the FA market. We have to build through successful drafts, and THEN when we get better we can attract better FA's.