Why is this anti-gay Leviticus tattoo extra absurd?

Booster4324

I'm Catholic but I've never really understood how people decide which prohibitions are to be taken seriously. I believe Leviticus prohibits things like eating shellfish and pork and even wearing certain colors. Why are some taboos taken so seriously and some are seemingly ignored?

I'm Catholic but I've never really understood how people decide which prohibitions are to be taken seriously. I believe Leviticus prohibits things like eating shellfish and pork and even wearing certain colors. Why are some taboos taken so seriously and some are seemingly ignored?

Leviticus is the ancient Jewish code of laws. How "Jewish" you are determines how seriously you take them.

Contemporarily, most of them also made a lot of sense. Shellfish and pork, for example, are two foods that can easily make you very, very ill if you're not careful...which it's safe to say they weren't 5000 years ago ('cause it's not like they had refrigerators). More than a few old cultures had those sorts of "laws" (Mongol injunctions against marmots - which are plague carriers - springs to mind).

Leviticus is the ancient Jewish code of laws. How "Jewish" you are determines how seriously you take them.

Contemporarily, most of them also made a lot of sense. Shellfish and pork, for example, are two foods that can easily make you very, very ill if you're not careful...which it's safe to say they weren't 5000 years ago ('cause it's not like they had refrigerators). More than a few old cultures had those sorts of "laws" (Mongol injunctions against marmots - which are plague carriers - springs to mind).

And look at us now, eating marmots like they're going out of style.

cause pigs are delish, and two dudes kissing is gross. keep up.

just like two hot chicks are simply not included in leviticus cause thats just plain fun.

And look at us now, eating marmots like they're going out of style.

Hey, marmot is the fruit of the steppe. You can barbecue it, boil it, broil it, bake it, sauté it. There's marmot kabobs, marmot creole, marmot gumbo, pan fried marmot, deep fried marmot, stir fried marmot. There's pineapple marmot and lemon marmot, coconut marmot, pepper marmot, marmot soup, marmot stew, marmot salad, marmot in potatoes, marmot burger, marmot sandwich...

28.Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I am the LORD.

That's from the King James Version. I am a Christian and I personally feel convicted as to not get a tattoo. That's me. I've seen pastors that are tatted from one arm to the other. I don't agree with it, but they have to answer for themselves.

28.Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I am the LORD.

That's from the King James Version. I am a Christian and I personally feel convicted as to not get a tattoo. That's me. I've seen pastors that are tatted from one arm to the other. I don't agree with it, but they have to answer for themselves.

Depends what you believe. Personally, I think the Law as outlined in Leviticus doesn't apply to Christians as the blood sacrifice of Christ rendered it moot. The line on the law in the Church I attend is that it was created to show us that no matter what we do, we'll never be able to attain God's standard on our own.

Hey, marmot is the fruit of the steppe. You can barbecue it, boil it, broil it, bake it, sauté it. There's marmot kabobs, marmot creole, marmot gumbo, pan fried marmot, deep fried marmot, stir fried marmot. There's pineapple marmot and lemon marmot, coconut marmot, pepper marmot, marmot soup, marmot stew, marmot salad, marmot in potatoes, marmot burger, marmot sandwich...

How well does it go with lentils? Or, is that taboo?

Depends what you believe. Personally, I think the Law as outlined in Leviticus doesn't apply to Christians as the blood sacrifice of Christ rendered it moot. The line on the law in the Church I attend is that it was created to show us that no matter what we do, we'll never be able to attain God's standard on our own.

I understand your point as well, but it's just my personal conviction. Christ was nailed to the cross and takes our place in the sin aspect, but it also says that we were bought and paid for by that price. Basically, we are not our own. Even with the Leviticus scripture I've heard some say it was pertaining to marking your body for the reverence of the dead, like an r.i.p. tat or something. I've also heard people try to use the Revelation scripture that says Christ has our names written on His thigh or something along those lines and clain that "Christ has a tattoo so we can too." Funny stuff, but their rationale.

I understand your point as well, but it's just my personal conviction. Christ was nailed to the cross and takes our place in the sin aspect, but it also says that we were bought and paid for by that price. Basically, we are not our own. Even with the Leviticus scripture I've heard some say it was pertaining to marking your body for the reverence of the dead, like an r.i.p. tat or something. I've also heard people try to use the Revelation scripture that says Christ has our names written on His thigh or something along those lines and clain that "Christ has a tattoo so we can too." Funny stuff, but their rationale.

Never heard that last one, either. And I've probably read Revelation about 100000 times :lol:

So does that mean you also abide by the prohibitions on eating shellfish and pork?

Yep. It's less religious than it is self-preservation. Although I once asked a Jewish podiatry couple why there was a need for Kosher rules/kitchen, and they responded "segregation."

I can't wait for the Bubba Gump marmot company.

Never heard that last one, either. And I've probably read Revelation about 100000 times :lol:

What? Who can read that babble?

OK. so the OT is stuff you don't have to believe. What parts of the NT are you supposed to believe? Just the gospels, which are Jesus-focused, or the letters, which are just a bunch of lectures from individual men who are not Jesus? I don't remember covering that point in McQuaid Jesuit Theology class.

I suspect it had more to do with shellfish poisoning [quite common- clam beaches are often shut down because of it] and in the case of pork, trichinosis. None of which refrigeration would help.

Edited by Jim in Anchorage

What? Who can read that babble?

OK. so the OT is stuff you don't have to believe. What parts of the NT are you supposed to believe? Just the gospels, which are Jesus-focused, or the letters, which are just a bunch of lectures from individual men who are not Jesus? I don't remember covering that point in McQuaid Jesuit Theology class.

I try to follow what Jesus said when asked by the Pharisees what the greatest Law was, “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.,This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself. All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”

When did he say you don't have to believe it? He said that law no longer applies because Jesus fulfilled God's covenant with Israel. Slight difference.

When did he say you don't have to believe it? He said that law no longer applies because Jesus fulfilled God's covenant with Israel. Slight difference.

He said the OT was moot. Moot. Doesn't apply. Slight difference is exactly right.

I try to follow what Jesus said when asked by the Pharisees what the greatest Law was, “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.,This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself. All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”

Yeah. That doesn't answer the question though. The letters lecture far afield from those. .

Edited by Peace

I shoot marmots all the time with my .223 Winchester super short mag. Unfortunately it vaporizes them so I cannot pass on cooking tips. :thumbsup:

I used to bullseye marmots in my T-16 back home, they're not much bigger than two meters.

p.s. anyone else think a guy getting a tattoo quoting anti-gay scripture doth protest just a wee bit too much?

Now that doesn't make sense either. The laws say no to homosexuality, but then tell you to go jerk your neighbor off?

He said the OT was moot. Moot. Doesn't apply. Slight difference is exactly right.

Want to try that again?

And Booster: yes, I was being nice.

You know, I looked at this again...

Thou shall not lie with a male as one does with a woman. It is an abomination.

...and I realized we're thinking about this all wrong. Obviously, it's ok to LIE (tell untruths) to a woman. But when you're out drinking, only a douchebag would treat his friends like that. Because, I mean, those are your bros. Bros before ho's. That's what God was telling us.

Edited by gringo starr

You know, I looked at this again...

...and I realized we're thinking about this all wrong. Obviously, it's ok to LIE (tell untruths) to a woman. But when you're out drinking, only a douchebag would treat his friends like that. Because, I mean, those are your bros. Bros before ho's. That's what God was telling us.

BRILLIANT!! :lol:

Edited by DrDankenstein

Want to try that again?

And Booster: yes, I was being nice.

So it's only Leviticus that is moot. San Diego says you can chuck the entire OT. I am just asking you guys because it all seems a bit confusing.

And I'll ask again. What about the letters?

So it's only Leviticus that is moot. San Diego says you can chuck the entire OT. I am just asking you guys because it all seems a bit confusing.

And I'll ask again. What about the letters?

:lol: Saw that. San Diego might as well chuck his entire faith, then, because Jesus is nothing in Christianity without the prophecies he supposedly fulfilled (which are made in the Old Testament).

:lol: Saw that. San Diego might as well chuck his entire faith, then, because Jesus is nothing in Christianity without the prophecies he supposedly fulfilled (which are made in the Old Testament).

On the other hand, when your relgiion practices ritual symbolic cannibalism, you can probably safely chuck the proscriptions against eating pork...

I have chucked my entire christian faith sort of. There are too many contradictions and mistakes to take the bible literally. I believe Jesus was a prophet as was Buddha and maybe Mohammed. I believe most religions have been warped by humans for selfish reasons. I believe we are all children of God and have been sent to earth to learn lessons and improve our spirit to become enlightened people. We may have to revisit earth many times to learn these lessons. All of the great teachers were enlightened and here to help us all become better people.

So does that mean you also abide by the prohibitions on eating shellfish and pork?

I'm not a seafood person at all, but I do love some barbecue and bacon. :D As far as trying to fulfill the law goes? I know I cannot. All have sinned and fallen short. Only Christ walked this earth never committing a wrong and it is through Him that I am made righteous before God. Do I try to live out? Yes, because He has placed a desire to walk righteously before Him in my heart, but I will be the first one to tell you that I'm not perfect in the slightest nor will I ever be. The tattoo thing is my personal conviction. I just know that I'm not supposed to ever get one. When you feel that way and know it within your own heart it will lead you to question why others feel it's alright. But at the same time, it has no relevance to my standing with God so I don't worry about it one way or another. I also believe it may have something to do with a difference in the calling upon our lives.

I have chucked my entire christian faith sort of. There are too many contradictions and mistakes to take the bible literally. I believe Jesus was a prophet as was Buddha and maybe Mohammed. I believe most religions have been warped by humans for selfish reasons. I believe we are all children of God and have been sent to earth to learn lessons and improve our spirit to become enlightened people. We may have to revisit earth many times to learn these lessons. All of the great teachers were enlightened and here to help us all become better people.

I would like to humbly ask what you find contradicting or what you would deem as a mistake in the Bible my friend? Maybe I have struggled with some of the same problems at some point through my walk and can help. I do agree though that some people try to twist Christianity for dishonest gain and that there are wolves amongst the sheep that exploit the people at every turn.

I would like to humbly ask what you find contradicting or what you would deem as a mistake in the Bible my friend? Maybe I have struggled with some of the same problems at some point through my walk and can help. I do agree though that some people try to twist Christianity for dishonest gain and that there are wolves amongst the sheep that exploit the people at every turn.

Hello Brother

Chapter Four of Genesis describes Adam and Eve's son, Cain, killing his brother Abel. He then leaves and marries his wife from the 'Land of Nod' east of Eden. Whoa, stop the presses, we have went from Adam and Eve being the only humans on earth, their two sons, and now a city in the land of Nod? Ooops, a huge oversight ? Noooo! Sorry, myth busted, a big lie if I have ever heard one.

Now, the earth created in seven days, or seven thousand years? Come on, science has proved it has taken billions of years to create our earth, as we know it today.

What science, creationist's and evolutionist's have not considered is that maybe God helped evolution along at critical times, when nature stalled out and needed a helping hand. By seeding the earth with DNA to helping evolution along when it was just a primordial ooze.

I would like to think, this is the case. There is a God, just not as we perceive him thru traditional jaded religious eyes. He is there if we want to embrace God as our father and provider.

Hello Brother

Chapter Four of Genesis describes Adam and Eve's son, Cain, killing his brother Abel. He then leaves and marries his wife from the 'Land of Nod' east of Eden. Whoa, stop the presses, we have went from Adam and Eve being the only humans on earth, their two sons, and now a city in the land of Nod? Ooops, a huge oversight ? Noooo! Sorry, myth busted, a big lie if I have ever heard one.

Now, the earth created in seven days, or seven thousand years? Come on, science has proved it has taken billions of years to create our earth, as we know it today.

What science, creationist's and evolutionist's have not considered is that maybe God helped evolution along at critical times, when nature stalled out and needed a helping hand. By seeding the earth with DNA to helping evolution along when it was just a primordial ooze.

I would like to think, this is the case. There is a God, just not as we perceive him thru traditional jaded religious eyes. He is there if we want to embrace God as our father and provider.

I see what you are saying and how that could be a hang-up or something that could throw people off. There is no telling the amount of time between these events and there is no telling how many children were bore by Eve before the fall. My belief is that the story of Cain and Abel is chronicled because of the circumstances that arose and they were also the first two children bore by Eve after the fall of man. They were the first two also that were bore out of the pain of labor. Also, the chronicles of the Old Testament are showing all a trail of the bloodline to Christ and not every person who lived owns a place within it's pages. Cain was of that lineage. I think it all comes down to whether you believe that the Bible is God's Word or you do not. I do not trust is the wisdom of men nor do I believe all of the scientific reports that I hear from them. There are scientists who have set out to debunk the Bible, but have ended standing along side of it. Maybe this helps, maybe it does not. Is there anything else you see in that light my friend?

I see what you are saying and how that could be a hang-up or something that could throw people off. There is no telling the amount of time between these events and there is no telling how many children were bore by Eve before the fall. My belief is that the story of Cain and Abel is chronicled because of the circumstances that arose and they were also the first two children bore by Eve after the fall of man. They were the first two also that were bore out of the pain of labor. Also, the chronicles of the Old Testament are showing all a trail of the bloodline to Christ and not every person who lived owns a place within it's pages. Cain was of that lineage. I think it all comes down to whether you believe that the Bible is God's Word or you do not. I do not trust is the wisdom of men nor do I believe all of the scientific reports that I hear from them. There are scientists who have set out to debunk the Bible, but have ended standing along side of it. Maybe this helps, maybe it does not. Is there anything else you see in that light my friend?

You say you do not trust the wisdom of men, yet you trust the wisdom of men 2,000 years ago to themselves pick and choose what books belong in the Bible, while rejecting ones that they (men) didn't feel fit?