Why is this anti-gay Leviticus tattoo extra absurd?

Booster4324

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm Catholic but I've never really understood how people decide which prohibitions are to be taken seriously. I believe Leviticus prohibits things like eating shellfish and pork and even wearing certain colors. Why are some taboos taken so seriously and some are seemingly ignored?

I'm Catholic but I've never really understood how people decide which prohibitions are to be taken seriously. I believe Leviticus prohibits things like eating shellfish and pork and even wearing certain colors. Why are some taboos taken so seriously and some are seemingly ignored?

Leviticus is the ancient Jewish code of laws. How "Jewish" you are determines how seriously you take them.

Contemporarily, most of them also made a lot of sense. Shellfish and pork, for example, are two foods that can easily make you very, very ill if you're not careful...which it's safe to say they weren't 5000 years ago ('cause it's not like they had refrigerators). More than a few old cultures had those sorts of "laws" (Mongol injunctions against marmots - which are plague carriers - springs to mind).

Leviticus is the ancient Jewish code of laws. How "Jewish" you are determines how seriously you take them.

Contemporarily, most of them also made a lot of sense. Shellfish and pork, for example, are two foods that can easily make you very, very ill if you're not careful...which it's safe to say they weren't 5000 years ago ('cause it's not like they had refrigerators). More than a few old cultures had those sorts of "laws" (Mongol injunctions against marmots - which are plague carriers - springs to mind).

And look at us now, eating marmots like they're going out of style.

cause pigs are delish, and two dudes kissing is gross. keep up.

just like two hot chicks are simply not included in leviticus cause thats just plain fun.

And look at us now, eating marmots like they're going out of style.

Hey, marmot is the fruit of the steppe. You can barbecue it, boil it, broil it, bake it, sauté it. There's marmot kabobs, marmot creole, marmot gumbo, pan fried marmot, deep fried marmot, stir fried marmot. There's pineapple marmot and lemon marmot, coconut marmot, pepper marmot, marmot soup, marmot stew, marmot salad, marmot in potatoes, marmot burger, marmot sandwich...

28.Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I am the LORD.

That's from the King James Version. I am a Christian and I personally feel convicted as to not get a tattoo. That's me. I've seen pastors that are tatted from one arm to the other. I don't agree with it, but they have to answer for themselves.

28.Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I am the LORD.

That's from the King James Version. I am a Christian and I personally feel convicted as to not get a tattoo. That's me. I've seen pastors that are tatted from one arm to the other. I don't agree with it, but they have to answer for themselves.

Depends what you believe. Personally, I think the Law as outlined in Leviticus doesn't apply to Christians as the blood sacrifice of Christ rendered it moot. The line on the law in the Church I attend is that it was created to show us that no matter what we do, we'll never be able to attain God's standard on our own.

Hey, marmot is the fruit of the steppe. You can barbecue it, boil it, broil it, bake it, sauté it. There's marmot kabobs, marmot creole, marmot gumbo, pan fried marmot, deep fried marmot, stir fried marmot. There's pineapple marmot and lemon marmot, coconut marmot, pepper marmot, marmot soup, marmot stew, marmot salad, marmot in potatoes, marmot burger, marmot sandwich...

How well does it go with lentils? Or, is that taboo?

Depends what you believe. Personally, I think the Law as outlined in Leviticus doesn't apply to Christians as the blood sacrifice of Christ rendered it moot. The line on the law in the Church I attend is that it was created to show us that no matter what we do, we'll never be able to attain God's standard on our own.

I understand your point as well, but it's just my personal conviction. Christ was nailed to the cross and takes our place in the sin aspect, but it also says that we were bought and paid for by that price. Basically, we are not our own. Even with the Leviticus scripture I've heard some say it was pertaining to marking your body for the reverence of the dead, like an r.i.p. tat or something. I've also heard people try to use the Revelation scripture that says Christ has our names written on His thigh or something along those lines and clain that "Christ has a tattoo so we can too." Funny stuff, but their rationale.

I understand your point as well, but it's just my personal conviction. Christ was nailed to the cross and takes our place in the sin aspect, but it also says that we were bought and paid for by that price. Basically, we are not our own. Even with the Leviticus scripture I've heard some say it was pertaining to marking your body for the reverence of the dead, like an r.i.p. tat or something. I've also heard people try to use the Revelation scripture that says Christ has our names written on His thigh or something along those lines and clain that "Christ has a tattoo so we can too." Funny stuff, but their rationale.

Never heard that last one, either. And I've probably read Revelation about 100000 times :lol:

So does that mean you also abide by the prohibitions on eating shellfish and pork?

Yep. It's less religious than it is self-preservation. Although I once asked a Jewish podiatry couple why there was a need for Kosher rules/kitchen, and they responded "segregation."

I can't wait for the Bubba Gump marmot company.

Never heard that last one, either. And I've probably read Revelation about 100000 times :lol:

What? Who can read that babble?

OK. so the OT is stuff you don't have to believe. What parts of the NT are you supposed to believe? Just the gospels, which are Jesus-focused, or the letters, which are just a bunch of lectures from individual men who are not Jesus? I don't remember covering that point in McQuaid Jesuit Theology class.

I suspect it had more to do with shellfish poisoning [quite common- clam beaches are often shut down because of it] and in the case of pork, trichinosis. None of which refrigeration would help.

Edited by Jim in Anchorage

What? Who can read that babble?

OK. so the OT is stuff you don't have to believe. What parts of the NT are you supposed to believe? Just the gospels, which are Jesus-focused, or the letters, which are just a bunch of lectures from individual men who are not Jesus? I don't remember covering that point in McQuaid Jesuit Theology class.

I try to follow what Jesus said when asked by the Pharisees what the greatest Law was, “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.,This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself. All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”

When did he say you don't have to believe it? He said that law no longer applies because Jesus fulfilled God's covenant with Israel. Slight difference.