NFL and NFLPA agree to enter mediation

JoeF

I heard you were a wedgie man.......

Here's Florio's take at Pro Football Talk....on some subjects I think he is FOS but he is a lawyer (which confirms in some minds, not mine, that he is FOS)...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/02/17/league-union-agree-to-federal-mediation/

I think some of you are confusing mediation with arbitration. The former is merely a meeting between two sides, moderated by a "mediator" (go figure) who tries to get the two sides to come to an agreement. If the parties agree, then of course the agreement becomes binding, just like any settlement agreement.

Arbitration is a "mini-trial" of sorts, with a panel of usually one or three "judges" who hear both sides and issue a decision. Arbitration may be either binding or non-binding.

In any event, if these parties go to mediation it will hopefully be an eye-opener and get them closer to resolution.

I think some of you are confusing mediation with arbitration. The former is merely a meeting between two sides, moderated by a "mediator" (go figure) who tries to get the two sides to come to an agreement. If the parties agree, then of course the agreement becomes binding, just like any settlement agreement.

Arbitration is a "mini-trial" of sorts, with a panel of usually one or three "judges" who hear both sides and issue a decision. Arbitration may be either binding or non-binding.

In any event, if these parties go to mediation it will hopefully be an eye-opener and get them closer to resolution.

give the job to Kate Reed on Fairly Legal.....she's a great mediator and smokin hot too. (former Dallas Cowboy Cheerleader covergirl)

Edited by papazoid

Maybe there is hope...no word on if this is binding...meaning that the sides agree to live with the finding of the mediator...that's more arbitration I guess....

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6132690

If nothing else it will put them in the proper, peaceful state of mind. :oops: Now I get it---mediate. In all seriousness it allows each side to talk privately with the mediator and he can soften some of the rhetoric and feel each side out regarding what is really important to them. He can then look for common ground. It can be difficult for a bunch of negotiators on each side to converse and determine each sides limits without causing some unnecessary strife. Mediation, in the right person's hands, can be very helpful.

I'm quite surprised and encouraged that the owners agreed to this. Regardless of the fact the mediator has no real power. What will be very interesting is how public they make the ultimate findings of the mediator. This is a very good step at heading off a really long and painful impasse.

Why so surprised? The owners have been very publicly stating that they want this resolved as soon as possible, whereas the union has been filing money losing lawsuits, threatening decertification and trotting out potentially unemployed Pittsburgh beer vendors as part of their effort to win the hearts and minds of fans.

This is a great idea, I think.

Per Schefter on his twitter...

Don't mean to be wet blanket, but here's what someone in know said about Fed Mediator stepping in to help NFL/NFLPA: "Likely won't help."

This to me, at this point, is just posturing on both sides. At this point it is clear to see that neither side wants to work nothing out and they're too busy throwing mud. The NFLPA is out of their mind and the owners screwed up so bad last time that they are fools to think it can be fixed now. The train is off the rails - the NFL will live on, but at what price will the fans suffer?

And to those who think $1billion isn't much, tell that to Turkey, who's entire GDP is not even at $1Billion annually.

Edited by jboyst62

Why so surprised? The owners have been very publicly stating that they want this resolved as soon as possible, whereas the union has been filing money losing lawsuits, threatening decertification and trotting out potentially unemployed Pittsburgh beer vendors as part of their effort to win the hearts and minds of fans.

Who cares what the owners publicly state? What have they done that leads you to believe they are doing any more than the NFLPA to get things done? Didn't they walk away from a session last week? It's good that BOTH sides agreed to mediation.

Per Schefter on his twitter...

This to me, at this point, is just posturing on both sides. At this point it is clear to see that neither side wants to work nothing out and they're too busy throwing mud. The NFLPA is out of their mind and the owners screwed up so bad last time that they are fools to think it can be fixed now. The train is off the rails - the NFL will live on, but at what price will the fans suffer?

And to those who think $1billion isn't much, tell that to Turkey, who's entire GDP is not even at $1Billion annually.

Try 729 Billion. But what's a mere 728 Billion in the larger scheme of things.

Try 729 Billion. But what's a mere 728 Billion in the larger scheme of things.

source?

I went to one of those US report sites or something to find the largest economy below $1 billion. It did sound odd to me, but that's what it had said.

EDIT: Actually, I misread the grid. It was based in millions. So Turkey's GDP was listed at nearly 729,000,000,000. Which is billion, not million.

Edited by jboyst62

The owners are using their pull with the networks to silence any sort of ads the Players can run. The media outlets are falling in line with the owners as well because that's where their bread is buttered.

The mediation is nothing but PR for the owners. But good spin.