New turf in The Ralph

Beerball

So in your opinion the county wasn't responsible for the installation in '03?

No, they paid for the installation I am not debating that but it was the Bill's call(Donahoe's) which turf they used. They had to be different then everybody else. Money nothing to do with the decision.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:thumbsup:

Exactly.

<rant on>

I'm not a taxpayer in Erie County, but I gotta say that it seems totally wrong for them to have to foot the bill for this.

I may be living on the other side of the planet but I'm assuming that Erie County doesn't have a lot of money to burn. Aren't local governments and businesses struggling with budget cuts back there?

Yet, the average schlep has to foot the bill for these millionaires, billionaires and multi-billion corporations?

That ain't right.

<rant off>

Make the 9 Billion dollar a year NFL pay for the new freaking turf.

:thumbsup:

Exactly.

<rant on>

I'm not a taxpayer in Erie County, but I gotta say that it seems totally wrong for them to have to foot the bill for this.

I may be living on the other side of the planet but I'm assuming that Erie County doesn't have a lot of money to burn. Aren't local governments and businesses struggling with budget cuts back there?

Yet, the average schlep has to foot the bill for these millionaires, billionaires and multi-billion corporations?

That ain't right.

<rant off>

The current contract between the Bills and Erie County calls for Erie County/tax payers to implement 3 million dollars of improvements into the Stadium every year.

Say what you want about Mr. Wilson, but he took the county legislators to school with that contract.

How so? The stadium is owned by the county. Moreover, it beats demanding $350M from the taxpayers for a new stadium with higher prices that no one could afford.

According to the link on the main TBD page, they are only replacing the artificial turf surface, not anything wrt the sub-surfaces.

It also says that 8 years was the natural life of the AstroPlay.

Has there been any word on what the "natural life" of Field Turf is? Doing some quick searching, the field in the Rogers Dome was redone in 2002 and it's reported that it will be replaced next year, two years ahead of the normal schedule. Of course, that's under use for 80 baseball games and more events.

But, as such, 8 years for the AstroPlay surface in RWS wouldn't be a significant difference.

Edited by UConn James

According to the link on the main TBD page, they are only replacing the artificial turf surface, not anything wrt the sub-surfaces.

Has there been any word on what the "natural life" of Field Turf is? Doing some quick searching, the field in the Rogers Dome was redone in 2002 and it's reported that it will be replaced next year, two years ahead of the normal schedule. Of course, that's under use for 80 baseball games and more events.

But, as such, 8 years for the AstroPlay surface in RWS wouldn't be a significant difference.

my feeling is that if they werent replacing the turf, i would be concerned .keep upgrading, improving, i have no problem. the stadium is in a good location for tailgating, access, etc. it affords a great opportunity to experience a game. buffalo does not need the "bells and whistles" . give me the outdoors, crisp fall day, nothing better, snow, cold, that is football to me. if the "jerryworld"type of stadium is the new wave, i want no part of it.

Edited by dwight in philly

I think the two products are similar enough that there wouldn't be much difference in the product life.

Yes, there are more events in the Rogers Dome.

On the other hand, The Ralph is open to the elements…rain, snow, UV, etc. whereas the Rogers Dome is only open on nice days

Again going the cheap way out

with natural grass technology much more advanced, they should install a heated grass field similar to what Green Bay uses.

it would be a big incentive to free agents over the plastic / asphalt crap they are using

Edited by spartacus

Again going the cheap way out

with natural grass technology much more advanced, they should install a heated grass field similar to what Green Bay uses.

it would be a big incentive to free agents over the plastic / asphalt crap they are using

Actually, iirc, the underlayment is concrete, a sand/dirt mixture, a few inches of a rubber surface, the AstroPlay, and then they swept in small bits of pelletized rubber that you'd see spray up every so often in photos.

I just don't see how they could do natural grass in that weather and not be playing on bare dirt and mud in Nov.-Dec.-Jan. They've had to re-sod Lambeau (either totally or down the mid-field b/w the hash lines) every year. That costs through the wazoo --- $100K-$150K a pop. Over 8 years, you've got the initial cost plus repairs and maintenance with chemicals, equipment and labor, then add in that $1M for sodding. And at that, you'll never have consistent quality and will lose the ability to host other events (read: make $) b/c of turf conditions. Just not worth it.

Actually, iirc, the underlayment is concrete, a sand/dirt mixture, a few inches of a rubber surface, the AstroPlay, and then they swept in small bits of pelletized rubber that you'd see spray up every so often in photos.

I just don't see how they could do natural grass in that weather and not be playing on bare dirt and mud in Nov.-Dec.-Jan. They've had to re-sod Lambeau (either totally or down the mid-field b/w the hash lines) every year. That costs through the wazoo --- $100K-$150K a pop. Over 8 years, you've got the initial cost plus repairs and maintenance with chemicals, equipment and labor, then add in that $1M for sodding. And at that, you'll never have consistent quality and will lose the ability to host other events (read: make $) b/c of turf conditions. Just not worth it.

Heinz field uses the same stuff (Desso GrassMaster) and their field is always chewed-up.

That's what happens when you go with the lowest bidder. They're more likely to go out of business than the company that charges a decent price that includes a profit margin that keeps their business sustainable.

Again some FieldTurf rep said back in 1992 that he could have installed his stuff for the same, if not less, than AstroPlay. And AstroTurf is still in business.

Heinz field uses the same stuff (Desso GrassMaster) and their field is always chewed-up.

Again some FieldTurf rep said back in 1992 that he could have installed his stuff for the same, if not less, than AstroPlay. And AstroTurf is still in business.

They are now but AstroTurf did go out of business after the 2003 installation. They were resurrected…someone bought the brand name and products.

Does anyone have any statistics on how much money the County makes for a Bills home game? I'm thinking that 6-8 home games means a whole lot more than $3M!

I believe the Bills keep virtually all revenue.

The Bills have a sweetheart deal with the county. This is why we are able to pay such low ticket prices and keep the Bills in Buffalo…because even though ticket revenue is low (because of the low cost of the ticket), the cost to the team is very low also. The county assumes most of the expenses and the Bills reap most of the revenue.

Will they be cutting up the old turf and putting it up for sale like they did the last time they replaced the surface?

That turf was installed in 2003.

Almost nothing good every happened on that turf…they should burn it at a fan and player ceremony…and have it exorcised of the demons which have bedeviled our team since the Flutie Curse/Music City Miracle.

I would like to think positive about the announcement. Even though the Turf has officially lived its full life and must be replaced.

Looks like we are staying here for awhile and this is another chance to appear as if we are moving forward with our team.

And hopefully a fresh new positive outlook for us all.

San Jose i laughed but agree. Maybe we could mail some pieces off to some evil dictators somewhere. Lets see how they like the demon grass?