NEW MOCK DRAFT

BIllsNation

I suppose the Bills didn't get burned enough with Aaron Maybin, now you want to draft a player that didn't play a down all 2010 due to a suspension, guess that doesn't sound any alarm bells or send any red flags to you guys....

http://nwe.scout.com/2/1027958.html

Robert Quinn - North Carolina

Quinn could easily and probably will get drafted before Ryan Kerrigan, but without playing in 2010 due to some off-the-field issues, there certainly are some risks.

Granted, Quinn has physical talent to spare. That said, it remains to be seen whether he has progressed enough mentally on the football field to be able to transition to a very complicated 3-4 system.

"This [former] tarheel might be one of the biggest "boom or bust" guys to come out in a while"

Sam Bradford only played about a game and a half of football during his junior season. He certainly transitioned well to the NFL. Just sayin...

Oh yeah...and then there's Dez Bryant.

Edited by Johnny Hammersticks

As for the "we don't need DLine help we drafted troup/carrington"

I must say, would it be that bad to have more then one good player at the position? Heaven forbid one of those guys is hurt, or doesn't develop, or can't play 70 snaps a game? Would it really be that terrible if a DT is bpa to build the unit into a strength?

1. Robert Quinn DE/OLB UNC

2. Phil Taylor DT Baylor

3. Marvin Austin DT/DE UNC

4. Kelvin Sheppard ILB LSU

4. Rashad Carmichael CB VT

5. DeAndre Mcdaniel S Clemson

6. Lee Ziemba OG Auburn

7. Stanley Havili FB USC

fullback? those guys can be UDFAs even though I think way under utilized. Teams haven't run worth a s#!t in years since H-backs and TEs are used occasionally in the back field.

Sam Bradford only played about a game and a half of football during his junior season. He certainly transitioned well to the NFL. Just sayin...

Oh yeah...and then there's Dez Bryant.

apples and oranges... the story isn't over on both those two just yet tho.

How did Aaron Maybin make that transition from speedy DE to OLB? The Bills need players who can stop the run and not another one trick pony with one move

hes not going to be a bust he will be better than von miller and this draft has them taking a DT and DE in the next two rounds what would you prefer to have?

I'm not so sure the Bills will take a DL so high in the draft. They spent a 2nd and 3rd round pick last year on the DL. I think it's quite possible Nix & Co. may feel they addressed it last year. I think Miller, Quinn, or even Peterson is far more likely to be the pick at #3. Then I think they'll get their QB in round 2. Just my 2 cents.

apples and oranges... the story isn't over on both those two just yet tho.

How did Aaron Maybin make that transition from speedy DE to OLB? The Bills need players who can stop the run and not another one trick pony with one move

I really do not think it realistic comparing him to Maybin. This guy has the size every team is looking for along with the speed off the edge. Yeah it concerns me that he did not play last year but think of it this way it is one less year of wear & tear on his body. I am no UNC buff but the few times I did see him play he caught my eye. I have read is upside or ceiling maybe the highest of anybody in the draft & has also read he is NFL ready right now even with missing last year. I really the risk at picking him @ 3 is minimal all things consider. What I would love is trade down to the 7 or 8 spot, pick up an extra 2nd rounder & still get him. Not sure if he will still be there though.

Edited by Gordio

I suppose the Bills didn't get burned enough with Aaron Maybin, now you want to draft a player that didn't play a down all 2010 due to a suspension, guess that doesn't sound any alarm bells or send any red flags to you guys....

http://nwe.scout.com/2/1027958.html

Robert Quinn - North Carolina

Quinn could easily and probably will get drafted before Ryan Kerrigan, but without playing in 2010 due to some off-the-field issues, there certainly are some risks.

Granted, Quinn has physical talent to spare. That said, it remains to be seen whether he has progressed enough mentally on the football field to be able to transition to a very complicated 3-4 system.

"This [former] tarheel might be one of the biggest "boom or bust" guys to come out in a while"

Well judging from that last line of his scouting analysis that pretty much makes him a shoe-in for the Bills to pick him at 3. We like those guys that could be a potential big bust.

If Quinn tears it up at the combine, why wouldn't the Carolina Panthers seriously consider him at #1? It's not like Fairley doesn't have character/maturity concerns. I could see them taking a gamble on the huge boom or bust local kid.

#1Quinn-#2Peterson would be a dream come true for the Bills.

Would people be opposed to a trade down if that means we give up on Fairely and maybe get Cam Jordan between 8-12.

If Quinn tears it up at the combine, why wouldn't the Carolina Panthers seriously consider him at #1? It's not like Fairley doesn't have character/maturity concerns. I could see them taking a gamble on the huge boom or bust local kid.

That's not out of the realm of possibility with a great combine, but Fairley gives the Panthers a #1 at 2 positions (DT/DE) where their need is their P1 and P2, whereas Quinn is a OLB---Carolina's 6th most needed position.

Yea, but reaching for picks has not gone well with the bills the last 10 years. So no to Quinn.

How do you know this is a reach, especially this early in the process. Players "rise" and "fall"

right up to the draft with the combine still to come. That said, nobody outside of the

NFL front offices really knows who is a reach and who is a steal and THEY don't even

know.

I honestly still don't understand how anyone can put up a logical argument as to why we should draft Quinn at #3. Can someone who wants us to draft him, try and educate me?

Boom=Julius Peppers.

Wouldn't you like to have Julius Peppers on your team?

(Bust=Aundray Bruce)

I honestly still don't understand how anyone can put up a logical argument as to why we should draft Quinn at #3. Can someone who wants us to draft him, try and educate me?

I'll give it a shot...

Athleticism: No debate here. He is a freak of nature. Has perennial Pro Bowl talent and game-changing ability when viewed as a 3-4 Sam LB. Only played 4-3 DE in college but had no trouble dropping back in coverage during the few times he was called on to do so. Scouting combine results should verify his unreal speed/size combo and cement him as a consensus top 5 prospect.

Experience: Became a starter almost since day 1 on a very talented squad and had a great freshman year (finished 3rd in ACC DROY honors). But his outstanding sophomore year (finished 2nd in ACC DPOY honors) is what prompted all the "#1 overall" talk before the suspension. Unlike Maybin - who had only a few great games - Quinn was consistently excellent throughout the season. So is Quinn a 1-year wonder? Not any more than Fairley or Bowers. Since so many top draft prospects these days forego their senior year of college, it's not uncommon to have no more than 1 great year of film on these guys anyway.

Character: Won the 2008 ACC Piccolo Award for coming back to play football after having a benign brain tumor removed during his senior year of high school. Head Coach Butch Davis has testified to his incredibly strong work ethic and locker room presence. NFL interviews will determine how serious his permanent suspension was for accepting an agent's gifts. Certainly showed a lapse in judgment, but I've also noticed that a lot of top recruits have been suspended to various degrees (Green and Dareus off the top of my head) for similar transgressions. This is the only evidence of a character "red flag," so if anything the lack of an extra year of game film on him is the only real concern surrounding the suspension.

Bottom line: With the 3rd overall pick in the draft, you first look for the franchise QB, followed by either the franchise LT or the franchise pass rusher, before looking for any other positions (WR, CB, etc.). There are no franchise QB's or OT's in this draft, and in my opinion Quinn is clearly the best pass rusher from the 5 most suitable candidates (Fairley, Bowers, Dareus, Miller being the others). In all honesty, every single one of the other players mentioned as potential 3rd overall picks has their issues:

Fairley - Haynesworth-esque character concerns

Bowers - questionable work ethic, not having elite first step

Green - too skinny of a frame, not having elite speed

Peterson - struggles with super agile receivers, subpar run support

Miller - too small to transition to the NFL level

Dareus - not really elite in any facet of his game

Newton - too stupid to handle the QB position in the pros

Mallett - Bledsoe-esque in the pocket, character concerns

Gabbert - ridiculous first name

DRAFT ROBERT QUINN.

1. Robert Quinn DE/OLB UNC

2. Phil Taylor DT Baylor

3. Marvin Austin DT/DE UNC

4. Kelvin Sheppard ILB LSU

4. Rashad Carmichael CB VT

5. DeAndre Mcdaniel S Clemson

6. Lee Ziemba OG Auburn

7. Stanley Havili FB USC

I like 1 and 2, but no way Austin and Sheppard will get to us. If they did, defense would be top 10 within the next 2 years.