"Wannstedt Coached 'Em, and Against 'Em"

Astrobot

Some of Nix's most recent comments about the draft, and who fits that description IMHO:

"I liked the DE's at the Senior Bowl"---Cameron Jordan, DE/LB, California (probably best week); Ryan Kerrigan, DE, Purdue (beat Solder several times).

"We need a couple more" [DT's]----------Stephen Paea (injury and all if he drops to RD2), Phil Taylor from Baylor, DT Jarvis Jenkins, and Drake Nevis from LSU.

"Demeanor...Toughness"------------------DT Fairley, DT Jarvis Jenkins

"I feel good [about OLB's]; need ILB's--Casey Matthews, Kelvin Sheppard

"[Wannstedt] has coached, and coached against these guys":

--->Teams Wannstedt coached against, and the defensive players I like in their available round:

Oregon State---DT Stephen Paea (RD1)in 2008 Sun Bowl

Notre Dame--TE Kyle Rudolph (RD1)

Nebraska---CB Prince Amukamara (RD1)

Louisville---CB Johnny Patrick (RD2)

Utah---CB Brandon Burton (RD2)

Miami---DE Allen Bailey (RD2)

West Virginia---FS Robert Sands (RD3)

Rutgers---SS Joe Lefeged (RD6)

Connecticut---LB Lawrence Wilson (RD6)

Syracuse---OLB Doug Hogue (RD7)

Florida Int'l---CB Anthony Gaitor (RD7)

North Carolina State---OLB43 Nate Irving (RD4-5)

Pittsburgh player Wannstedt recruited: SS Dom DeCicco (RD4); Greg Romeus (RD4-5)

Some of Nix's most recent comments about the draft, and who fits that description IMHO:

"I liked the DE's at the Senior Bowl"---Cameron Jordan, DE/LB, California (probably best week); Ryan Kerrigan, DE, Purdue (beat Solder several times).

"We need a couple more" [DT's]----------Stephen Paea (injury and all if he drops to RD2), Phil Taylor from Baylor, DT Jarvis Jenkins, and Drake Nevis from LSU.

"Demeanor...Toughness"------------------DT Fairley, DT Jarvis Jenkins

"I feel good [about OLB's]; need ILB's--Casey Matthews, Kelvin Sheppard

"[Wannstedt] has coached, and coached against these guys":

--->Teams Wannstedt coached against, and the defensive players I like in their available round:

Pittsburgh player Wannstedt recruited: SS Dom DeCicco (RD4); Greg Romeus (RD4-5)

He must have recruited Jon Baldwin, who could go (RD1)

I wonder what the reaction would be if the Bills took Baldwin @34.

Only draft strategy the Bills need to know: d-lineman of any kind, and linebackers, pick one every round !!!! Only exception, if there is an impact OL after round one, but that would be a big "IF"

Edited by CSBill

:blink:

Maybe that means he is really convinced Merriman is going to to play (one heck of a risk), and they've settled on Moats (quite conceiveable).

Other than that it would be completely bizarre or a smoke screen - over the course of the year the OLB play was attrocious.

ILB comment might be a bit of hardball (or honest dissatisfaction, for that matter) with Poz. Even with Poz they needed another bigger guy in there, particularly when Davis was hurt.

Edited by BobChalmers

baldwin is what? 6'6'' 240? I'd be ok with that in rd 2 too.

That's a little generous according to this which says he's larger than Green 6'4" 212 and Julio Jones 6'4" 220. His 40 time is faster than theirs too. 4.48 to 4.49 (both Green and Jones).

I'm thinking Nix will go with Phil Taylor @34 though. Just a hunch.

Maybe that means he is really convinced Merriman is going to to play (one heck of a risk), and they've settled on Moats (quite conceiveable).

Other than that it would be completely bizarre or a smoke screen - over the course of the year the OLB play was attrocious.

ILB comment might be a bit of hardball (or honest dissatisfaction, for that matter) with Poz. Even with Poz they needed another bigger guy in there, particularly when Davis was hurt.

With Moats, we already have Von Miller on our team.

Yeah, I know. But that's what Nix said...

Linky

That's a little generous according to this which says he's larger than Green 6'4" 212 and Julio Jones 6'4" 220. His 40 time is faster than theirs too. 4.48 to 4.49 (both Green and Jones).

You could be right. Nix has said he's "looking for a couple more".

Linky

Watch at about 3:28

Yeah Baldwin is listed at 6'5" 230 with a frame like AJ80. I doubt he is there at 34 but if he fell I'd be on board.

I'm also A-OK with Phil the power Taylor.

He was a 4th round or later prospect until the Senior Bowl.

Even if it was Dareus & Taylor I'd like to see people try to push a DTW D-Line. Not gonna happen.

Carringtin and Troup will get PT in rotation, plus against the Pats and other heavy passing teams you have to be in a 4-6 a lot of the time especially on Passing downs (unless they know they'll get 200 yards rushing on you without trying) so it makes sense in the division to have atleast 4 solid downlineman even if you run a 3-4 base.

Edited by Why So Serious?

Way too many DBs on that list :(

He must have recruited Jon Baldwin, who could go (RD1)

I wonder what the reaction would be if the Bills took Baldwin @34.

I for one would be suprised. Word around here (pit) is he wasn't the best worker and I thought his play this year showed it. The main problem for him was Sunseri was not accurate, but Baldwin did seem to lose focus and probably doesn't have a whole lot of quality film this year to show for it. I assume if he has a good combine someone would jump on the potential, but I think it would be tough to justify taking him at #34. I like J Pinkston instead, it will be interesting if he's there @34 what they do. Actually, I think 34 is going to be the most interesting pick for us, beginning of the second day, with us having so many needs it may be our best chance to trade down.

I don't know where Romeus is going to end up, but pre-season he was getting looked at in the middle of the first. I don't know if he will work on our defense, but Dave should understand his back problems and we could pick him up if the value is there.

Dion Lewis is a decent back but there were rumors regarding a drinking problem that got him into trouble early this year. Seems like he turned it around later in the year, but I don't know if Wanny would spend a pick on him. Maybe udfa.

Mildly strange (or pure smoke blowing), indeed. The OLB position was terrible last season, and you have other reports that the Bills want to build their defense around Posluszny. Then this. :huh:

baldwin is what? 6'6'' 240? I'd be ok with that in rd 2 too.

But can he play OLB?

I caught that too. Fortunately I had set my coffee mug down before reading it.

Mildly strange (or pure smoke blowing), indeed. The OLB position was terrible last season, and you have other reports that the Bills want to build their defense around Posluszny. Then this. :huh:

That's my thought too. Moats seemed to show promise, who else?

Please don't tell me they're still hoping for Kelsay to catch on?