Why we want to avoid drafting Marell Dareus with our #3 Pick in the fi

Dareus is far from a one year wounder he only started 4 games prior to his junior season but he played often putting up similar number in his sophomore season as he did in his junior year. Dareus had 6.5 sacks with 9 tackles for a loss and 7 QB hurries in his sophomore season and was the BCS title game MVP.

In his junior year he started 11 games (Was suspended for the first 3) got 4.5 sacks with 11 tackles for a loss and 10 QB hurries. Darues also is considered a guy that plays the run phenomenally and can pass rush well out of the 3-4.

Don't let starts fool you he played often in his sophomore season and played well too.

Fairley, Bowers, and Quinn all have much greater upside than Dareus. With the #3 overall pick, I want a potential Hall of Famer. Not a safe above-average player. This team needs difference makers and game changers, not more Whitners and Poslusznys.

Awesome..another reply that I really agree with! I'm more up on Fairley, and Bowers knowledge wise..but I've read somewhere before that Quinn is a physical freak of some sort..maybe I'm wrong about that? I don't follow college as closely as the NFL but I try to keep up on the bigger names. I realize that Quinn was out to pasture for a year so maybe that's why I lack an opinion on him. I was thinking you could probably move down to the 6-10 range and get Quinn and pickup a second rounder to fill another need. If some think Quinn may be a risk at least you'd be getting an extra pick with the possibility that Quinn may turn into the next Bruce Smith! Hmmmmm..a lot to consider? But, I just don't think Dareus will develop into more than an above average player at best in the NFL so hopefully the Bills will not outsmart themselves once again!

My personal hope is that we pick Marcell Dareus with the sixth pick of the draft after we trade down with Cleveland for their 1st and 2nd and Cleveland sneaks ahead of Cincinnati to take AJ Green.

Marcell Darius reminds me of a little bigger, a little more versatile Cullen Jenkins- He has long arms despite a stocky body and he can play NT as well as DE in a 3-4 and DT in a 4-3, he's not going to get you double digits sacks but I can't think of any 3-4 DEs that do off hand, what he is going to do is fix some of our run defense problems and force some fumbles.

Drafting for a little positional versatility

1. Marcell Dareus DE/NT

2a Martez Wilson ILB/OLB

2b Mark Herzlich OLB/ILB

3. Mike Pouncey OG/OC RT in a pinch4a Jarvis Jenkins DE

4b Joseph Barksdale OT

5. Kendrick Ellis NT/DE

He will be drafted in the first round, but keep dreaming.

Awesome..another reply that I really agree with! I'm more up on Fairley, and Bowers knowledge wise..but I've read somewhere before that Quinn is a physical freak of some sort..maybe I'm wrong about that? I don't follow college as closely as the NFL but I try to keep up on the bigger names. I realize that Quinn was out to pasture for a year so maybe that's why I lack an opinion on him. I was thinking you could probably move down to the 6-10 range and get Quinn and pickup a second rounder to fill another need. If some think Quinn may be a risk at least you'd be getting an extra pick with the possibility that Quinn may turn into the next Bruce Smith! Hmmmmm..a lot to consider? But, I just don't think Dareus will develop into more than an above average player at best in the NFL so hopefully the Bills will not outsmart themselves once again!

I guess I just don't understand how you haven't even begun to address the fact that he's a multi year player, has shown up biggest in his biggest games, and fits our system better then anyone else. Not to mention he's coming out of bama where he played against top competition, and had a top defensive program and strength program to grow in. Guys like bowers or miller might have more upside but they have huge bust potential too. You reference fairley bowers and now Quinn but knock dareus as a one year wonder - when he's the only multi year contributor... Just doesn't make sense.

I will say I don't see him as a HOF player but I think part of that is he will be doing dirty work. Setting the edge, taking on two blockers and tackles at but not behind the line tend not to get you HOF recognition.

I do see his Career range bracketed between 10 year starter and multiple probowls -- some of the other guys have the wider net of out of the league in five years through HOF.

I really see fairley, dareus and green as the only 3 options and hope for a big body.

NFL Mock Drafts vary greatly, but some of the players that continually get mentioned as potential top 5 picks include: N.Fairley DT, D.Bowers DE, B. Gabbert QB, P. Peterson QB, A.J. Green WR, M. Dareus DT, and possibly a couple more....Quinn, Miller,

My opinion is that Fairley and Bowers could easily go #1 & #2 in either order but Green or Peterson could sneak in either spot as well...

If Fairley and Bowers go before the Bills pick at #3 there would obviously be a wide range of options at this pick...Some of the "so-called" mock draft experts are starting to prognosticate that the Bills would select M. Dareus at #3. I think that has the potential to be a devastating mistake! Not that there are guarantees of any pick every reaching expectations. Here is a few reasons to worry about selecting M. Dareus as provided by FFTOOLBOX.COM (You can select Mock Draft) and read all the draftnik mocks, all the user mock drafts, and also make up you own mock draft which people will leave comments about and rate! It's a lot of fun and it's free!!!

So back to the topic...Here are some reasons why we should avoid selecting M. Dareus with our 3rd pick in the 2011 NFL Draft:

#1. Marcell Dareus was really a one-year wonder at Alabama who only started 4 other games in his entire collegiate career prior to last season! Wasn't Aaron Maybin a one year wonder at his college position?

#2. Marcell Dareus is entering the draft after his junior season..Did Aaron Maybin come out after his junior

season?

#3. Marcell Dareus also was suspended for 2 games last season for receiving improper benefits from agents...Just

gives me red flags of the potential for other future criminal/moral impropriaties.

#4. M. Dareus is ranked between the 2-4 best DT in the upcoming draft and will not be in the words of Buddy Nix

(Best Player available at pick #3.) He is rated by fftoolbox.com as the #6 pick in the draft, and I believe

that is a slight reach as I have him at #10. If the Bills feel like he is the pick, they could trade down to

pick #8 or possibly lower and still get him while picking up some extra picks, but personally I don't want

him as this has to be a sure pick! (as sure as one can be that is!).

#5. M. Dareus is a little stocky and is 2" shorter than Fairley and at least 1" shorter than Bowers. Doesn't

sound like much, but than often means a shorter wing span, possibly shorter arms etc. To be the best, size

at the position of DE/DT counts!

So what do you think is Marcell Dareus worth surrendering our 3rd pick in the 2011 NFL Draft? My answer is

he has great upside, but is high-risk, therefore my answer is a resounding NO! A couple of years ago I was saying that Aaron Maybin was a high risk pick that

I would not approve of because of some of the same reasons! I was devastated when the Bills passed on Bray Orakapo. History often repeats itself...(especially in the Bills organization!!!) The pick I fear the most is the pick I believe the Bills will make..Mark my word!!!

Tell me what you think as I'd love to get your prospective on Dareus and the Players I mentioned at the

beginning of this post.

Dareus will be a stud, all the reasons you gave are meaningless.

Dareus will be a stud, all the reasons you gave are meaningless.

Meaningless reasons or not, you're the only Dareus supporter willing to give him the "stud" rating.

I would seriously draft Cameron Jordan before I'd draft Dareus. Jordan has the prototypical body for a 3-4 DE, he's got the blood lines (father was a six time pro bowler), and knocked the socks off the scouts with his play during senior bowl week. Dareus already looks like a DT starting out his career, IMO it's going to be very hard for a guy like him to stay a fit and trim weight for a 3-4 DE.

Right now, my board goes Miller, Green and then probably Jordan over the boom/bust Bowers.

I like your #5 point. Watching him play in his bowl game, he did alright, but seemed too short and stocky to be anything but a 4-3 tackle. And we are drafting for the 3-4 scheme this year, according to Nix.

When you pick at #3, you can't be picking mis-fits. Unfortunately that doesn't leave a lot of choice this year. Hopefuly, they can trade down.

NFL Mock Drafts vary greatly, but some of the players that continually get mentioned as potential top 5 picks include: N.Fairley DT, D.Bowers DE, B. Gabbert QB, P. Peterson QB, A.J. Green WR, M. Dareus DT, and possibly a couple more....Quinn, Miller,

My opinion is that Fairley and Bowers could easily go #1 & #2 in either order but Green or Peterson could sneak in either spot as well...

If Fairley and Bowers go before the Bills pick at #3 there would obviously be a wide range of options at this pick...Some of the "so-called" mock draft experts are starting to prognosticate that the Bills would select M. Dareus at #3. I think that has the potential to be a devastating mistake! Not that there are guarantees of any pick every reaching expectations. Here is a few reasons to worry about selecting M. Dareus as provided by FFTOOLBOX.COM (You can select Mock Draft) and read all the draftnik mocks, all the user mock drafts, and also make up you own mock draft which people will leave comments about and rate! It's a lot of fun and it's free!!!

So back to the topic...Here are some reasons why we should avoid selecting M. Dareus with our 3rd pick in the 2011 NFL Draft:

#1. Marcell Dareus was really a one-year wonder at Alabama who only started 4 other games in his entire collegiate career prior to last season! Wasn't Aaron Maybin a one year wonder at his college position? He is not a one year wonder, remember the 09 National Championship game? He took out Mccoy and ran an INT back for a TD, oh and I believe had 2 sacks.

#2. Marcell Dareus is entering the draft after his junior season..Did Aaron Maybin come out after his junior

season? What does this have to do with anything?

#3. Marcell Dareus also was suspended for 2 games last season for receiving improper benefits from agents...Just

gives me red flags of the potential for other future criminal/moral impropriaties. He and 50 other players, he was very productive in the best conference in football.

#4. M. Dareus is ranked between the 2-4 best DT in the upcoming draft and will not be in the words of Buddy Nix

(Best Player available at pick #3.) He is rated by fftoolbox.com as the #6 pick in the draft, and I believe

that is a slight reach as I have him at #10. If the Bills feel like he is the pick, they could trade down to

pick #8 or possibly lower and still get him while picking up some extra picks, but personally I don't want

him as this has to be a sure pick! (as sure as one can be that is!). I am glad U have him at #10? What company or sports reporting firm do you work for???

#5. M. Dareus is a little stocky and is 2" shorter than Fairley and at least 1" shorter than Bowers. Doesn't

sound like much, but than often means a shorter wing span, possibly shorter arms etc. To be the best, size

at the position of DE/DT counts! He moves better than Fairley and is stronger, Bowers is a complete player and will go #1, (my belief)

So what do you think is Marcell Dareus worth surrendering our 3rd pick in the 2011 NFL Draft? My answer is

he has great upside, but is high-risk, therefore my answer is a resounding NO! A couple of years ago I was saying that Aaron Maybin was a high risk pick that

I would not approve of because of some of the same reasons! I was devastated when the Bills passed on Bray Orakapo. History often repeats itself...(especially in the Bills organization!!!) The pick I fear the most is the pick I believe the Bills will make..Mark my word!!!

Tell me what you think as I'd love to get your prospective on Dareus and the Players I mentioned at the

beginning of this post.

My personal hope is that we pick Marcell Dareus with the sixth pick of the draft after we trade down with Cleveland for their 1st and 2nd and Cleveland sneaks ahead of Cincinnati to take AJ Green.

Marcell Darius reminds me of a little bigger, a little more versatile Cullen Jenkins- He has long arms despite a stocky body and he can play NT as well as DE in a 3-4 and DT in a 4-3, he's not going to get you double digits sacks but I can't think of any 3-4 DEs that do off hand, what he is going to do is fix some of our run defense problems and force some fumbles.

Drafting for a little positional versatility

1. Marcell Dareus DE/NT

2a Martez Wilson ILB/OLB

2b Mark Herzlich OLB/ILB

3. Mike Pouncey OG/OC RT in a pinch- Pouncey is a 1st rounder.No way he lasts.

4a Jarvis Jenkins DE

4b Joseph Barksdale OT

5. Kendrick Ellis NT/DE

Edited by BUFFALOTONE

It continues to blow my mind how people make statements such as I don't watch much college football but or I haven't seen much of player x but or I saw clips on youtube and this player is amazing/terrible... and then spout opinions as fact.

Please go back and watch dareus completely control the line of scrimmage in several games throughout the last two seasons esp the championship game mentioned earlier that they continuosly called his name. He is a safe pick bc his FLOOR is so high not IMO because his ceiling is low. Bowers, gabbert, and quinn scare me bc of the potential to bust.

It continues to blow my mind how people make statements such as I don't watch much college football but or I haven't seen much of player x but or I saw clips on youtube and this player is amazing/terrible... and then spout opinions as fact.

Please go back and watch dareus completely control the line of scrimmage in several games throughout the last two seasons esp the championship game mentioned earlier that they continuosly called his name. He is a safe pick bc his FLOOR is so high not IMO because his ceiling is low. Bowers, gabbert, and quinn scare me bc of the potential to bust.

Sorry, but a low ceiling isn't what you want with the 3rd overall pick. The Bills should be looking for either an impact player or a way to trade the pick for someone who wants Green if he falls to that pick.

We are all pretty much going off of information from the draft experts, draft blogs and youtube clips. For the most part it's served us well when you consider the TSW majority wanted Orakpo over Maybin, Clady or Albert over McKelvin (and keeping Greer), and Ngata over Whitner.

Dareus is simply not worth the 3rd pick overall. He should be around the 6th through 10th slot IMO.

Edited by 1billsfan

Sorry, but a low ceiling isn't what you want with the 3rd overall pick. The Bills should be looking for either an impact player or a way to trade the pick for someone who wants Green if he falls to that pick.

We are all pretty much going off of information from the draft experts, draft blogs and youtube clips. For the most part it's served us well when you consider the TSW majority wanted Orakpo over Maybin, Clady or Albert over McKelvin (and keeping Greer), and Ngata over Whitner.

Dareus is simply not worth the 3rd pick overall. He should be around the 6th through 10th slot IMO.

His supposed low ceiling is probably higher then anyone on our team currently. His low water mark is probably higher then most of our players ceilings.

Saying he probably isnt Bruce but he is a very safe pick isn't a knock in my book. Yes, green could be the next HOF receiver, but much more likely is an above average starter. Bowers could get 15 sacks, but let's be honest - where was his production before this year? He more then likely is a 3-4 sack guy that COULD be that monster. There's no saying that dareus won't explode but it seems like he is probably just a perennial probowler in the mold of a Richard Seymour, not Bruce smith. Could be better could be worse but I really see him in that role for us if we take him. I'd take that over a boom or bust guy that has a 1/10 shot of being great and a 4/10 shot of never being a probowler. Value is not just going to be talent but also contract paid at our slot and I'm comfortable that dareus will live up to the $$. If we can get him at 5, awesome, if not, oh well.

I don't even feel his ceiling is low being a safe pick means everyone expects you to be good. He to me is better than bowers and at least on par with fairley if not better. I also agree with the above poster he would immediately become the best end on our team. So improving a weak spot on the roster, getting an immediate contributor, and beefing up our lines is not what you want with the 3rd pick?

I guess I just don't understand how you haven't even begun to address the fact that he's a multi year player, has shown up biggest in his biggest games, and fits our system better then anyone else. Not to mention he's coming out of bama where he played against top competition, and had a top defensive program and strength program to grow in. Guys like bowers or miller might have more upside but they have huge bust potential too. You reference fairley bowers and now Quinn but knock dareus as a one year wonder - when he's the only multi year contributor... Just doesn't make sense.

I will say I don't see him as a HOF player but I think part of that is he will be doing dirty work. Setting the edge, taking on two blockers and tackles at but not behind the line tend not to get you HOF recognition.

I do see his Career range bracketed between 10 year starter and multiple probowls -- some of the other guys have the wider net of out of the league in five years through HOF.

I really see fairley, dareus and green as the only 3 options and hope for a big body.

I think you made my case stronger in just one sentence that you stated: Guys like bowers or miller might have more upside but they have huge bust potential too... Why would you use the #3 pick for a guy like Dareus that you even admitted has less upside? Case closed, point reinforced! Thank You..(There is risk in every pick..)

Meaningless reasons or not, you're the only Dareus supporter willing to give him the "stud" rating.

I would seriously draft Cameron Jordan before I'd draft Dareus. Jordan has the prototypical body for a 3-4 DE, he's got the blood lines (father was a six time pro bowler), and knocked the socks off the scouts with his play during senior bowl week. Dareus already looks like a DT starting out his career, IMO it's going to be very hard for a guy like him to stay a fit and trim weight for a 3-4 DE.

Right now, my board goes Miller, Green and then probably Jordan over the boom/bust Bowers.

Untrue.....I will also give Marcel the "stud" rating.

Maybe your definition of stud is different then mine. When I think of a STUD in the NFL it isn't the guy getting all the big stats and accolades every week on defense....it is the guy who wins his battles....game in and game out....and allows say a linebacker to be uncovered and make that needed tackle.....then that linebacker gets hurt....and his backup comes into the game and HE MAKES THAT NEEDED TACKLE.....why? Not because he is as good or better then linebacker number 1 its because he is allowed to be in a position to make a play and he makes it BECAUSE the big boy in front of him is controlling the line of scrimmage game in and game out.

People get so worked up into their porsche, and ferrari positions that they forget the games are WON IN THE TRENCHES.......those guys are hard to find....this makes MARCEL A STUD.......oh and by the way....I keep hearing the talk of "ceiling" this word sounds a lot like "potential"......do you know what those words mean? THEY MIGHT GET THAT GOOD OR THEY MIGHT NOT......

Give me the sure thing at 3. The only reason why i would like to trade down is I think we might be in a position to still get Darius and gain another 2nd rounder....which I would put at DL or LB

I think you made my case stronger in just one sentence that you stated: Guys like bowers or miller might have more upside but they have huge bust potential too... Why would you use the #3 pick for a guy like Dareus that you even admitted has less upside? Case closed, point reinforced! Thank You..(There is risk in every pick..)

So because they have a chance, however slim, to be great they are automatically ahead of a guy that is expected to be consistently near their possibly higher ceiling. Yea I think bowers could get 100+ sacks in the right setting but I think it's unlikely, and I don't think we have that setting. Maybin might have played ok had he gone straight to a 3-4 team and had time to sit too. I think dareus is about as close to can't bust (barring injury) as you can get. If that means ten years of Seymour-esque play I'm all in on it. I think that bowers could very easily go either way. Does this team roll the dice big on what is the possibility of being slightly better?

You are arguing that because bowers could be better we take him over someone that is probably better?

Untrue.....I will also give Marcel the "stud" rating.

Maybe your definition of stud is different then mine. When I think of a STUD in the NFL it isn't the guy getting all the big stats and accolades every week on defense....it is the guy who wins his battles....game in and game out....and allows say a linebacker to be uncovered and make that needed tackle.....then that linebacker gets hurt....and his backup comes into the game and HE MAKES THAT NEEDED TACKLE.....why? Not because he is as good or better then linebacker number 1 its because he is allowed to be in a position to make a play and he makes it BECAUSE the big boy in front of him is controlling the line of scrimmage game in and game out.

People get so worked up into their porsche, and ferrari positions that they forget the games are WON IN THE TRENCHES.......those guys are hard to find....this makes MARCEL A STUD.......oh and by the way....I keep hearing the talk of "ceiling" this word sounds a lot like "potential"......do you know what those words mean? THEY MIGHT GET THAT GOOD OR THEY MIGHT NOT......

Give me the sure thing at 3. The only reason why i would like to trade down is I think we might be in a position to still get Darius and gain another 2nd rounder....which I would put at DL or LB

+1

Given the Bills plight they need to draft performance over potential. I'd rather have a guy that has a high probability of being very good based on observed on the field performance than a player who MIGHT be great based on somebody's subjective opinion. And in the Bills case a subjective opinion that has been wrong way too often this decade. Use the later rounds if you want to draft project players or reach for potential.

Bowers scares the bejesus out of me. He would be the one pick I'd have a second thought about at #3. I wouldn't poo-poo it, but I'd be holding my breath his entire rookie season until he showed he was going to live up to the hype.

truth.

he might be the flashy guy at the top but i think with that huge potential comes an even bigger potential to bust. i could see him being a guy that gets 2.5 sacks over 3 years even more easily then i can envision him getting 20 in that time. yet alone the 30 hed have to get to justify the contract that a #3 gets.

dareus i think is a gimme as far as fulfilling his potential. i would be very surprised if he didnt perform on level with vets getting paid in that 8-10 mill a year price range like he will be seeing out of that slot. if we can trade back to 5 and get him, great but im not sweating it if we pick him at 3.