AJ GREEN

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

END OF TOPIC!

You dont pass on a Play-Maker Game Breaker, i dont even see a kid like this coming out for the next several years that we may get in position to add to our roster

If we did not give up like 350 yards per game on the ground I would agree perhaps. Right now sounds a lot like the Spiller pick, and Magahee Pick, and the Evans pick, and the Lynch Pick, and the Losmann pick where we went for skill/talent choice over size and need.

If we did not give up like 350 yards per game on the ground I would agree perhaps. Right now sounds a lot like the Spiller pick, and Magahee Pick, and the Evans pick, and the Lynch Pick, and the Losmann pick where we went for skill/talent choice over size and need.

because we couldnt score, unless we can get Fairly no other defensive player is going to make an impact

WR would be the worst possible pick the Bills could make at #3. Does the name Marcus Easley ring any bells?

PTR

Easley? What's he done so far? A one year wonder at college and a training camp sensation. Maybe he is gonna be great. Maybe not? Not saying AJ Green is the right answer but, don't know why you're even bringing up Easley's name.

Word. We need DEF and we need it bad.

Easley? What's he done so far? A one year wonder at college and a training camp sensation. Maybe he is gonna be great. Maybe not? Not saying AJ Green is the right answer but, don't know why you're even bringing up Easley's name.

Easley is not the same caliber of WR as AJ GREEN

you can draft a huge play maker, and then use the following pick to sure up the defense.... The oppurtunity to get another WR with size,speed,athletic ability and hands is rare....

we can use the other pick to sure up the defense..... and our defense has hardly been healthy up front consistantly

What would upset you more the Patrick Peterson pick. Or the A.J. Green pick. These 2 ball players are widely regarded as rare talents. The 2 best ball players available in this years college draft. No one around here really seems to want them (granted ahead of time some people here would not mind). This is just a general feeling, I get from this board. As fans are we incorrect for not wanting the quick fix. Go for the fat guy where you need the absolute most help. Or do we realize the cubbard is really that bare at 1 Bills Drive and know how absoleutly crucial it is to get a special talent. The next Transformer.

I'm against going for him in principle...we have receivers but don't have linebackers offensive tackles or defensive linemen. If I had confidence that the administrative types could or will address these needs through trades and/or free agency and by concentrating the other picks of the draft on them I'd say to really look this guy over and MAYBE consider drafting him.

I would want it very clear that he is a "head and shoulders" class first round pick. I'm not sure he is that, yet.

you can draft a huge play maker, and then use the following pick to sure up the defense.... The oppurtunity to get another WR with size,speed,athletic ability and hands is rare....

we can use the other pick to sure up the defense..... and our defense has hardly been healthy up front consistantly

Nobodies disagreeing with you about Green's talent, but this year's draft class is full of d-line talent. This is where we should go with our 1st pick. WR right now isn't a necessity just like the Spiller pick last year. That was a JOKE.

I'm not saying we should pick AJ Green, but the fact remains that Marcus Easley has done nothing to this point (although i think we're ok with Evans-Stevie-Nelson-Jones-Parrish-Roosie), and the draft is more than 1 round long.

Given Buddy's draft emphasis in SD, and last year here, he tends to look for big WRs available later on in the draft, so i doubt we'll take Green at #3.

3 posts, all in this topic... EldaBillsFan must be either AJ Green's agent, or his mother. There's no way the Bills can afford to pick a WR at #3. It's arguably the strongest position on the team, and the D is atrocious.

he my cousin....im joking....i just believe if this guy is the 2nd coming of a Randy Moss... 80-100 catch, 1,1200-1300 yards, 10-15 tds ..... seasons....

you dont pass on it.... i know our defense needs work, but how name games were we even healthy this year? how many people played out of position? NO one defensive player is gonna turn this team around

I just dont think any of this guys are cornerstone defensive players....But AJ Green is a corner stone offensive player....

I like AJ Green. But how many games has Calvin Johnson won Detroit?

he my cousin....im joking....i just believe if this guy is the 2nd coming of a Randy Moss... 80-100 catch, 1,1200-1300 yards, 10-15 tds ..... seasons....

you dont pass on it.... i know our defense needs work, but how name games were we even healthy this year? how many people played out of position? NO one defensive player is gonna turn this team around

I just dont think any of this guys are cornerstone defensive players....But AJ Green is a corner stone offensive player....

I know, and just look at how many Super Bowl rings Randy Moss has.

Name ONE WR in this year's Super Bowl that was taken within the first round.

Greg Jennings? Hines Ward? Greg Jennings? Mike Wallace? James Jones? Sorry but they were all late round picks.

Green is a luxury pick which we can't afford right now. I can even see him going to Carolina and give Clausen a big target to work with.

The best available player analysis needs to account for whether you can get a comparable player in a later round. Assume AJ Green is the best WR and will get you 1500 yards and 10 TD's every year, if I can get a WR in Round 4 who can get me 900 yards and 6 TD's, then do you still take Green?

Is that analysis not also available with Dlinemen? As was stated above this is a deep draft for Dline. Also, the Bills drafted two Dlinemen with 2 of their top 3 picks last year. I think they're going either Peterson or Green.

During the season there were probably 45 different threads regarding whether Lee Evans was a #1 WR, so obviously there is a need there, with AJ there is no doubt.

Edited by Ghost of Rob Johnson

Evans and Luynch were need picks. Look, I am not a fan of the direction, but if he grades so much better, you have to take him, or get a ransom to trade out of the spot. Anyway, if he is so God-like and Spiller matures into a 3 down talent - maybe we can force some teams to become one dimensional and help our defense out? Just throwing darts....

Evans and Luynch were need picks. Look, I am not a fan of the direction, but if he grades so much better, you have to take him, or get a ransom to trade out of the spot. Anyway, if he is so God-like and Spiller matures into a 3 down talent - maybe we can force some teams to become one dimensional and help our defense out? Just throwing darts....

We allowed an average of 170 yds per game (3RD MOST RUSHING YDS PER GAME AVERAGE IN THE LAST 10 YEARS) with almost 5 yds per carry. Both dead last in the league. With teams rushing 36 times per game which is the most in the league. With our defense allowing 27 points per game. This sht needs to stop.

I think it is a very useful debate. How many drafts have been ruined by reaching for need , I don't have to list them we all know the names. If Greene is far away the player with the biggest upside I would not argue against the pick and here is why. 1. Stevie johnson, who we all love was not great last year, repeat not great ,he dropped several big passes in the Steeler game and had a huge fumble in the Green bay game, before it got out of control. I think he is a great number two. 2. Lee evans has always been more style then substance. I know the whole decoy arguement, pull the d away blah blah blah but could he get 10 td's or 1000 yards recieving agian. Easley who knows but they like him so you can not discount him. Just saying taking for need is why the roster was a disaster. By the way the argument could be made for the cornerbacks in this draft. I think Greene ,Prince and Peterson may grade out very high . SHOULD be interesting .

I am down for Fairley but if he is gone it gong to be wild .

If by the end of the combine none of the top defensive front 7 players separate themselves as outstanding franchise cornerstones and Green looks like a potential HOF receiver then the Bills should probably close their ears and draft Green.

I just can't nail down any one of these top defensive players enough to say this is the one we have to pick. Since this draft is so deep in D lineman, there will probably be a solid to very good starting DE or LB there in the second.

WR would be the worst possible pick the Bills could make at #3. Does the name Marcus Easley ring any bells?

PTR

Usually I agree with your assessment, but I can't get there from here. Easley rings a bell...he as a 4th rounder who had one good year in college, then got hurt in TC. He didn't play a down for the Bills.

I don't necessarily think taking Green is a good idea, but this was not a convincing argument.

Could you imagine where Detroit would be if they didn't have Calvin Johnson? No one is saying drafting an elite WR immediately makes you a playoff team. If you took Jerry Rice circa 1987 and put him on the Bucs they probably would have won 4 games instead of 2. That's not the point. Patrick Willis is insane. The Niners suck. You gotta just try and get as good as you can at each position.

You can add two Big Macs to that...McCargo and McKelvin

AJ Green could be Andre Reed, Jerry Butler, James Lofton and Bobby Chandler rolled into one but we need some guys that can stop the other team first, then we can draft players like AJ five years from now when the center of the team is set. I think the Steelers keep getting to the Super Bowl because they take care of the Defense first, then the QB and they don't care who lines up wide. They will always find someone who can do that in a later round.

If by the end of the combine none of the top defensive front 7 players separate themselves as outstanding franchise cornerstones and Green looks like a potential HOF receiver then the Bills should probably close their ears and draft Green.

I just can't nail down any one of these top defensive players enough to say this is the one we have to pick. Since this draft is so deep in D lineman, there will probably be a solid to very good starting DE or LB there in the second.

Certainly a case to be made for that. I dont see any of the front 7 guys worthy of a top 5 pick. Green oth is clearly the best player in the draft. A freaky combination of Rice(route running)/Moss(athleticism)/Fitzgerald(physicality). Have only seen a few of their games, but this guy seriously never drops a catch.

And just think how much better we'd have been if we'd drafted best athlete instead of need over last 10 yrs.

What would upset you more the Patrick Peterson pick. Or the A.J. Green pick. These 2 ball players are widely regarded as rare talents. The 2 best ball players available in this years college draft. No one around here really seems to want them (granted ahead of time some people here would not mind). This is just a general feeling, I get from this board. As fans are we incorrect for not wanting the quick fix. Go for the fat guy where you need the absolute most help. Or do we realize the cubbard is really that bare at 1 Bills Drive and know how absoleutly crucial it is to get a special talent. The next Transformer.

Elda, if Ralph picks Green, he will sell about 15 season tickets next year. People will abandon this organization like never before. Buddy will be compared to Matt Millen and Stevie Nix.

Certainly a case to be made for that. I dont see any of the front 7 guys worthy of a top 5 pick. Green oth is clearly the best player in the draft. A freaky combination of Rice(route running)/Moss(athleticism)/Fitzgerald(physicality).

All awesome players. Only Rice, who played his best in the pre-free-agent era of Super teams, helped his team over the hump. The Bills are lacking way too many pieces to draft another WR - a position of stability if not premier talent on this team. We've heard these same platitudes about Charles Rogers, Calvin Johnson, Mike Williams (who looked like #1 overall talent)... all these guys have in common is being drafted by a team that averages somewhere around D.F.L., and has chosen the wrong priorities with regularity.

What will get Detroit turned around, finally, is building around pieces like Suh and Stafford (presuming good health) - not their receiving corps. The Bills should heed that warning. If Fairley and Green are both there and they make the wrong choice, we're in for another 5-10 years of Bills golf in January.

All awesome players. Only Rice, who played his best in the pre-free-agent era of Super teams, helped his team over the hump. The Bills are lacking way too many pieces to draft another WR - a position of stability if not premier talent on this team. We've heard these same platitudes about Charles Rogers, Calvin Johnson, Mike Williams (who looked like #1 overall talent)... all these guys have in common is being drafted by a team that averages somewhere around D.F.L., and has chosen the wrong priorities with regularity.

What will get Detroit turned around, finally, is building around pieces like Suh and Stafford (presuming good health) - not their receiving corps. The Bills should heed that warning. If Fairley and Green are both there and they make the wrong choice, we're in for another 5-10 years of Bills golf in January.

I never compared Charles Rogers, Calvin Johnson, Mike Williams to Rice, Moss and Fitzgerald. Nor anyone else, so this is a 1st for me. And I wouldnt bust on Moss or Fitzgerald if I were you. They dont have a ring, but both of them were a big reason their teams were even in a Super Bowl.

Tossing out building around someone like Suh finally, assumes a Suh-type was available previously. No way. Suh was the best player available at #2 last year. And there hasnt been anyone like him coming out of college since maybe Bruce Smith. More and more, Im in favor of drafting best player available .... draftin for need is the basis for most bad reaches ... Whitner, McCargo, Lynch, McKelvin, Maybin etc etc

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

I never compared Charles Rogers, Calvin Johnson, Mike Williams to Rice, Moss and Fitzgerald. Nor anyone else, so this is a 1st for me. And I wouldnt bust on Moss or Fitzgerald if I were you. They dont have a ring, but both of them were a big reason their teams were even in a Super Bowl.

Tossing out building around someone like Suh finally, assumes a Suh-type was available previously. No way. Suh was the best player available at #2 last year. And there hasnt been anyone like him coming out of college since maybe Bruce Smith. More and more, Im in favor of drafting best player available .... draftin for need is the basis for most bad reaches ... Whitner, Lynch, McKelvin, Maybin etc etc

I was totally busting on Moss and Fitzgerald by calling them awesome players! :rolleyes:

They made it where they did because of awesome casts surrounding them, on teams that were assembled with their priorities in order.

The year the Lions drafted Charles Rogers they could have had:

Andre Johnson - a top talent at WR if I've ever seen one - still hasn't gotten the Texans anywhere

Terrell Suggs

Jordan Gross

Kevin Williams

Troy Polamalu

And that's just in the top 16.

The year they drafted Mike (not big Mike) Williams they could have had:

DeMarcus Ware

Jammal Brown

Shawne Merriman

These are just the three picks after theirs.

Vincent Jackson was had at pick #61. Roddy White was there at #27.

My point is that good receivers can be gotten most anywhere. They are not foundational, ever. Wasting the #3 pick on him, even if he's Jerry Rice, will have us a nice tall target waiting on the sideline for the !@#$ing run defense to get off the field.

There are a lot of reasons why the Lions have lost, he is not one of them. He is the best player on the team, with Suh equally as good on the other side of the ball. When a highly drafted player plays at the lofty level he was picked then that is a good pick, especially how Buffalo squanders so many high picks.

Ideally, what I would like to see happen is that another team covets Green enough to trade some picks to move up in the draft. The Bills could use multiple high picks to address some of their many needs.

Edited by JohnC

There are a lot of reasons why the Lions have lost, he is not one of them. He is the best player on the team, with Suh equally as good on the other side of the ball. When a highly drafted player plays at the lofty level he was picked thent that is a good pick.

Ideally, what I would like to see happen is that another team covets Green enough to trade some picks to move up in the draft. The Bills could use multiple high picks to address some of their many needs.

I wouldn't argue with the Johnson pick, only because Joe Thomas, Revis and Patrick Willis have turned out to be the only comparably-rated picks in that round. Would any of those guys have helped more? Hard to say. But their organizational stability is the big issue, and a large part of that had been Matt Millen pissing away first rounder after first rounder on receivers.

I have a feeling the Bills will pick BPA in round one regardless of position and then draft based on needs after.

I agree.

A J Green is going to be the pick if Fairley is off the board.

It is obvious that the Bills need defensive help, but I do believe people are forgetting that they have 7 more draft picks in the draft.

It would also allow the Bills to trade away the under-achieving Lee Evans for another draft pick(possibly a 3rd?).

IMO, AJ Green is better at his position than any of the other defensive top 5 picks are at their respective positions(not including Fairley).

I was totally busting on Moss and Fitzgerald by calling them awesome players! :rolleyes:

They made it where they did because of awesome casts surrounding them, on teams that were assembled with their priorities in order.

The year the Lions drafted Charles Rogers they could have had:

Andre Johnson - a top talent at WR if I've ever seen one - still hasn't gotten the Texans anywhere

Terrell Suggs

Jordan Gross

Kevin Williams

Troy Polamalu

And that's just in the top 16.

The year they drafted Mike (not big Mike) Williams they could have had:

DeMarcus Ware

Jammal Brown

Shawne Merriman

These are just the three picks after theirs.

Vincent Jackson was had at pick #61. Roddy White was there at #27.

My point is that good receivers can be gotten most anywhere. They are not foundational, ever. Wasting the #3 pick on him, even if he's Jerry Rice, will have us a nice tall target waiting on the sideline for the !@#$ing run defense to get off the field.

Rogers and Williams were "drafting for need" picks. Only Calvin Johnson was considered "best player available." And you can find players at any position that were drafted low (Tom Brady 6th RD) or heck not drafted at all (James Harrison.) Look at the 2006 draft (gives guys 5 years to prove themselves): Of the 9 probowlers drafted after Rd 3, only 1 (Brandon Marshall) is a WR.

2006 Draft

Look, I love defense too and we sure need it. And Im surprised Im arguing for WR at #3. But the guy is just that good. Period

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack