Von Miller or Quinn

Pete

with some consideration for Fairley and Dareous. If we draft any other player with the 3rd overall selection- we screwed up yet another first round draft. I have faith in Nix that he will not screw up this draft, unlike most every other draft since halfway thru John Butlers tenure

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nix said he was going to draft the guy he thinks will give the most impact. How could any of your choices provide that impact over, say, a Peterson or Amukamara (sp?), who could start immediately?

Quinn and Green are probably the two best players in this draft. Fairley and Dareous are difference makers. And Von Miller is one helluva football player with immeasurables off the chart. He might make the most immediate difference for us. I am not sold on Peterson or Prince. Neither has shown me the game changing abilitys of the aforementioned. Scouts drool over Peterson's size. Give me Von Millers production over Peterson's potential any day of the week

Even if that was true, I still think he's a 4-3 type.

In a 3-4 defense the pressure comes from the OLBers. What pressure did our 3-4 backers generate last year? And I am not sold on Merriman. We are not getting the Merriman of 5 years ago, and achilles injuries are very tough to overcome. Von Miller is adept at both stopping the run and rushing the passer. And I bet if we drafted Von Miller he would start from week one

In a 3-4 defense the pressure comes from the OLBers. What pressure did our 3-4 backers generate last year? And I am not sold on Merriman. We are not getting the Merriman of 5 years ago, and achilles injuries are very tough to overcome. Von Miller is adept at both stopping the run and rushing the passer. And I bet if we drafted Von Miller he would start from week one

I'm not sold on Merriman yet, either, but Nix wants to get bigger LBs, and I don't see how Miller qualifies.

Edited by jjmac

I think Nix wants to get bigger at inside backer more than anything. But we still need a LB who is swift enough to cover TE's too, so that guy may not be as big, cause they are hard to find.........

That was my impression as well, but it's difficult to decipher what he's saying half the time.

For those who believe Miller's too small, Clay Matthews was 240 coming out of college. I wouldn't get too hung up on that quite yet. He made a very subtle but important play I thought, when he was able to trip up Kaepernick, in space, short of the 1st down in the 3rd. Just showed me his ability to do things other then rush the passer. Kaepernick is blazing fast too.

I agree with this. I Miller is screwed when an OLman get their hands on him. His weak speed game does not work in the NFL. The only Way Miller is successful is if he can avoid contact and run to the ball carrier. His best role in the NFL is a 4-3 WILL.

Miller was a great rusher in college but his game doesn't translate, see above. I also have to seriously question your knowledge of him if you think he is adept at stopping the run. He is actually quite abysmal.

I'm not sold on Merriman yet, either, but Nix wants to get bigger LBs, and I don't see how Miller qualifies.

I wouldn't trust anything Nix says, I'm not sure even he knows what he is doing.

I myself was very impressed with Herzlich. He is big and strong and would be a great fit inside. On one running play he stepped up and completely stopped Sherrod dead in his tracks and got great arm extension. He didnt make the tackle but he completely blew up the play in the whole. #rd rounder is my hope.

Edited by Thoner7

no way in heck is von miller a 4-3lb in the NFL. 3-4 all the way.

Clay Matthews was 6'3" 240 lbs at the combine - is now listed at 255 lbs

Brian Cushing was 6'3" 243 lbs at the combine - is now listed at 259 lbs

These guys are 21 years old, they're still growing.

Also, endless amounts of NFL-grade HGH. :thumbsup:

On a related note, did you people notice how jacked Tebow looked in his final games of this season? I wouldn't be surprised if he put on 25-30lbs of muscle. Coaches probably realized that if Tebow is going to survive in the NFL as a running QB, he better be able to take 500+ hits a season.

I saw on the Buffalo Range that he weighed in at 6-3, 237. How will he be able to contribute on our defense?

London Fletcher was an undrafted FA don't now what his weight was coming out of college but he is now 5' 10" at 245 lbs what has he done with his career ??

This kid is 6'3" & 237 . I would think with that frame he could put on say 10 to 15 lbs which would put him at say 255 lbs range . With the added height - 5" taller than what Fletcher is - to reask you the question "what might he be able to do for our defense" ??? :doh:

After reading the recaps of the Senior Bowl, and the scouting for the week, and thinking about our team, I believe the best move in this year's draft would be:

1. Quinn, (some other OLB candidate that will be able to get pressure on QB's - a trade down a few spots to land one of these guys would be even better).

2. Phil Taylor - is there an alternative with equal talent who can clog the middle? I think Edwards has now seen what his schemes can look like (sure, vanilla and all things considered) but, it is still so, so, so much easier to run a defense when the NT (3-4) or DT's (4-3) are stopping the running game up the middle all by themselves. In fact, almost all the great Defenses have this quality, and, as much as K. Williams is great, he'll never be able to do this - and we'll have to compensate somehow for that without the big guy.

Rounds 3-4's QB, LB, TE

After that, BPA

Who knows how it will turn out, but, I think if we could stop the run with the big fella, and add some more pressure - then our secondary will be fine - those great secondaries are nice to have, but I think you work out to them from the lines. And, I think we can fix most of our offensive problems in F.A. - like a RT and even a TE. So, go QB in the draft and all D.

Miller is not good at stopping the run and there is no getting around that. This is why I don't see the interest at selecting him at #3.

This team needs to stop the run. There are excellent players to chose from that help with that.

Clay Matthews was 6'3" 240 lbs at the combine - is now listed at 255 lbs

Brian Cushing was 6'3" 243 lbs at the combine - is now listed at 259 lbs

These guys are 21 years old, they're still growing.

Hell, I'm 41 and I'm STILL growing, lol.