Good article by Gaughn on Buddy Nix Today

bananathumb

A trade down so someone else can nab Newton would be very, very sweet. If a new rookie cap is in place, we could actually get quite a package.

With Tom Modrak in charge of scouting, you need more picks because the odds of him making a good selection are so low. We'd be better off with 2 picks in the 20s than the third overall selection because Modrak is not capable of evaluating which of those three players deserves to be taken first anyway.

Instead of a coin flip as to whether the guy we take at 3 will be any good, I'd rather get 2 lotto tickets.

I don't understand this logic. We need an elite QB. If NFL talent evaluators think Cam is an elite prospect then he should be our pick at 3.

Why would it be good to pass on an elite QB prospect and let someone else have him just so we could get a lesser talent and another lower pick?

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not in fundamental disagreement with you, however how many teams (or even message board posters for that matter) thought that we needed a gadget player at #9.

To repeat my point, Bills fans have PTSD after watching them botch draft after draft.

Bill, I'm clueless and sheltered. What the heck is PTSD? Can I make a guess? Is it "posting the same drivel"?

With respect to the opinions of message board posters do you honestly believe that front offices care what the unwashed herd thinks? The Bills have made perplexing picks because their scouting department is less than mediocre. It has little to do with outside influences.

3) I agree Cornell Green was an embarrassing signing. But according to a football rankings site, his play while with Oakland was actually somewhat decent. Obviously that wasn't the case during his time in Buffalo. One possible reason I've seen thrown around for his dramatic drop-off in play was that he might have been playing hurt this year.

Cornell Green was playing on a very bad kneee. When he was released Gailey commented on how he appreciated his effort while being handicapped with that injury.

I don't understand this logic. We need an elite QB. If NFL talent evaluators think Cam is an elite prospect then he should be our pick at 3.

Why would it be good to pass on an elite QB prospect and let someone else have him just so we could get a lesser talent and another lower pick?

I hear what you're saying...And I want a QB as much as anybody...Probably more...But whether or not Newton will be that type of Player is WAY up in the air at this point...WAY, WAY, WAY up in the air... B-)

Buddy Nix could post a billboard in Times Square the 27th (day before the draft) with our player rankings as long as he builds a winner in WNY, I DON'T CARE!! It is ludicrous to get worked up over this minor interview that, for the most part, was common sense to Bills fans everywhere. It evidently comes down to whether or NOT you trust this man with the franchise. Many don't, but I do. Proof will be there for all to see in 2011 and 2012.......

Mark Gaughn quoted Buddy as saying we are definitely drafting for 3-4 defense, we need another QB and "gotta get bigger at linebacker". He says you can't keep changing defensive schemes every year, so they are sticking with the 3-4 (thank god). Says we ended up playing "225-230 pound" linebackers by the end of the season and "gotta get bigger there." Whether it's through free agency or the draft or just counting on merriman, it shows that he knows how the team needs to improve. As far as QB is concerned, says they have been going research on Newton and "have two more months" to answer all the questions about him.

Guys....we WANT people thinking we are going to draft Newton

Dalton is really our guy jmo

I think you under estimate just how bad of a situation Nix and Gailey walked into last year. I also think your expectations of what can be done in those few short months are a little out of whack.

I see no issues with the way they handled Edwards or Lynch.

Seriously??? You have no problems with the the man who won the starting QB position being cut in September? :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

There were two very significant insights to be gained from this article - one related to the next:

1. They're sticking with the 3-4.

2. When asked about the run defense - he talked about the LB's being too small. Not the DL - the LB's.

This pretty much confirms my assessment I've been trying to tell people here for months - THEY AREN'T LOOKING FOR A DL!!!

There are 3 starting DL slots in a 3-4. Kyle Williams is the best player on the D and will have one of them, hopefully everyone here can agree to that?

Their #2 and #3 picks last year were a NT and a DE respectively. Neither of them can play a different position - Carrington is way too big to play LB. Troup is no DE.

You might be ready to give up on them after one year, but I promise you the staff that chose them is not.

Their top FA pickup last year was a former starting DE for the Ravens' 3-4 - Dwan Edwards.

That's FOUR guys that Buddy Nix thinks are starting-caliber talent. There are only 3 slots.

Bottom line: No matter what you think, Buddy Nix doesn't think they need to improve at DL.

He's looking for a monster LB. He's hoping Merriman can come back, and he wants to find the next Patrick Willis in the draft. They also want a big beast pass-rushing OLB who can also contain the edge on the run and not embarrass themselves in coverage.

One thing that is definitely a question-mark - will they keep Poz???

Edited by BobChalmers

Seriously??? You have no problems with the the man who won the starting QB position being cut in September? :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

Do you think this becomes a playoff team if Fitz starts from the beginning?

Was that really the difference between 4-12 and 12-4? Really?

The answer is no. Nix and Gailey needed to do their own evaluations of EVERY player on this team. And even after camp and preseason, you really don't know what you have until they get in the game. Given Gailey's penchant for getting the most out of crappy QBs, I can't fault him for wanting to see what he had in Edwards.

Edwards failed, and they moved on immediately. A lot of other lesser coaches/GMs would have stuck with him even longer.

Blame Edwards for sucking in games. Blame Gailey for wanting to see what he could get out of the kid. But to blame Nix and Gailey for not cutting him during camp is a but much, IMO.

Im not trying to come off like a homer, or a staunch defender of these moves as if they were perfect. But in that same vein, you guys are a little over the top with your hating on the moves, like they had a ton of other choices.

It's a complete rebuild. It takes YEARS. Yet, multiple posters in this thread have said "I know it's too early to judge" and then go on to blast the guy. It's bitching for the sake of bitching right now. Loooong offseason...

I don't at all like the Bills tipping their hand at who or what they'll be drafting. Do the Steelers, Patriots or Packers do this sort of thing????????

Shut up your pie hole already. I'm sure the three clubs I mentioned above will be considering those comments right before the Bills pick in the second round and third round and on and on and on...

If you actually read the whole article you'll see that he is not tipping his hand..He was asked about Newton and he stated they have 2 months to review players..He did state we will draft the most impact player available, regardless of need with the 3rd pick," That impact guy "...That to me does not seem as if he is tipping his hand.. Also maybe he wants to bait a team into thinking he is going to take Newton, maybe he has some inside info that a team behind us wants newton, and maybe he wants them to think were going to take him to develop trade talk.. ya just never know unless your name is Nix...

If you know who you're picking and it's the guy you really want, I'm not sure I see any point to belabor the selection - especially if there's a nice bourbon and branch water waiting for you at the bar. :beer:

So in every round he got the guy he really wanted and that is why he sprinted up to the podium? Every pick? Really?

The answer is no. Nix and Gailey needed to do their own evaluations of EVERY player on this team. And even after camp and preseason, you really don't know what you have until they get in the game. Given Gailey's penchant for getting the most out of crappy QBs, I can't fault him for wanting to see what he had in Edwards.

Edwards failed, and they moved on immediately. A lot of other lesser coaches/GMs would have stuck with him even longer.

Blame Edwards for sucking in games. Blame Gailey for wanting to see what he could get out of the kid. But to blame Nix and Gailey for not cutting him during camp is a but much, IMO.

Im not trying to come off like a homer, or a staunch defender of these moves as if they were perfect. But in that same vein, you guys are a little over the top with your hating on the moves, like they had a ton of other choices.

It's a complete rebuild. It takes YEARS. Yet, multiple posters in this thread have said "I know it's too early to judge" and then go on to blast the guy. It's bitching for the sake of bitching right now. Loooong offseason...

You are a homer. You are a staunch deflector of any criticism.

If he was such a good evaluator of talent, he should have recognized what he had in the QB position. It is after all the most important position on the field.

Green was horrible.

Why switch to a 3-4 when your people are built for a 4-3 and are totally inadequate to play the 3-4?

Did he get a good nights sleep when free agency started?

Stop buying into the "complete rebuild" line. People keeping buying into 3 year rebuilding program after 3 year rebuilding program. I'm done with that. They have to start showing me they know what they are doing.

if every other team was smart, they would do the exact opposite in the draft that the bills do or say they are going to do.

we were the only ones "smart" enough to draft clowns like maybin and whitner and countless other lousy picks

I don't at all like the Bills tipping their hand at who or what they'll be drafting. Do the Steelers, Patriots or Packers do this sort of thing????????

Shut up your pie hole already. I'm sure the three clubs I mentioned above will be considering those comments right before the Bills pick in the second round and third round and on and on and on...

Most teams know the draft tendencies of the other teams in the league already. Nix didnt say anything here the other AFC East teams dont already know.

You are a homer. You are a staunch deflector of any criticism.

If he was such a good evaluator of talent, he should have recognized what he had in the QB position. It is after all the most important position on the field.

Green was horrible.

Why switch to a 3-4 when your people are built for a 4-3 and are totally inadequate to play the 3-4?

Did he get a good nights sleep when free agency started?

Stop buying into the "complete rebuild" line. People keeping buying into 3 year rebuilding program after 3 year rebuilding program. I'm done with that. They have to start showing me they know what they are doing.

Or else what?

Don't bother. Many don't get this part.

Or I will find better things to do with my time and money on Sundays.

Go for it, while youre at it, find another teams board to post on.

This goes back to my point that all of this is simply bitching for bitchings sake. Even the threats are hollow at best.

Am I happy with the way the team has been run for over the past 20 years? NO

Do I think complaining about it will change anything? NO

But you should know that while you are calling me a homer, and making threats against the team, that my family and I actually DID follow through, and after 30+ years gave up our season tickets last year until they prove to us that they are doing something positive. My grandfather, my father, and I have all sunk waaaaay too much money into the team for way too long, especially when contrasted against what we got in return.

You call me a homer because I have some patience and realize that it can't be done over night. Yet, Im the one who actually did something about it. So...

Not at all. I went to plenty of practices at SJF and Trent looked great. Made the throws and had great accuracy. Then put him in a game and he's puking up and glassy eyed. Kudos to Chan for cutting his losses. He thought by coaching up TE he would come around. Didn't happen and he pulled the plug. I'm fine with it.