Packers fan fired from Chicago-area job

What exactly, did the guy do to deserve to get fired? And what grounds does the boss have for firing him? There's absolutely nothing wrong with the guy's professional attire he wore to work.

Ding Ding Ding, we have a winner johnny.

This!

There will be a law suit and out of court settlement for sure on this one. It is against the law, period.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This!

There will be a law suit and out of court settlement for sure on this one. It is against the law, period.

Really??? What law was broken, do you have a link? Since IL is an at-will employment state he can pretty much be fired for anything.

Just fyi...Can an employer terminate me without advance notice or without giving a reason or an unfair reason for the termination?

Yes. Illinois is an "employment at-will" state, meaning that an employer or employee may terminate the relationship at any time, without any reason or cause. The employer, however, cannot discriminate based on race, color, religion, sex, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, age, marital status, physical or mental handicap, military service or unfavorable military discharge. If you wish to locate additional information on the Illinois Department of Human Rights,

From the IL dept of labor website

Edited by IUBillsFan

Thanks Law Professor. Oh wait, no it's not.

But as a happy ending (from the Tribune article), a car dealership near the Wisconsin border immediately offered him a job because "Cesario ..... said his dealership has already received calls from Wisconsin residents who want to buy a car from Stone."

Apparently another dealership already hired this guy. He suffers no loss, get his name and face in the papers, and receives sympathy from people. What a douche.

The most appalling part is him using his grandmother as an excuse. That's like how a 14-yr old thinks before a big exam. Lots of grandmothers seem to die when it's exam time.

I'm sure every one of his co-workers knew he was a Packers fan because I'm certain the game came up for discussion once or twice. I'm just surprised they didn't kick his ass in the parking lot. No need to rub it in.

Edited by gomper

Yeah... I just read that... Was a car dealership in Oak Lawn (South Suburb).

Not for wearing the Packers tie... But for not taking it off.

It was a sales job...

See that is the thing about this rivalry that I never understood... There is like no "buffer zone." GB/WI and CHI/ILL are so damn close... Almost one. When the state of Illinois became a state, it actually used slight of hand to dupe Congress in moving the border between WI terr. and Illinois to where it is today... Farther away from the prime commercial zone at the end of the lake.

At least when we mention the BFLO-MIA rivalry... There is at least some room between the two places. What I am saying is that in the Chicago area--- You see quite a mixing of fans and it seems normal. There are many, many Packer fans in CHI... Coming from BFLO, to me, that is strange. I got used to it because of that non-existant "buffer zone."

Now... I live on the Indiana (Illinana) border... Head into Indiana and you have the Colts begin to dominate the place with a mixing of Bears fans and their stuff.

I never knew that! It sounds lot like the Port Lawrence/Toledo issue. Michigan originally claimed Toledo as its own, Ohio fought it and won and as compensation Michigan was given the U.P. In the end Michigan got the better end of the deal but Michigan wanted control of the Maumee river and a good port for Lake Erie. That is just one small part of the hatred between the two.

The lack of comprehension here is disturbing. The car dealer was doing promotions for the Bears. The sales guy was wearing a Green Bay tie. The manager asked him to remove said tie because it conflicted with the dealership promotions. He didn't remove the tie. He was fired.

Employment in most states is at will. Employers can fire you for any reason besides racial, gender or age reasons. This guy has zero grounds for a law suit. He was asked to remove his tie.. he didn't.. He was fired.. End of story.

Typical boss douche-baggery he should sue for fan based discrimination.

:blink:

What exactly, did the guy do to deserve to get fired? And what grounds does the boss have for firing him? There's absolutely nothing wrong with the guy's professional attire he wore to work.

You guys need to read up on 'at-will' employment laws.

Sure the boss was a dick, but he asked the guy twice, and twice was ignored. Short of giving your boss's wife marital advice, that's about the best way to get yourself fired in a hurry.

See that is the thing about this rivalry that I never understood... There is like no "buffer zone." GB/WI and CHI/ILL are so damn close... Almost one. When the state of Illinois became a state, it actually used slight of hand to dupe Congress in moving the border between WI terr. and Illinois to where it is today... Farther away from the prime commercial zone at the end of the lake.

There's actually a ton of Packers fans in Minnesota too -- many people grow up in Wisconsin and go to the U of M for college, and then just don't leave. The two big schools in the area of U of Minnesota (Twin Cities) and U of Wisconsin (Madison). Twin Cities is big campus, big city life. Madison is party town.

The lack of comprehension here is disturbing. The car dealer was doing promotions for the Bears. The sales guy was wearing a Green Bay tie. The manager asked him to remove said tie because it conflicted with the dealership promotions. He didn't remove the tie. He was fired.

Employment in most states is at will. Employers can fire you for any reason besides racial, gender or age reasons. This guy has zero grounds for a law suit. He was asked to remove his tie.. he didn't.. He was fired.. End of story.

Agree 100% on all counts. He was asked to remove the tie TWICE. I'm sure the owner wants to keep his marketing ties with the Bears, and having a guy wearing a Packers tie could easily put that at risk. What's so hard to understand here people?

Right out of college I started a job and wore a shirt and tie to the first day. My boss looked at me and said, "You're wearing a tie? What, are you trying to show me up? Take it off!" Guess what I did? I took it off. :rolleyes:

and yet the boss noted that it would've been ok with him if the salesman wore the tie a day before the game.

don't cite employment law. cite the law of common sense.

whether or not there's a lawsuit, the dealership in question has lost in the court of public opinion.

jw

and yet the boss noted that it would've been ok with him if the salesman wore the tie a day before the game.

whether or not there's a lawsuit, the dealership in question has lost in the court of public opinion.

jw

For that dealership, the only opinion that matters is that of the Bears fans.

This!

Which law is this against exactly, I was un aware of a law that states you can wear any tie you choose to work law. Unless they have made a equal sports team right to wear clothing law.... As I have never heard of such a law. If you are in a profession that deals with customer service, and image of the company you must follow how they tell you how to dress. If you dont like it quit. or refuse to change and get fired. Plain and simple. and any person voting in the favor of the idiot that does not follow the bosses order is an idiot. If a hooters girl doesn't want to wear the hooters clothing ...they dont work there. No different here.

As someone else stated. It is his right to wear what he wants. It is his employers choice to fire him for it. Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should. Could I jump off a bridge, yes I can, does not make that a good choice. But I can if I want, I just have to suffer the consequences of doing so.

jw

Not if that court is in Chicago. Again, we're talking about a job where the sole skill is to make people like you and trust you. You don't do that by wearing a Packers tie in Chicago. It's just common sense.

The few Steelers fans at our office have been wearing their gear since beating the Ravens last week and they wore their gear a couple years ago after beating Baltimore in the championship game. As heart breaking as those losses were for Ravens fans they were good sports and let them wear the gear. I hope this guy finds another car sales job and runs his old dealership out of business.

Edited by Talley56

Actually, both parties were unprofessional in this case- I think the manager should be fired as well.

Personally, if there wasn't a deal with the bears in place, wearing that tie could actually benefit sales, as it would allow some BS to be exchanged between the salesman and customer

The few Steelers fans at our office have been wearing their gear since beating the Ravens last week and they wore their gear a couple years ago after beating Baltimore in the championship game. As heart breaking as those losses were for Ravens fans they were good sports and let them wear the gear. I hope this guy finds another car sales job and runs his old dealership out of business.

So these employees were going out and meeting clients in steelers gear the day after the game? How many millions of dollars does your company spend sponsoring the Ravens?