Dick Jauron to be DC for Cleveland Browns

BeastMode54

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I hope Jauran the best. He is a decent DC. He just has to have that guy above him to say "no we are not drafting a bunch of DBs and turning them into LBs!!"

buffalo goats!!!!! super lol.

no wonder the browns suck like us. i feel sorry for them like i feel sorry for us

this right here is why bad teams stay bad. didnt they just switch to the 3-4, now back to the 4-3 once they started to get to the point that they had the personnel needed? acquire talent, castoff talent, overpay in draft picks to reacquire new talent, switch back to original scheme, castoff talent

They don't have the talent on defense to play either scheme. It needs an overhaul anyway - who cares if they go back to the 4-3. Their run defense cant be any worse.

I agree with Kelly here.....just because Dick failed as a HC does not mean that he isn't a cracker jack defensive coordinator.....

just like Dave W.

Guys.....your fired head coaches around the league whether they be offensive or defensive were usually a really good coordinator at one time.....who didnt do so well at the next level of the coaching.

When in their field of expertise....they excel

Maybe I missed this, but what exactly qualifies Jauron as a cracker jack defensive coordinator? How many championships has he won as a DC? How many top 5 defenses has he coached? I get that he is a nice guy, has a lot of integrity, works hard and is connected but I'm still trying to find the reason he keeps getting these positions is what is usually a results oriented league.

What part of "Kelsay was extended by new regime" don't you get?

You realize the run defense regressed badly from 2009, correct?

That's not what I saw; the run defense sucked both years, but the pass defense was pretty good in '09 and dreadful in '10.

Pass D in 2009: 14 TDs; 28 INTs; 56.8%; 61.1 QB rating (2nd best in league)

Pass D in 2010: 28 TDs; 11 INTs; 62.2%; 92.6 QB rating (28th in league)

Run D in 2009: 4.7 YPC; 156.3 YPG (30th in NFL)

Run D in 2010: 4.8 YPC; 169.6 YPG (32nd in NFL)

As many have pointed out, Jauron has a fondness for smaller quicker defenders. There is an obvious solution to that: limit his influence on personnel decisions.

What part of "Kelsay was extended by new regime" don't you get?

You realize the run defense regressed badly from 2009, correct?

True, but it's year one of a scheme change. We didn't have the right talent but at least we didn't get pushed around like boys playing men like Jauron's

D did every 4th quarter. I hated that small fast crap and if you are waxing nostalgic you should be loving

Cleveland this year.

Now that it's official, here's a not-so-bold prediction:

First of all, Whitner will be a Brown. They'll pay him close to what he thinks he's worth. Jauron loves the guy and had a big hand in drafting him.

There will be AT LEAST one player-for-player trade between us and the Browns. We need 34 players, and they now need 43 players. Will be intersting to watch...

I'll be shocked...shocked I tell you...if there's no action between the Browns and Bills before and after the draft.

Edited by nodnarb

That's not what I saw; the run defense sucked both years, but the pass defense was pretty good in '09 and dreadful in '10.

Pass D in 2009: 14 TDs; 28 INTs; 56.8%; 61.1 QB rating (2nd best in league)

Pass D in 2010: 28 TDs; 11 INTs; 62.2%; 92.6 QB rating (28th in league)

Run D in 2009: 4.7 YPC; 156.3 YPG (30th in NFL)

Run D in 2010: 4.8 YPC; 169.6 YPG (32nd in NFL)

As many have pointed out, Jauron has a fondness for smaller quicker defenders. There is an obvious solution to that: limit his influence on personnel decisions.

What stat is being used to determine passing ranking? Ranked 3rd overall in passing YPG in 2010.

and I do realize they faced the 2nd least pass attempts per game in the NFL this year.

Edited by Ghost of Rob Johnson

What stat is being used to determine passing ranking? Ranked 3rd overall in passing YPG in 2010.

and I do realize they faced the 2nd least pass attempts per game in the NFL this year.

I'd say opposing passer rating is a pretty good shorthand way of ranking a pass defense. It's obviously flawed, but when you're talking about a 30 point spread, it's obviously measuring something very important.

Now that it's official, here's a not-so-bold prediction:

First of all, Whitner will be a Brown. They'll pay him close to what he thinks he's worth. Jauron loves the guy and had a big hand in drafting him.

There will be AT LEAST one player-for-player trade between us and the Browns. We need 34 players, and they now need 43 players. Will be intersting to watch...

I'll be shocked...shocked I tell you...if there's no action between the Browns and Bills before and after the draft.

Hopefully the CBA is settled so that can happen...

silvermike answered already, but I'll add 2 cents more. QB rating vs your defense is probably the BEST way to use that stat. As many have pointed out, it is a flawed stat for an individual game because of small sample size. And it is somewhat flawed when comparing individual QBs over the course of an entire season for a number of reasons, including (but not limited to) different quality in teammates (and of course guys like Rob Johnson who inflate their rating by running out of bounds behind the line of scrimmage :rolleyes:).

Total yards against is generally a very poor way of judging pass defense. Think about it: if a team stinks against both the run and the pass, a smart opposing coach would mix it up early in the game, build a big lead, and do nothing but hand it off the second half.

One more point: the difference in run defense between this year and last was even less than the final stats show. In both seasons, the Bills finished up with a game against an opponent who had clinched their playoff spot and had nothing to play for. The Colts, who owed nothing to fans at RWS, half-assed it in a snowstorm and finished with less than 30 yards rushing. The Jets in 2010 gave a much better effort in front of their home fans...who pay an ENORMOUS amount for their tickets...and went for well over 200 on the ground (and were playing with a lead the entire game). These two games account for pretty much the entire difference in rushing yards against when comparing 2009 and 2010.

Why would the Bills be interested in the 3-4 guys?

From what I have heard, with Wandestat coming in and with how last season went, the Bills were going to be using the 4-3 as their base defence and basically scrapping the 3-4

We'll most likely be running a hybrid, which is starting to work its way into the league. Focusing too much on a specific scheme when building a team is bad news anyways. But they do have some DLs and LBs we could use regardless.

Most teams dont stay in one base defense the entire game, and run all sorts of different schemes depending on offensive packages. I dont think we'll be scrapping the 3-4, or the 4-3. We just need good ball players.