Wannstedt a Bill

Lou

Great move. I would like him to be def coordinator though.

He effectively IS the D coordinator. By naming him Assistant Head Coach, that means every call goes through him. Basically Edwards oversees the coaching of the defensive players, but we now have a check and balance in place for game planning and play calling.

Yes, the LB Coach part is lower than DC, but Assistant Head Coach trumps everyone except Chan.

We have our NEW DC!!! And he only has a bunch of Championships, Super Bowls and Playoff appearances under his belt!!

Edit: Also, so much for Ralph being too cheap!!

Edited by DrDankenstein

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

He effectively IS the D coordinator. By naming him Assistant Head Coach, that means every call goes through him. Basically Edwards oversees the coaching of the defensive players, but we now have a check and balance in place for game planning and play calling.

Yes, the LB Coach part is lower than DC, but Assistant Head Coach trumps everyone except Chan.

We have our NEW DC!!! And he only has a bunch of Championships, Super Bowls and Playoff appearances under his belt!!

It's a layered backup plan.

You don't put an employee on notice in a high demand position unless you have a replacement ready.

They're giving Edwards a chance to perform, giving him additional assistance with Wanstache and if he still fails they can let him go and the 'Stache can be Do-Co.

I like the move.

Yeah, that settles that age-old argument! :rolleyes:

Great move. I would like him to be def coordinator though.

Something tells me he will be responsible for the overall defensive scheme ala Gailey on Offense. Like Modkins, Edwards may just have the title of coordinator.

I don't think anyone really knows what they discussed but 1) I seriously doubt this, and 2) just because he has the title Assistant Head Coach it doesn't at all mean that everything needs to go through him. Gailey is a straight shooter. He really likes Edwards as his DC (I don't but that's besides the point). There wasn't any way in hell a guy with Wannstedt's pedigree is going to come to any team to be a LB coach, they use the Assistant Head Coach title for his resume, his future jobs, to pay him a little more, and to show him respect. I would bet that he is more of a consultant than anything else, will coach the linebackers, and will help in all phases of the defense (game-planning, etc), with Edwards having final say in everything.

I don't really get a LB coach being an assistant coach. It's like being a project manager at a job, having a VP for a boss but the project manager is also the special assistant to the CEO. It undermineds the VP. Not saying Edwards is the guy, but if that's going to be DW's role, then just get rid of Edwards. Sounds like it's going to be confusing for everyone. I like bringing on someone with experience, but this is just weird (I get it, you almost have to give that title to DW if he's going to join, but still...)

I don't think anyone really knows what they discussed but 1) I seriously doubt this, and 2) just because he has the title Assistant Head Coach it doesn't at all mean that everything needs to go through him. Gailey is a straight shooter. He really likes Edwards as his DC (I don't but that's besides the point). There wasn't any way in hell a guy with Wannstedt's pedigree is going to come to any team to be a LB coach, they use the Assistant Head Coach title for his resume, his future jobs, to pay him a little more, and to show him respect. I would bet that he is more of a consultant than anything else, will coach the linebackers, and will help in all phases of the defense (game-planning, etc), with Edwards having final say in everything.

I disagree. Wannstedt is now the "consultant" by which all defensive planning will probably go through him. An apt comparison is Putin and Medvedev. Medvedev may have the higher title, but everyone knows Putin calls the shots.

Isn't what you are suggesting sort of the set-up that the Bills had with Jerry Gray and Dick LeBeau for a year? Still can't believe we had LeBeau in our grasp...

I wouldn't get too caught up in his job title(s). He may not be making the defensive play calls, but he will be a key part of the gameday planning and overall player development. His experience will be beneficial.

I don't really get a LB coach being an assistant coach. It's like being a project manager at a job, having a VP for a boss but the project manager is also the special assistant to the CEO. It undermineds the VP. Not saying Edwards is the guy, but if that's going to be DW's role, then just get rid of Edwards. Sounds like it's going to be confusing for everyone. I like bringing on someone with experience, but this is just weird (I get it, you almost have to give that title to DW if he's going to join, but still...)

It is odd to me, but it seems more common than you would expect. I have seen quite a few Runningback, quarterback, and dline coaches as assistant HCs.

It is odd to me, but it seems more common than you would expect. I have seen quite a few Runningback, quarterback, and dline coaches as assistant HCs.

Wasn't Elijah Pitts, the Bills running backs coach, Marv Levys' assistant head coach at one time?

Isn't what you are suggesting sort of the set-up that the Bills had with Jerry Gray and Dick LeBeau for a year? Still can't believe we had LeBeau in our grasp...

Exactly. If Wannstedt gets offered a DC position on another team he will take it and it will be a step up from Assistant Head Coach not a step down. A former head coach who was just fired doesn't usually want to sit out a year because he could fall into obscurity. He wants a job, he wants to be respected, he wants a title. This is a good place and title for him in his transition. If Edwards fails, Wannstedt would have an advantage over other candidates but wouldn't automatically assume the job.

He gives us what we need though, some experience as a DC in this league to game plan, design packages/blitzes, etc.

From virtually everything that Gailey has said publicly about Edwards, he's not going to undermine the guy and have him look over his shoulder. Wannstedt himself very likely said I'm not going to step on anyone's shoes because this is a transition job for him (which COULD lead to a DC position if Edwards craps the bed). But Gailey has proven himself in the last year here to not be a guy who blows smoke up people's asses or placates the press. And he is firmly in Edward's camp. This is a lot like the Lebeau hire, IMO.

From my man in Pittsburgh, a walking sports almanac:

"Your defense will be vanilla with 2 deep man under and rare blitzing. But he usually finds badass lineman to get pressure. Lots of pressure on the corners to hold up in man to man."

This sounds EXACTLY like the Jets formula to beat the Pats last weekend...