DRAFT A or DRAFT B

Astrobot

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Astro, is Dareus really rated that high?

I thought I saw a mock (yeah, we all have an opinion) that had Dareus at 20 or so...

No way to CB Peterson at #3. Please God, NO! Reach for a DL or LB instead.

Our Big Board has these as our Top 10 right now, before the Underwear Olympics:

Rnk Player College Ht Wt Position1 Position2 P2Difference RecentChange

1 Nick Fairley Auburn 6'4" 298 DE34 DT43 0 +1

2 Prince Amukamara Nebraska 6'1" 205 CB +1

3 Da'Quan Bowers Clemson 6'4" 278 DE43 DE34 -8 +2

4 Patrick Peterson LSU 6'1" 211 FS CB 0 +2

5 A.J. Green Georgia 6'4" 205 WRF +5

6 Cameron Jordan California 6'4" 285 DE43 DE34 -5 +2

7 Robert Quinn North Carolina 6'5" 268 OLB34 DE43 -7 +2

8 Marcell Dareus Alabama 6'3" 306 DT43 DE34 -52 -4

9 Mark Ingram Alabama 5'10" 215 RBF -2

10 J.J. Watt Wisconsin 6'6" 285 DE34 DE43 -4 +6

Dareus is rated #8 overall. Notice that Bowers drops 8 slots when he's considered as a DE in a 3-4 as opposed to a 4-3. Dareus drops 52 slots (which is too much) when he's considered as a DE34. This is why I'm beginning to change my mind about who the Bills might take. I was in the Dareus camp right away, but I'm willing to say I need to be more open-minded.

Dareus is rated #8 overall. Notice that Bowers drops 8 slots when he's considered as a DE in a 3-4 as opposed to a 4-3. Dareus drops 52 slots (which is too much) when he's considered as a DE34. This is why I'm beginning to change my mind about who the Bills might take. I was in the Dareus camp right away, but I'm willing to say I need to be more open-minded.

What's the story with C Jordan? Seems like he could play DE for us, is he rising recently because we haven't talked much about him. I thought I saw one mock with him going to the Pats* @ 17 I think?

DRAFT A (ALMOST ALL DEFENSE): We need a QB early, but we need to stop the run. Grab D-line pressure early, get mean LB's:

1 3 Buffalo Marcell Dareus DE34 Alabama

2 34 Buffalo Blaine Gabbert QB Missouri

3 68 Buffalo Jeremy Beal OLB34 Oklahoma

4 99 Buffalo Casey Matthews ILB Oregon

4 121 Buffalo Virgil Green TE Nevada

5 130 Buffalo Anthony Gray DT34 Southern Miss

6 164 Buffalo Curt Porter OT Jacksonville State

7 195 Buffalo Mike Blanc DE34 Auburn

DRAFT B (BIG BOARD): Just grab highest-valued player left at our pick (unless already picked that position):

1 3 Buffalo Da'Quan Bowers DE43 Clemson

2 34 Buffalo Martez Wilson ILB Illinois

3 68 Buffalo Christian Ponder QB Florida State

4 99 Buffalo Mike McNeill TE Nebraska

4 121 Buffalo Jarvis Jenkins DT43 Clemson

5 130 Buffalo Lee Ziemba OT Auburn

6 164 Buffalo John Clay RBF Wisconsin

7 195 Buffalo Stanley Havili FB USC

DRAFT C (CONSENSUS DRAFT link

2 34 Buffalo DeMarcus Love RT Arkansas

3 68 Buffalo Jerrell Powe DT34 Mississippi

4 99 Buffalo Luke Stocker TE Tennessee

4 121 Buffalo Wayne Daniels ILB TCU

5 130 Buffalo Casey Matthews ILB Oregon

6 164 Buffalo Scott Tolzien QB Wisconsin

7 195 Buffalo Alex Linnenkohl OC Oregon State

I

I like Draft B or C

Draft C. Ponder is not going to give us anything that Fitz won't. I would take Amukamara over anyone else in this draft.

Matthews will not last that long; after his brothers break out year people know that it is in the family blood.

Edited by jboyst62

Give me draft C but I would prefer a linebacker either OLB or MLB is round 3 we have Troup who was drafted in round 2 last year and Kyle Williams who is a pro-bowler (And we drafted Dareus with Pick 3). There is a more pressing need at linebacker either OLB or MLB. But I love Dareus and like getting a RT in round 2.

I'm not really for or against trading down but a guy like Cam Heyward (6'5" 292) has got close to the same size as Dareus (6"3" 306). What is the difference in the caliber of these guys? I've seen Heyward get handled a few times but I've also seen him do the same thing to other. I cant say I've seen to much of Dareus other than the picksix in last years BCS game.

I'm not really for or against trading down but a guy like Cam Heyward (6'5" 292) has got close to the same size as Dareus (6"3" 306). What is the difference in the caliber of these guys? I've seen Heyward get handled a few times but I've also seen him do the same thing to other. I cant say I've seen to much of Dareus other than the picksix in last years BCS game.

Basically motor & technique questions around Heyward.

Not as many around Dareaus plus Dareaus appears more athletic even at 306.

Plus there is a 5% difference between 292 and 306. When you're talking about the difference between the top 50 college players you're really splitting hairs.

Not to mention that a lot of mocks have Heyward in the 2nd but there is no way that happens. His bloodlines, work ethic and interviews are going to put him in the late 1st (rich get richer) fo' sho'

The mind set that you need to lose to get the best player is foolish and demonstrated well between these two players.

The Bills lose and take Dareaus the Ravens win and take Heyward (to backfill Ngata and Redding incase they lose Ngata because of the 30% rule and the unsure labor situation) the difference between the two players is minute in the big picture. You put Heyward into a winning scheme like the Ravens he has an all pro career. You put Dareaus on the Bills, who is consensus "better" than Heyward, but the Bills can't spell scheme and he has a so-so career. Great thing we lost to get a "better" pick.

Edited by Why So Serious?

I like draft D the best.

2 34 Buffalo DeMarcus Love RT Arkansas

3 68 Buffalo Jeremy Beal OLB Oklahoma

4 99 Buffalo Moffit OG Wisconsin

4 121 Buffalo Wayne Daniels ILB TCU

6 164 Buffalo John Clay RBF Wisconsin

7 195 Buffalo Alex Linnenkohl OC Oregon

Stop Drafting TEs!

We have drafted way too many TEs the last few years. TE through FA is the way to go in 2011.

If I had to pick they're all good but I would like C.

i would be ok with him only if we get an ILB and legit def tackle in free agency.

We need a DT because?

Are you moving Kyle Williams to DE and calling our 2nd rounder last year (Troup) a bust already?

Or are you assuming 4-3? But even then, doesn't Kelsay play DE, and Troup and Williams start in the middle? (With Edwards playing DT?)

Stop Drafting TEs!

We have drafted way too many TEs the last few years. TE through FA is the way to go in 2011.

Oh yes - because all the drafted TE's we're watching kick butt in the playoffs right now were such big mistakes for their teams...

How about we draft one higher than round 4 for once?

Btw - if you look at the NFL draft histories - those of you who argue the value of QB's have seen these lists - there is only one poistion that produces << 50% busts on 1st round picks - TE. Of course, there isn't always a TE viewed as worth taking in the first round - but when one goes, he's almost always been very successful.

We need a DT because?

Are you moving Kyle Williams to DE and calling our 2nd rounder last year (Troup) a bust already?

Or are you assuming 4-3? But even then, doesn't Kelsay play DE, and Troup and Williams start in the middle? (With Edwards playing DT?)

Oh yes - because all the drafted TE's we're watching kick butt in the playoffs right now were such big mistakes for their teams...

Btw - if you look at the NFL draft histories - those of you who argue the value of QB's have seen these lists - there is only one poistion that produces << 50% busts on 1st round picks - TE. Of course, there isn't always a TE viewed as worth taking in the first round - but when one goes, he's almost always been very successful.

Way to add zero value to this thread. This is a draft thread where talk specific whos in the draft.

Not non specific nonsense.

If you dont want Dareaus at #3 what TE do you want at #3?

Clearly I don't mean stop drafting TEs for the entire history of the Bills stop drafting late round do nothing TEs in the 2011 draft.

I'd take Draft A in a heartbeat but there is no way that it would happen. The picks you have in Rds 2-4 will all go at least a round ahead of where you have them (just my opinion). I don't see Gabbert getting past Minnesota at 12, if not Arz at 5. Beal will be gone early in Rd 2 and Mathews will be a 2nd to 3rd rd pick. But I would take that draft in a heartbeat, I love the Dareus pick.....he's who i want assuming that Fairley is gone.

What if his first name was "Peyton"? Would you have a problem with a QB with a first name like that? :doh:

or Gabbert.

What is a Blaine Gabbert? Sounds like a Ryan Leaf.

Blaine Gabbert is a figment of Todd McShay's imagination (and CAAs payola.)

DRAFT A (ALMOST ALL DEFENSE): We need a QB early, but we need to stop the run. Grab D-line pressure early, get mean LB's:

I

I am going to vote for none of the above simply because I would like the OL get some attention in the first 3 rounds. Draft C does but at the expense of LBs. If the first 4 rounds net us 2xOL, 2xLB and DE/DT then I will be thrilled.

IF the idea is to pick from mocks 1,2,or 3

, here is my vote.

And yes,I think Ponder will be good in the NFL.

If we got this group ....

2 34 Buffalo Martez Wilson ILB Illinois

3 68 Buffalo Christian Ponder QB Florida State

4 99 Buffalo Luke Stocker TE Tennessee

4 121 Buffalo Jarvis Jenkins DT43 Clemson

6 164 Buffalo Curt Porter OT Jacksonville State

7 195 Buffalo Mike Blanc DE34 Auburn

We need a DT because?

Tony Hunter?

That said, I would love if the Bills picked Casey Mathews. I think he will be another successful player in his family's bloodline.

I have differences with each one of your drafts but to say that i am any football guru would be ignorant !! I just wonder with Whitner & Florence future unknown & Nix going with the BPA do we thing Peterson could be a consideration ??

Plus having Fitz puts a whole new light on the QB situation and will allow the Bills to concentrate on other areas of the team first unless of coarse a can't miss prospect just falls in our laps .

So to say the least that this years draft should be interesting would be an understatement but one thing you can always be sure of .

When it's all said and done they be a lot of :censored: about the draft picks that are made on this blog no matter who is picked & where !!! :wallbash:

Hey Astro, is Dareus really rated that high?

I thought I saw a mock (yeah, we all have an opinion) that had Dareus at 20 or so...

No way to CB Peterson at #3. Please God, NO! Reach for a DL or LB instead.

Really? Doesn't this seem like the type of thing they've been doing before Nix/Gailey got here? How has that worked out?