Shawne Marrieman

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not a complex, its the truth.

Players will go for one of two things... money or a successful franchise.

We can't run with the big boys in the money game. We'd have to outbid other teams by a mile for big names to come here. If we offer the same money as a team that is either in a better location or is a better team, the player will choose to go there. This is why we basically tend to over pay mediocre players to come here, because that's all we can get.

We need to turn some of our young guys into good guys, and we need to win games in order to attract players. I doubt this off season will be very successful, but hopefully we win some games next year and we can build on that.

Every big name FA, I would contend, is overpayed. Which is why they are allowed to walk away by their former team in a lot of cases. I don't think the Bills have overpaid for a mediocre player to play in B-Lo. Can you give us a for instance? Most of the people they sign, i.e. Davis, Edwards, even Green, were for average money in the grand scheme. At the time they gave Dockery 7 years 49 million most reports that I read at the time considered him a good signing, based on age and ability. That was a big contract.

I agree they need to turn young players into good players. But every team needs to do that. Winning does help, I agree with that as well. The Bills can run with the big boys in the money game because they haven't spent exorbitantly on big ticket players the past few seasons. They have money to spend. Outbidding other team's is the way of free agency. That's how it goes. Bills are in no different a boat than the other teams. The Bears outbid everybody for Peppers. If a team had topped the Bears there is a good chance Peppers would have gone there. It comes down to how much a team wants a particular player. If a team wants a particular player they won't offer the same amount of money as they can get somewhere else. They will leave no doubt in the players mind that they want him.

Merriman wasn't a FA, he was released. We were likley the only team interested. He reinjured himself walking onto the grass.

What actual FA's would be listening to a guy in Merriman's position? What could he be telling them about a team he hasn't played with?

Merriman retweeted a post a little over an hour ago from a guy saying something along the lines of "Shawne get some free agents to come to Buffalo". Shawne replied "they are coming". Know something? He didn't say he'd try or that they will work hard to do so. Just seemed like an odd comment in that he might have already talked to some of his close friends and got some buy in. Doubt it but hey it's the offseason for us....

everyone knows there will be no free agency after this season until a new CBA is agreed upon.

also no rookies will be signed for the same reason.

Why wouldn't the Bills take AJ Green? The Offense would be hella good. Who needs defense when you can score 40 a game

Matt Millen? Is that you?

But if we follow your logic of "blame the inanimate object with the capacity to kill" then we should level all the buildings and lower all the bridges (ie. take the gun away) so the person who decides to jump off won't be hurt.

Or we could cover everything in 3' of Nerf. How fun would that world be?

Merriman wasn't a FA, he was released. We were likley the only team interested.

Are you talking about the interest when he was released or now?

According to ESPN, three teams put a claim in on waivers. Bills got him. You don't know about FA interest in him, because he never hit free agency, but chances are another team would have offered him a similar contract that Bills gave him.

@DraytonFlorence I signed it....now you better re-sign as a bill :)

http://twitter.com/stephenjames716

RT @DraytonFlorence: RT @stephenjames716: @DraytonFlorence I signed it....now you better re-sign as a bill :)

http://twitter.com/shawnemerriman

Twitter has me confused on who is writting to who and who is replying back and etc,but just seen this.

also seen

@DraytonFlorence Dray FLo! You gonna stay in B-Lo? We need you man!

http://twitter.com/TheRudax

@TheRudax ask buddy nix and Ralph Wilson

http://twitter.com/DraytonFlorence

Every big name FA, I would contend, is overpayed. Which is why they are allowed to walk away by their former team in a lot of cases. I don't think the Bills have overpaid for a mediocre player to play in B-Lo. Can you give us a for instance? Most of the people they sign, i.e. Davis, Edwards, even Green, were for average money in the grand scheme. At the time they gave Dockery 7 years 49 million most reports that I read at the time considered him a good signing, based on age and ability. That was a big contract.

I agree they need to turn young players into good players. But every team needs to do that. Winning does help, I agree with that as well. The Bills can run with the big boys in the money game because they haven't spent exorbitantly on big ticket players the past few seasons. They have money to spend. Outbidding other team's is the way of free agency. That's how it goes. Bills are in no different a boat than the other teams. The Bears outbid everybody for Peppers. If a team had topped the Bears there is a good chance Peppers would have gone there. It comes down to how much a team wants a particular player. If a team wants a particular player they won't offer the same amount of money as they can get somewhere else. They will leave no doubt in the players mind that they want him.

Most FA's we have signed played worse here than they played at their previous location... We signed them based on their previous performances. They go bust here, but still get paid big bucks. That, to me, equals overpaid.

We sign the wrong guys, we scout the wrong guys, we draft the wrong guys, etc.