We'll Be Drafting Our Franchise QB This Year

Bangarang

And it won't be in the 1st round. We'll be drafting Christian Ponder in the 2nd round. This is exactly the kind of player that Nix likes. Chan will also be coaching him in the Senior Bowl and will fall in love with this kid.

He has everything you'd look for in a franchise QB. 3 year starter in a pro style offense. Very smart; graduated in 2.5 years w/ a 3.7 GPA and is currently finishing up a graduate degree. Good size and strength with very good athleticism. Strong arm capable of making all the NFL throws with ease. Can read defenses and go through progressions.

His draft stock was hurt because he played through injuries his senior year and has had a couple of surgeries on his throwing arm. However, if our doctors find nothing is structurally wrong with his arm and everything checks out, he's going to be our pick at the top of the 2nd.

Been following him and watching him since last year and this guy just looks like an NFL quarterback. He literally carried resurrected and carried that Florida State team. He just needs to be coached up and who better to do that than our very own Chan?

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And it won't be in the 1st round. We'll be drafting Christian Ponder in the 2nd round. This is exactly the kind of player that Nix likes. Chan will also be coaching him in the Senior Bowl and will fall in love with this kid.

He has everything you'd look for in a franchise QB. 3 year starter in a pro style offense. Very smart; graduated in 2.5 years w/ a 3.7 GPA and is currently finishing up a graduate degree. Good size and strength with very good athleticism. Strong arm capable of making all the NFL throws with ease. Can read defenses and go through progressions.

His draft stock was hurt because he played through injuries his senior year and has had a couple of surgeries on his throwing arm. However, if our doctors find nothing is structurally wrong with his arm and everything checks out, he's going to be our pick at the top of the 2nd.

Been following him and watching him since last year and this guy just looks like an NFL quarterback. He literally carried resurrected and carried that Florida State team. He just needs to be coached up and who better to do that than our very own Chan?

You could well be right about this! Any quarterback taken after the first round is going to represent a significant amount of risk. But if you're going to take that risk, better it be on a guy whose arm recently had surgery than on someone who never showed he could be a good pocket passer. Losman represented the latter kind of risk, and look how he turned out!

I'd be fully on board with using the Bills' second round pick on Ponder. Then he could be left on the bench his rookie year while he learns the offense and while Fitz takes all the snaps.

I don't know if Nix will go for him, but after watching all the FSU games the last few years, I think he will do well in the NFL. He reminds me a bit of Jim Kelly in that he never takes a play off. As soon as he throws or hands off, he looks for someone to hit. Unlike Kelly, he can win with his feet. He runs awfully well for a guy his size and has a good sense of when it's time to slide. The reason we don't know more about him is that he had the worst defense in college football this year. He constantly had to outscore opponents.

Agreed. I said this a few months ago. It's happening.

I haven't seen a single mock where Ponder goes higher than "the big 4" and there are reasons for this. As for me personally, I have seen him play and never walked away saying to myself that he's a future franchise NFL QB. He's a guy who will probably show good at the combine because he has all the physical tools, but to me his play is very average. Round 2 would be reach.

I'm not so sure Ponder is worth our second round pick. I have seen a lot of Florida State games this year, and haven't really been impressed with him. One game in particular in which he "stunk up the joint" was versus NC State. Really was turned off after watching him in that game. I'm not completely dismissing Ponder, but If we were to take him, it better be 4th round or later.

I'm not so sure Ponder is worth our second round pick. I have seen a lot of Florida State games this year, and haven't really been impressed with him. One game in particular in which he "stunk up the joint" was versus NC State. Really was turned off after watching him in that game. I'm not completely dismissing Ponder, but If we were to take him, it better be 4th round or later.

Had he declared last year he would likely have been a first round selection, and as has been mentioned played hurt much of this year. Would be wary of Seminole QBs but I agree Nix may have an interest and have heard before that the Bills scouts really like him.

As much as I realize the neccessity of a real franchise QB, the Bills have no business drafting ANY QB with the defense and the OLine looking like they do. Don't waste a 2nd on a question mark when it could be used on a pillar that this team sorely needs.

If anyone wants detailed info on Ponder, i'll gladly share it. Feel free to PM me. I've been watching him his entire career down here.

His arm troubles palgued him this entire season, from a bruised tricep, to a ruptured bursa sac, to having fluid and blood drained from the elbow. Everyone down here seems to feel that his arm troubles are isolated and will fully heal with an entire offseason to get better. As of now, i don't think the concussion is a concern, because he doesnt have a history of them.

Aside from the physical abilities, he's smart as hell with an amazing work ethic. He's actually working on a second graduate degree down here, as he finished his first masters' a year ago.

any player they take with any pick in the draft is a question mark.

The draft is a crap shoot. If their is a QB they like avaialble, take him. If there is a LB or DE or OT the like better, take him instead.

We have plenty of needs to address.

If anyone wants detailed info on Ponder, i'll gladly share it. Feel free to PM me. I've been watching him his entire career down here.

His arm troubles palgued him this entire season, from a bruised tricep, to a ruptured bursa sac, to having fluid and blood drained from the elbow. Everyone down here seems to feel that his arm troubles are isolated and will fully heal with an entire offseason to get better. As of now, i don't think the concussion is a concern, because he doesnt have a history of them.

Aside from the physical abilities, he's smart as hell with an amazing work ethic. He's actually working on a second graduate degree down here, as he finished his first masters' a year ago.

I remember Jim Kelly having these same issues and his career seemed to go OK.

I have to disagree. Ponder looked completely lost for most of this season. He was hesitant and didnt go through his progressions, really Losman-esq I would say. I also dont this he is that physically gifted in terms of arm strength, mobility, or accuracy. He seems very very average, which is exactly how I would describe Fitz, expect Fitz is a smart gamer who can make his reads.

Ponder also got injured a good amount this year, and Imo it was because he couldnt figure out where to throw the ball and took a sack (again like Losman). Bad QBs take a ton of hits. Its no surprise a guy like Manning can start for 10 straight years and not miss a game – he is good enough to find the open receiver and not take hits.

I struggle to see how he is any type of an upgrade. I also think you over value his draft stock, 4th round, and not with our pick.

Edited by Thoner7

any player they take with any pick in the draft is a question mark.

The draft is a crap shoot. If their is a QB they like avaialble, take him. If there is a LB or DE or OT the like better, take him instead.

We have plenty of needs to address.

I remember Jim Kelly having these same issues and his career seemed to go OK.

That all sounds really great about Kelly, until you come to the realization that he had guys like Wolford, "House" Ballard and Kent Hull blocking for him. This current Bills O-Line does not have that. I think it's safe to say that comparing the 2 is not remotely realistic given the conditions each have played under.

I have to disagree. Ponder looked completely lost for most of this season. He was hesitant and didn’t go through his progressions, really Losman-esq I would say. I also don’t this he is that physically gifted in terms of arm strength, mobility, or accuracy. He seems very very average, which is exactly how I would describe Fitz, expect Fitz is a smart gamer who can make his reads.

Ponder also got injured a good amount this year, and Imo it was because he couldn’t figure out where to throw the ball and took a sack (again like Losman). Bad QBs take a ton of hits. Its no surprise a guy like Manning can start for 10 straight years and not miss a game – he is good enough to find the open receiver and not take hits.

I struggle to see how he is any type of an upgrade. I also think you over value his draft stock, 4th round, and not with our pick.

Agreed. I think that he even got benched for the other FSU QB at one point.