Merriman on WGR this AM

DPR4444

I'm glad he's being positive but talk is cheap. He's got a lot to prove. I hope he heals up good and re-discovers his talent. A lot of players lose their explosiveness due to Achilles injuries. Let's hope it's not the case with Lights Out and that his injury isn't too serious.

He's got an entire offseason to get healthy and train. If he can regain his old form, we're in for an exciting year. I can just see it now, as he turfs Brady.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I keep thinkin', if the Bills are a stock now is the time to buy. Buy low! They are on the upswing and Merriman is definitely gonna help, not only the defense but making this a more attractive place for free agents to investigate.

Agree.. and like he said.. he already is on the phone talking to players and trying to get them to blo.. im sure he will be talking with nix and trying to get some players in buffalo. This could be a very good thing for the team and the city.

Schopp does the afternoon show -- the morning show gang did this interview.

The morning show is far more tolerable than the afternoon show (which I haven't listened to in close to a year). I can't remember the last time an active Bills player interviewed with the afternoon guys -- I'm not sure why they'd want to, since Schopp hates the sport of football and doesn't appreciate the notion of athletic competition.

The morning show guys, though far from brilliant, are decent. Some of the stuff they talk about is inane and silly, but at least they like football and will talk about the actual game. More importantly, they seem like nice guys, which doesn't always make for great talk radio, but at least when you're finished you don't feel the urge to knock all of their front teeth out with your fists (which is how I felt after hearing Mike Schopp, who, next to Rush Limbaugh, is the biggest prick I've ever heard on talk radio).

Did Schopp set him straight and tell him he's an idiot for signing with the Bills?

PTR

WOW! I cant belive that WGR was able to even get an interview with an NFL Player let alone an actual player for The Bills...Plus Merrimen is sort of a big name, or was-Hopefully will be again for The Bills. Nice work WGR...

Agree.. and like he said.. he already is on the phone talking to players and trying to get them to blo.. im sure he will be talking with nix and trying to get some players in buffalo. This could be a very good thing for the team and the city.

Thats what excited me the most from the interview. Said that he may have already started talking to future free agents to come to Buffalo. Good stuff, he sounds like he is really on board.

Hey, everybody. New to posting here, but I am familiar with this site. I have been following the Bills since a couple of years before Kelly got here. I live in Rochester, but my family is from Lancaster, NY.

I was excited when Merriman signed, thinking what could it hurt. If he's healthy, how great that would be. Then he got injured, and I chalked it up to Bills bad luck. But I was glad they went after him. I am glad he decided to sign an extension and give this team a chance. I hope he can recover and be asset to a team in dire need of someone like him. Maybe he realizes no other team would give him this opportunity, and this might be his last chance to prove himself. If he can bring other free agents to Buffalo, to me, that's a bonus.

Anyway, thanks for reading, and I hope to be posting more. Just my two cents.

Hey, everybody. New to posting here, but I am familiar with this site. I have been following the Bills since a couple of years before Kelly got here. I live in Rochester, but my family is from Lancaster, NY.

I was excited when Merriman signed, thinking what could it hurt. If he's healthy, how great that would be. Then he got injured, and I chalked it up to Bills bad luck. But I was glad they went after him. I am glad he decided to sign an extension and give this team a chance. I hope he can recover and be asset to a team in dire need of someone like him. Maybe he realizes no other team would give him this opportunity, and this might be his last chance to prove himself. If he can bring other free agents to Buffalo, to me, that's a bonus.

Anyway, thanks for reading, and I hope to be posting more. Just my two cents.

Welcome! Good post. Just a warning tho, you've used more logic in your first post than most others have ever used in their thousands. That doesn't fly well around here.

It was a good interview. I like his demeanor. Something that's been lacking since the "Good ol Bills". Always plays with a chip on his shoulder. Is a gamer. Watches out for the younger kids. Sounds like he could be a coach in the future...

Thanks for the link John.

You are welcome. His comments about Maybin were spot on. He made the point that being successful in the league is as much as about knowing how to play the game as it is about one's conditioning level. He and Maybin know each other very well. They lived in the same area in Maryland and they have done a lot of training together.

Don't know about the rest of you but I am comforted by the fact that he feels Maybin will be ok...

...once he learns how to play the game of football.

Who'd have thunk it: to be successful in the league you have to know how to play the game as well as be in top condition. Another mystery solved.

GO BILLS!!!

Since Merriman thinks we're going to be good next season, does he need to "just STFU and concentrate on his job"?

Yes, and fans be quiet too until 1 hour prior to kickoff in our opener. No need to talk about football either as a player or a fan. Just focus on taking care of business and getting ready to cheer at the stadium for us and make tackles for him. Any deviation from this focus, any discussion of things, and any entertainment will not be tolerated. :wallbash:

I'm not saying he needs to try to take the division's unfounded smack talk title away from Ryan, but I think it is great to generate some excitement and confidence.

And who are you "quoting" with your "air quotes"?

Don't know about the rest of you but I am comforted by the fact that he feels Maybin will be ok...

...once he learns how to play the game of football.

Who'd have thunk it: to be successful in the league you have to know how to play the game as well as be in top condition. Another mystery solved.

GO BILLS!!!

Maybin only had one year of meaningful college experience. And it certainly showed during his very limited and futile play over the past two years. The Bills were foolish taking a player with such a limited background. It's not going to hurt giving him another opportunity to develop. If it doesn't work out then he gets released. Chalk it up to another bad pick by an incompetent front office.

Thats what excited me the most from the interview. Said that he may have already started talking to future free agents to come to Buffalo. Good stuff, he sounds like he is really on board.

Same here. It's good to see a player like him change his view of Buffalo for the better and then start trying to bring free agents. His efforts definitely can't hurt.

Maybin only had one year of meaningful college experience. And it certainly showed during his very limited and futile play over the past two years. The Bills were foolish taking a player with such a limited background. It's not going to hurt giving him another opportunity to develop. If it doesn't work out then he gets released. Chalk it up to another bad pick by an incompetent front office.

Maybin played for 2 years at PSU. He had 4 sacks his redshirt freshman season, and then the breakout redshirt sophomore season. He was projected to go high in the draft. At some point, the onus is on the player. And from all accounts, it seems he's not putting in the effort, whereas before he was drafted, his work ethic was excellent. Go figure.