Merriman on WGR this AM

DPR4444

Maybin played for 2 years at PSU. He had 4 sacks his redshirt freshman season, and then the breakout redshirt sophomore season. He was projected to go high in the draft. At some point, the onus is on the player. And from all accounts, it seems he's not putting in the effort, whereas before he was drafted, his work ethic was excellent. Go figure.

In his so-called breakout redshirt sophomore season he wasn't even going to start. Two linemen got thrown off the team moving him up to the starting lineup. Even in college his style was very raw and unsophisticated. It was basically predicated on his speed with little attention given to "moves".

The problem with Maybin has little to do with the physical aspect of his effort. It has more to do with his brainpower and ability to understand the game. I never denied that the onus is on the player. That point is obvious. There is little doubt that this is going to be his last opportunity to show that he is capable of playing in this league.

Whether Maybin was projected to go high in the draft does not change the fact that when he was drafted by this clown organization there were plenty of better players on the board. As it stands the Maybin pick was another glaring mistake made by an organization know for consistently making glaring mistakes.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In his so-called breakout redshirt sophomore season he wasn't even going to start. Two linemen got thrown off the team moving him up to the starting lineup. Even in college his style was very raw and unsophisticated. It was basically predicated on his speed with little attention given to "moves".

Who cares how he got onto the field? Brady wouldn't have started had Bledsoe not missed over half the season.

The problem with Maybin has little to do with the physical aspect of his effort. It has more to do with his brainpower and ability to understand the game. I never denied that the onus is on the player. That point is obvious. There is little doubt that this is going to be his last opportunity to show that he is capable of playing in this league.

Whether Maybin was projected to go high in the draft does not change the fact that when he was drafted by this clown organization there were plenty of better players on the board. As it stands the Maybin pick was another glaring mistake made by an organization know for consistently making glaring mistakes.

How do you measure a player's ability to understand the game (you can try to measure his brainpower with the Wonderlic)? Obviously these guys have talent, since they're considered NFL prospects (Maybin was considered a first rounder). So again, why should it be the organization's fault for the player under-performing?

Did anyone hear the Shawn Merriman interview on WGR this morning? I was driving, so I can’t provide a verbatim report, but I am sure it will be on their website soon if not already.

I found him refreshingly honest. He admitted Buffalo was not his first choice when he was cut loose from SD, but that watching the team in the second half convinced him that the team was not far from a winning team. He also said he has faith in Nix in terms of the draft and acquiring talent. (I guess you would expect him to say these things). He will be 100% ready for training camp and seemed to say that the Bills training staff found something that other teams trainers had missed regarding his Achilles.

Asked if he would play with a chip on his shoulder because of the doubts he has heard about his coming back, he stated that he always plays with a chip on his shoulder – so many chips that he should get a Doritos endorsement deal.

The most interesting thing to me was when he was asked if he would get involved with contacting other potential free agents about coming to Buffalo, and he responded to the effect that “What makes you think I haven’t already?”

Get er done Buddy!

Who cares how he got onto the field? Brady wouldn't have started had Bledsoe not missed over half the season.

I don't understand your point about Brady. When he got on the field he demonstrated an ability to play, something that Maybin has not shown.

How do you measure a player's ability to understand the game (you can try to measure his brainpower with the Wonderlic)? Obviously these guys have talent, since they're considered NFL prospects (Maybin was considered a first rounder). So again, why should it be the organization's fault for the player under-performing?

Your staff makes judgments about the performances and abilitiies of college players and how it translates to the professional game. With respect to the Bills their judgment was lacking compared to most other teams. Any way you want to look at the Maybin pick was a bad pick. Not all picks work out. Even very successful franchises make mistakes with their high picks. The best way to judge a franchise is its body of work and its record over an extended period of time. Need I go any further? Or is the obvious not obvious to you?

Edited by JohnC

I don't understand your point about Brady. When he got on the field he demonstrated an ability to play, something that Maybin has not shown.

Maybin showed an ability to play in college, when he got on the field. That is my point. And based off of his redshirt sophomore season, he was considered a first rounder. Brady OTOH wasn't thought highly of in college, despite premier talent around him in college, and wasn't a standout in any particular area, so he slipped to the 6th round. Brady applied himself and got good. Maybin apparently isn't. The fault lies with him since he has top athletic talent.

Your staff makes judgments about the performances and abilitiies of college players and how it translates to the professional game. With respect to the Bills their judgment was lacking compared to most other teams. Any way you want to look at the Maybin pick was a bad pick. Not all picks work out. Even very successful franchises make mistakes with their high picks. The best way to judge a franchise is its body of work and its record over an extended period of time. Need I go any further? Or is the obvious not obvious to you?

Let me guess: it's Ralph's fault. :rolleyes:

We've had several regimes over the past decade. All of them had several high round flops. And outside of Levy for a few years, they had guys picking player who'd had success before. Suffice it to say it's far from "obvious."

Edited by Doc

Maybin showed an ability to play in college, when he got on the field. That is my point. Based off of his redshirt sophomore season, he was considered a first rounder. Brady OTOH wasn't thought highly of in college, so he slipped to the 6th round. Brady applied himself. Maybin apparently isn't.

Have you ever considered that it isn't an issue of applying himself, it is more about not being good enough?

Let me guess: it's Ralph's fault. :rolleyes:

We've had several regimes over the past decade. All of them had several high round flops. And outside of Levy for a few years, they had guys picking player who'd had success before. Suffice it to say it's far from "obvious."

I didn't bring up the issue of the incompetent owner, you did. The Bills have been bad for more than a decade. What is obvious to most people, not you, is that the organization is mediocre. If you don't trust my judgment then just look at the wretched record. It speaks for itself.

Have you ever considered that it isn't an issue of applying himself, it is more about not being good enough?

He was good enough to be considered a first round pick. He did more in his 1 year of college than Clay Matthews, who is the same size but not nearly as athletic, did his entire college career. And all the reports I hear about Maybin say he's not applying himself enough. No one is saying he doesn't have the talent to do it. Merriman said as much.

I didn't bring up the issue of the incompetent owner, you did. The Bills have been bad for more than a decade. What is obvious to most people, not you, is that the organization is mediocre. If you don't trust my judgment then just look at the wretched record. It speaks for itself.

If only it were as simple as a new owner, John.

Yes, and fans be quiet too until 1 hour prior to kickoff in our opener. No need to talk about football either as a player or a fan. Just focus on taking care of business and getting ready to cheer at the stadium for us and make tackles for him. Any deviation from this focus, any discussion of things, and any entertainment will not be tolerated. :wallbash:

I'm not saying he needs to try to take the division's unfounded smack talk title away from Ryan, but I think it is great to generate some excitement and confidence.

And who are you "quoting" with your "air quotes"?

Read the CJ Spiller playoffs thread. And check your sarcasm detector.

He was good enough to be considered a first round pick. He did more in his 1 year of college than Clay Matthews, who is the same size but not nearly as athletic, did his entire college career. And all the reports I hear about Maybin say he's not applying himself enough. No one is saying he doesn't have the talent to do it. Merriman said as much.

Clay Matthews is a better football player. He has better instincts and is more mature as a player and person. I don't care how much Maybin applies himself he will never be the player that Matthews is.

If only it were as simple as a new owner, John.

Getting rid of a liability is a step in the right direction.

Clay Matthews is a better football player. He has better instincts and is more mature as a player and person. I don't care how much Maybin applies himself he will never be the player that Matthews is.

You know the point I'm trying to make, John.

Getting rid of a liability is a step in the right direction.

Ever heard the saying "be careful what you wish for?" Just sayin'.

Shawne Merriman Has Accurately Scouted The Bills

Merriman, on a 4-12 Buffalo team: "They're probably 4 or 5 games away from being a 9-7 or a 10-6 team easily."

(Deadspin).

Funny several ways. At least the roids haven't affected his ability to do the simple math.

You know the point I'm trying to make, John.

Not really. You have a unique ability to befuddle even those who are patient enough to wait for your elusive point.

Ever heard the saying "be careful what you wish for?" Just sayin'.

The Bills are what they are because Ralph is the owner. Getting rid of a liability is addition by subtraction. The less involved he is in the operation the better it is for the operation.

Merriman, on a 4-12 Buffalo team: "They're probably 4 or 5 games away from being a 9-7 or a 10-6 team easily."

(Deadspin).

Funny several ways. At least the roids haven't affected his ability to do the simple math.

When I was listening to it live, I thought he said 4 or 5 guys away from etc.....

but i was driving, and he was on the phone over the radio, so who knows.

(Deadspin).

Good thing he's not trying out for team statistician. And hopefully he gets a better masking agent, like everyone else uses.

Good thing he's not trying out for team statistician. And hopefully he gets a better masking agent, like everyone else uses.

His ligaments and tendons have been ravaged by the huge and unnatural demands placed on them by his abnormal muscle mass. Not sure the juice can save this guy at this point.

His ligaments and tendons have been ravaged by the huge and unnatural demands placed on them by his abnormal muscle mass. Not sure the juice can save this guy at this point.

As opposed to other guys in the NFL with abnormal muscle mass?