Buffalo's 2004 UDFA class

Simon

I saw Tim Anderson playing some, last week, I think, late in the game perhaps.

So he is active now and then...

157907[/snapback]

on that note i would like to mention that one pick i never really understood was our decision to draft angelo crowell last year in the 3rd round. We didnt really need a LB, but we took him and his blazing 4.75 speed(mind you Kelsay runs a 4.72). However he has been good on special teams.

ALso, in the list of UDFA's, dont forget donahoe signed stamer last year.

Contrary to popular belief about 6 or 7 weeks ago, TD has actually done a pretty damn good job putting this team together. Most people wanted to criticize him for drafting Mike Williams at the 4 spot a couple years ago but in essence, that draft class sucked with the exception of about 5 players. TD has really put together a pretty decent team by drafting depth, acquiring FA that start for us and finding UFA's that have ability to play and start at the NFL level. Every one of these players contribute to this team. It's amazing how the tune around here changes when the team rips off a few wins. TD was a good as gone, according to a lot of you and now he's ready to be awarded GM of the year by some. IMO, the guy is and always has been a genius with football players. If he has a fault, it's probably his mistake that he made with Gregg Williams, though, I think GW would have probably had this defense playing as well, the offense would have sucked because GW hired Gilbride. That's what set this team back, not a lack of talent!!

• 2 weeks later...
on that note i would like to mention that one pick i never really understood was our decision to draft angelo crowell last year in the 3rd round.  We didnt really need a LB, but we took him and his blazing 4.75 speed(mind you Kelsay runs a 4.72).  However he has been good on special teams. 

ALso, in the list of UDFA's, dont forget donahoe signed stamer last year.

157959[/snapback]

Crowell hasn't been just good on ST's. He's been great. So has Haggen. Both backup LB's have been prize pupils of Bobby April.

It's the little things that make me believe we have something special going on here. Just a couple more tweeks of certain positions and a little more depth this off-season...and then...thinking good thoughts. :devil:

Yeah but all those good UFA finds just shows what lousy drafters and free agent signers TD and Modrak are because every pick and signing should be an all-pro or you suck.

157905[/snapback]

Totally agree. Either you hit on 100% of your picks or you blow. You should be drafting so well that you don't need to sign any vet FAs!

Some of the kudos should go to the coaching staff for having the courage

to let thes guys play on the field and separate themselves from the

pretenders....

GW& co never had the guts to put the untested players in and handed the

jobs to the undeserving veterans.

This staff is seeing what works and what does not and are making the

adjustments....Look at what is happening at LG, TE, RB on offesne

and FS, CB on the defense.

The staff in the preseason talked about both TH and WM in the backfield

but figured out soon that that was not going to work and chose the switch

when things were not working with TH.

Same with CB....Vincent was injured and McGee did a decent job. The

staff was not afraid to ask a veteran FA to move to FS (without having

to shout in their ear to say X player will play Y position as what we feel

and not the way the player feels) in the interest of the team.

Remember when GW asked Cowart to switch to weakside LB when he was

more comfortable with the ILB job and GW blew the issue way out of

proportion. While on the other side we hardly hear anything about our

current coaching staff......MM is going through his growing pains, but

has minimized the mistakes on game day.

Totally agree. Either you hit on 100% of your picks or you blow. You should be drafting so well that you don't need to sign any vet FAs!

174975[/snapback]

You know, Todd, I think we were WAY too lenient on TD about all those draft picks that didn't become all-pros. Not only should 100% of your draft picks and free agent signings become all-pros or you suck, but NONE of the players that you didn't pick or sign should ever become all pros, because that only means, of course, that you didn't pick or sign an all-pro when you could have and, clearly, should have.

You know, Todd, I think we were WAY too lenient on TD about all those draft picks that didn't become all-pros. Not only should 100% of your draft picks and free agent signings become all-pros or you suck, but NONE of the players that you didn't pick or sign should ever become all pros, because that only means, of course, that you didn't pick or sign an all-pro when you could have and, clearly, should have.

175244[/snapback]

Well, when a GM picks up that many UDFA's, it also means that he had to have been missing on picks in previous years, right? ;-)

JDG

Well, when a GM picks up that many UDFA's, it also means that he had to have been missing on picks in previous years,  right? ;-)

JDG

175956[/snapback]

Maybe, but when that GM has replaced 51 of the 53 players on his roster in a span of 4 years, and is challenging for a playoff spot his 4th year, he's on the right track.