James Starks

ET1062

Awesome game by Starks. Great to see UB represented! He and Namaan looking good from that class. Now I'm gonna throw out an opinion. I like Spiller's potential but this is what bothers me about picking a RB at #9. You see a kid like Starks...a 6th rounder who is literally under your nose at UB and you pass. Then you see a guy like Legarrett Blount for TB who is an UDFA and these are just two example of many RB's who you can get for practically nothing.

Starks is an athletic downhill runner, not alot of wasted movement. He kinda reminds me of a faster Freddie Jackson...gets the ball, makes one cut at most and runs north-south.. I like it!

I like Spiller, but RB's are a dime a dozen anymore.......

Yup.

Starks - undrafted

Fred Jackson - undrafted

NFL rushing champ A. Foster - undrated

Runner up: J. Charles - 3d round

2d runner up: M. Turner - 5th round

Sure there are a number of first round RBs starting around the leauge, but the RB is the easiest piece to find to have a good running game. OL and a QB that has to be respected are far greater priorities.

Yup.

Starks - undrafted

Fred Jackson - undrafted

Sure there are a number of first round RBs starting around the leauge, but the RB is the easiest piece to find to have a good running game. OL and a QB that has to be respected are far greater priorities.

FYI- Starks was a 6th rounder in 2010

Yup.

Starks - undrafted

Fred Jackson - undrafted

Well said! It should be incredibly obvious to Bills fans (especially older ones) who saw OJ languish in mediocrity until a great OL and a decent QB in Fergy propel him to greatness (I won't bring up what brought him down). The RB does need to know how to find and hit the hole, plus have the moves and power for extra yards. However, if the OL is bad, everyone behind them looks that much worse as well.

My theory - the team that controls the trenches, controls the game.

Right you are. But I think the point stands.

And on top of that, think of this...

Spiller is supposed to be like Reggie Bush v2.

Reggie Bush was not getting it done in New Orleans and the Saints wanted to send a 3rd rounder for Lynch.

Spiller is left to replace Lynch.

Spiller < Lynch

4th rounder < Lynch

Spiller < 4th rounder

Of course, this is only this year, after one game.

Drew Willy, Namaan Roosevelt, James Starks…I wonder when we'll see another UB team as talented as the squad Turner Gill assembled.

Seeing them make the NFL makes me both happy and sad. Reminds me of that old Bill Polian line…

To be accurate, prior coach Jim Hofher recruited all but Roosevelt. Here's a little trivia for you: There are 6 UB players signed to NFL teams right now...

DE Trevor Scott - Oakland

C Jamey Richard - Indianapolis

S Mike Newton - Indianapolis

WR Naaman Roosevelt - Buffalo

RB James Starks - Green Bay

QB Drew Willy - NY Jets (futures roster)

CB Davonte Shannon has some NFL draft prospects as well. A golden age for UB football.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

To be accurate, prior coach Jim Hofher recruited all but Roosevelt. Here's a little trivia for you: There are 6 UB players signed to NFL teams right now...

CB Davonte Shannon has some NFL draft prospects as well. A golden age for UB football.

PTR

Is Spiller better than any of these players?

PTR

Wow! They were recruited by Hofher? That's some good recruiting.

Wow! They were recruited by Hofher? That's some good recruiting.

Great recruiter, bad coach. Current UB head coach Jeff Quinn had a dreadful year but he is having the best UB recruiting class ever. I hope he looks better in 2011 because he did some dumb crap last year.

PTR