Did he really say this???

I saw this quote from Poz on the Buffalo web site and am baffled:

“First and foremost, we’ve got to figure out why our run defense was so bad and fix those problems,” linebacker Paul Posluszny said. “Whether it’s personnel – do we need bigger, stronger guys? Scheme – are we lining up right? That’s something I know the coaches will take a closer look at starting now and they’ll have answers for us.”

DOH! Did he really ask if it was scheme and that the coaches will take a closer look at? We had 16 weeks with a sieve of a run defense and now the coaches will look at it? If they could not figure out why we stunk at stopping the run in 16 weeks, then I have no hope that they will figure it out in the off season. We need someone who can watch film and analyze week over week.

He knows the problem: they need bigger, better guys on the DL. He threw in the other comment about the scheme just so it wouldn't sound too much like him calling out certain teammates. It's called being diplomatic.

Exactly. I don't care who your MLB is/are, if you don't have big bodies on the line tying up blockers and keeping them off the LBs, you won't be able to stop the opponents running game.

I saw this quote from Poz on the Buffalo web site and am baffled:

“First and foremost, we’ve got to figure out why our run defense was so bad and fix those problems,” linebacker Paul Posluszny said. “Whether it’s personnel – do we need bigger, stronger guys? Scheme – are we lining up right? That’s something I know the coaches will take a closer look at starting now and they’ll have answers for us.”

DOH! Did he really ask if it was scheme and that the coaches will take a closer look at? We had 16 weeks with a sieve of a run defense and now the coaches will look at it? If they could not figure out why we stunk at stopping the run in 16 weeks, then I have no hope that they will figure it out in the off season. We need someone who can watch film and analyze week over week.

Overreact much?

I'd put the run D problems in this order to fix:

LBs

DEs

Scheme

Poz needs to look only at himself. Outside of KW, our front seven, particularly the LBs wouldn't start for anybody else in the league. They were putrid. And, while he put up decent tackle numbers, Poz was not that good, run OR pass. Our DEs couldn't set an edge if their lives depended on it.

The ONLY untouchable is KW. The rest can go tomorrow and we wouldn't miss a beat.

GO BILLS!!!

He knows the problem: they need bigger, better guys on the DL. He threw in the other comment about the scheme just so it wouldn't sound too much like him calling out certain teammates. It's called being diplomatic.

I but that, but of course he has one pro bowler playing in front of him. Kyle willing is not a space eater who take sup blockers, but a player who sheds blockers and penetrates. That's a good skill, but not for s run stuffer, which is what a nose tackle is supposed to be -- hence Kyle Williams is not the NT we need for a 3-4, but a good tackle in a 4-3. Which scheme did the coaches pick to start the year with?

IMO - a good coach puts the players he has in schemes where they can perform to the best of their abilities and then looks for players to fit the scheme he wants to play.

I but that, but of course he has one pro bowler playing in front of him. Kyle willing is not a space eater who take sup blockers, but a player who sheds blockers and penetrates.

He may be the most proficient penetrator since Willis left.

LBs

DEs

Scheme

Poz needs to look only at himself. Outside of KW, our front seven, particularly the LBs wouldn't start for anybody else in the league. They were putrid. And, while he put up decent tackle numbers, Poz was not that good, run OR pass. Our DEs couldn't set an edge if their lives depended on it.

The ONLY untouchable is KW. The rest can go tomorrow and we wouldn't miss a beat.

GO BILLS!!!

Dunno how you evaluate any of the back 7 if the line is getting blown off the ball.

I had to think on his comment awhile. It was actually a pretty good statement. He did not blame anyone but he knew it didnt work as well. just as the rest of us do.

But he doesnt seem as if he was blaming others. Like a catch all. Is he saying,we all did not play (coaches too) as we need to? i think he includes himself. It was a criticizing the whole team including himself and everyone one around him.

He might be about average ILB who cant cover but he has the right heart and does pursue hard,and i do not see him giving up on effort. His taclkes are almost always Very good (not broken) if he can get hands up on them.

I do read this as blaming everyone, no more or less than himself.

He also must know we are looking to upgrade at His position too with bigger and stronger if we can

my 2 cents.

i still like him. Love the Kyle, but still like Poz

Edited by 3rdand12

LBs

DEs

Scheme

GO BILLS!!!

Nope, the order starts at lack of a true NT or 2 big DTs (for 4-3), THEN the small LBs and safeties.

Nope, the order starts at lack of a true NT or 2 big DTs (for 4-3), THEN the small LBs and safeties.

I might agree if I thought for a second our NT play wasn't adequate. It was more than adequate. KW is more than able to play the position at a high level. If we didn't have a better than average player at the position I would also agree that the old paradigm applies. But my eyes tell me our DEs can't set an edge as we got burned over and over again on rushes to the outside and our LBs were some of the worst I've seen at pursuit angles and containment. They over-pursue to the point of running themselves out of position more often than not and that is amplified when you have DEs that can't hold containment either.

Also, LBs have to be able to shed a block now and then. Ours don't more often than not. And before we go and say that's because you need a huge DT to occupy those blockers to keep them off your LBs, that's not always true. An LB STILL has to be able to fill the hole and he has to shed a block now and then in order to do that. Ours LBs can't do either very well. KW was rarely out of position, he required double teams more often than not, and STILL our LBs couldn't do what they are supposed to do. They are pathetic.

GO BILLS!!!

I might agree if I thought for a second our NT play wasn't adequate. It was more than adequate. KW is more than able to play the position at a high level. If we didn't have a better than average player at the position I would also agree that the old paradigm applies. But my eyes tell me our DEs can't set an edge as we got burned over and over again on rushes to the outside and our LBs were some of the worst I've seen at pursuit angles and containment. They over-pursue to the point of running themselves out of position more often than not and that is amplified when you have DEs that can't hold containment either.

Also, LBs have to be able to shed a block now and then. Ours don't more often than not. And before we go and say that's because you need a huge DT to occupy those blockers to keep them off your LBs, that's not always true. An LB STILL has to be able to fill the hole and he has to shed a block now and then in order to do that. Ours LBs can't do either very well. KW was rarely out of position, he required double teams more often than not, and STILL our LBs couldn't do what they are supposed to do. They are pathetic.

GO BILLS!!!

I don't disagree in general as I've been moaning about our 'backers being arguably the worst in the NFL for some time now. But you also have to consider that Kyle Williams,as good as he is, is not a traditional 2gap Nose and likely never will be. He'll shoot a lot of gaps and blow up a lot of plays, but he'll never be the kind of guy that holds the point of attack and keeps the 'backers clean.