Do you immunize your children?

Beerball

The argument against that study - that I have been seeing this week - is that it's just a conspiracy between the government and the drug companies making billions off vaccines (:lol:) to discredit the vaccine-autism crowd.

Are these from the same people you hear talk about that "they" (whoever they are) have the cure for cancer, but they make too much money off it to let it out of the bag.

My secretary said this once and I said OK, do you have any idea how much money whoever came up with the cure for cancer would make? And, they would sit on it, just so that doctors can make their money? (Not that there will ever be a cure of cancer. It's an umbrella word for many many types of diseases, so I can see a cure for this type of cancer and that, but not for cancer period).

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seriously? I had no idea about that...

i'm guessing you missed the point, which is to get as many people as possible immunized for pertussis, now included in the Tdap vaccine. people usually unquestioningly accept the need for tetanus shots but are generally ignorant to the need for protection from pertussis. this is a strategy around that problem.

i'm guessing you missed the point, which is to get as many people as possible immunized for pertussis, now included in the Tdap vaccine. people usually unquestioningly accept the need for tetanus shots but are generally ignorant to the need for protection from pertussis. this is a strategy around that problem.

Which is understandable... People know of the danger of lockjaw... But whooping cough is not on evedrybody's radar... Especially as an adult.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

I get your point, but I'm hard-pressed at the moment to think of anything stupider than homeopathy.

The War on Drugs?

Gets bonus points because it is governments being stupid, rather than just your normal loons. (Kind of like professional morons vs amateurs)

Edited by Britbillsfan

Are these from the same people you hear talk about that "they" (whoever they are) have the cure for cancer, but they make too much money off it to let it out of the bag.

Yep.

Hey, I frequent conspiracy theory sites. Plumbing the depths of human stupidity is kind-of a hobby of mine, I guess.

The War on Drugs?

Gets bonus points because it is governments being stupid, rather than just your normal loons. (Kind of like professional morons vs amateurs)

No, homeopathy is still stupider.

• 7 months later...

Update

across Florida, the number of kindergarten students receiving "religious exemptions" to avoid state-required immunizations continues to rise, increasing nearly 12-fold since 1991. Experts believe the real objection often is not religion, but fear of rumored vaccine adverse effects.

Interesting that you resurrected this thread. I was just talking to a friend about vaccines this morning. Our daughter had her first shots (2 months old), and all of these anti-vaccine websites really put a scare into my wife and me. Glad to know the science behind the autism study was debunked.

Congratulations! My little girl is two months also. She's had her first round of shots too.

The anti-vaccine people are absolute nutcakes.

Another reason not to live in Florida.

I wonder if that drop is typical throughout the country? Do all states allow parents to opt out for 'religious' reasons?

(religious is in '' not because I am denigrating or espousing religious beliefs, but, because the article suggests that the downturn in vaccinations is due to the autism supposition)

What's really scary about the whole vaccine scare is that intelligent, well educated people have bought into the fear. If you look at who forgoes vaccination there are a lot of folks from higher income, highly educated backgrounds who refuse to get their kids the shots. You can show the scientific studies showing it is safe and these same intelligent people will disregard evidence and go with the gut fear that has been created and will live in perpetuity on the Internet - absolutely crazy.

This could become a real problem down the road as much of warding off an epidemic within a population involves having a critical mass of people being vaccinated. Some people may come down with measles but as long as a certain threshold is vaccinated it will not blow up to an epidemic. I'm in my 40s and we now know that some of the vaccinations I got when I was a kid no longer protect me from some of these things - I don't worry because my chances of coming into contact with these things is very low. If vaccination rates fall and more and more people like myself get exposed it could get ugly. I really don't want to get sick because people allowed disases to spread by not vaccinating their kids.

What's really scary about the whole vaccine scare is that intelligent, well educated people have bought into the fear. If you look at who forgoes vaccination there are a lot of folks from higher income, highly educated backgrounds who refuse to get their kids the shots. You can show the scientific studies showing it is safe and these same intelligent people will disregard evidence and go with the gut fear that has been created and will live in perpetuity on the Internet - absolutely crazy.

This could become a real problem down the road as much of warding off an epidemic within a population involves having a critical mass of people being vaccinated. Some people may come down with measles but as long as a certain threshold is vaccinated it will not blow up to an epidemic. I'm in my 40s and we now know that some of the vaccinations I got when I was a kid no longer protect me from some of these things - I don't worry because my chances of coming into contact with these things is very low. If vaccination rates fall and more and more people like myself get exposed it could get ugly. I really don't want to get sick because people allowed disases to spread by not vaccinating their kids.

Well said.

The future is a scary place. A very different kind of critical mass seems to be gathering. A critical mass of idiocy, comprised of a growing number of people who reject sound science and facts in favor of fear and dogma. A critical ASS, if you will.

Congrats to you, as well!

My daughter had a slight fever and was sluggish for a few days after her shots, and my wife started having second thoughts. My response to her was that that was a lot better than if in a few months, our child came down with polio or whooping cough.

Just seems like the pros outweigh the cons, especially when one of the cons (autism link) has now been debunked.

Normal reaction to a vaccination. The last three times I had a vaccination (two tetanus, one measles), I was mildly ill for at least a day afterwards.

In fact, it's a good reaction. If your daughter wasn't slightly ill from the shot, it would have meant that her immune system wasn't working right.

Well said.

The future is a scary place. A very different kind of critical mass seems to be gathering. A critical mass of idiocy, comprised of a growing number of people who reject sound science and facts in favor of fear and dogma. A critical ASS, if you will.

"The years passed, mankind became stupider at a frightening rate. Some had high hopes the genetic engineering would correct this trend in evolution, but sadly the greatest minds and resources where focused on conquering hair loss and prolonging erections."

The Idiocracy Quotes seem so relevant to this thread!

"The years passed, mankind became stupider at a frightening rate. Some had high hopes the genetic engineering would correct this trend in evolution, but sadly the greatest minds and resources where focused on conquering hair loss and prolonging erections."

The Idiocracy Quotes seem so relevant to this thread! the majority of Americans.

Fixed.

Yes we immunize our children.

The Idiocracy Quotes seem so relevant to this thread!

One of my favorite movies of all times.

I also thought about that quote while reading about the critical drug shortages that exist for some drugs - some people can't get cancer drugs because the manufacturer has slowed down or stopped. If you need to fight mild pain or are feeling a little depressed you have about 100 drugs you can get - have pancreatic cancer? Not so much......... This is why I don't think the free market takes care of everything all of the time........

I agree also. Yet, there is one way to protect yourself... Can't we get vaccinated again? I was born in 1968... Never got my second MMR shot since before that I was diagnosed with JRA.