As Easterbrook says - Fortune Favors the Bold!

TH3

Just reading through the various Mallet/Newton/Luck threads...I kind of look at the big picture. Since Luck is not an option (if Carolina doesn't pick him they should be immediately mercy killed)...we are lucky enough to be looking at the best crop of QB's since JK came out - and people want to act smart and nitpick. It is so much easier to find why things won't work than why they will.

Cam Newton - Are people friggin kidding me? First off - he bought the laptop not stole it - as far as him being a student - the guy is not a student - he is a pro football player. Has anyone made more plays in a bigger conference in bigger games than him? All he does is MAKE PLAYS...isn't that what you want? Dashaun Jackson (certified malcontent) MAKES plays, Bruce Smith MADE PLAYS, Cornelius Bennet MADE PLAYS (both lawbreakers of the worst kind) BR, MV MAKE PLAYS.... all the great guys MAKE PLAYS, CN MAKES PLAYS every freaking drive!!! and idiots like shoop want to talk about his laptop and personal issues.....sheesh.

Mallet - Guy has been blue chip since he was in grade school. Check his stats this year with the receivers you saw last night - what is his passer rating in the SEC - what about 170 or something ridiculous? 6-7 and can make every throw - probably better than anyone in the NFL - gee compare his college career to Fitz!!! and people think Fitz is a better answer?!?! No - but he sometimes looks goofy on the sidelines....oh and he threw a pick!! Holy Cow if people want to extrapolate a career from ONE play take the 35 good ones he made last night instead of the one bad one. Again - seriously - compare him to Fitz?!!

Look at the teams that made the BOLD move to get a Blue Chip QB - let's see Jets,Chargers,Giants, St. Louis, Eagles, ....just name the teams in the playoffs...

I guess my point is - let's not think too hard...the answers are right in front of our face - get one of these guys - they won't last past the 15th pick.

Edited by baskin

I tend to agree with you...who is coming up next year that is as good or better than these guys? Will we be in the top 5 draft position again next year? Not sure we can pass on either of these guys, they don't come around often and you aren't always in the draft position we are this year.

PM didn't exactly lead his team to double digit wins right off the bat.

..."Manning was certainly a bright spot in 1998 for the Colts, but he also threw a league high 28 interceptions as the team struggled to a 3–13 record, with a defense that surrendered more than 27 points per game. The Colts lost many close games, including five games in which they had led by double-digits at some point."

all heath shuler did was make plays. the guy was a stud. IS a stud. where is he? someone wake nix up to sign heath shuler. and robbie bosco. that guy made plays. yes, he was probably mormon. GET OVER IT! irrational faith (and what is faith if not irrationality) it has no bearing on his ability to read defenses. there are entire towns that worship him. The bills haven't shown any balls in years. the only solution is to go shuler, bosco in Fa and the best available TE at 3. doesn't matter if they don't go to harvard. grow a beard. get a wonderlic. i want some horses. not some damn pony like they use in mexico.

pretty sure Cam stole the laptop. It wouldn't keep me from selecting him in the draft, but the other things ("dad" taking money, cheating on exams @ UF) might make me think thrice about it.

My take - the kid has been a pro football player since age 18 - couldn't care less if he does for our Bills what he does for Auburn. I am Jim Kelly's age - and believe me - he was the Ben R. (off field) of his time...you know of course what Cornelius Bennet did right? Bruce Smith....if we had the same thought process to selecting them - we would not have made it to 4 SB's....remember these guys are mostly dirt poor and 18-21 - the NCAA makes millions off them and expects them to relish the "opportunity" to make the NCAA, school and coach millions while they can't even get pizza money....

Just reading through the various Mallet/Newton/Luck threads...I kind of look at the big picture. Since Luck is not an option (if Carolina doesn't pick him they should be immediately mercy killed)...we are lucky enough to be looking at the best crop of QB's since JK came out - and people want to act smart and nitpick. It is so much easier to find why things won't work than why they will.

Cam Newton - Are people friggin kidding me? First off - he bought the laptop not stole it - as far as him being a student - the guy is not a student - he is a pro football player. Has anyone made more plays in a bigger conference in bigger games than him? All he does is MAKE PLAYS...isn't that what you want? Dashaun Jackson (certified malcontent) MAKES plays, Bruce Smith MADE PLAYS, Cornelius Bennet MADE PLAYS (both lawbreakers of the worst kind) BR, MV MAKE PLAYS.... all the great guys MAKE PLAYS, CN MAKES PLAYS every freaking drive!!! and idiots like shoop want to talk about his laptop and personal issues.....sheesh.

Mallet - Guy has been blue chip since he was in grade school. Check his stats this year with the receivers you saw last night - what is his passer rating in the SEC - what about 170 or something ridiculous? 6-7 and can make every throw - probably better than anyone in the NFL - gee compare his college career to Fitz!!! and people think Fitz is a better answer?!?! No - but he sometimes looks goofy on the sidelines....oh and he threw a pick!! Holy Cow if people want to extrapolate a career from ONE play take the 35 good ones he made last night instead of the one bad one. Again - seriously - compare him to Fitz?!!

Look at the teams that made the BOLD move to get a Blue Chip QB - let's see Jets,Chargers,Giants, St. Louis, Eagles, ....just name the teams in the playoffs...

I guess my point is - let's not think too hard...the answers are right in front of our face - get one of these guys - they won't last past the 15th pick.

A very exceptional post. There comes a time when a franchise has to be bold and think big. Fitz would be a good bridge qb for Newton. There is no doubt that Mallett has a very impressive arm, but his lack of mobility has me very worried about his survivial behind our OL. What made Fitz relatively successful this year was his mobility and to make plays on the move. Mallett doesn't have that extra dimension to extend plays.

If I were making the selection I would take Newton, assuming Luck was off the board.

There is no doubt that Mallett has a very impressive arm, but his lack of mobility has me very worried about his survivial behind our OL. What made Fitz relatively successful this year was his mobility and to make plays on the move. Mallett doesn't have that extra dimension to extend plays.

He's a statue. I see Drew Bledsoe, only taller.

I tend to agree with you...who is coming up next year that is as good or better than these guys? Will we be in the top 5 draft position again next year? Not sure we can pass on either of these guys, they don't come around often and you aren't always in the draft position we are this year.

PM didn't exactly lead his team to double digit wins right off the bat.

..."Manning was certainly a bright spot in 1998 for the Colts, but he also threw a league high 28 interceptions as the team struggled to a 3–13 record, with a defense that surrendered more than 27 points per game. The Colts lost many close games, including five games in which they had led by double-digits at some point."

That, for me, is the proper way to look at a draft. It's tough to just say we need to draft for defense now and get a QB next year. Who's coming out next year? And will we be in a position to draft him? As I thought about the draft last year, I was content with not picking a QB high, because other than Tebow none of them looked like world beaters. So, I figured they were waiting a year. This seems to be the year to get a future franchise QB. There are several prospects and we're in a position to get one. And we need one.

I like Fitz. He played pretty good. But, you just can't pass up a future franchise guy, if you think he's there. The beauty of Fitz's play is he gives you confidence that he can start for a couple of years while your future sits and learns the game. Essentially, we don't have to draft a QB and start him as a rookie. But, sooner or later you do need to draft him. Is this the best year to draft one, or is next year or the year after the year? I don't know, but I would hope Nix does.

you have to look at newton's off the field problems and see if he can overcome the problems. has he shown violence? not that i have heard. does he have a drug problem? not that i have heard. he stole a laptop and cheated on a paper. these things happened at florida two years back so it seems that he has put the stupid actions behind him. now the only questions should be if he can read an nfl defense. last night you saw pryor barely throw a pass in the second half and simply use his legs to win the game...not gonna happen in the nfl. from when i have watched newton he uses his legs but will for the throw first and also can fake the run great allowing his wr's to get open...this can be effective in the nfl.

My take - the kid has been a pro football player since age 18 - couldn't care less if he does for our Bills what he does for Auburn. I am Jim Kelly's age - and believe me - he was the Ben R. (off field) of his time...you know of course what Cornelius Bennet did right? Bruce Smith....if we had the same thought process to selecting them - we would not have made it to 4 SB's....remember these guys are mostly dirt poor and 18-21 - the NCAA makes millions off them and expects them to relish the "opportunity" to make the NCAA, school and coach millions while they can't even get pizza money....

Do tell, do tell.

You're really buying this argument? They get a sweet ass meal card that serves up glorious food from such gourmet providers as Sodexho. UMMMMMMM. But seriously, don't buy the woe is me argument these guys are spouting. They get many more perks than the avg student while being asked to play a game in return.

Do tell, do tell.

You're really buying this argument? They get a sweet ass meal card that serves up glorious food from such gourmet providers as Sodexho. UMMMMMMM. But seriously, don't buy the woe is me argument these guys are spouting. They get many more perks than the avg student while being asked to play a game in return.

Wanna Know? JK did almost the same thing BR did to that girl to one of my friends - only she got out of it - and she was hardly alone...Dude was legendary...Cornelius Bennett raped a girl anally and she had to be stitched up - remember he went to jail.

SHould have cut those guys right? - those 88-94 teams were OOC - but back in the day they were untouchable

Wanna Know? JK did almost the same thing BR did to that girl to one of my friends - only she got out of it - and she was hardly alone...Dude was legendary...Cornelius Bennett raped a girl anally and she had to be stitched up - remember he went to jail.

SHould have cut those guys right? - those 88-94 teams were OOC - but back in the day they were untouchable

It's ridiculous sometimes to see the moral soapboxes these posters stand on... as if to say that everyone on the Bills right now is a choirboy.

If his character checks out (and that's a big if) and if background checks don't reveal anything significant (that's also a big if) this team would be stupid to pass on Can Newton. If we can spend the #8 pick on Donte Whitner, we can certainly spend the #3 pick on Newton. At least Newton has NFL playmaking ability.