Am I taking crazy pills?

Dorkington

:w00t: We need to draft the hungry defensive end or linebacker in the draft (Just look at what Clay Matthews does for the entire Green Bay team). If our defense stopped the run and/or threatened passing quarterbacks then our entire team gets better.

So, keep your sanity ... this is only the first year of the turn around with Gailey. I am happy with the trip so far but this offseason, which might last until 2012, is when we see how he and Nix mold the team

+1

Edited by Speedy G

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Please understand, that I'm not saying Fitzpatrick is our guy for life.

I am saying that we have more pressing needs this year than QB. Next year, or the year after, I'm all for getting our franchise guy after we build up a solid team around the position.

draft a QB and take time to develope him. Let Fitz humbly run the first half of the season.

IF the team is 4-4 or better let him ride. If the team is under .500 and doing poorly , you put the rook in.

FITZ AINT THE GUY!!!

Wo else is out there as a FA QB to sign? No one!!!

McNabb? sorry no. Favre, sorry no. Derick Anderson? sorry no.

As for Sanchez and the NYETS .... he's another Pennington. He's OK but won't ever be an elite. The NYETS defense has helped win more games than the offense.

Its time to blow this thing up and start over. There are a lot of players who need to go and Ryan Fitzpatrick is not the answer long term at QB.

We've been blowing things up for 14 years. It's time to take what we have good and build on that. We'll constantly be rebuilding otherwise.

Unless Luck is available, let's draft some defensive studs in the first two rounds. Then a TE. Those are our immediate needs.

Fitz will take the team to the playoffs with those elements in place.

I think people are calling for a QB because they harken back to what Ralph said earlier this year: QB will be a priority in the New Year. Since Ralph made that statement, Fitz has played better, but he hasn't gotten Ralph's vote of confidence, which will ultimately dictate who and when the Bills will target a QB.

Poz will be a Bill next year. It is Whitner who I believe will be looking for a new home next year.

True, but Sanchez and Big Ben were brought into teams with good defenses that made up for the learning curve. Both made it to the Conference Finals their first year. It can be done many ways.

If you have a good defense you will always be in the game, if your defense is poor then it makes very little difference who the QB is.

If your run defense is poor, you are doomed. (2010 Bills last in the league)

I suggest spending resources where the need is greatest (i.e. where the team is weakest) Last in the league in run defense is where I feel the Bills should start allocating resources (draft picks, trades or top free agents)

The most logical step to improve the team the fastest is to improve the run defense. This has to be done on the defensive line first and then the linebackers. All the talk about drafting a QB with the #3 pick is misguided. The Bills QB was not last in the league or even close. The team is only as strong as its weakest link: run defense. This is the most critical need. (there are many more)

More or less the way it goes with every conference call.

Oh...and Whitner and Poz are FAR from "solid" players.

You are 100% about the conference calls! I work at home and my wife is home until my 4 year old goes to school next year. She finds it funny how I vent to her now that I am here and I tell her all the time "I work with mindless people who have no clue!"

For example on a recent call, Bob (idiot #1 in sales) "I like the 21% profit you have been getting from this project and would like to keep that with the new contract. I am going to reduce the new bid to only 75% of our current price to make sure we can continue making 21%." So, let me get this straight, I currently make 21% off a 12 million dollar annual contract and you want me to do the same work for 9 million and still make 21%! I sure hope we find some efficiency gains some where you idiot! By the way Bob, did you ever think of running for political office you are perfect.

As for TSW...there are some original thoughts and the Bills should monitor the sight and use it like a brain storming session no bad ideas just keep them coming.

Seems I disagree with the overwhelming majority on a couple things.

Everyone seems to be screaming for a QB with our first pick to replace Fitzpatrick with.

Me: How does one expect a young QB to develop and be successful with no offensive line, no tight end and a poor group of receivers? Not to mention, playing from behind as we currently have no defense.

Everyone seems to be screaming to ditch Poz, Whitner and a couple other guys.

Me: Why would we automatically ditch our solid players vs ditching our worse players? Why would you replace solid players with draft picks, other solid FAs, instead of replacing bad players with FA's/Draft Picks? Shouldn't we keep our solid guys, and get better guys to put in front of them/around them? Isn't depth important in the NFL?

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

Not everyone Dorkington.....

This is the time of year when everyone wants a nice shiny new toy.....sleek and beautiful in design. They dont want a boring old teddy bear which is what we should be asking for.

:blink:

I agree in principal with the original poster. Dumping talent is dumb unless you have someone better to replace them.

Whitner is better than people give him credit for because they are still pissed we didn't draft Ngata. That being said he isn't anything special on the field but a solid player and a guy who publicly says he wants to win and wanted to stay in Buffalo. Believe it or not those guys don't grow on trees. Free agents aren't beating down Buffalo's door for an opportunity to play. Whitner will probably not be missed at all.

Poz, I don't know what it is with the love affair that many have with this guy. He is a solid player but he gets hurt almost every year, doesn't have sideline to sideline speed to play the middle and can't cover a TE to save his life. Look back at all the TE scores or big plays on the Bills this year. Often that TE was Poz's coverage responsibility. Even more damning is that in my opinion he has been outplayed every year by the guy he replaced, London Fletcher. Anyone remember all the complaints about Fletcher? Led the team in tackles, supposedly all were downfield after significant gains by the RB, etc? Sound like anyone whose name ends in "luzny"?

Fitz at QB isn't our biggest problem. Give the guy some credit. He was held behind Trent Edwards who we tried to show case for the first 4 weeks to get some trade value and missed out on starter reps in training camp and preseason when it counted. THAT being said, if Luck falls to us which he won't, you take him!

Barring something that ridiculously "lucky" we get guys on defense. We get DT that can hold up against the run so we can actually run the 3 - 4. We get DE/LB that can rush the passer, hold the edge in the run game and stay in position on the backside to cover the cutback run. We get LBs with sideline to sideline speed and the ability to cover TEs.

The offense just needs time for already acquired talent to develop. WR will be one of our strengths when everyone is healthy. RB is set. All we need, STILL, is for the oline to gel and for the love of all that is football get us a freaking RT. Maybe that is Wang who was injured for months. I know the idea isn't popular and doesn't come with any guarantee of success but get us a really good LT and move Bell to RT ...IF AND ONLY IF HE IS CAPABLE OF IT.

It has become apparent to me that the improvements that I thought the o-line made might largely be attributable to Fitz calling out the protections, helping the line to make calls, running the right plays and getting rid of the ball. Fitz had us forgetting about the offensive line for a while but I am reminded of the first games with Trent, the game with Fitz hurt and then Brohm. A good line is a good line regardless of who is behind center. We don't have a good line yet.

Well said.

If Luck really is the once in a lifetime guy, and the Bills believe that, then get him. Otherwise stick with Fitz, maybe kick back a few spots in the draft and pick up another pick or two and get some bodies in here.

Our needs go much farther than QB, we need: LB's, DL, O-Tackle, TE, CB, Safety, WR. Why get rid of Poz and Whitner and make more holes, our d-line is pathetic. Do we even have a TE on this roster?? Corner may be less of a problem. if Whitner goes we need a safety. A proven WR might no hurt (not highest priority). As far as I can tell, we don't have enough draft picks to fill these needs. We are going to need to be very active in FA, get some GOOD players (not Walker, Dockery or Green), and SPEND SOME MONEY!

We need more than just QB and I can't see spending the money or high pick on just one guy. Move back a few picks, and spread that money over a few guys who can help.

Oh, and a new defensive coordinator would not hurt.

Everyone seems to be screaming for a QB with our first pick to replace Fitzpatrick with.

Me: How does one expect a young QB to develop and be successful with no offensive line, no tight end and a poor group of receivers? Not to mention, playing from behind as we currently have no defense.

Me: Why would we automatically ditch our solid players vs ditching our worse players? Why would you replace solid players with draft picks, other solid FAs, instead of replacing bad players with FA's/Draft Picks? Shouldn't we keep our solid guys, and get better guys to put in front of them/around them? Isn't depth important in the NFL?

You're not nuts, but you'll be treated that way by a certain segment around here (many of whom are nuts).

The Bills have so many holes to fix that getting rid of adequate players (Poz and Whitner in your example)is not likely unless, as in the case of Whitner, the price to keep them is too high as this would simply increase the number of holes to fill.

I think this is exactly what Nixley did this year. They kept players they estimated were "good enough" and -- except for the puzzling Spiller pick -- their draft choices and free agent signings showed where they believed the Bills were weakest (Even the Spiller pick could have been based on their view of a weakness if they didn't really believe in either Lynch or Jackson going into the season). The one area in which they clearly succeeded was WR. Injuries skewed the impact of the draft and FA signings so it's unclear if, say, Wang, Urbik, Davis or Edwards would have made a big difference in the record.

Going into next season, if Batten turns out to be anywhere near the hype, if Merriman regains form, if the rest of the nicked and injured guys are back, then the LB corps will be better, maybe a lot better. Another big IF: Shawne Nelson. If he gets his migraines under control, he has the talent to be very good, which would lessen the need to spend time and money on yet another TE.

Bottom line, you don't get rid of guys, no matter how inadequate we think they are, unless you can replace them with someone better.

If you have a good defense you will always be in the game, if your defense is poor then it makes very little difference who the QB is.

I suggest spending resources where the need is greatest (i.e. where the team is weakest) Last in the league in run defense is where I feel the Bills should start allocating resources (draft picks, trades or top free agents)

The most logical step to improve the team the fastest is to improve the run defense. This has to be done on the defensive line first and then the linebackers. All the talk about drafting a QB with the #3 pick is misguided. The Bills QB was not last in the league or even close. The team is only as strong as its weakest link: run defense. This is the most critical need. (there are many more)

Ahmen brother!!!

People want a good quarterback because we don't have one, and people notice that the teams that have elite quarterbacks tend to win the Super Bowl every single year, and compete for championships year in and year out.

People think that competing for championships year in and year out is better than rebuilding to 7-9 with a journeyman bottom-third-of-the-league guy manning the absolute most important position in all organized sports.

Exactly. Not a 3rd rounder, not a 2nd rounder we trade back into the 1st round to get. Not a scrubbini journeyman. Get a legit top of the 1st rounder. If Luck isn't there, look at Gabbert. If he's not the guy, wait until next year, when we will undoubtedly suck again and be in the top 5.

nope...you just don't fall into the groupthink trap.

"During groupthink, members of the group avoid promoting viewpoints outside the comfort zone of consensus thinking. A variety of motives for this may exist such as a desire to avoid being seen as foolish, or a desire to avoid embarrassing or angering other members of the group. Groupthink may cause groups to make hasty, irrational decisions, where individual doubts are set aside, for fear of upsetting the group’s balance."

i dont fall into groupthink trap either. so what am I? individualist? unzombielike? useyourowndamnbrain guy?

ps. nice observation nervous guy. i have noticed this myself.

man this is right on the money. well said. i agree 100%

1. No one wants the rookie QB to start week 1.

2. The offensive line no longer is horrible, there are two top 40 picks on the line, a vet, a young player that is showing development and a turnstile of the week.

3. With Blaine coming out early the 2012 QBs are looking dicey to bad.

If Mallet decided to stay, which I doubt, he would likely be the #1 overall in the 2012 draft.

Locker is complete garbage, and there was never a lottery for Locker with anyone that was paying attention.

Luck, Cam, and Mallet is most likely going to be a special QB class. The Bills have an opportunity to compete, somewhat, with Fitz and spend a season working with Cam or Mallet a la Philip Rivers. Rivers another immobile QB with a cannon arm that most everyone thought was an immature jerk coming out of college.

I agree on the Fitzpatrick front, there's no need to take a QB in round 1 or 2.

As for Whitner, if he wanted to be paid like a "solid" player he'll likely still be with the team. I'm guessing, however, he wants a pay increase from that of the top 10 draft pick money he got 4 years ago. That's a trap the Bills would be wise to avoid as "solid" safety play isn't that difficult to find and can be gotten for much cheaper than Whitner.

Imo, the Bills need to be looking at the front 7 on D and at the T position on O. I disagree with you that the WR spot is a weak one - it's not spectacular but it's very solid once healthy.

I agree on the Fitzpatrick front, there's no need to take a QB in round 1 or 2.

As for Whitner, if he wanted to be paid like a "solid" player he'll likely still be with the team. I'm guessing, however, he wants a pay increase from that of the top 10 draft pick money he got 4 years ago. That's a trap the Bills would be wise to avoid as "solid" safety play isn't that difficult to find and can be gotten for much cheaper than Whitner.

Imo, the Bills need to be looking at the front 7 on D and at the T position on O. I disagree with you that the WR spot is a weak one - it's not spectacular but it's very solid once healthy.

Definitely more concise than I put it but absolutely 100% on the money.

P.S. I have thought this for a while and I am hopefully completely wrong but I don't think Merriman will ever play a down for the Bills.

Edited by PDaDdy

More importantly, their teams already has a good OL in place - something we are atleast two players short of. I do agree there is no single way to accomplish the goals but the most proven one is to get a franchise QB when you have the opportunity. Ideally, one or two years before you really need one.

The most successful team in the last 10 years is either the Pats or the Colts. One of them drafted the stud QB, the other built a solid team and fell into an elite QB in the 7th round. I figure the best thing to do now is fix the problems that are huge and upgrade on the QB later, if at all. I still say Fitz should get a fair shake at being the guy through training camp and have a whole season. What is the worst that happens? We are miserable again and we end up drafting a QB. We aren't going to get Luck anyway so why bother reaching with the #3 pick on a guy who is probably only going to be as good (at best) as Fitz was this past year? do you really think Locker/Mallet/Newton are franchise changers?

Nope, you are sane. Most of the loudest voices on here are irrational, or when not irrational, blinded by rage. Nervous Guy is right about the groupthink.

Fortunately, I doubt anyone running the team is reading TBD for advice.

Re: Wide receivers...

The reason why I say the group is weak, is because our top two guys, while talented, have very big flaws. Evans seems to just go through the motions and only runs deep. Johnson has hands of stone.

If Nelson and Easley work out, Roscoe returns to making plays, Johnson catches more consistently and Evans is used in a more creative fashion, then yes, I agree we have a good set.

But as of right now, what I saw over the last few games of the season, was disappointing.

Re: Wide receivers...

The reason why I say the group is weak, is because our top two guys, while talented, have very big flaws. Evans seems to just go through the motions and only runs deep. Johnson has hands of stone.

If Nelson and Easley work out, Roscoe returns to making plays, Johnson catches more consistently and Evans is used in a more creative fashion, then yes, I agree we have a good set.

But as of right now, what I saw over the last few games of the season, was disappointing.

i like evans.

i love stevie. however, he has slippery ass hands. that started annoying me and if not fixed could easily turn into a love/hate relationship.