Why is Gailey keeping Edwards?

PS 56

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Because, the King has not yet summoned his court (Buddy, Brandon, Gailey) to his Miami castle for Wii golf, tea & crumpets, and their annual season end meeting and ass chewing.

Ralph's first question is always "can we beat Miami"? If the answer is yes, then it's "all good".

Our defense was just awful this year. Yes, Schobel was missing but our problems were deeper than that. Despite the poor showing Gailey is keeping Edwards as the Defensive coordinator. Why? :wallbash:

Maybe he is still under contract and Ralph won't let him fire him and pay two coordinators at the same time.

Why? Because Edwards was Chan's pick for the DC position and he is not going to give up on him after one year (no matter how crappy the D was this year). If you give up on him after one year, what does that say to the new guy if his new scheme doesn't work next year? Also, your players are forever in a state of learning a new scheme and will never fully grasp it if they are changing DC's year in and year out. Are there better options out there? Without a doubt, however those other options will have a high cost and Wilson will not pay a DC as much or more than he is paying his head coach. We're stuck with Edwards for at least one more year, if there is no improvement next year (not sure how there can't be), then I would expect a change.

Because, the King has not yet summoned his court (Buddy, Brandon, Gailey) to his Miami castle for Wii golf, tea & crumpets, and their annual season end meeting and ass chewing.

Ralph's first question is always "can we beat Miami"? If the answer is yes, then it's "all good".

Actually that is his 5th or 6th question, before that comes "Who am I?" "Where am I?" "The Buffalo Who?" "Win-what is that?"

I wish I knew. I didn't see Edwards doing any positive this year. We had bad talent last year, but Fewell made it work by getting the team to create turnovers. This year we couldn't stop the run and we did not create very many turnovers. With the way the defense played this year the question to ask is how did we ever get 4 wins -- must be some other real bad teams out there.

I think talent trumps scheme. How much can you do with these slappers? John Fox is a great D coordinator, too, but he couldn't make his bunch play well. Let's get a legitimate NFL roster before we worry too much about the coordinators.

So, when will the Bills realize they gotta stop drafting schleps like Whitner, Poz, McKelvin, and Maybin with high Picks?

I think talent trumps scheme. How much can you do with these slappers? John Fox is a great D coordinator, too, but he couldn't make his bunch play well. Let's get a legitimate NFL roster before we worry too much about the coordinators.

If we don't have good coordinators/coaches how will we know when the Bills have a legitimate NFL team? This is a chicken/egg question I think. Shouldn't you hire good coaches/coordinators to get the most out of your roster while at the same time building up that roster?

Um, maybe the defense was bad bc the Bills took at a team suited for Cover 2 defense and switched it to the 3-4. In other words, the coaching staff decided to change from a scheme that requires smaller, quick players to a scheme that requires very large players (who also..should be quick).

That is pretty dramatic. I don't think anyone expected immediate success. Now maybe the Bills need to be questioned for making a decision like that in the first place, but you can't blame Edwards for not getting success w/o almost 0 players who are natural fits for their positions.

Um, maybe the defense was bad bc the Bills took at a team suited for Cover 2 defense and switched it to the 3-4. In other words, the coaching staff decided to change from a scheme that requires smaller, quick players to a scheme that requires very large players (who also..should be quick).

That is pretty dramatic. I don't think anyone expected immediate success. Now maybe the Bills need to be questioned for making a decision like that in the first place, but you can't blame Edwards for not getting success w/o almost 0 players who are natural fits for their positions.

One aspect I can't get past is that we changed to a 3-4 -in part- because we saw it all the time in our division and couldn't do a damn thing against it, with Trent a the helm. He -and his terrible QB play- is long gone and Fitz showed he could move a club against any defense. I think the lack of pure 3-4 talent this year forced changes in schemes as a result, but multiple fronts isn't a bad thing, so long as it's developed to the talents and skills on your team.

I blame Trent Edwards

Why? Because Edwards was Chan's pick for the DC position and he is not going to give up on him after one year (no matter how crappy the D was this year). If you give up on him after one year, what does that say to the new guy if his new scheme doesn't work next year? Also, your players are forever in a state of learning a new scheme and will never fully grasp it if they are changing DC's year in and year out. Are there better options out there? Without a doubt, however those other options will have a high cost and Wilson will not pay a DC as much or more than he is paying his head coach. We're stuck with Edwards for at least one more year, if there is no improvement next year (not sure how there can't be), then I would expect a change.

I don't necessarily agree. Trent Edwards was Gailey's choice and Chan corrected that really quick. I don't see Chan letting his pride get in the way of making a change, whenever, and where ever needed. During the season this change would not be made, but now that the season is over, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if it happens. Bottom line is Chan and Nix can't afford another experimental disaster next year. If there are "experienced" and "suscessful" DC available, and they make the Bills D better I think Chan and Buddy will go after them.

Edited by Mr. T

Even if Chan wanted a new DC, it's not like there are proven DC's around the league lining up to come coach in Buffalo. It's either keep Edwards, who has a year under his belt of working with our players, or find someone else who will probably be inexperienced and way over his head just the same..

Maybe he is still under contract and Ralph won't let him fire him and pay two coordinators at the same time.

Your exactly right,Ralph shops for his GM's coaches and players at Bargain World.

5-11 in 2011

IMO, Chan really messed up in the first place by:

1. Not hiring an actual O.C., and calling the plays himself, which compounds the following:

2. Bringing in an inexperienced selection for D.C.

3. Forcing the switch to a system no body could coach/play.

4. Not sticking with a D scheme.

Even if Chan wanted a new DC, it's not like there are proven DC's around the league lining up to come coach in Buffalo. It's either keep Edwards, who has a year under his belt of working with our players, or find someone else who will probably be inexperienced and way over his head just the same..

Agree. First of all Chan does not strike me as a guy who will bring in a DC and fore him in one year, especially with the lack of talent we have on defense.

Next, a top notch DC in the NFL probably makes as much or more than what Ralph is paying Chan.

Agree. First of all Chan does not strike me as a guy who will bring in a DC and fore him in one year, especially with the lack of talent we have on defense.

Next, a top notch DC in the NFL probably makes as much or more than what Ralph is paying Chan.

Doesn't it seem odd that the lack of talent on D became so much more pronounced AFTER Edwards took over?

:unsure: