We're drafting a DB in first 2 rounds

Whitner and Wilson are gone. McGee keeps getting injured and might be done. McKelvin is too inconsistent to be anything close to shut-down. Scott and Florence's contract are coming up.

Defenses are now being built from the secondary - up. Get ready, it's happening.

Whitner and Wilson are gone. McGee keeps getting injured and might be done. McKelvin is too inconsistent to be anything close to shut-down. Scott and Florence's contract are coming up.

Defenses are now being built from the secondary - up. Get ready, it's happening.

And Youboty's contract is up as well, not that it matters much. Honestly, I hope to see a reasonably priced FA in the mix.

Yeah, we've been following that approach for years. Works awesome. :wallbash:

Whitner could be gone, but why Wilson?

Coach Jauron?

Which defenses are built from seconday up?

John Clayton just wrote an article about it. I don't have the link.

I'm not saying this is the way I WANT the bills to go, but I do think it is the way we are going to address it.

There is no top OL talent like last year in the first 5 picks, Luck won't be there. It will either be a DE/OLB or Peterson/Prince at CB. If they feel either of those guys can be shutdown, that's going to be the first pick.

Think about all the garbage sacks we got off coverage. Now add a shutdown corner - that makes the whole D-line better. Plus statistically it is a much safer pick that high than a DL.

Who's your seller? Can he hook me up with what you're smoking????

Some people need to stop projecting their own desires onto the Bills front office. I don't like it any more than anyone else, but the OP has a very legitimate point. This year, the Bills had 7 DBs who got regular/significant playing time when healthy (8 if you count Bryan Scott, who mostly played as a nickel LB). Of those, 3 are unrestricted free agents, and another has fairly significant injury issues, especially given his age. Those 4 are arguably our top 2 safeties and top 2 corners (when healthy). Definitely 2 of the top 3 in both cases. If Florence goes and management has concerns about McGee's leg, they're looking at a starting QB tandem of McLovin & Corner, with either a re-signed Youboty or a gimpy McGee as the nickel back. That's the kind of situation that can justify an early pick on a CB. Safety would be a lot harder for the Bills to justify, but based on their history, I wouldn't put it past them.

To reiterate, even if every free agent in our secondary leaves, I would personally prefer that the Bills still focus on either the O-line or defensive front 7, and take their chances with a crappy secondary. I'm sick of having the worst run defense in the NFL. I'd also be happy with a move up to get Luck. Drafting a DB in the first 2 rounds would greatly upset me. Having said that, if Prince Akamura is a Revis/Nnamdi/Champ Bailey/Woodson type lockdown CB, he would be a great pick at #3 for any team. Those guys are very hard to find and almost invaluable defensively. No idea if he is or not.

yup..we have to draft a db somewhere in the mix but probably not in the first two rounds. Free agency is looking good. I watched Lawyer Milloy playing for the seahawks, saw Antoine Winfield strip the ball last week, and it seems Jim Leonard and Nate Clements are doing just fine where they are playing. We gotta get on the receiving end of the free agency situation.

If we had been active in free agency and available trades last year? We'd have opened the season with Michael Vick at QB, Flozell Adams at tackle, Faneca at gaurd (along with Incognito who we would have actually kept) and been a lot better.

Free agency and trades are part of the mix. The Bills superbowl teams relied on good drafts (Smith, Kelly, Thomas Reed) but also on wise trades and free agency....Tasker, Lofton, Biscuit, etc.

Some people need to stop projecting their own desires onto the Bills front office. I don't like it any more than anyone else, but the OP has a very legitimate point. This year, the Bills had 7 DBs who got regular/significant playing time when healthy (8 if you count Bryan Scott, who mostly played as a nickel LB). Of those, 3 are unrestricted free agents, and another has fairly significant injury issues, especially given his age. Those 4 are arguably our top 2 safeties and top 2 corners (when healthy). Definitely 2 of the top 3 in both cases. If Florence goes and management has concerns about McGee's leg, they're looking at a starting QB tandem of McLovin & Corner, with either a re-signed Youboty or a gimpy McGee as the nickel back. That's the kind of situation that can justify an early pick on a CB. Safety would be a lot harder for the Bills to justify, but based on their history, I wouldn't put it past them.

To reiterate, even if every free agent in our secondary leaves, I would personally prefer that the Bills still focus on either the O-line or defensive front 7, and take their chances with a crappy secondary. I'm sick of having the worst run defense in the NFL. I'd also be happy with a move up to get Luck. Drafting a DB in the first 2 rounds would greatly upset me. Having said that, if Prince Akamura is a Revis/Nnamdi/Champ Bailey/Woodson type lockdown CB, he would be a great pick at #3 for any team. Those guys are very hard to find and almost invaluable defensively. No idea if he is or not.

You and the OP do make solid points. I have one too....

This team might actually be stupid enough to do something like this. And, years of the merry go-round of first round DBs has left many Bills fans anticipating, and even at time accepting of this kind of idiotic, losing mentality.

When Polian left in early 1993, Levy gained power and hit the ground running with 2 straight first round corners. In his disasterous return in 2006, he gave us Donte Whitner, and the rest of this pitiful draft. He also brought us Dick Jauron, who drafted McKelvin at #11 and Byrd with an early 2nd. This with weak, sub-par lines, and playing in the elements. What absolute fools they were, and their record reflects this. So does the fact that nobody else wants Levy or Jauron. Wait.....Jauron is now a defensive backs assistant! :doh:

Oh well. I still cling to the hope that this era of idiocy and losing is coming to an end, and that we won't keep wasting our best resources.

And Youboty's contract is up as well, not that it matters much. Honestly, I hope to see a reasonably priced FA in the mix.

Where are you all getting your contract information from? As per KFFL here are our free agents yet I don't see Whitner listed so it's possible their listing is wrong.

Pos Player Name FA Status Previous Team Current Team

FB Corey McIntyre UFA Buffalo Bills Free Agent

OL Garrison Sanborn ERFA Buffalo Bills Free Agent

DL John McCargo UFA Buffalo Bills Free Agent

DL Marcus Stroud UFA Buffalo Bills Free Agent

LB Chris Kelsay UFA Buffalo Bills Free Agent

LB Paul Posluszny UFA Buffalo Bills Free Agent

CB Drayton Florence UFA Buffalo Bills Free Agent

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/static/nfl/features/freeagents/fa.php?option=By+Team&y=2011

Edited by The Jokeman

You and the OP do make solid points. I have one too....

This team might actually be stupid enough to do something like this. And, years of the merry go-round of first round DBs has left many Bills fans anticipating, and even at time accepting of this kind of idiotic, losing mentality.

When Polian left in early 1993, Levy gained power and hit the ground running with 2 straight first round corners. In his disasterous return in 2006, he gave us Donte Whitner, and the rest of this pitiful draft. He also brought us Dick Jauron, who drafted McKelvin at #11 and Byrd with an early 2nd. This with weak, sub-par lines, and playing in the elements. What absolute fools they were, and their record reflects this. So does the fact that nobody else wants Levy or Jauron. Wait.....Jauron is now a defensive backs assistant! :doh:

Who pray tell, did polian draft in 1990 and 1991 in the first round?

You're barking up the wrong tree with polian, as he has a clear track record of spending high picks on skill positions like CB, WR, and RB.

The problem hasn't been drafting position X in round 1. The problem has been not picking good players. Picking a bad OL in round one is going to "set the franchise back" as much as picking a bad CB.

Edited by Ramius

The OP makes some very very strong points, but also forget some key ones too:

- Without a new CBA, Whitner remains a RESTRICTED free agent. This also holds true for Poz and Youboty. I am not certain but it may even pertain to GW too, he was a RFA only 1 year ago. This will be an issue with the new CBA too. Either way they are not FAs until a new CBA is agreed upon, and even then they be restricted FAs.

- Last year we went into the draft wanting to fix the OL and didn’t select one until the 5th round.

- We selected Spiller with our first pick last year which filled no needs whatsoever and actually created one as our RBs are worse now than they were last season.

Also, no teams D is built from the secondary up. Well that’s not true because ours is and its the worst in the league. No GOOD teams D is built from the secondary up.

All that said I fully expect that prince ahakadoogie from Nebraska to be our pick (because that was reported already) for 3 reasons. 1- he is a CB we love CBs and should not even think about drafting a CB. 2- he isn’t even the best CB the LSU Peterson is from everything I have heard. 3- We will draft anyone who can return kicks in the top 10.

Who pray tell, did polian draft in 1990 and 1991 in the first round?

You're barking up the wrong tree with polian, as he has a clear track record of spending high picks on skill positions like CB, WR, and RB.

The problem hasn't been drafting position X in round 1. The problem has been not picking good players. Picking a bad OL in round one is going to "set the franchise back" as much as picking a bad CB.

Polian drafts dbs AFTER he builds the rest of the team. You don't use your best resources on the secondary when your football team is already small and weak unless you are a dumb football exec.

Levy and Jauron were clueless.

Where are you all getting your contract information from? As per KFFL here are our free agents yet I don't see Whitner listed so it's possible their listing is wrong.

Pos Player Name FA Status Previous Team Current Team

FB Corey McIntyre UFA Buffalo Bills Free Agent

OL Garrison Sanborn ERFA Buffalo Bills Free Agent

DL John McCargo UFA Buffalo Bills Free Agent

DL Marcus Stroud UFA Buffalo Bills Free Agent

LB Chris Kelsay UFA Buffalo Bills Free Agent

LB Paul Posluszny UFA Buffalo Bills Free Agent

CB Drayton Florence UFA Buffalo Bills Free Agent

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/static/nfl/features/freeagents/fa.php?option=By+Team&y=2011

Ya. Something must be wrong here cause Whitner is missing and, McIntyre signed a few weeks ago for another 2 or so years.

Polian drafts dbs AFTER he builds the rest of the team. You don't use your best resources on the secondary when your football team is already small and weak unless you are a dumb football exec.

Levy and Jauron were clueless.

Polian didn't "build the trenches early" in indy. He started off with Manning, and has taken exactly 1.5 lineman (on either side, with Hughes last season as the 0.5 since he's a DE/OLB) in round 1 in his tenure in Indy.

Crusade all you want, but don't ignore the plain fact that Bill Polian spends his 1st round picks on skill players.

Polian didn't "build the trenches early" in indy. He started off with Manning, and has taken exactly 1.5 lineman (on either side, with Hughes last season as the 0.5 since he's a DE/OLB) in round 1 in his tenure in Indy.

Crusade all you want, but don't ignore the plain fact that Bill Polian spends his 1st round picks on skill players.

Please stop my friend. Who was drafted with the first 2 picks the year before Manning got there?

If I crusade (and I actually want a qb this year), mine is consistent and overt. Come out, come out and tell us of your love for Levy/Jauron. And btw, you are not alone.