Brohm Challenge #2

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw nothing positive in Brohm today. However, to be fair, he has no real game experience and our WRs ans TEs did nothing to help him. I think Chan expected too much and should have simplified things for him. This was the game to run the ball and feature Freddy Jackson. This was the time for our OL to make a statement against a tough devision foe. Brohm needed Jackosn to carry the load. There were drops and fumbles by Stevie Johnson and others that also hurt us.

Overall Brohm showed a real lack of experience and was not comfortable in the pocket. He made bad decisions and his reads were not good. Is that what you want to hear?

More importantly, I learned that Fitz makes our offensive line look halfway decent when they, in fact, are not.

I hope im not just being negative but i feel like Brohm has been on this team as the second quarterback long enough to have some idea about how the New Jersey Jets defense works. As Bills fans we just have to stop making excuses for these guys. They are supposed to be professionals and they dang sure make enough money to figure out a way to make themsleves useful. Fitzy was pretty close to making the Pro Bowl with almost the same offensive line. I would personally rather saw 6 sacks than 3 ints. and i bet Gailey agrees

Edited by Dayzofglory

I hope im not just being negative but i feel like Brohm has been on this team as the second quarterback long enough to have some idea about how the New Jersey Jets defense works. As Bills fans we just have to stop making excuses for these guys. They are supposed to be professionals and they dang sure make enough money to figure out a way to make themsleves useful. Fitzy was pretty close to making the Pro Bowl with almost the same offensive line. I would personally rather saw 6 sacks than 3 ints. and i bet Gailey agrees

True. Experience would teach you to take the sack and not force a bad pass that will be picked.

I saw nothing positive in Brohm today. However, to be fair, he has no real game experience and our WRs ans TEs did nothing to help him. I think Chan expected too much and should have simplified things for him. This was the game to run the ball and feature Freddy Jackson. This was the time for our OL to make a statement against a tough devision foe. Brohm needed Jackosn to carry the load. There were drops and fumbles by Stevie Johnson and others that also hurt us.

Just curious as to what you saw in our running game that made you think it was being successful and could be relied upon to put drives together.

We picked up barely 2 yards a carry on the ground. The patchwork OL wasn't getting anything done at all.

Overall Brohm showed a real lack of experience and was not comfortable in the pocket. He made bad decisions and his reads were not good. Is that what you want to hear?

More importantly, I learned that Fitz makes our offensive line look halfway decent when they, in fact, are not.

The line playing today was a bunch of junk thrown together.

By the way, I've seen a lot of people criticizing Brohm for not making or fixing all the line calls. One point there is that the Bills played this game without Hangartner, who actually makes the line calls normally. Now, Fitzgibbons may have made some adjustments if he were in there, but like you suggest above, maybe Gailey took some of the load off Brohm? I've also seen plays that look like Hangartner made a call that the rest of the line seems to ignore or not understand at any rate in earlier games this season. If it weren't so pathetic, it would be comical.

Just curious as to what you saw in our running game that made you think it was being successful and could be relied upon to put drives together.

We picked up barely 2 yards a carry on the ground. The patchwork OL wasn't getting anything done at all.

The line playing today was a bunch of junk thrown together.

By the way, I've seen a lot of people criticizing Brohm for not making or fixing all the line calls. One point there is that the Bills played this game without Hangartner, who actually makes the line calls normally. Now, Fitzgibbons may have made some adjustments if he were in there, but like you suggest above, maybe Gailey took some of the load off Brohm? I've also seen plays that look like Hangartner made a call that the rest of the line seems to ignore or not understand at any rate in earlier games this season. If it weren't so pathetic, it would be comical.

I actually saw nothing in the line play to support a strong running game. I think we should have done more to try to run and that should have been Plan A. That is all. I think Gailey had Brohm throwing too much right from the start and the Jets teed off on him.

I also think that the O-line really misses Hangartner.

I actually saw nothing in the line play to support a strong running game. I think we should have done more to try to run and that should have been Plan A. That is all. I think Gailey had Brohm throwing too much right from the start and the Jets teed off on him.

What our o-line is really missing is steroids, lots and lots of steroids.

I think many people missed that we had a good drive going on first possession but after that he looked putrid

What our o-line is really missing is steroids, lots and lots of steroids.

what we are missing is a coach that can teach these guys how to HOLD their blocks like the Cheaters do

Edited by bills_fan_in_raleigh

All excellent observations. Congratulations to one and all. One of the best threads I've read all season. I'm proud to be a member of TBD and a fan of the Bills since their inception.

Now it's time to turn my focus to the Sabres.

Gailey did the same thing with Fitz when he took over and he did well throwing the ball. If you don't challenge your players you will never know what they can offer.

I saw nothing positive in Brohm today. However, to be fair, he has no real game experience and our WRs ans TEs did nothing to help him. I think Chan expected too much and should have simplified things for him.

Bob,

If he were Levi Brown the rookie, I would agree with you. Brohm's not a rookie, it's his 3rd season.

Last year when Brohm was acquired mid-season and they "simplified" for his games, I thought "fair enough". This year, Brohm had the same amount of time to learn the playbook as Fitz, coupled with the "QB competition" that split the snaps.

So I'd like to agree with you - but I can't.

And frankly, I think that's one of the things Chan wanted to see. Brohm was quoted at the start of the season as saying he was ready to step up and be the starter. I think Chan may have been "Okay - Stand and Deliver" to Brohm.

It's not what I want to hear. I liked Brohm in college and was pulling for him to come in and make good.

It's the truth, though. I saw it that way too. Sometimes truth hurts.

And the bottom line is if he can't be comfortable in the pocket, make good reads, and make good decisions, then he's not ready to be an NFL backup quarterback. and we have another need to add to the shopping list. It's the backup's job to be ready to come in and play, at the drop of a flag much less with all the snaps for a week. If he can't handle the full game plan, he can't handle the job of backup QB in the NFL.

You live in St Louis, you likely know about Fitz 1st game in the NFL as a rookie:

19-30 for 310 yds (63%) 3 TD 1 INT 117.4 rating

Rams did not have a strong line that year - QBs sacked 46 times, finished 6-10.

Fitz didn't keep up that standard of play, which is understandable for a rookie and is why he was traded. But he showed something. If Fitz had come in and played like Brohm in his 1st 2 NFL starts, he'd have been cut.

This was the game to run the ball and feature Freddy Jackson.

I thought they tried to run more persistently than usual and just got swamped. But maybe I'm wrong, I haven't looked at the pass/run breakdown yet. (I'm afraid of today's box score - :bag: )

You're absolutely correct about the OL and Fitz's masking effect, which makes me more hopeful for Fitz as a QB actually.