Brohm Challenge #2

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, so in Simon's original post (which he prematurely closed) he wanted specifics as to why Brohm didn't do well.

This is the best specific I can come up with.

10/23 106yds. 0 touchdowns, 3 int. AGAINST THE JETS BACKUPS

Quite frankly, you don't need specifics, you need this, he hasn't won a game in the NFL YET. That is all I need.

I am sorry, but Brohm isn't it. He plays terrible. Spare me the" he hasn't played the entire season", I don't want to hear it. Matt Ryans first game EVER, in fact, first PASS EVER in the NFL was a touchdown, right? So spare the excuses. He didn't cut it in GB, was outplayed by Flynn for the backup role, and he isn't cutting it here either.

A lot of players aren't cutting it on this franchise, and it is time that these players go. Brohm is one of them, unfortunately. I had hoped that he would have succeeded, but as in GB, that simply is not the case here in Buffalo. Chan said "this is a tough game, for tough people" and we don't have many tough people on this team. The 3rd pick in the draft should not be used on one person, it should be used wisely to gain more positions in the draft so that this team can start to stockpile talented players. I hate to say it, but if you want to see a team run the draft effectively just look at Belicheck and the Patriots.

Im curious of what you saw from Brohm today that gave you a good feeling about the fact that he will be a good quarterback for the Bills or any other team at any point in his career? Please be specific

He will be a good quarterback for the Bills if he is starting for the opposing team.

Ok, so in Simon's original post (which he prematurely closed) he wanted specifics as to why Brohm didn't do well.

Quite frankly, you don't need specifics, you need this, he hasn't won a game in the NFL YET. That is all I need.

I am sorry, but Brohm isn't it. He plays terrible. Spare me the" he hasn't played the entire season", I don't want to hear it. Matt Ryans first game EVER, in fact, first PASS EVER in the NFL was a touchdown, right? So spare the excuses. He didn't cut it in GB, was outplayed by Flynn for the backup role, and he isn't cutting it here either.

A lot of players aren't cutting it on this franchise, and it is time that these players go. Brohm is one of them, unfortunately. I had hoped that he would have succeeded, but as in GB, that simply is not the case here in Buffalo. Chan said "this is a tough game, for tough people" and we don't have many tough people on this team. The 3rd pick in the draft should not be used on one person, it should be used wisely to gain more positions in the draft so that this team can start to stockpile talented players. I hate to say it, but if you want to see a team run the draft effectively just look at Belicheck and the Patriots.

Not making excuses for Brohm but he was playing with 3rd, 4th, 5th, 10th string WR's, TE's and offensive linemen.

If in your book it's fair to criticize him for his lack of production against the Jets backups it needs to be fair to cut him some slack for the teammates he had today.

Edited by FreakPop

I agree that Brohm isn't "it" based on what I saw in today's game.

I also think the above "best specific" above is pretty silly.

For example, Peyton Manning lost his first 4 NFL games and threw 3 INT in 3 of the first 4.

So if not winning an NFL game when the QB has played what, 2? or throwing 3 INT, that would be all you'd need to get rid of Manning. Criteria FAIL. I could easily see a QB with those stats where I thought he had potential.

We also must keep in mind he was playing with a scrub RG and RT and backup WR.

What I didn't like of Brohm was apparently poor pocket presence/mobility, slow release, slow decision making, and lack of change or adjustment through the game. He got drilled every throw where a healthy Fitz would have gotten away. He may also have contributed to poor line play by protection calls at the LOS. He looked lost, and helpless.

It's Catch-22 for Brohm, I'm afraid - if he could play more in the NFL, he might bring it up a level. At this point, his role is backup. The backup has to be the guy who can be counted on to step in and step up without playing every game.

A lot of players aren't cutting it on this franchise, and it is time that these players go. Brohm is one of them

Agree completely. Agree on Brohm, unfortunately.

I do disagree that 0 wins in 2 starts or his game stats are sufficient. It's how he lost there.

The rest of what you say - when you're right, you're right. We do not have many tough people on this team.

And I hate the Pats* but I'd love to have their front office/talent evaluation.

Not making excuses for Brohm but he was playing with 3rd, 4th, 5th, 10th string WR's, TE's and offensive linemen.

If in your book it's fair to criticize him for his lack of production against the Jets backups it needs to be fair to cut him some slack for the teammates he had today.

That's a fair point. He still sucked, though.

Edited by Offsides Number 76

For example, Peyton Manning lost his first 4 NFL games and threw 3 INT in 3 of the first 4.

So if not winning an NFL game when the QB has played what, 2? or throwing 3 INT, that would be all you'd need to get rid of Manning. Criteria FAIL. I could easily see a QB with those stats where I thought he had potential.

We also must keep in mind he was playing with a scrub RG and RT and backup WR.

Regarding Manning: That was Mannings first year in the league. There is a learning curve there. Brohm is no rookie. He has been in the league 3-4 years now. He has learned behind one of the best in Aaron Rodgers, and Brett Farve (I think he was there at the end of Farves tenure in GB). At some point it is either sink or swim, Brohm sunk.

As far as the backups go. Brohm takes reps with the second team. He should know these linemen, and receivers he is throwing too then. He should know they types of routes they run, their speed, and their abilities. I understand it is practice, but Fitz kept David Nelson, Roosevelt, Jones and others behind at practice when Evans went down to better prepare them. At some point as a QB you need to step up and show leadership. He has also failed in that respect.

I hate to do it, but I am going to bring up Frank Reich. He was a leader when he was on the field, as a QB should be. Whether your a backup or not, when you are on the field, then it is your team that you are leading. Today, Fitz wasn't the leader, Brohm was. Fitz was a spectator only.