Shawne Merriman tweets "exciting news for bills fans"

FluffHead

I understand your skepticism especially as you mention, what he's done the last three years. But what is exciting is the possibility of him getting past personal issues and some injuries, and resembling the type of player he was. If he does that, it could be substantial for a team starving for LB's.

If he can get "football healthy" again, it would be great to have Mr. Merriman on the starting roster. Let's hope 2011 brings some good fortune to the Bills.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Both Miami and Tampa Bay put a waiver claim for him after the Chargers released him. That is, they were ready to pay the 3.2M to sign him to their team.

If Miami and an upcoming Tampa offer even the Vet Minimum, I see Merriman going there rather than cold Buffalo.

Yes Tampa and Miami wanted him...BEFORE he injured himself stretching. Kind of doubt they are still interested. And I'm not saying Merriman is going to ever be the Merriman of old again, but I believe Nix will show some faith and give him the chance to heal and see what he can become in Buffalo.

PTR

Both Miami and Tampa Bay put a waiver claim for him after the Chargers released him. That is, they were ready to pay the 3.2M to sign him to their team.

If Miami and an upcoming Tampa offer even the Vet Minimum, I see Merriman going there rather than cold Buffalo.

Isn't cold weather good for arthritic knees? :devil:

Uh, okay.

So what then do you make of Merriman's tweet?

That he's signing with the Dolphins to bolster their IR? It's supposed to be good news for Bills fans after all. :ph34r:

But wait a minute....I thought

- Nix was an idiot

- Shawn would never sign with us and was just using us

- Shawn would jump to the some other team at the first opportunity

???????? Oh wait......maybe its cuz NIX KNOWS MORE THEN THE FANS DO

Star players will come to Buffalo when the organization starts (1) winning, and (2) paying for performance.

Most players want to win. Put together a team that has a shot at the Super Bowl and free agents will come. These guys make so much money that they can live anywhere they want.

Merriman has a lot to prove and obviously he and Nix have a great relationship. If he can come back it will be one big step forward for the defense.

I'm predicting a one year deal for Merriman near vet minimum but with incentives. No other team is going to offer him anything. At least he has a relationship with Nix and may like the direction Chan is taking the team.

PTR

+1.

I'm with you on this.

The Bills are working with the Merriman camp to produce a contract to be a member of the team. I personally feel it would be longer than 1 year (that's too much a Darcy Regier thing to do), but this post sounds an awful lot like that.

Providing he can ever play near his top form again drug free, this would be a nice acquisition.

he found a masking agent that works

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

That, and the Bills are bringing Tila Tequila in for coaching support.

One of the things Marty shot [Ed: Schottenheimer] said in teh Peter King interview was that Buddy pushed hard for Merriman on draft day . I agree with the poster who said low risk high reward. Thye are due for a break don't you think

On the Maybin front , makes me sick that it looks like he is going to be a total bust. I know he is young but two years and he can't get on the field. Know sense cutting him until next August, perhaps the light goes on somehow . What a shame

still wearing his Bills hat on his twitter page. hmm

IF Shawne Merriman is healthy,we all know he can play. He could be a great addition to this team. I think he will sign a deal with us and i think thats a good thing. Everyone might think its a bad signing but i think its great IF he is healthy. Lets wait to judge until we see his health,after sitting out for a couple months now.

Yes Tampa and Miami wanted him...BEFORE he injured himself stretching. Kind of doubt they are still interested. And I'm not saying Merriman is going to ever be the Merriman of old again, but I believe Nix will show some faith and give him the chance to heal and see what he can become in Buffalo.

PTR

I'm with PTR here.

I hope it happens. I was bummed when he hurt himself practicing and thought his days as a Bill were over but I do the like idea of him giving him another shot. One less need (if he panned out) for our 2011-2012 PUSH!

Uh, that he might get more then vet min?

Ganesh said that Merriman would sign with Miami or Tampa Bay if either team offered him the veteran minimum.

In other words, Ganesh implied (inadvertently or not) that there was no way Merriman was going to re-sign with the Bills.

Also, the word is "than," not "then."

Otherwise, way to play within yourself.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

Just to be clear though.....we should not be relying on Shawn to come back and be a stud for us....we still need to go out and get other players should that not happen.

Gotta hedge our bets

I think that Nix is smart enough to realize that Merriman is a bonus to whatever production he has and can't be counted on as filling a need. Its a risk one worth taking considering the potential reward and the low risk. Its really just about trying to catch lighting in a bottle with him rather then relying on him to fill a need.

Its good to get a player when healthy can be effective in the 3-4 or the 4-3. Big question is when healthy.

I guess his re signing would be exciting news, but if they use this as an excuse to not strengthen the LB core and just say, "Well, we did sign a former pro bowler," then this is just bad news.

Edited by bills1960