Fox running Defense

RuffMuff

How about J. Fox as head of the Defense next year? He usually seemed to have good defenses even before HC. I doubt he can jump right back to a head job. Does he have any connections to Gailey? Is Edwards a shoe in for next year? They did improve somewhat...Whatever that means!

jon fox will be a head coach hes a big name. and has been coming up for the dallas job.

I dunno, J. Jones had a big woody on Garret a few years back and half year isnt long enough to know if he could be a good HC. Jones may be from Texas (and ugly) but he isnt that stupid.

actually, taking this point a step further, does anybody think that Edwards could be replaced next year? My first reaction is no but there may be a lot of great D-Coordinators out there, Wade Phillips, John Fox, Singletary, Marvin Lewis may get canned, Leslie Frazier...

Word was that Gailey wanted Ted Nolan last year before Miami snapped him up, perhaps we make a move here.

just a thought

I've been thinking along these lines. Unless this staff sees things in Edwards that we just don't see, there will be guys out there this offseason that have had top shelf defenses, and they'll be looking to land gigs - some of them, I'd guess, looking to take on a coordinator job simply because it is easier, and a H.C. can, and have shown in the past it is very likely, that after H.C. job, the step back to their original coordinator position usually lands results in the first year. Green Bay, Miami, Denver, are recent examples of quick turn arounds. So, I'd like to look at Marvin Lewis as Defensive Coordinator. That Baltimore defense he had was one of the top three ever. And, if not him, then there are certainly other guys out there who've had great success before, and should want to get back in - Cottrell?, PHillips, Lewis, Fox, Frazier, to name a few examples.

actually, taking this point a step further, does anybody think that Edwards could be replaced next year? My first reaction is no but there may be a lot of great D-Coordinators out there, Wade Phillips, John Fox, Singletary, Marvin Lewis may get canned, Leslie Frazier...

Word was that Gailey wanted Ted Nolan last year before Miami snapped him up, perhaps we make a move here.

just a thought

Thank God Ted Nolan isn't running our defense.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://assets.nydailynews.com/img/2008/07/15/amd_tednolan.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/hockey/islanders/2008/07/14/2008-07-14_ted_nolan_out_as_islanders_coach.html&usg=__a3kCvrBozLbwCm5ai8CDHg8CINI=&h=328&w=240&sz=50&hl=en&start=0&zoom=1&tbnid=fgfEtNzrEgd1XM:&tbnh=114&tbnw=91&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dted%2Bnolan%26hl%3Den%26biw%3D1024%26bih%3D532%26gbv%3D2%26tbs%3Disch:1&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=736&vpy=187&dur=262&hovh=124&hovw=91&tx=119&ty=155&ei=UsIeTceLOoH78AbbzJTFDQ&oei=UsIeTceLOoH78AbbzJTFDQ&esq=1&page=1&ndsp=18&ved=1t:429,r:10,s:0

just a thought

Phillips is out for obvious reasons. Frazier is unlikely to take a DC job with a team that passed him over for head coach. Nolan is not leaving Miami for another DC position.

Singletary is...an option..not a good one.

I don't really know enough about lewis' prior to him becoming a head coach for cincy.

Fox would be the best of that bunch in my opinion, but again, it seems unlikely Buffalo is his destination.

So, I'd like to look at Marvin Lewis as Defensive Coordinator. That Baltimore defense he had was one of the top three ever. And, if not him, then there are certainly other guys out there who've had great success before, and should want to get back in - Cottrell?, PHillips, Lewis, Fox, Frazier, to name a few examples.

After Marvin Lewis left Baltimore he was succeeded by Mike Nolan who was succeeded by Rex Ryan. These were the Ravens Defensive Coordinators from 1996-2008.

Don't you think a lot of the success that all 3 of these coaches have enjoyed as Ravens DC has a helluva lot to do with Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Terrell Suggs, Bart Scott, Tony Siragusa, Sam Adams, Haloti Ngata, and the constant parade of great defensive players through Baltimore over the last 15 years?

As was pointed out earlier, we spend all season criticizing the Bills lack of defensive talent and at the same time, we want to accuse George Edwards of doing a bad coaching job.

I hope you see my point.

How about J. Fox as head of the Defense next year? He usually seemed to have good defenses even before HC. I doubt he can jump right back to a head job. Does he have any connections to Gailey? Is Edwards a shoe in for next year? They did improve somewhat...Whatever that means!

Fox is a good coach. The issues in Carolina are similar to the ones in Buffalo - the talent cupboard is pretty empty. Among other things, I think losing Julius Peppers really hurt that team.

After Marvin Lewis left Baltimore he was succeeded by Mike Nolan who was succeeded by Rex Ryan. These were the Ravens Defensive Coordinators from 1996-2008.

Don't you think a lot of the success that all 3 of these coaches have enjoyed as Ravens DC has a helluva lot to do with Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Terrell Suggs, Bart Scott, Tony Siragusa, Sam Adams, Haloti Ngata, and the constant parade of great defensive players through Baltimore over the last 15 years?

As was pointed out earlier, we spend all season criticizing the Bills lack of defensive talent and at the same time, we want to accuse George Edwards of doing a bad coaching job.

I hope you see my point.

Good observations SJ.

just a thought

uhh,mike nolan or was it nolan ryan maybe ryan oneil. oh i know,it was leslie neilson

I hope you see my point.

SJBF, really great point bringing up a really great question: how much of a team's success is talent, and how much is scheme and coaching.

Unquestionably Ravens had fantastic talent. Also unquestionably when their starters went down to injury they were able to plug in less talented backups and still steamroll the opposition, which seems like both (good coaching, good talent)

I "get it" that Edwards didn't have a wealth of talent to work with

It also seems as though he started out with a scheme that didn't suit the talent he had and was very slow to adjust to reality

At least 3 of the 7 DL he started with were new this year and presumably he had some input into their selection

So I take your point, I also feel Edwards should bear responsibility

I would not be in favor of this at all. Fox is the only coach that can make Dick Jauron look like a genius (and he did last year, only coach I saw DJ just flat out out-coach in a game). His decision making is just awful. Maybe he knows schemes, but I'd be terrified of those in game decisions.

No thanks. As much as I would like to see George Edwards be shown the door...given the choice, I'd take keeping him over bringing in John Fox.

i think the improvement of the D over the course of the season has been pretty astounding personally. I know we still suck statisically but we are much better that last 4 weeks than the first 4. That doesnt mean I am agaisnt improving the team in any way we can.

We had improvement in the second half of the year by the games i watched. We started to load the line and see what the dbs could do. they did ok. with a stonger def front they will look better this coming year i think.

Oh and my pick to fix everything.. Mike Singletary as line backers coach. Not the whole defense. And pay him whatever.

He is really angry right now and would probably focus that on the field, He is an awesome def coach imo. but if we could pay him to do what he has always done best i am already rolling up all my spare change to send to Ralph with my letter about getting Mike. Instant killer def. Instant.

I work for a steak house in Dallas. Last week I worked the private room, and Jerry Jones was there. I was trying to be a professional but I did find myself listening to his conversation a bit. I'm not sure who the people were that he was with, but I did at one point hear him raving about the job that there coach has been doing. I know its not much but the way he was talking did not make me think it was a guy he was about to get rid of. Anyways, I would love the BILLS to grab a known D-guru and unleash Shawne M. GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!

I hope you see my point.

He took the 19th ranked defense in 2009 and then dropped it to number 24. 16th in points against to 27. he's made our defense worse. Our "defense" is horrid. I'm hoping Edwards is on the next bus after 2:00 pm out of Buffalo on Sunday.

I'd love to see Fox or Marvin Lewis or Leslie Frazier or Mike Nolan or maybe even Mike Singeltary for the job next year.