Maybe we should trade up

Thoner7

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Fitz is good enough to take a Bills team with a top 10 defense and top 5 OL/Running game and top 5 Special Teams deep into the playoffs. Therefore, I would do a deal like this years 1st and next years 3rd for a Mathis, Woodley or Wake. Or a stud LT. I'm just saying, our last 5 yrs 1st and 2nd round draft choices have gotten the team where it is today...

Plus the RAMS addressed the trenches first and than brought on the QB same thing with Falcons. People just dont get it we DO NOT NEED a Qb at this time we have more glaring needs and issues on this team.

True.

Two years ago they drafted a LT in the first round. Last year they drafted Roger Saffold with the first pick in the second round. They really needed a WR but they went with Saffold because he was, in their mind, the best player and a first round talent. Now have have the makings of pretty good bookends at tackle.

Take care of the trenches.

Edited by Bob in STL

i'm ALL IN on trading up to get Andrew Luck...assuming he comes out.

make up any silly trade proposal of draft picks and/or players and i'll probably say yes (Kyle Williams is the only untouchable).

draft picks...let's say we stay 4th overall...i would swap picks and give next year's #1......i would swap picks and give this year's 2nd, 3rd AND 4th or more if needed. name any three players.....done !!

Andrew Luck is a FRANCHISE QB......those lost draft picks are simply salary cap slots that can be filled in Free Agency or signing undrafted players.

Of course you'd trade Kyle Williams if it means getting Luck. If we can have five losing seasons and the worst run defense with him, then we can sure do it without him.

Spit my coffee on this one!:lol:

Yeah, I figured that post -while replying to RTDB's somewhat facitious post- would rile the masses. Of course Elway had other HOFer's on those teams, and only won once they had a running attack, but do we have any recent history to believe we'll strike gold with our first 3 picks in the upcoming draft?

Hope, nonetheless, springs eternal!

I know it's somewhat facetious; but at the same time, if the Bills are going to draft and start a #1 QB, they're likely to struggle. Hence, it's likely they'd be giving up some pretty primo picks, three of them in that proposed scenario, just to get that QB. Our history doesn't necessarily have to be a predictor of future failure or success. I know we don't have Polian, but we didn't we we drafted (and couldn't sign) Kelly, either.

I would like to have Luck - my point was that there's a limit to how much I'd like to have him, and they certainly don't need him at the expense of a better all-around team. I waver back and forth on how much value an upgrade at QB could mean to this team. Even with the enjoyable progress and an apparent plan, there are many, many questions to answer on this roster. Not the least of which is what positions can be filled by young players already in the system who will improve, and which ones demand draft/FA upgrades...

No. I consider myself a cold realist.

Now as to my question to you, how much have you seen Bradford play?

Not much, but luckily I subscribe to NFL Game Rewind (which is awesome and worth the $40). I can go back and see any Rams game. Why not give me 2-3 games that bolster your argument about Bradford and I'll give them a look? I'll give you my take after.

PTR

Not much, but luckily I subscribe to NFL Game Rewind (which is awesome and worth the $40). I can go back and see any Rams game. Why not give me 2-3 games that bolster your argument about Bradford and I'll give them a look? I'll give you my take after.

PTR

Promo, pick any Sam Bradford games you want. I couldn't care less.

As I said earlier, this is not about stats. It's about a rookie quarterback being drafted by a horrible team and subsequently being the biggest factor in that team's turnaround.

Watch any of his games. The kid is a very accurate passer. He makes very few mistakes for a rookie. He never loses his composure but he's a fierce competitor. He moves well, he has pocket presence, he's a good scrambler and he throws accurately on the run. He can make every throw on the velocity/touch spectrum. In my opinion it's impossible to not be impressed when watching Sam Bradford.

If you watch any three games of his and come away unimpressed, then I'll be very surprised.

The Bills are a team that can't afford to trade up. The draft is about estimating odds and placing bets. The Patsies are one of the best drafting teams because they place a lot of low risk bets with their draft picks. This team needs every draft pick it has in order to eventually make a competitive team again

I have been debating the franchise with a coworker and avid Buffalo fan all season. I realize he is much better imformed than me but,

I have taken and stuck with the side of building the defense up first. But here is the dilemna i am beginning to understand. Will we see another qb coming into the draft in the next couple years? One that is as seemingly good as Luck?

That is for you experts to decide. I think it would be wrong for us to put Luck behind center at this point when we are still sorting so many issues out there with offense and defense. I mean wrong for him and us. Now if we could get someone like him in two years or so, that might be a very good fit.

I want the kid, but now is not the time.. imho.

As I said earlier, this is not about stats. It's about a rookie quarterback being drafted by a horrible team and subsequently being the biggest factor in that team's turnaround.

Biggest? Yes. Only? No. Very important distinction.

Look at the Rams drafts from the last few years; they smartly drafted quality guys on the OL and front 7 and now they are seeing the dividends. The QB was not the first piece in the rebuilding. In fact, they even passed on Matt Ryan to address the defensive line.

There's no question that the Bills take Luck if he falls to them, but they simply can not afford to pay a king's ransom for him when they have the league's worst defense. That is a panic move (so is drafting Cam Newton). Championship teams are not built on panic moves. There will be another Sam Bradford or Andrew Luck next year and the year after.

I say it's gotta be D-End or Rush Linebacker with that 1st pick. Although trading back into the first is something we tried last year at the Tebow spot and it's something I'd like to see again. Love to see 'em move to 15-20 if Mallet is still there.

Has anyone heard Andrew Luck speak, by the way? I know he plays well, but I don't think he's an academic All American.

I say it's gotta be D-End or Rush Linebacker with that 1st pick. Although trading back into the first is something we tried last year at the Tebow spot and it's something I'd like to see again. Love to see 'em move to 15-20 if Mallet is still there.

Has anyone heard Andrew Luck speak, by the way? I know he plays well, but I don't think he's an academic All American.

I never have heard him speak but everyone goes out of there way to say how smart he is. Just like they can't say Fitz's name without mentioning that he went to Harvard.

http://bayarea.sbnation.com/stanford-cardinal/2010/12/28/1899642/andrew-luck-2011-nfl-draft-watch-stanford-cardinal-quarterback-college

a 3.5 GPA from a good school sounds pretty good.

I have been debating the franchise with a coworker and avid Buffalo fan all season. I realize he is much better imformed than me but,

I have taken and stuck with the side of building the defense up first. But here is the dilemna i am beginning to understand. Will we see another qb coming into the draft in the next couple years? One that is as seemingly good as Luck?

That is for you experts to decide. I think it would be wrong for us to put Luck behind center at this point when we are still sorting so many issues out there with offense and defense. I mean wrong for him and us. Now if we could get someone like him in two years or so, that might be a very good fit.

I want the kid, but now is not the time.. imho.

Every year...guaranteed. They will never run out of can't miss QB's.

PTR

"He" could be substituted for Mark Sanchez, Vince Young (at one time, at least), etc, too. Neither of them are yet top-15 QBs, and they might never be. Their draft positions afford them the benefit of the doubt and, in the case of Sanchez and Bradford, the branding of "poise" when they aren't getting the job done. I like Bradford, but I think you're right.

So you'd give up the chance at three high-potential players who could aid this roster for one high-potential player, who might be the best of them?

Would you give up Jim Kelly, Bruce Smith and Thurman Thomas (two high round ones and a two) for John Elway?

Dude it was a joke, see the smiley face?